“High waters and multiple dumps on the Colorado River”

Centennial Canoe Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Centennial
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1985, offering one day to five day guided and outfitted canoe and kayak adventures on nine river sections in CO, UT, WY plus WA and Costa Rica. Paddle through spectular canyons on the Colorado, Gunnison and Dolores rivers near Grand Junction, CO. Hiking is an option on many trips, including the beautiful Dominguez Canyon Wilderness Area. Trips available May-Sept. Theme trips include: family, wine tasting, music, archaeology, bird watching, geology, astronomy, western history, etc.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

High waters at the end of June on this 3 day tour on the Colorado River created more challenging conditions than Centennial predicted resulting in multiple dumps (including the head guide); some were avoidable and the result of bad judgement by the head guide. Everyone was rescued and uninjured and most of the equipment (including two lost canoes) were eventually found and retrieved. We enjoyed the scenery and canyon hiking on our middle lay day in camp, but were too engrossed in fighting the high waters and strong head winds to pay much attention to the scenery (other than the obstacles) while on the river. Others in our group have been on many prior Centennial Canoe trips and had never experienced anything near this bad before.

Dr. Dave

coloradojlg, Owner at Centennial Canoe Outfitters, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hello Dr. Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your trip. I agree with your assessment of the 3 capsized canoes (13 total canoes on the trip) in the 100-yard section called Black Rocks, on the 26 mile Colorado River stretch that you paddled. Our main concern was that no one was hurt, which they were not. This Black Rock section becomes narrow, creating large swirls and boils that can play havoc with water craft. Most people make it through right-side-up and others don’t. Two weeks ago, I paddled through this same section with a group of customers and no one capsized.

In closing, I do have one request. That is to be mindful that canoeing is a water sport and people get wet. Just like skiers fall down and cowboys get tossed from the saddle. I reckon it comes with the territory. I’m proud of the fact that Centennial Canoe trips don’t take place in a Disneyland environment and the elements create challenges for people. Mother Nature wouldn’t have it any other way.
Best,

in 17 reviews
"great trip"
"food was great"
in 7 reviews
"denver museum of nature and science"
in 3 reviews
"canyon"
in 14 reviews
"rapids"

Reviewed 13 June 2014

As a retired National Park Service Ranger, I have experienced river trips from the Everglades to the Brooks Range of Alaska. Since I wanted to support the San Juan Mountain Assoc. and to partake of Prof. Andy Gulliford's knowledge of all things western, I had signed up last year for the Gunnison, but knee surgery set me back. Centennial applied my fees to the Green River for 2014. I was not disappointed. Great planning, ideal guiding, happy hours and quite possibly, some of the best travel companions I have ever had made this trip a highlight for me. I am not exactly spry these days, but I was never made to feel like I shouldn't have tried the trip. I hope I will be able to squeeze in a couple more before I hang up my water sandals.

Whatever your experience or the lack thereof, these adventures will stay with you for the rest of your life. Sometimes we forget to have fun, fun, fun. Don't let time get away. Call up Centennial and just do it. "Jeff" Karraker

coloradojlg, Owner at Centennial Canoe Outfitters, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Jeff,
So glad to hear that you were able & willing to go out on one of our Centennial Canoe adventures and that you had a great time. We couldn't have asked for a better review. I hope this encourages other "mature" adults to take the plunge and try something new. Hope to see you again next year.
Best,
Co-Owner, Centennial Canoe

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We took the three day canoe trip on the Colorado River over Labor Day weekend. We canoed on calm water (a few wiggles), saw beautiful vistas, ate delicious food cooked by the guides, drank wine and laughed alot around the campfire. So refreshing to be outside in the wilderness and on the river. The end of a great summer. Centennial Canoe Outfitters provides experienced guides and a fun atmosphere. That was my 5th trip with them and loved them all.

coloradojlg, Owner at Centennial Canoe Outfitters, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Helen,
Thanks for taking the time to comment on your 5th canoe trip with Centennial Canoe. Glad you had a great time & looking forward to seeing you back for your 6th trip!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We went on the Colorado River Finnders & Youngberg float. It was a fabulous time. Great company, scenery, accommodations and fabulous music by Finnders & Youngberg (and a few of the guides were musically skilled as well!).

There was enough gear for everyone. The gear was in good shape. The information sheet that was sent to me via e-mail was all the info. I needed.

The guides were friendly and diligent. We had one canoe flop in our group and our guides were there in a split second to take care of the situation. Erin, Levi & Richard did a fabulous job of accommodating everyone with meals and information.

One comment I have is that the food was average. Not that I was expecting gourmet meals 3 times a day. BUT..... After floating on the river, hiking the trails and playing in the water I was glad to hear the kitchen call no matter what was on the menu.

I highly recommend Centennial Canoe Outfitters. I had a fabulous time and will definitely sign up for next year's Music Float!!!

Hello Zimmerlander,
Glad you had a fabulous time on your music/canoe adventure. Thanks for taking the time to comment & I look forward to seeing you on more canoe trips.