“Best of the Best”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
San Jose, California
“Best of the Best”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

The Grand Wailea is simply the best hotel/resort with the best beach & pools on the best Hawaiian Island.

We purchased our package from Costco

Service was outstanding. Wife and I stayed in the Napua Terrace which has some of the best views, and access to our own private breakfast and happy hour every day. We were here for 7 days.

We also had our own concierge desk for our tower.

Resort fees are $20 per day and valet is $20 per day. Free WiFi internet. access.

They have a complimentary scuba class which they hold in their 10 foot deep pool. Once the class is over, you can pay to go out with the instructors.

Water slides and pools are really fun.

Beach was very calm and scenic. No waves though. A lot of paddle boarders. They have staff to setup your lounge chairs and umbrellas. They also have separate beach and pool activity counters.

We also got the Grand Dining breakfast every morning. It was very good and had a lot of options, but after 7 days it starts to get a little old.

Our room had a mini fridge for us to use. Room service will bring up a microwave oven up to your room.

We loved spending time on our lanai and watching the sunsets.

They had a really nice outdoor mall with some really nice high-end shops within walking distance to the resort (Gucci, Tiffany, LV, BCBG, etc). My favorite shop there was Lappert's Coffee & Ice Cream.

Wife and I did the complimentary morning Yoga on the Beach class which was relaxing.

After staying at this place, it will be impossible for us to stay any where else.

We didn't have a chance to visit Spa Grande, but from what we heard it is one of the best on the island.

We cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Mention if your trip is a special occassion.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shabzinca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our first anniversary and I have to stay that we were stunned at the overall beauty of the resort as a whole, the rooms, and the service. We have been to many exceptional resorts including in French Polynesia and we both thought the Grand Wailea was just spectacular from the minute we arrived. We pretty much jumped right out of the car, tossed the keys to the valet, checked in without any wait with an outstanding front desk agent and were taken to a beautiful "garden view" room with an exceptional ocean view. Since it was our anniversary our room had been decorated with tropical flowers all over the bed and through the bathroom and a jacuzzi tub all ready to go with floating flower pedals - we were both in awe to find this waiting for us. The grounds of the resort are masterfully planned and about as beautiful as could be everywhere we went. The gym, spa, and pool areas were stunning as well all featuring everything one could possibly want. I would particularly recommend the spa which is ranked among the best in the world with a massive array of hydrotherapy for use before and after any spa treatment. Ask for a 298 dollar couples package including two massages, lunch at the resort, and valet parking for out of resort guests. I would also recommend dining at Humu's as well - the food and ambiance were truly amazing. Overall the only negative thing i have to say about this place is that the business center should not charge an arm and a leg to access the Internet and print something other than a boarding pass. Do plan on spending a significant sum of money if you plan to stay here or anywhere else in Wailea - definitely pricey but worth it for a special occasion. If it's a special occasion such as an anniversary let the hotel know in advance - as I mentioned before they decorated our room really nice but also gave us a whole bunch of other things like a free bottle of champagne and free entree at Humu's plus some free drinks. We walked over to the Four Seasons and Fairmont and had dinner and drinks at each but we both agreed that the Grand Wailea was an overall better choice in terms of resort amenties, spa, and dining choices although we could not speak to the quality of the rooms and service in comparison. Overall I would highly recommend the Grand Wailea and will no doubt stay here again when we get back to Maui.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Chicagotraveler83
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Just got back from a really nice stay in Hawaii so it's tough to complain, but I really strongly felt like I had to share the scope of our experience.
The grounds and rooms at the Grand Wailea were nice, and the pools are all amazing, which explains the fact that it was quite crowded with families soaking up the sun and fun. I don't mind a busy place and definitely felt like if we had our kids with us it would have been a great fit for us in that way so people should know that.
Their Spa Grande was a unique and delightful experience for me. I had the Signature Treatment - when I normally always get a Deep Tissue- and this still fit the bill for me, which can be tough. The bathing tubs in the main room and varying hot/cold tubs were a novelty which I really enjoyed as well. I would highly recommend the Spa to anyone staying in the vicinity of this place, actually, for a day visit as it was wonderful. I should not however, my husband felt differently. His primary complaint was that his treatment room was well-lit, with open windows- through which he could hear all the kids screaming at the pool outside. He didn't like that. My room was well lit but I only heard birds chirping.
My one, big, issue was with service. When I'm staying at a nice place, paying nice-place rates- I want to feel like the staff cares, and I distinctly did not get that feeling at this hotel.
The first day our flight landed early (which I think is common) so we asked the bellhop if we could leave our laptop bag with them while we wandered the grounds and ate lunch. She conceded but was clearly put-out by our request. That struck me as odd. We then proceeded to Bar Molikini for lunch where we waited...to be seen by the hostess, seated, to meet a waiter, to get food,... I chalked it up to being hungry and grumpy and ordered a glass of champagne with-instead of OJ- a splash of mango juice. The waiter acted like I was weird and I later received- just champagne. I drank it because hey, I like champagne. But that was odd to me too. Again, I chalked this all up to timing and me.
The next day after lounging on the beach all morning we were starving yet again so we walked to the conveniently located Bar Molokini where we waited...for everything...all over again. I was so disappointed (and frustrated to be honest) that after 20 minutes of waiting I asked the hostess if any waiter knew we existed and she just pointed at a guy and said, "Yeah- he's right there", like it's my job to figure this out? I said "Well right there is not right at my table, where I'd like him to be." I went back to the table and sat for a few minutes again. Finally I got up to leave and of course my apparent 'server' approached me and I said "We're leaving" to which he brightly answered "Great!" Indeed.
Later that afternoon once I had calmed down, and of course happily eaten and been served off the property at Longhi's- which deserves it's own great review- for $25 instead of the $92 Molokini had cost me the day prior, I shared my experience with the Hotel Manager. He kindly listened to me and then said "Thanks for sharing!" SO yeah- he blew me off. I guess I would too if my place was crowded with people willing to receive bad service so their kids could enjoy an awesome pool. I get it, really.
But as far as I'm concerned, there are too many high end resorts in Hawaii with amazing locations to waste your hard-earned money on a place that doesn't expend the effort to show they care, even a little.
Don't stay here!!!
Just visit the spa! :)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sprincer
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My wife and I went to the Grand Wailea for our honeymoon and could not have been more pleased. We were upgraded to an ocean view suite upon arriving by mentioning that we were on out honeymoon. After that mention, we were also given some more perks including free champagne and a significantly discounted dinner at a wonderful restaurant at the hotel that sits on a pond and overlooks the ocean. The hotel is pristine and finely manicured daily. You will see employees constantly working on the grounds. The Wailea area is beautiful with several other very nice hotels. We went to the neighboring hotels of the Fairmont and the Four Seasons and felt that the Grand Wailea was the winner overall. If going with kids or for those that are young at heart, the pools at the resort are great! Shopping (slightly upscale) and restaurants are plentiful. Stop by Tommy Bahama for happy hour and get some fish tacos. For a sneak peak at the hotel, go see the movie "Just Go With It." Would definitely go again and stay at the Grand Wailea if we were to return to Maui.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 April 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Grand Wailea at the end of two weeks in Hawaii. It is a absolutely beautiful hotel. From the greeting by the friendly valet and lovely orchid lei, we were happy to have arrived at in our final island. We are Diamond HHonors and used points for our stay. We opted to upgrade for $150/night, which gave us an amazing oceanview room overlooking the chapel. Ryan, the bellman who brought our bags up was very friendly and helped us with the layout of the hotel. Our room was very large with sliding glass doors to the full length balcony. The bath was a good size with glass shower, deep tub and separate toilet room. We called the spa to see if they had any availability and luckily got an appointment for 90 minute massages. My #1 recommendation is to GO TO THIS SPA!!!! I've been in many and this was amazing. The hour before your massage, you have the use of whirlpools, cold plunge pools, soaking tubs, a a complimentary body scrub. I almost didn't need a massage. In three days, we went twice!
The first night we ate at the Humu.... restaurant. Although it was hard to find (take your map if you're going exploring!) we enjoyed our dinner. Service was a bit lacking at the restaurant, but probably more because we had very high expectations. The beach is really nice, so I didn't use the pool. We explored around the island, so didn't eat too many meals at the resort. You should expect everything to be much more expensive at the resort than off property. Ths typical of all resort complexes.
Overall, the resort is lovely. I do think the common areas could be cleaned more frequently. The stairs down past the shops didn't seem to be clean during our stay. This did not affect our stay; however, our expecations of a Waldorf are very high. We throughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return someday.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MrsBerry
California
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Fantastic Staff & Amenities.
My son & daughter loved it!
Gorgeous grounds and landscaping, breath taking views and restaurants.
It's a 5+ Star Hotel.
I would love to buy a suite at this hotel as a vacation home.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk, they are very accomodating!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
gofish3
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Just came home from a fun filled week in Maui. We stayed the week preceding Easter so obviously a busy time. All the concerns I had before my arrival were not a worry once we got there. Yes....it's expensive, but we knew that when we booked so we'd planned for that. The Grand Wailea is beautiful, we had 2 deluxe ocean front rooms on the 8th floor & they were just perfect for us, the view was incredible, slept at night with the doors open & fell asleep listening to the surf. Yes we had to pay an extra $50 dollars per night so we could insure we had adjoining rooms, but we knew that before we went, so not a problem. Plenty of room in the room & storage too, a fridge in each room & tastefully decorated. The pools are great, although the water elevator is IMO a waste of space. Not really sure what the point of that was, we as a family thought they would have been better off building a couple of extra slides instead....but....not really an issue. We tend to be more beach people too, so onto the next topic...chair games.....my concern before we went. Well, when I'm on vacaction the last thing I want to do is get up at 7am & reserve loungers, so we didn't. We got up when ever we woke, sometimes 9 sometime later....went down had a leisurley breakfast & then generally by 10ish maybe 11 we were ready to hit the beach......not once on the beach did I have a problem getting a lounger....there were always plenty. Never did we get an umbrella, but we are there to enjoy the sun, so we never wanted an umbrella...so not an issue for us. We moved the loungers to wherever we wanted so we didn't feel like we were on top of anyone else...it was perfect. We generally hit the pool in the afternoon after our beach time & again almost always found 2 loungers together, our kids didn't need them as they were always off in the pool. One afternoon we had to wait 30 mins for some loungers to free up....but no big deal...for us anyway. Yep, the price for Cabanas seems high, but if someone is prepared to pay for that, more power to them....I myself can't bear the shade so not something I'm interested in.
So chair games are only an issue if you make them an issue. The price for snacks & drinks is silly, again we knew that before we went, but we took a collapsable cooler made a stop at walmart on our first day & stocked up on drinks & snacks, boogie boards...& always had a supply with us, poolside, beachside or when we were out & about. Although my kids did enjoy the Grand Wailea icee's, swore they were the best they've ever had!
We had the deal where we got free breakfast as we stayed over a certain #of nights, it was just OK.......each day it's exactly the same offerings....so my thought is they could change the menu up a little....to avoid the repetition. I took my daughter to the SPA where we both got massages...never been somewhere before that would massage a 9 year old, but it was lovely.....being in the room together & getting spoilt...definetly a treat for her.
Staff at the hotel were great, always friendly & always helpfull...no compaints there
We rented a Suburban through Budget....no problems, brand new car. Had fun exploring...we went to Makena Beach & enjoyed some impressive surf, we did half the road th Hana, but ran out of time....we couldn't stop swimming in the waterfalls!! WE snorkelled at Molokini, which was pretty neat but the snorkelling does not compare to the Carribean....my opinion. We went to the Luau at the Grand Wailea which was fun...just remember to take cash, because if you want to buy anything form the vendors or the photos they take as you enter, you're unable to charge to the room.
On our last day we were catchign the red eye back to the US so asked for late checkout.....they let us keep one of our rooms, until 7pm...at no charge, checkout is usually 12pm so that was a great deal....we got to enjoy the beach for the whole last day, & showered up & headed off to the airport....it was much appreciated.
It was a great relaxing trip which none of us wanted to leave...If you can afford the Grand Wailea...go & enjoy...we're so glad we did.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gofish3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!