“perfect honeymoon!”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed at the grand wailea for the first half of our honeymoon before taking off for kauai- we wish we had stayed there for the whole honeymoon. From the moment we walked in we were in paradise. The staff is so warm and welcoming. They greet you with a lei as soon as you arrive - rosi was so sweet when she met us at the door. They upgraded us without us even having to say we were on our honeymoon. We couldn't afford to book an oceanview room so we were so excited when we got one. Yes - its an expensive hotel - but the quality of service you receive is well worth it. The hotel has the most stunning grounds you have ever seen - you can spend a whole day walking around and exploring. Definitely get breakfast brought up to your room one day - you may not want to when you see the price of a waffle but its worth it. And enjoy the waterslides - they are definitely not just for kids - we have never had so much fun at a hotel, we wish we could afford to go back again soon.

Room Tip: It really doesn't matter what type of room you have ocean/garden. every room has a beautiful vi...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjsansone

Reviewed 23 September 2011

We went for our 10 year anniversary and we had an amazing trip. The hotel grounds are expansive and very well landscaped. Our room had a garden view and was very nice. The pools were great, but we only used the adult pool. The front desk agent waived our parking fee since we booked when there was still self parking so with the extra money we booked activities through the consierge desk which was a very easy experience. I loved that there was always cold water in our car when the valet brought it around. We had a great time and we cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kim3883ac
Reviewed 23 September 2011

My Wife and I came to Maui on our honeymoon and had booked a room at the Grand Wailea. Upon arrival, we found out that due to a large conference we would be upgraded to a condo across the street at Ho'olei. Therefore this review focuses on all the amenities of the property, but not the rooms.

For starters, this property is quite impressive. The grounds are huge and extremely well maintained. I couldnt get over how clean everything was. When you walk in through the main entrance, the place is palatial and beautiful.

Check in was a breeze due to our late arrival, and we were happy to be given a voucher for a complementary bottle of champagne at one of the property's restaurants. We were given lei's upon our arrival, and everyone was extremely helpful, but not overbearing.

The majority of our time was spent at the pool and beach while we were on the property. The beach staff was great, and we didnt have to wait more than 5 minutes to be setup with our chairs and umbrella. This could very well be a result of us coming during the off season, and that the majority of the guests on site were part of a corporate conference. There were very few children on the property during our stay, so we really were able to enjoy some relaxation. The beach is pristine and the water is calm. I do wish there was drink service on the beach, however.

The pool area was also great. I had read so many horror stories about not getting chairs etc, but we never had a problem. Even if we showed up after 10am, finding a spot was a breeze. The number of pools is mind boggling. We let the kids inside of us have fun on the slides, tarzan swing and even took a ride on the very cool water elevator. We were lucky and never felt forced to go to the adult only pool, which honestly seemed boring compared to the main pool area.

As far as dining options, we wish there were more. The poolside cafe is extremely limited, so you're better off going to the Bistro Molikini, which has a better menu. Both places are pretty average. The best food (and of course the most expensive) is at the Humuhumu. It was so great we went there twice. The shops area offers another cafe, but we did not try it. The gift shop is well equipped and you can buy some basics there like chips/soda/beer etc. I'm sure many people can come here for a week and never feel the need to leave!

Wailea is probably the nicest area on Maui that we came across. No other city compared. You are a bit further away from some attractions in Maui, but its worth it for a true luxury experience. The staff is excellent, and i was impressed at how CLEAN everything was. At many hotels, i am scared to walk around barefoot in pool areas, but the staff here kept it spotless. I would come back to this hotel in a heartbeat (and that's without having ever stepped foot in one of the rooms).

1  Thank pdmgillette
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I have to admit that my wife and I were a little skeptical when we arrived. The valet fee, the portage fee, the housekeeping fee... you get the idea. However, I have to say that the hotel actually offered quite a bit of value and we would return in the future.

We had a garden view room (likely one of the least expensive rooms on the property), but it was surprisingly large and well appointed. The room was quiet, it had plenty of light, and it was easily accessible from the (less busy) ballroom entrance on the side of the hotel.

Regarding all of those fees, I have to say that I felt like I did get something extra for them. The housekeeping at this hotel was--hands down--the best that I've ever had while traveling. The housekeepers showed up twice a day (normal + turndown service), and they would exchange towels/empty trash/etc on both visits. We were also appreciative of the fact that the staff would actually attempt to pick up the room a little, instead of just changing the sheets. In addition, the valet parking was quick and efficient, and the parkers would always bring the car around with cold bottles of water waiting inside, along with a clean windshield.

The pool area was great. I would never admit this in public, but water slides and lazy rivers never get old, even for adults. It was sometimes hard to find a shady spot, but the sheer size of the deck meant that we didn't feel like we were packed in like sardines.

In short, I would recommend this hotel to others, and I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Wailea.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This resort is probably best I have ever been, beautiful, perfectly designed and managed. staff very friendly and helpful. great pool=aquapark, direct access to beach. I spent there a week during my honeymoon and I deffinitely will come there again. Only two restaurants one more like for lunch and the Hunuhununupunupuapua (yes it is the name of restaurant) has great seafood at reasonable price, very good service but you have to make reservation and even though waite for table

Room Tip: make sure you choose room with seaview they have great view to see, garden, pool and pond. During wi...
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Amazing pools with waterslides that take you from one pool to the next - fun for the kid in all of us. Hotel is older and dated. Lots of brass and old carpets that need to be replaced. Rooms are clean and beds are comfy. We used Hilton points to stay here and had a nice vacation. I would be say this hotel should be priced at $200 per night if I were paying to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011

Mr Matthew Bailey,
Managing Director, Grand Wailea Hotel

Aloha Mr Bailey,

My beautiful wife, Diana, and I would like to thank you for a wonderful honeymoon stay in your magnificent hotel. The room was truly magnificent and the view was spectacular!

From the time we were met at the front of your hotel by your valet service, we were made to feel as if we were family, not guests. Your customer service representatives at the front desk were very professional and courteous and they made every effort to ensure all our needs were met promptly.

While we were waiting for our room to be ready, we enjoyed a terrific lunch in your Bistro Molokini restaurant--something we will be enjoying frequently since we are kama’aina and have a home in Makawao.

Your pool was as magnificent as it looks. We had great fun unwinding in it after the affairs of the morning. It was always Diana's dream to be swimming in your pool and I'm glad we could make that dream come true. The waterslides are a blast,even for old kids, and the water elevator was simply amazing.

What can anyone say about HumuHumu's Restaurant? Dinner was truly a treat. We couldn't have imagined a more delectable repast exquisitely prepared and served. The sun setting over the ocean just added so much ambiance that we couldn't have asked for a more fitting end to a truly wonderful day.

Once again, thank you for helping to make our wedding day one which we will never forget. You can count on us repeating our stay on our anniversaries.

This is definitely not a hotel stay-it is the experience of a lifetime!! If you don't have fun here it is your own fault.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are really special and worth the price. Grand Wailea is without a doubt the finest...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!