“fabulous stay-great spa weekend!”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 26 October 2011

visited with a friend for a spa weekend and this hotel did not disappoint. The spa was terrific...we had lunch and dinner at the resort and the food was great. The pools kept us occupied although the beach was enticing with the beach staff very friendly and with lots of beach equipment rentals. The staff was very nice here which is sometimes unusual at a large resort. This is a full service resort with lots of beautiful grounds to walk through. I highly recommend and we will be back next year for our girls weekend!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (6,613)

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We recently stayed at the Grand Wailea for an anniversary. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by Rose - who is probably the most happy, outgoing, sweet hostess I have encountered. She immediately gave us our leis of fresh orchids and ushered us into the grand lobby entrance. We stopped in front of the waterfall/pools and she offered to take our photo - and ended up taking 4 or 5. Rose asked what our name was, and we were shocked when we saw her again 4 days later that she called us by name. The other check in service that we enjoyed was that they gave us a "hospitality room" to change and clean up in because we arrived in the morning before check in time and our room wasn't ready.

Although we had booked one of the lower priced rooms, we were upgraded upon check in because of our Hilton status. However, one thing to note about this hotel: they do host a lot of conventions and weddings, and the entire hotel was pretty much booked while we were there because of a convention going on. I would probably call ahead and find out if there are any events going on during your vacation, because that prevented us from having a full ocean view room (they could only offer 2 queen beds, which we didn't want), and we also ended up having a handicapped room. Not that big a deal, except the shower is smaller and a bit less pleasant as you bump into the handicapped rails if you turn and move a few inches in the shower. The good thing is, other than a couple times when the elevator was full because the convention folks were headed to some group event, we didn't really notice that the resort was at full occupancy. The rooms are pretty standard, though there is a nice private balcony with beach chairs facing the ocean. Beds are soft - but comfortably so, even though I usually prefer firmer beds.

As already well documented, the hotel grounds are huge with a number of wings and swimming pools. The one afternoon we hung out at the hotel pool, we found the pool designated adults only to be pretty crowded, and really deterred us from wanting to stay there. The rest of the pool area has a lot of kids - so if you want to have a romantic, quiet vacation with no kids, I'd stay elsewhere. Although the hotel is designed with families in mind (with water slides, lazy rivers, a Tarzan rope to jump in the pool, caves, waterfalls, etc.), we actually had a fair bit of fun exploring all the different parts of the pool area ourselves and we have no kids. We tried all the water slides (I think there are 5) - while 3 of them are very miniature "slides" (kind of like a slide on a playground), there is 1 that is 3 stories tall that seemed to cater more to adults. You really do end up going pretty fast down the slide and made for a few exciting trips. The last slide is about half the size of the tallest one and is a good in between option.

We only had 1 meal at the Grand Wailea, at Humuhumu. It is a great ambiance, with a thatched hut-type structure in the middle of the pools, looking out at the beach and sunset. The food and service were decent, but nothing to rave about.

Parking is valet only, for which you're charged $25/day + tax. However, it is a well run valet service as most of the time we called for our car before we left our room and only had to wait a couple minutes for the car. Anytime they bring your car to you, they leave a couple cold bottles of water in the car which we really appreciated and thought was a nice touch.

I ended up spending a morning at the spa, which is a fantastic experience. They ask that you check in an hour before your massage appointment, and during that hour you can experience the many baths, hot tubs, and showers. One feature that I thought was unique was that they had 5 different baths, all with various sea salts and flavors from the 5 Hawaiian islands (for example, guava, coconut, spirulina, etc.). I think my favorite part of the spa appointment was when they called you aside to a separate room and gave you an exfoliating treatment. It was a great 5 minutes. Everything is well-organized and efficiently run (the spa is well staffed, which was nice); they call your name anytime you need to go somewhere. I would advise you to go earlier in the morning if possible; when I arrived around 9:30am, there were only a few others. But after I was done with my massage at 11am, the baths were occupied and I had to entertain myself with other features of the spa while waiting my turn. Also, once my massage finished, I felt like my masseuse rushed me out of there because she had to prepare the massage table for her next appointment.

The beach in front of the resort is beautiful. The sand is very fine, the beach is sandy (few rocks), and the water is nice. We didn't try snorkeling here but did see some people snorkeling.

We debated between staying in Lahaina/Kaanapali and Wailea and were happy with our choice. There are a number of beaches within a few minutes drive of the Grand Wailea, and none of them were very crowded when we went. Wailea is also a 5-10 minute drive from Kihei, where there are a number of restaurants to eat at and places to rent snorkeling equipment - with plenty of available parking. We drove to Lahaina a couple times during our stay, and it seemed a lot more hectic over there, more touristy, and more difficulty in finding parking. Another bonus of staying in Wailea is that it's a slightly shorter drive to Haleakala and Hana, which can help when you're getting up early as is!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Grand Wailea and would certainly stay there again - with the only caveats being that the property is slightly aged, keeping it from being a 5 star resort, and understanding that it is at the end of the day a family resort.

1  Thank srus
Reviewed 24 October 2011

My husband and I just went to the Grand Wailea to celebrate our 24th Anniversary. We were upgraded to the Napua Tower thanks to Agnes at the check-in desk who accommodated our request for a room with a king bed (instead of 2 queens.) We had SO much fun at the pool and water slides. We had been told by friends that the hotel was really big and over-the-top, and we were a bit concerned because we don't have kids, but we really loved it! The size of the resort was wonderful, because it never seemed crowded, and the water-slides and water-elevator were so much fun!!

The service was wonderful. Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly. The grounds were beautiful with gardens and unique art & sculpture. The beds were SO comfortable.

If you want to go to the beach, which is right next to the pool, be sure to go in the morning when the water is calm & the wind is low. You can rent paddle boards, boogie boards, etc. right on the beach. As a guest of the hotel, you can get free lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas.
We spent our mornings on the beach and our afternoons at the pool and our evenings at the bars and restaurants.

We definitely would go to this resort again, and recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms seem to have a view of the ocean. Quiet rooms are further away from the pool.
Reviewed 23 October 2011

The hotel grounds, rooms and beach area are all visually appealing. The staff are very good and beach is well kept, but staying here is not much different than going to an elegant resort in Florida or California or Las Vegas (minus the beach of course.) I do an enormous amount of business travel and so cashed in Hilton points to stay here. On a strictly logistical level the facility was appropriately valued against the point usage, but I would not return in the future. The reason is personal and not facility specific. If I'm spending 9 hours flying from the US east coast and coming to the South Pacific I'd prefer somthing more down to earth, away from crowds, and a bit more genuinely Hawaiian. I was glad to have a car and be able to drive to locally owned restaurants rather than be tied the chain places I can get in any big city in the US. If you're interested in just hanging out in a huge pool with slides, paying $16 for cocktails and $25 a day to valet park your car than this is your place. If you'd rather be off the beaten path, hang out at beaches were local folk go and catch sunsets at locally owned beach bars then keep searching for a different place.

3  Thank yes2travel
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My 2 children and I stayed for 8 nights. Could have done with some information from reception (how to get to pools, restaurants etc - a map of resort would have helped) (turned out there was a map in the key folder but I didn't notice for a few days). However, the kids and I loved it - thought the pools were great, loved going down the water slides which are the best I've ever experienced at a hotel) and the water was beautifully clean and kept at the perfect temperature. We only ate poolside or at Bar Molokini and would only recommend Bar Molokini, however, that might reflect that we are not American and don't really like some foods like that really yellowy-orange melted cheese that comes with nachos. Bar Molokini's kids' menu was fine for my fussy eaters and they both seemed perfectly happy with what they had (chicken, pasta and the pizza). My food was fine. The service is very efficient, but I did find I had to seek out help once our food had appeared, there was no follow up to see if all was ok with the meal etc. (Meal was fine, I just wanted to order a drink). Staff all nice excepting one un-smily woman at reception. I wanted to book another night, and she gruffly presented the tariff sheet - I said "yes, but that's never what is charged" (can't remember what the price was, but am pretty sure the original ocean-view with 2 queen beds rate she showed me was either $699 or $1100 (I only glanced before doing my "I don't think so" routine) and when I mentioned another staff member had quoted me much less she said "okay, $369".) She was just one of those bitter and twisted types I think, as her manner was certainly from the resentful of other people having a holiday brigade, but everyone else was perfectly lovely. Ordered a cab from my room but it obviously hadn't been ordered when I rocked up to hop in it. Took a bit of encouragement but it was only when I mentioned that if we were late for our planned activity and missed out that I'd have the hotel pay our expenses that they felt my sense of urgency. That being said, when I ordered a taxi directly from them the next time, it was seemless and very well executed. Did appreciate the plentiful towels in the room, and getting heaps of towels for the pool area was no problem either. One real highlight was the nighttime Camp Grande - my 2 kids (7 and 10) absolutely loved it - more than any other kids club they have experienced anywhere. That is a real reflection on the wonderful staff manning Camp Grande - I can't thank them enough for that. It's not cheap ($95 per kid with 15% discount if you have 2 enrolled) but they certainly loved it. It only operates if 3+ kids are enrolled though. Overall, I'd have to say that it was a seriously good destination with the kids. If it was just me and my husband, I'd probably opt for a more deluxe resort, but this was certainly a great call with the kids, and certainly deluxe enough.

Room Tip: The snorkelling excursion (went with Kai Kaimana bc they transport you free) and ziplining were grea...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed at this property for 5 days on the first half of our honeymoon. After our long flight from the East Coast, it was definitely nice to pull up to the hotel and receive a lei greeting with a happy Aloha and the girl who checked us in couldn't be any sweeter - we were double upgraded from terrace view to oceanview. The rooms are in serious need of an upgrade, especially for the price. The paint is peeling and the cleaning people could stand to do a better job. However, the view is beautiful, the beds are super comfortable, there's wifi, and the staff was very pleasant and kind. They leave 2 bottles of water in the room for you each day and the valet leaves 2 bottles each time you take the car out. The beach is amazing, there are employees that set up chairs and umbrellas for you each day. You do have to wear a bracelet in the pool area - I'm not opposed to it - there is a lazy river, waterslides and many pools. I would rather wear a bracelet rather than share the pool with people coming from other resorts - I could only imagine how packed it would be without it since the beaches are public in Hawaii and anyone could just walk into the pool area. The luau at the Grand Wailea is second to none, the show is amazing.

Wailea is a great resort area and next to a shopping center with an ABC store and several restaurants. Longhi's was great for breakfast - the best eggs benedict we've had! We went to the Four Seasons for dinner twice. This property is BEAUTIFUL. In fact, I think I will stay here the next time we go as a couple. Duo was delicious but I wish we had gone when they had the raw bar buffet which is offered from Thurs-Sun. Our last night in Maui, we had dinner at Ferraro's - it was such a beautiful restaurant overlooking the beach and sunset.

I would definitely recommend the Grand Wailea for family trips but if you're looking for a romantic trip, I would recommend the Four Seasons.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kendall924
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I loved this resort and Maui! Apparently, the resort is in bankruptcy (which I'm sure is not unusual for many resorts during these times) but it truly is not affecting the service nor the upkeep of this gorgeous resort. Stayed for 3 nights to attend a meeting. Traveled without kids but kept thinking of how much my kids would have loved the resort. Our room was outstanding with a great view of the ocean in the distance and koi ponds below. We were in the Haleakala wing on the 8th floor. Every employee we came in contact with was friendly and smiling. We were given a late checkout of 2 p.m. and another room to shower/freshen up in at 5:30 p.m. since we had a late flight out. Very accomodating! Loved the beach and pools. Did have to wear a wristband but some of the group I was with did not. I think it depends on whether you get your towels at the beach or the pool. Food was great at the resort (had a couple of catered dinners with our group). Ate a couple of breakfasts at Cafe Kula (lots of choices). Also liked that we could walk to the shops at Wailea for shopping and dining. Ate at Tommy Bahamas and Ruth Chris; both were delicious. Snorkeled at Molokini (fun but no sea turtles). I very sad to leave resort and Maui since everything about my trip there was outstanding!

1  Thank ace4467
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!