“Great property but needs renovation”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a classic hotel in the Wailea area of Maui, but with so much luxury property development nearby its hard to compete nowadays. The lobby, pool area and beachfront are all kid-friendly and gorgeous, but the inside of the hotel is a bit lacking in terms of design and art. The rooms, while spacious, need to be updated with better amenities.

Overall, I would certainly stay here again, but it would be based on pricing. I think there are potentially better values to be had nearby.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,684)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked at the Grand Wailea- with baited breath. We were on a combined business and pleasure trip- as such The Grand Wailea was chosen for us. We had stayed at the Waldorf in Naples, less than 6 months earlier- and were horribly disappointed on all fronts. Grand Wailea was incredible!!! The rooms, are large, clean and we had a great view of ocean and grounds. The beachfront gorgeous! We travel a lot, internationally...and our girls ages 8 and 5 voted Grand Wailea Pool in the top three ever!!! The grounds are stunning! Most impressive however, was the service- this is what we find lacks most in hotels--but was not here!! Mahalo for wonderful memories.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was my second stay at the Grand Wailea. The first was about 10 years ago. Last time I was new to the whole lap of luxury thing, being a modest kid of modest means. Since then I've been able to treat myself a time or two to the finer things. The primary reason for my first stay at this resort was the canyon activity pool and this was also my reason for this stay. It is like a water park on the hotel grounds. The features are all big enough for the big kids like myself, yet most are safe enough for the "real" kids. The grounds are what you'd expect from a world class resort. I didn't eat at any of the restaurants this time, but there is some fine dining on the property. The valet is practically mandatory--they've done a great job! I was "upgraded" to a Napua tower room on arrival. I think the only bonus this gave me was the continental breakfast, which is okay if you get there by 0800. Otherwise, the room was similar to how I remember the garden room from before. There are other things like a cocktail hour and a tea hour associated with the Napua room as well--haven't done those. The bathrooms are nice, but need some refinishing of the grout. The room was clean with no bugs. The bed was horrible. I don't think they've changed out the mattresses since this place opened. Also, only one outlet in my room seemed to work for charging devices. Overall--a decent stay, but the bed is kind of a central feature of any overnight stay and I really think they need to look into changing out some mattresses. As a luxury hotel you'd think they'd be on top of this stuff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TammyS3
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, but there are a lot of hidden costs that are unreasonable. My husband and I came here to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to a room that does have a partial ocean view.
Positive: extraordinary service by all of the employees. Beautiful grounds with lots of places to take wonderful pictures. Impressed with valet service. They give you bottles of cold water whenever you leave the grounds. Everyone very helpful in answering your questions.

Negative. I was appalled that they have a lazy river but don't provide you with tubes - you have to buy them. How ridiculous. The room was dated and the mattress was very soft. If you have back problems this is not a good mattress to sleep on. Not enough chairs at poolside to sit in. Very hard to find a place to sit.

Room Tip: See if you can be upgraded.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here for four nights. It was excellent! Here is what I would want to know if I were considering staying at the hotel.

First, we rented a car at the airport. The $30/day valet charge was fine…and I hate valet parking. But, here, when we needed the car/directions/etc., the car and information was ready. There are plenty of lower cost restaurants within a 20 minute drive.

Second, Cabanas vs. Lounge Chairs. We rented a cabana for our days. We decided to do so after reading all of the review. It was worth it. I read all of the reviews and felt that on my vacation the risk was too high not to have a chair. DO IT. It is expensive to stay at the resort. Do you really want to get up early just to grab a lawn chair? I saw people absolutely furious about not having enough chairs. Honestly, the pool area is packed. You can’t put any additional chairs.
I had a really good time at the resort. The pools, slides, etc., were excellent.

My key communication point, if you are going and want to decrease stress, rent a cabana.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jknight910
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Grand Wailea is the place to stay. We went to Maui for my daughters wedding and this hotel was the best. There were 100 of us and quest came from all over the world. We truly were all treated so well. I recommend this hotel to everyone. We just felt so welcome.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I took our long awaited honeymoon and chose to stay at the Grand Wailea. They made our stay amazing! They upgraded us when we got their to the Napua Tower which is their exclusive club where we got an ocean view, free breakfast, tea time with cookies, and cocktails with appetizers in the evenings. ( I would highly recommend this if you can afford it otherwise!) We received free champagne for our Honeymoon and the staff in the tower called us by name. The pools there were our favorite part. After scoping out the pools the first day, we decided to skip the Road to Hana that day and just had a blast slip sliding around like kids with our pineapple and tiki drinks. All the staff was very friendly, our room was cleaned a couple times a day, and we were constantly amused with the shopping, pools, beach, resturaunts, bands, and the bar nearby. And even though many things in the resort are quite pricey, our wallets were happy that we took advantage of the free scuba clinic. We would have opted for the ocean excursion but my husband had trouble balancing the pressure in his ears. However, now that is on our bucket list once he gets his ears checked.. The instructor was great though and even told us about a hidden bamboo forest that we would have not found other wise on the Road to Hana being tourists to this island. We also did the free morning yoga which was an intense but invigorating way to start the morning. Overall, we loved the Grand Wailea so much we could have made our whole trip away from the kids just right there, but we like to explore so we didn't ;) Even though we know the upgrade was a special perk of the honeymoon, we want to come back again and maybe even bring the kids!

Room Tip: Napua Tower is worth the money if you can afford it! The free cocktail hour itself was worth the upg...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!