“Lots of hidden fees and service is lacking”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Had to speak with three managers within 12 hours of check in. Multiple issues. Property seems to be much more than can be handled. We have stayed at this resort 5 times in the past 6 years and we always stay in the napa tower but this year the service really fell off. Seems like the staff is only concerned about money. Add that to the fact that valet parking is $30/day mandatory and hotel tax is 10 percent and resort fee is $25/day and excise tax is 15 percent you are easily spending an additional $120-$150 a day on top of your room charge before you even wake up. Do yourself a favor and check out the 4 seasons which may appear to be more at first but once you add in all the extra charges at GW they are actually less for a significantly more luxurious hotel.

Beds need updating, as I said I feel like the hotel is ranked lowest in wailea for multiple reasons.

Lastly, had found a few bugs in the room. When I mentioned it to the manager I was told he would check about moving us to a different room and never called me back. I took photos and called again the following day and was told there was nothing they could do unless I wanted to pay $1,000 additional to upgrade rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank Mark S
Write a ReviewReviews (6,601)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a classic hotel in the Wailea area of Maui, but with so much luxury property development nearby its hard to compete nowadays. The lobby, pool area and beachfront are all kid-friendly and gorgeous, but the inside of the hotel is a bit lacking in terms of design and art. The rooms, while spacious, need to be updated with better amenities.

Overall, I would certainly stay here again, but it would be based on pricing. I think there are potentially better values to be had nearby.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked at the Grand Wailea- with baited breath. We were on a combined business and pleasure trip- as such The Grand Wailea was chosen for us. We had stayed at the Waldorf in Naples, less than 6 months earlier- and were horribly disappointed on all fronts. Grand Wailea was incredible!!! The rooms, are large, clean and we had a great view of ocean and grounds. The beachfront gorgeous! We travel a lot, internationally...and our girls ages 8 and 5 voted Grand Wailea Pool in the top three ever!!! The grounds are stunning! Most impressive however, was the service- this is what we find lacks most in hotels--but was not here!! Mahalo for wonderful memories.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was my second stay at the Grand Wailea. The first was about 10 years ago. Last time I was new to the whole lap of luxury thing, being a modest kid of modest means. Since then I've been able to treat myself a time or two to the finer things. The primary reason for my first stay at this resort was the canyon activity pool and this was also my reason for this stay. It is like a water park on the hotel grounds. The features are all big enough for the big kids like myself, yet most are safe enough for the "real" kids. The grounds are what you'd expect from a world class resort. I didn't eat at any of the restaurants this time, but there is some fine dining on the property. The valet is practically mandatory--they've done a great job! I was "upgraded" to a Napua tower room on arrival. I think the only bonus this gave me was the continental breakfast, which is okay if you get there by 0800. Otherwise, the room was similar to how I remember the garden room from before. There are other things like a cocktail hour and a tea hour associated with the Napua room as well--haven't done those. The bathrooms are nice, but need some refinishing of the grout. The room was clean with no bugs. The bed was horrible. I don't think they've changed out the mattresses since this place opened. Also, only one outlet in my room seemed to work for charging devices. Overall--a decent stay, but the bed is kind of a central feature of any overnight stay and I really think they need to look into changing out some mattresses. As a luxury hotel you'd think they'd be on top of this stuff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TammyS3
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, but there are a lot of hidden costs that are unreasonable. My husband and I came here to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to a room that does have a partial ocean view.
Positive: extraordinary service by all of the employees. Beautiful grounds with lots of places to take wonderful pictures. Impressed with valet service. They give you bottles of cold water whenever you leave the grounds. Everyone very helpful in answering your questions.

Negative. I was appalled that they have a lazy river but don't provide you with tubes - you have to buy them. How ridiculous. The room was dated and the mattress was very soft. If you have back problems this is not a good mattress to sleep on. Not enough chairs at poolside to sit in. Very hard to find a place to sit.

Room Tip: See if you can be upgraded.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here for four nights. It was excellent! Here is what I would want to know if I were considering staying at the hotel.

First, we rented a car at the airport. The $30/day valet charge was fine…and I hate valet parking. But, here, when we needed the car/directions/etc., the car and information was ready. There are plenty of lower cost restaurants within a 20 minute drive.

Second, Cabanas vs. Lounge Chairs. We rented a cabana for our days. We decided to do so after reading all of the review. It was worth it. I read all of the reviews and felt that on my vacation the risk was too high not to have a chair. DO IT. It is expensive to stay at the resort. Do you really want to get up early just to grab a lawn chair? I saw people absolutely furious about not having enough chairs. Honestly, the pool area is packed. You can’t put any additional chairs.
I had a really good time at the resort. The pools, slides, etc., were excellent.

My key communication point, if you are going and want to decrease stress, rent a cabana.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jknight910
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Grand Wailea is the place to stay. We went to Maui for my daughters wedding and this hotel was the best. There were 100 of us and quest came from all over the world. We truly were all treated so well. I recommend this hotel to everyone. We just felt so welcome.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!