“Gorgeous hotel with no complaints”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My family comes to Maui every year in the Winter, and Grand Wailea is always our go to resort!

The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and there is lots to do. We come here every year, and still, I have no desire to even leave the property. They have super comfy chairs to lay in (I never had problems finding one), and a lazy pool and waterslide if you needed a soak.

The service was exceptional, and I encountered absolutely no issues every stay.

The spa is expensive, but I think everyone should splurge once and check it out. I love high end resorts and spas, and this is probably one of my favorite spas. There are about 5 different salt baths to soak in, that feel amazing after a day lounging by the pool.

Yes, food and drinks at the hotel are a bit pricey, but it was nothing different than the rest of Hawaii.

The only flaw I had with this hotel is that the rooms are a bit outdated, and for a five star, I'd expect a little better.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is our second time staying at the Grand Wailea, the public areas are beautiful you can tell lots of time and effort were spend in designing and maintaining them. However the rooms needed updating three years ago and the same can be said today. Skip the breakfast buffet very pricey and wait staff is terrible, one actually went over my head with a big tray of food! Take the short walk to Four Seasons and pay a little more .We are trying their new resuarant tonight so we will see. As far as the pool and beach go , the location is what has us coming back. One of the nicest beaches to swim in ,small waves great view of west maui . If you want to snorkle just head a short swim down to the point, both stays we swam with turtles and nice selection of reef fish. The family pool is superb and it is nice to have a separate adult pool. We stayed here in early November and again in early December both slower season and it was not crowded . If you have a chance do try the Spa one of the best I have been in.

Room Tip: Pay more for front ocean view. 1000's
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen H
GWExecutiveOffice, Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Mahalo for taking the time to review your stay with us at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. We strive to offer every guest a genuine Waldorf Astoria luxury experience, and we will use your comments to ensure that our processes are in place to achieve that. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and ask that you call me personally to speak in more detail at 808 874 2438. I hope to impress upon you our sincerest care for your comfort. Warmest aloha, Kevin Peterson, Director of Food and Beverage.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Beautiful property and top notch service. Very satisfied and look forward to returning! Make sure to get either the Garden or Ocean View. Garden view overlooks interior pools/walkways, however you still have visibility of the ocean as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was one of the best hotels for a family! The pools, beach, snorkeling, drinks and food is exactly what I needed while on vacation!
I will definitely go back!
I also like the fact that they did have Happy Hour for their elite members. I am a diamond member and love the perks that it offers!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Our stay was enjoyable but for the first two weeks we stayed at the Maui Sunset. I would take this any day over staying in a hotel like the Grand Wailea. I don't like it when most employees are holding their hands out insisting of tips. A tip is a privledge based on service not something to be expected. Also a resort fee of $25 per day should be included in the rate and a parking fee of $30 a day is ridiculous. To top it off to rent a Cabana for $450 per day is crazy. I think of those people starving in Africa. How many people would that make happy. Over all I did like the resort but not enough to say I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Daryl H

Mahalo for sharing your comments on your personal experience at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. As a luxury resort, we strive to provide quality and varied amenities and experiences for our guests. It is just as important that we provide value and that we deliver at a level of what is expected of our guests. With many options in the resort, we are delighted that you have chosen to experience our activities, restaurants or shops. Please know that your concerns are heard, and feel free to call me personally to speak in more detail at 808 874 2426. Warmest aloha, Kai Pelayo, Director of Operations.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We have 2 toddlers so from that perspective the use of old glossy tile everywhere is very slippery. It rained one morning and it was very slippery everywhere. I think even a senior would be in trouble. Even the flagstone around the pool is not truly anti slip as you find in many newer resorts.
That being said, this resort is worth a visit for the pools and grounds alone. Access to a waterpark like that would cost a family $100/day. It's truly spectacular and you can't appreciate it until your are in it. The property is a classic, and it has been meticulously maintained. It's like a palace, and it is beautiful. The rooms are nice, though our carpet showed too much wear. Every other detail was perfect and clean, beds are amazing!
Hilton honours it's members very well here, the service in the regard was spectacular.
The valet took almost a painful 25 minutes to get our car, they really need to fix this as valet is mandatory and $30 per day. Very frustrating and totally unacceptable.
The gift shop here is nice, but I was frustrated that they would sell cheap no name diapers for an inflated name brand price. I'm at a Waldorf, sell me the name brand goods! And the cafeteria is severely overpriced for the quality of food. Again, if you are charging 6.50 for a slice of pizza, make it good! The food wasn't even fresh. Unacceptable. Annoyed with those little details. We stayed one night and had two fun filled days in their amazing waterpark. Well worth it and glad we stayed.
Overall, go there!

Room Tip: Ocean view in Hawaii often means partial ocean view, but it is still spectacular! We were in room 30...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lovehvar
Reviewed 3 December 2013

First and foremost, do not head to Maui, Hawaii and stay at the Grand Wailea, if you are looking for a bargain. My wife and I were here for a wedding in November 2013 and the hotel is beautiful. The beach, pool, bars are all immaculate. The entire staff is friendly and cordial. We had a standard room facing the garden on the main floor and it was breathtaking. The patio was spaicous and the bed was soft. It was very difficult to get out of bed in the morning. The food is delicious but pricey. I would certainly recommend the hotel for all of these reasons. BUT THE MAIN REASON I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE HOTEL IS THAT I LEFT A VERY NICE WATCH AND BRACELET and after getting back to Miami my wife called the hotel. The hotel security asked a couple of questions, confirming our identity and the jewelry description. Security confirmed they had the items. The security officer then shipped it back to me via FedEx. Yes, there is no self parking, yes, food and drinks are pricey, but mother always told me that you get what you pay for. The Grand Wailea is a beautiful resort and I am truly grateful and blessed that our friends decided to get married in Maui. I would certainly recommend the Grand Wailea!

Room Tip: Make sure you eat at Mama's Restaurant. Make sure someone in your group orders the Short RIbs!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!