“Nice Hotel with Amazing Staff”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Nice Hotel with Amazing Staff”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We came in with the expectations that the Grand Wailea was more for families and needed some room improvements based on what was posted in the reviews - both accurate observations. Still, we made our reservations so we could take advantage of the water park (since we act like kids) and the price was right for Wailea.

If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing resort look elsewhere. The sheer size of the Grand Wailea means lots of people by the pool, kids screaming, people packed in on the beach, people everywhere. It reminded us of a cruise ship - and not in a good way.

The overall hotel was dated, but had beautiful grounds. We were placed in the Lagoon wing which had a great view of the water park and the ocean so we could watch the whales. I would give the room a 6 out of 10. I'm a clean freak and the white tile and grout from the 1990s is extremely hard to keep up with. The mattress was lumpy and tilted back. After a few days we were wondering why our backs hurt - we found the culprit!

All the staff we encountered were wonderful and went out of their way to help. Valet was quick if we called for the car - never waited. The water park is VERY fun and we loved the big slide, the grotto and water elevator.

If you don't mind crowds & kids for your Maui vacation the Grand Wailea is a good place to stay for the price - definitely fun for families. We will most likely stay at the Four Seasons or Andaz next Maui trip because we prefer a quieter, smaller hotel.

PROS
*Staff
*Water Park/Pools
*Location - walk to the mall
*Best Luau
*Kula Cafe was a great place to eat breakfast without breaking the bank

CONS
*Kids everywhere with parents who are obviously deaf because no one tried to stop them from screaming
*Too big, too many people
*Crowded beach
*Outdated rooms/property

Room Tip: Ask for the Lagoon wing - easy access to the pools and beach
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Southern US
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I really do not have enough words to express how wonderful this property is. My husband and I went to group meetings for three days but we actually stayed here 8 days. The staff on every single level were so friendly. The bellmen, valets, front desk, housekeeping, and every single pool server were just amazingly nice. I especially would like to thank the ladies that helped me set up a surprise Cabana Dinner for my husband, Victoria and Desiree. They could not have been more helpful and considerate to my every request. I also want to thank Linda Lindquist for going above and beyond to set up our activities. She was always available and set us up on the BEST whale watching catamaran on Maui!! There were so many little touches that meant so much, from the welcome lei, to the fresh fruit at the check in desk and the juice and ice water. The icy bottled water in our car each day when the valet would delivery it to us was just incredibly thoughtful. Great idea, and so simple! Everyone was so helpful. THE PROPERTY!! I cannot describe the beauty of Grand Wailea. So perfectly tropical and a pool for every desire. I honestly have to say I do not understand the reviewers that say they could not find a seat at the beach or the pool. I know the hotel was not fully booked when we stayed there but there was MORE than enough seating. I guess some folks must want the closest chairs to the pool? AND YES, they were quite prompt in removing items left unattended for an hour or more. I saw this several times over. The pools are amazing and HEATED!!! We LOVED the Hibiscus pool best as we were two adults only on this trip. We had no problem getting a pool chair right beside the pool each day. Never an issue. Yes, there were a lot of kids and families, so if you want adults only this might not be the place to go, but honestly, this property is so vast and spread out that we never had a single issue. Of course, we have six children,lol, so kids do not bother us. We tried most of the restaurants and found them very good, but that is another review! The bar drinks were wonderful and we met the bartender in the main lobby bar that had been there since they opened in 1991! He was great. We even saw a group of new employees having their orientation tour and they ALL had HUGE smiles on their faces! I think that says a lot. I am a hospitality and culinary arts major, so I know how this business works. We did a Cabana Dinner and I HIGHLY recommend this, if you can possibly do it! Its a once in a lifetime experience in my opinion. I wish I had opted for a meal with less courses, but that is another review as well! We saw whales each day and they were incredible. Our room was an ocean deluxe king and was spacious and had everything we could every need. Housekeeping was so great, they made up our room each day as if they just knew when we would be leaving and when we'd be back. Plentiful towels too. The bathroom was perfect for two and adjustable shower head was luxury. The only negative comment I could think of( two actually) is a wish that the very tall palms might be trimmed or something. It was a little annoying to try to look at the beautiful see from our "ocean front" room and have a big hedge of palms blocking part of the view. But the view was still amazing and beautiful!! The other negative is the carts that go by the door at all hours on the hard, clay tile floors. I know luggage has to arrive to rooms and room service and housekeeping carts as well, but honestly, they are all SO LOUD going down the walk ways that almost every night one woke me up. I have no solution but it was a bit of a negative. I think the Grand definitely has the best beach front. Looked to me like Four Season's guests had to walk down a fairly steep incline to access the beach area. The Grand, you just walk down a gently, sloped, green lawn. We did not spend a lot of time on the actual beach due to my personal preference of pool side, but the ocean view is still amazing at the pool. We also did the Grand Luau and that was the BEST! We had front row seats and the fire handler was incredible. He even made my husband a part of the show, lol. He thanks us for being good sports after the show. I just loved the entire experience. Again, another review. I could go on and on about this place. We were planning our return trip when we were still there! The convenience of the Shops at Wailea is a great asset as well. Such an easy walk to great shopping! If you ever get even half a chance, stay in this beautiful , amazing place! I did not use the spa service, so I cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: Ocean front deluxe, seventh floor!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CLBuch
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Grand Wailea is a beautiful and fancy resort. The location in Wailea is perfect. Great beach and weather. The kids really enjoyed the water slide and swimming pools. It is a rather pricey resort with inflated prices on rooms and dining. It can keep those prices high because people love it there. It is a fun place to go a splurge and enjoy the beauty of Maui. For the price and room size, I would rather get a condo.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our firm held a retreat at this hotel recently and I was very impressed with the service and attitude of most all the staff. The rooms were very nice and the food at the hotel was good. I did find that the conceirge manager was less than accommodating and did not go the extra mile to ensure that our group could get activities coordinated. However, when she was not on duty - the concerige staff that was working was EXCELLENT. The tapas restaraunt on site was excellent.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room! All rooms have some ocean view - but it is so beautiful you should definatl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Micki L
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked the GW for the last few days of our trip on Maui in January and we couldn't have had a better family experience at any of the other hotels in Wailea. Although there were not any ocean view rooms available our room did actually have a great ocean view from our lanai (where most hotels claim 'ocean view' and you have to lean over your balcony to see it). The property is very large so if you have small children I would recommend asking for a room closer to the pools/waterslides. Our room was very close to the elevator and kids pools so we felt like we had easy access to it. I liked that you could get whatever towels you needed, we have stayed at other hotels in Wailea where you are given towel cards and this gets stressful! We did have to get wristbands for the pool area but I like this as I've heard people come in from other properties and this will crowd the pool quickly. Our girls (8 and 9) had a BALL in the lazy river and water slides. The property itself was very beautiful. Given the mediocre reviews I was expecting the property to be a bit worn out (and we have stayed at many 4/5 star properties that have seen better days) but I was very impressed with the landscaping and the cleanliness of the property. The lobby is gorgeous and the shops had what we needed during our stay.

I have had better poolside food (Andaz is amazing), and the Humuhumunukunukyapua'a restaurant is dated but we DID love our food and the view.

We will DEFINITELY return while our kids still enjoy the pools!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I booked this hotel for our anniversary thinking we would get an awesome luxurious experience. For more than $500 a night, it was a big letdown. While the place sure looked grand and sprawling, attention to detail was sorely lacking. The facilities have aged and they do show. There was gaudy holiday decor and just too many people. Avoid this hotel if you want a romantic place. We booked our anniversary dinner at Humuhumu with visions of a romantic sunset while sipping champagne, however we were not expecting to be seated beside families with noisy kids and crying babies. That was a total turn-off. The Humuhumu hut was also shabby and badly needing renovation. The rooms were huge with a luxurious bathroom and a big balcony that looked out to the ocean, but that was about it. My sister and her husband in an adjoining room suffered extreme allergies from the dusty carpet.

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade. The rooms facing the gardens are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goodtimer
GWExecutiveOffice, Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Mahalo for taking the time to review your stay with us at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. We strive to offer every guest a genuine Waldorf Astoria luxury experience, and we will use your comments to ensure that our processes are in place to achieve that. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and ask that you call me personally to speak in more detail at 808 874 2426. I hope to impress upon you our sincerest care for your comfort. Warmest aloha, Kai Pelayo, Director of Operations.
New York, United States
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Hotel is very Grand, although a little on the older side, the experienced staff makes you feel right at home as soon as you arrive! Vance takes your car & remembers ur name, Shane & the ladies at the front desk get u ur rooms in a blink. ur luggage arrives promptly. Alan is eager to get U a drink at the Botero Bar & let ur vacayion begin!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Lisa-Ann M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!