We came in with the expectations that the Grand Wailea was more for families and needed some room improvements based on what was posted in the reviews - both accurate observations. Still, we made our reservations so we could take advantage of the water park (since we act like kids) and the price was right for Wailea.
If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing resort look elsewhere. The sheer size of the Grand Wailea means lots of people by the pool, kids screaming, people packed in on the beach, people everywhere. It reminded us of a cruise ship - and not in a good way.
The overall hotel was dated, but had beautiful grounds. We were placed in the Lagoon wing which had a great view of the water park and the ocean so we could watch the whales. I would give the room a 6 out of 10. I'm a clean freak and the white tile and grout from the 1990s is extremely hard to keep up with. The mattress was lumpy and tilted back. After a few days we were wondering why our backs hurt - we found the culprit!
All the staff we encountered were wonderful and went out of their way to help. Valet was quick if we called for the car - never waited. The water park is VERY fun and we loved the big slide, the grotto and water elevator.
If you don't mind crowds & kids for your Maui vacation the Grand Wailea is a good place to stay for the price - definitely fun for families. We will most likely stay at the Four Seasons or Andaz next Maui trip because we prefer a quieter, smaller hotel.
*Location - walk to the mall
*Kula Cafe was a great place to eat breakfast without breaking the bank
*Kids everywhere with parents who are obviously deaf because no one tried to stop them from screaming
*Too big, too many people
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, is the ultimate destination for a fabulous Hawaii vacation, perfect for families, spa goers, honeymooners, golfers and active vacationers. Situated on 40 acres of lush, tropical Hawaiian gardens, Grand Wailea opens onto Maui's beautiful Wailea Beach, voted one of the best beaches in America, with elegant and newly-renovated accommodations, indulgent spa treatments, fine dining and thrilling recreational options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Wailea - a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Wailea
- Grand Wailea Maui
- Grand Wailea Resort Maui
- Grand Wailea Hawaii
- Grand Hotel Wailea
- Grand Resort Wailea
- Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort Maui