My wife and I stayed her in February of 2014 and we had a blast. However, I should provide a short disclaimer....our room was completely paid for by our group for the conference that we were there for.
Short, sweet, and to the point:
Rooms - beautiful. Our room was on the upper portion near the parking lot facing the mountains (North), but we still had a slight view of the Ocean. No big deal, it was FREE!!! The bathroom was awesome, porch was great, bed's comfortable. The only downside was the internet connection was aweful and you only got 1MB/s (2 if you paid extra). We did get the chance to see a large family suite facing the Ocean; pretty awesome. However, I'd recommend staying in the lower section of the hotel. It was a pretty long walk for us to the pool and beach. No big deal though (honestly).
Service - great! Staff was very helpful and cheerful. A pleasure to talk to. Only a couple of sticking points: 1.) when we arrived they only had a double (apparently when our reservation was made it didn't specify a king). This happens, and the hotel was probably at 90%. However, they said there wasn't another king available unless we wanted an upgraded room that cost $1,000/night (no thanks!). 2.) They promote a free diving course that is held each day for hotel guests. My wife and I our certified divers, but she wanted to take advantage of the free course as a refresher. They didn't ask, but we told them we were certified and then they said we'd have to pay $35 for something that ALL other guests got for free. I get it...they want to get people in the free course to try to "sell" them on getting certified (where they'll make money), but still, this just didn't seem fair.
Beach - Awesome! Not crowded at all, very private. PLUS, you have two reefs (rock outcroppings) that form the boundary of the hotel's portion of the beach. These are great for snorkelling. Tons of sea life, including turtles! Awesome...don't waste your money scuba diving, you'll see as much sea life snorkeling here.
Pools - even more awesome. Not too crowded, never fought for a chair. Servers are around regularly. We didn't have our daughter with us, but we still stuck by the bigger pool in lieu of the adult pool. The adult pool just seemed boring, but I guess if you're looking for peace and quiet, that's where you wanna be. The main pool has a lazy river with a bunch of connecting slides! Very fun...not too crowded with kids. There's two speed slides and a water elevator too. Very cool. You can also check out the grotto bar; tell Richard I said hi! He's awesome! Good music, good company, waterfalls, booze! Awesome! They also have a neat kiddie pool (I wished we had our daughter with us, she would've loved it). It's for babies and is completely roped off. What's neat is that they have a sand beach that goes right into the pool, so you can pick how shallow or deep you want your little one. It's a 0-entry pool.
Food and Restaurants - overpriced. $15 for hot dog, $15 for most drinks. Most of the bartenders free poured so you were making out ok on the drinks. And ALL of the food, despite the cost, was good. Even the regular hot dog was out of this world! Still hard to find a quick reasonable snack tough.
Some tips...there is a little mall right next door (about a 2 minute walk). They have a couple of reasonable restaurants there, plus stores where you can stock up on cheap snacks and booze. That's the way to go (unless you're rich!).
Overall, we'd love it here and we'd go back in a heartbeat (and as soon as we win the mega millions!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, is the ultimate destination for a fabulous Hawaii vacation, perfect for families, spa goers, honeymooners, golfers and active vacationers. Situated on 40 acres of lush, tropical Hawaiian gardens, Grand Wailea opens onto Maui's beautiful Wailea Beach, voted one of the best beaches in America, with elegant and newly-renovated accommodations, indulgent spa treatments, fine dining and thrilling recreational options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Hilton Hotels Direct, Ebookers, Priceline, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Wailea - a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Wailea
- Grand Wailea Maui
- Grand Wailea Resort Maui
- Grand Wailea Hawaii
- Grand Hotel Wailea
- Grand Resort Wailea
- Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort Maui