“Awesome!!!...but pricey”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Baltimore, Maryland
“Awesome!!!...but pricey”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I stayed her in February of 2014 and we had a blast. However, I should provide a short disclaimer....our room was completely paid for by our group for the conference that we were there for.

Short, sweet, and to the point:

Rooms - beautiful. Our room was on the upper portion near the parking lot facing the mountains (North), but we still had a slight view of the Ocean. No big deal, it was FREE!!! The bathroom was awesome, porch was great, bed's comfortable. The only downside was the internet connection was aweful and you only got 1MB/s (2 if you paid extra). We did get the chance to see a large family suite facing the Ocean; pretty awesome. However, I'd recommend staying in the lower section of the hotel. It was a pretty long walk for us to the pool and beach. No big deal though (honestly).

Service - great! Staff was very helpful and cheerful. A pleasure to talk to. Only a couple of sticking points: 1.) when we arrived they only had a double (apparently when our reservation was made it didn't specify a king). This happens, and the hotel was probably at 90%. However, they said there wasn't another king available unless we wanted an upgraded room that cost $1,000/night (no thanks!). 2.) They promote a free diving course that is held each day for hotel guests. My wife and I our certified divers, but she wanted to take advantage of the free course as a refresher. They didn't ask, but we told them we were certified and then they said we'd have to pay $35 for something that ALL other guests got for free. I get it...they want to get people in the free course to try to "sell" them on getting certified (where they'll make money), but still, this just didn't seem fair.

Beach - Awesome! Not crowded at all, very private. PLUS, you have two reefs (rock outcroppings) that form the boundary of the hotel's portion of the beach. These are great for snorkelling. Tons of sea life, including turtles! Awesome...don't waste your money scuba diving, you'll see as much sea life snorkeling here.

Pools - even more awesome. Not too crowded, never fought for a chair. Servers are around regularly. We didn't have our daughter with us, but we still stuck by the bigger pool in lieu of the adult pool. The adult pool just seemed boring, but I guess if you're looking for peace and quiet, that's where you wanna be. The main pool has a lazy river with a bunch of connecting slides! Very fun...not too crowded with kids. There's two speed slides and a water elevator too. Very cool. You can also check out the grotto bar; tell Richard I said hi! He's awesome! Good music, good company, waterfalls, booze! Awesome! They also have a neat kiddie pool (I wished we had our daughter with us, she would've loved it). It's for babies and is completely roped off. What's neat is that they have a sand beach that goes right into the pool, so you can pick how shallow or deep you want your little one. It's a 0-entry pool.

Food and Restaurants - overpriced. $15 for hot dog, $15 for most drinks. Most of the bartenders free poured so you were making out ok on the drinks. And ALL of the food, despite the cost, was good. Even the regular hot dog was out of this world! Still hard to find a quick reasonable snack tough.

Some tips...there is a little mall right next door (about a 2 minute walk). They have a couple of reasonable restaurants there, plus stores where you can stock up on cheap snacks and booze. That's the way to go (unless you're rich!).

Overall, we'd love it here and we'd go back in a heartbeat (and as soon as we win the mega millions!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

It's a huge resort! Very nice landscapes and the building resembles "W" for Wailea!
They also have their own chapel and it's beautiful. The rooms are spacious and with balcony overlooking the sea. My room was overlooking the chapel and the sea! Nice...
Maui is a beautiful island to visit... and if you're staying in Grand Wailea... what can I say... just "Superb"!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The resort was large but still easy to navigate around. Our room while perhaps a bit in need of a refresh was still lovely! I have not one complaint about the room, great bed and soft sheets. The bathroom was very clean and I really enjoyed getting ready in it. 1= the room, beautiful and c'mon when you get to wake up in paradise how can you have a complaint! 2= fitness center, awesome! Plenty of machines and all of them were in tip top shape. The spa, which I visited for a little treat was also amazing, great services and first class products. 3= the toiletries, they were the Grand Wailea brand so not sure what they really are but they were fabulous. Just smelling them makes you know you are in Hawaii. They smelled of pineapples and other yummy scents. The pool are was large and there were plenty of seats and staff to provide whatever you need. The swim up bar in a little grotto area was also really cool. The beach was beautiful and well maintained.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Kahului, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We live in Maui so we enjoyed having a staycation and our weekend get-away with our family. My husband and I work so much we rarely get to take in the beautiful island that we live on. Staying at the Grans gave us the opportunity to enjoy our island home in luxury. Just wish we could do it more often.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have been to Hawaii 62x and stayed at many top notch resorts. The Grand Wailea rates certainly in the top 3 in all of Hawaii! I would definitely go back and recommend this marvelous resort to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Sparky T
Fort McMurray
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Great spa and amazing views from the rooms as well as the common areas but the rooms themselves were a bit tired and in need of an update. We enjoyed the food in every restaurant we found on the property. We never had a bad meal but it was incredibly expensive. We found a local shopping center a short walk away that had some cheaper options for meals that were also good quality and value. The sculptures throughout the property were lovely. The staff was good but not great. They were very friendly but did not seem to know what to do when things went wrong. We had some people on our trip who lost luggage but they really did not go out of their way to help out. It was a bit disappointing because this place was a splurge cost wise. I was there for work and added some personal time but my husband was there just for fun.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We spent 6 days on Grand Wailea, my husband and I were not happy about the experience. I include our experience below, and we will definitely not stay there again.

Pros:
- Beach area is organized and proper. However, it's very short and you can have same quality by the other hotels around.
- Kids will most likely enjoy the pools.
- Bed is comfortable.

Cons:
- I don't understand how a hotel of this size can have a small and unorganized breakfast hall, queuing for 30-50 mins to have a table for breakfast is just unacceptable, and when we were finally seated, the waitress kept coming everything 3 mins asking if we want something else, sounded like she was hurrying us up so she can give the table for someone else. Unpleasant breakfast experience that made us have breakfast in the mall next to the hotel for the other days, although the breakfast itself was very good and a lot of choices but was not worth the waiting time or the money we paid for it.

- The room's furniture is old, and the fridge closet had wood sticking out, carpet is old and not very clean, shower floor is broken and had ugly stains.

- Pools umbrellas: first come first serve, I totally understand but when there are very few umbrellas around, then this is just total disappointment. You ask the employees around the pool to help sorting out one or find a place, they tell you "first come first serve" and they turn their faces away. Regarding adult pools, I am not sure I can say there's proper one. on Sunday the pool was dirty and you can see dead flies and insects in the water.

- Employees: Always in a rush, no smiling faces, front desk employees clearly not happy to work there, the only person who made us feel welcomed was the man bringing our bags to the room, we had a nice chat with him, he was smiling all the time and gave us tips for what we can do around the area for the day.

- Internet is a joke, very very slow for the whole 6 days we were there, and it disconnects every few minutes. I gave up on using the hotel internet and I wasn't willing to pay for their paid internet cause I felt I am forced to, so I used my roaming internet instead.

- Not enough eating choices in the hotel, and I wouldn't advise considering CAFE KULA inside the hotel an eating choice at all, my husband ordered a burger and fries, I couldn't stand the smell of it, burger was burnt and you can smell the frying oil that has not been changed for months. Bistro can be a better choices but service is poor and food is over priced for what you get.
- The outer area is big however not enough signs to show you directions.

In brief, I would really suggest you spend the money somewhere else, we were disappointed although Maui is a nice place, but when you fly 17 hours to be there, and you pay hell a lot of money to stay in a proper hotel and not get even a 2 stars service in return, it makes your whole experience a disaster and definitely made us wish we had spent this money somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Vaguish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!