This was the hotel we chose on our Maui visit in Hawaii. We were greeted by the now familiar car valet guys who hung a bead garland around the men and a flower lei around the ladies. Our car was whisked away and luggage removed and we were directed to the check in desk.
When you hear Waldorf Astoria, what springs to mind?
The iconic hotel at Aldwych in the Strand London UK?
The Waldorf Astoria at Park Avenue New York USA?
What about the Trianon Palace Waldorf Astoria Versailles Paris France?
This hotel was not what I call a Waldorf Astoria and it was the name that made me book this hotel.
This hotel had a long line waiting to be checked in at reception. I am a Diamond Hilton member and went to stand in the HHonors line but I did not like the looks I was given by the other guests waiting in the long line before me so I chose to retreat to the regular line of guests. After what seemed like an eternity I was "processed" by a very efficient reception assistant who rattled off the amenities I was to receive, handed me my room keys together with a bundle of paperwork and directed me towards the elevators and to my "gated" area of the Hotel called Napua Tower. We had a Napua Club room which was a lovely large room with Balcony overlooking the gardens of this huge resort. Now you may be wondering why I stated that "maybe we went at the wrong time of the year" this is because everywhere we went in the resort we were surrounded by children. I have nothing against children, I have two of my own and four grandchildren but I thought that schools were not out yet, I was wrong for this resort. There were families in every area and children absolutely everywhere we went.
Our room was huge with a massive bathroom containing a large tub, separate walk in shower, separate toilet and two wash basins. Typical Hilton toiletries and lots of towels. The bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows. The balcony had a partial Ocean view (only the suites have a full view). Safe, unstocked mini bar and wifi was offered for free but did not work well at all, anywhere. The Napua tower had a dedicated lounge area where breakfast was served and there was a free bar in the evening with bar food thrown in. This was extremely generous as for an hour you were able to order any drinks at the bar on the house.
The resort itself is enormous with a central huge bar area and in the evening an entertainer played to guests. In the grounds of the hotel is a general pool area and an adult only pool area, both were extremely busy and we did not use these facilities as they were both overrun with children and families.
If you are going to this resort with your family you will have the time of your life - it is truly magnificent! If like me you are an adult couple I am afraid you may hate it! I did not hate it as such but it was unpleasant. We were not aware of any members of staff as the resort is so large that there was no personal service.
There is a great restaurant in the grounds of the resort called Humuhumunakunakuapua'a (get your mouth around that!) it is a fabulous restaurant and like everything on this resort - HUGE. We went for a meal on our final evening as a treat and what did we find? Loads of children at tables including babies!! At least 4 tables around us had children lying on the table asleep and there were babies crying, probably preferring to be in bed rather than at a restaurant. This was not a pleasant meal for us and quite frankly we felt outnumbered by families. Ever been to a party where you are clearly not the kind of guests who should be there? That was us at this resort.
We enjoyed our time in Maui and we enjoyed some of the time in the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, is the ultimate destination for a fabulous Hawaii vacation, perfect for families, spa goers, honeymooners, golfers and active vacationers. Situated on 40 acres of lush, tropical Hawaiian gardens, Grand Wailea opens onto Maui's beautiful Wailea Beach, voted one of the best beaches in America, with elegant and newly-renovated accommodations, indulgent spa treatments, fine dining and thrilling recreational options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Wailea - a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Wailea
- Grand Wailea Maui
- Grand Wailea Resort Maui
- Grand Wailea Hawaii
- Grand Hotel Wailea
- Grand Resort Wailea
- Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort Maui