“Maybe we went at the wrong time of the year”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was the hotel we chose on our Maui visit in Hawaii. We were greeted by the now familiar car valet guys who hung a bead garland around the men and a flower lei around the ladies. Our car was whisked away and luggage removed and we were directed to the check in desk.

When you hear Waldorf Astoria, what springs to mind?
The iconic hotel at Aldwych in the Strand London UK?
The Waldorf Astoria at Park Avenue New York USA?
What about the Trianon Palace Waldorf Astoria Versailles Paris France?
This hotel was not what I call a Waldorf Astoria and it was the name that made me book this hotel.

This hotel had a long line waiting to be checked in at reception. I am a Diamond Hilton member and went to stand in the HHonors line but I did not like the looks I was given by the other guests waiting in the long line before me so I chose to retreat to the regular line of guests. After what seemed like an eternity I was "processed" by a very efficient reception assistant who rattled off the amenities I was to receive, handed me my room keys together with a bundle of paperwork and directed me towards the elevators and to my "gated" area of the Hotel called Napua Tower. We had a Napua Club room which was a lovely large room with Balcony overlooking the gardens of this huge resort. Now you may be wondering why I stated that "maybe we went at the wrong time of the year" this is because everywhere we went in the resort we were surrounded by children. I have nothing against children, I have two of my own and four grandchildren but I thought that schools were not out yet, I was wrong for this resort. There were families in every area and children absolutely everywhere we went.

Our room was huge with a massive bathroom containing a large tub, separate walk in shower, separate toilet and two wash basins. Typical Hilton toiletries and lots of towels. The bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows. The balcony had a partial Ocean view (only the suites have a full view). Safe, unstocked mini bar and wifi was offered for free but did not work well at all, anywhere. The Napua tower had a dedicated lounge area where breakfast was served and there was a free bar in the evening with bar food thrown in. This was extremely generous as for an hour you were able to order any drinks at the bar on the house.

The resort itself is enormous with a central huge bar area and in the evening an entertainer played to guests. In the grounds of the hotel is a general pool area and an adult only pool area, both were extremely busy and we did not use these facilities as they were both overrun with children and families.

If you are going to this resort with your family you will have the time of your life - it is truly magnificent! If like me you are an adult couple I am afraid you may hate it! I did not hate it as such but it was unpleasant. We were not aware of any members of staff as the resort is so large that there was no personal service.

There is a great restaurant in the grounds of the resort called Humuhumunakunakuapua'a (get your mouth around that!) it is a fabulous restaurant and like everything on this resort - HUGE. We went for a meal on our final evening as a treat and what did we find? Loads of children at tables including babies!! At least 4 tables around us had children lying on the table asleep and there were babies crying, probably preferring to be in bed rather than at a restaurant. This was not a pleasant meal for us and quite frankly we felt outnumbered by families. Ever been to a party where you are clearly not the kind of guests who should be there? That was us at this resort.

We enjoyed our time in Maui and we enjoyed some of the time in the hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a Napua Tower room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HotelBloke
There are newer reviews for Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We've stayed here twice and both times were fabulous. The pools and slides are amazing, the beach is lovely, the snorkeling and scuba diving are great. The staff is really excellent and accommodating. Yes it is expensive but most of Maui is. We've recommended it to family and now they are going back a second time because they liked it so much.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel accommodations were very nice. The hotel room was clean and comfortable. We found the common areas to be clean and beautiful. The spa accommodations and massage were great. Concierge services were very helpful and did not necessarily direct us to the hotel places to eat.

I was surprised at the slow check in process. For some reason there was only one person working the desk with a line of guests waiting to check in. I found the same thing at check out. Being a Hilton Honors member didn't seem to help the process as no one was helping the guests in the member line.

I looked into the hotels membership program for additional value, however the payback was not there unless you plan on staying 8-10 nights within the next 1-2 years. The real value is the room discount offered. Even as a hotel member, you don't gain access to shorter lines at check in/out or room upgrades.

The valet staff was on time and provided beach towels and bottles water in your car. A nice touch!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank DWYSYWD
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This beautiful resort provided a great relaxation and staging place for our family vacation in June. We stayed on the first floor of the Chapel wing which provides a nice view of the beach, The beach sand is very comfortable along with clear water for swimming and paddle-boarding. I went on a snorkel outing one morning to a point about mid-way around the rocks to the North and observed plenty of tropical fish including a large Anglefish and a couple of turtles. This South part of the island had tradewinds blowing along with low humidity for a refreshing outdoor climate. The breakfast buffet was good with a nice outdoor view of the resort. Our family took the scuba lesson in the pool along with the follow-on shore dive. Go early for the better water visibility. The swimming pool water slides are fun for the kids. We enjoyed the lua entertainment, especially the fire twirler. I noticed later that the man performing the fire stunts was the same guy in the 2011 movie "Just Go With It" (with Adam Sandler & Jennifer Aniston) that has plenty of pictures of this resort in it. It is a short drive from Grand Wailea to Kihei for surfing and shopping or to Big Beach to watch the locals perform amazing maneuvers on their body boards.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TomandMarla
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here in July for four nights with our boys aged 14 & 17. The rooms are huge with large bathrooms. We upgraded for $50pn to ocean view rooms and didn't regret it...great view. There is plenty to do at this resort...or nothing - your choice! The grounds are extremely picturesque as is the adorable chapel! The pool area is huge and has slides, whirlpools and a rope swing. If you wanted a chair by the pool you had to get there early - only downside I could see. Lots of places to eat and the staff were amazing. Had an extremely relaxing time which is just what we planned!

Room Tip: Ocean view if at all possible....great views!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jackie B
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a great resort! Views of the neighboring islands are breath taking. The pool area is unique and exceeded our expectations with all of the interconnecting pools via slides and landscaped paths. Our room was spacious with a large bathroom and incredible view.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Jeffrey C
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is my second time staying here at the Grand. The concierge did a tremendous job making this trip unforgettable...I proposed to my fiancé there! The ocean view/mountain views from your room can certainly rival the "postcards" at the local tourist markets!! Tell you what, Go check it out for yourself and take sometime to drive over to Lahaina for some fresh seafood and gelato, it's a great little getaway while you're away! Oh, and If you're adventurous, try the 45 minute or so drive up the side of the mountain (I forgot the name-don't judge me) the front desk will give you a map, to catch the sunrise!!! WOW!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank MrHawkins79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!