I loved this resort for a family vacation. It can be very romantic (at night) for adults but you can get that elsewhere. However, it rocks as a really nice place to take your kids.
I read a lot of the reviews before I went. I agree with some of the things people did not like but still give it 5-stars because I went there for the family experience. Yes, the pool area is a zoo; 5-stories of pools connected by waterslides and a lazy river…with a water elevator. I did not see one unhappy kid. You have to go through the ritual every morning of getting a wristband, towels and then stake out your spot. If you don’t, you won’t get one until people leave in the afternoon. The kids stay in the water the whole time. There are rooms that cost less than a cabana rental. I did not see it was worth-it.
The beach is a great section of beach. It was easy enough to get an umbrella and chair and they have guys there to set up for you. You have to get there early too. As with the pool, that is where the kids want to be and they will drag you down early. Most people are from later time zones anyway.
I guess you could say the hotel rooms are a little dated but they are still very nice. I have been to some of the finest hotels in Europe and those rooms are “dated” too. :) When you consider you have families in and out of there with swimsuits drying on the balcony (they give you a rack), they keep the rooms very well.
As far as resorts go, the food is fairly priced. It is expensive but compared to other resorts, it is priced about the same. The food quality was good at all the restaurants and they all have kid’s menus. The servers were all kid friendly. Room service was priced about the same as what I see in hotels in major cities. The food portions were huge and the quality was good. All hotels attach a gratuity to room service but the people delivering the food here did not seem to expect more. They were very professional.
The grounds are amazing. We walked every night after dinner.
I also enjoyed the Grand Luau. I went for the premium seats and am happy I did. The show was very enjoyable. The buffet was good too.
99% of the people working there were friendly and helpful. If you want to treat your family to an amazing vacation in Maui, this is it. They will not want to leave the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, is the ultimate destination for a fabulous Hawaii vacation, perfect for families, spa goers, honeymooners, golfers and active vacationers. Situated on 40 acres of lush, tropical Hawaiian gardens, Grand Wailea opens onto Maui's beautiful Wailea Beach, voted one of the best beaches in America, with elegant and newly-renovated accommodations, indulgent spa treatments, fine dining and thrilling recreational options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Wailea - a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Wailea
- Grand Wailea Maui
- Grand Wailea Resort Maui
- Grand Wailea Hawaii
- Grand Hotel Wailea
- Grand Resort Wailea
- Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort Maui