“Potential for great stay not realized my small hotel missteps”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Singapore
“Potential for great stay not realized my small hotel missteps”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Really nice location, great for families, generally really friendly service staff. Lest for the below, the resort would have received 4 out of 5 stars overall for me. 1) Water: like any normal 5 star hotel in the world, you should deliver 2 bottles of complimentary water to the room each day, not only on arrival day. And if it's chargable, don't charge so much for it. It's the tropics afterall. 2) Extra 25$ charge per day: If I'm already paying ~400/night for the room, charging 25 extra on top for resort usage is a ripoff to me. Especially since we only used the pool/beach area on 2 days of the total stay but we got charged for each day of the stay. 3) One of the pillows smelled really unpleasant, like a wet dog sat on it a few days before These 3 super small points tainted a potentially very satisfying stay for me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

2 Thank bayshorebummer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I loved this resort for a family vacation. It can be very romantic (at night) for adults but you can get that elsewhere. However, it rocks as a really nice place to take your kids.

I read a lot of the reviews before I went. I agree with some of the things people did not like but still give it 5-stars because I went there for the family experience. Yes, the pool area is a zoo; 5-stories of pools connected by waterslides and a lazy river…with a water elevator. I did not see one unhappy kid. You have to go through the ritual every morning of getting a wristband, towels and then stake out your spot. If you don’t, you won’t get one until people leave in the afternoon. The kids stay in the water the whole time. There are rooms that cost less than a cabana rental. I did not see it was worth-it.

The beach is a great section of beach. It was easy enough to get an umbrella and chair and they have guys there to set up for you. You have to get there early too. As with the pool, that is where the kids want to be and they will drag you down early. Most people are from later time zones anyway.

I guess you could say the hotel rooms are a little dated but they are still very nice. I have been to some of the finest hotels in Europe and those rooms are “dated” too. :) When you consider you have families in and out of there with swimsuits drying on the balcony (they give you a rack), they keep the rooms very well.

As far as resorts go, the food is fairly priced. It is expensive but compared to other resorts, it is priced about the same. The food quality was good at all the restaurants and they all have kid’s menus. The servers were all kid friendly. Room service was priced about the same as what I see in hotels in major cities. The food portions were huge and the quality was good. All hotels attach a gratuity to room service but the people delivering the food here did not seem to expect more. They were very professional.

The grounds are amazing. We walked every night after dinner.

I also enjoyed the Grand Luau. I went for the premium seats and am happy I did. The show was very enjoyable. The buffet was good too.

99% of the people working there were friendly and helpful. If you want to treat your family to an amazing vacation in Maui, this is it. They will not want to leave the hotel.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms give a peak of the ocean. Not sure the ocean view upgrades are worth it becau...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Belterish
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was the hotel we chose on our Maui visit in Hawaii. We were greeted by the now familiar car valet guys who hung a bead garland around the men and a flower lei around the ladies. Our car was whisked away and luggage removed and we were directed to the check in desk.

When you hear Waldorf Astoria, what springs to mind?
The iconic hotel at Aldwych in the Strand London UK?
The Waldorf Astoria at Park Avenue New York USA?
What about the Trianon Palace Waldorf Astoria Versailles Paris France?
This hotel was not what I call a Waldorf Astoria and it was the name that made me book this hotel.

This hotel had a long line waiting to be checked in at reception. I am a Diamond Hilton member and went to stand in the HHonors line but I did not like the looks I was given by the other guests waiting in the long line before me so I chose to retreat to the regular line of guests. After what seemed like an eternity I was "processed" by a very efficient reception assistant who rattled off the amenities I was to receive, handed me my room keys together with a bundle of paperwork and directed me towards the elevators and to my "gated" area of the Hotel called Napua Tower. We had a Napua Club room which was a lovely large room with Balcony overlooking the gardens of this huge resort. Now you may be wondering why I stated that "maybe we went at the wrong time of the year" this is because everywhere we went in the resort we were surrounded by children. I have nothing against children, I have two of my own and four grandchildren but I thought that schools were not out yet, I was wrong for this resort. There were families in every area and children absolutely everywhere we went.

Our room was huge with a massive bathroom containing a large tub, separate walk in shower, separate toilet and two wash basins. Typical Hilton toiletries and lots of towels. The bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows. The balcony had a partial Ocean view (only the suites have a full view). Safe, unstocked mini bar and wifi was offered for free but did not work well at all, anywhere. The Napua tower had a dedicated lounge area where breakfast was served and there was a free bar in the evening with bar food thrown in. This was extremely generous as for an hour you were able to order any drinks at the bar on the house.

The resort itself is enormous with a central huge bar area and in the evening an entertainer played to guests. In the grounds of the hotel is a general pool area and an adult only pool area, both were extremely busy and we did not use these facilities as they were both overrun with children and families.

If you are going to this resort with your family you will have the time of your life - it is truly magnificent! If like me you are an adult couple I am afraid you may hate it! I did not hate it as such but it was unpleasant. We were not aware of any members of staff as the resort is so large that there was no personal service.

There is a great restaurant in the grounds of the resort called Humuhumunakunakuapua'a (get your mouth around that!) it is a fabulous restaurant and like everything on this resort - HUGE. We went for a meal on our final evening as a treat and what did we find? Loads of children at tables including babies!! At least 4 tables around us had children lying on the table asleep and there were babies crying, probably preferring to be in bed rather than at a restaurant. This was not a pleasant meal for us and quite frankly we felt outnumbered by families. Ever been to a party where you are clearly not the kind of guests who should be there? That was us at this resort.

We enjoyed our time in Maui and we enjoyed some of the time in the hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a Napua Tower room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HotelBloke
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We've stayed here twice and both times were fabulous. The pools and slides are amazing, the beach is lovely, the snorkeling and scuba diving are great. The staff is really excellent and accommodating. Yes it is expensive but most of Maui is. We've recommended it to family and now they are going back a second time because they liked it so much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Memphis
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel accommodations were very nice. The hotel room was clean and comfortable. We found the common areas to be clean and beautiful. The spa accommodations and massage were great. Concierge services were very helpful and did not necessarily direct us to the hotel places to eat.

I was surprised at the slow check in process. For some reason there was only one person working the desk with a line of guests waiting to check in. I found the same thing at check out. Being a Hilton Honors member didn't seem to help the process as no one was helping the guests in the member line.

I looked into the hotels membership program for additional value, however the payback was not there unless you plan on staying 8-10 nights within the next 1-2 years. The real value is the room discount offered. Even as a hotel member, you don't gain access to shorter lines at check in/out or room upgrades.

The valet staff was on time and provided beach towels and bottles water in your car. A nice touch!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank DWYSYWD
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This beautiful resort provided a great relaxation and staging place for our family vacation in June. We stayed on the first floor of the Chapel wing which provides a nice view of the beach, The beach sand is very comfortable along with clear water for swimming and paddle-boarding. I went on a snorkel outing one morning to a point about mid-way around the rocks to the North and observed plenty of tropical fish including a large Anglefish and a couple of turtles. This South part of the island had tradewinds blowing along with low humidity for a refreshing outdoor climate. The breakfast buffet was good with a nice outdoor view of the resort. Our family took the scuba lesson in the pool along with the follow-on shore dive. Go early for the better water visibility. The swimming pool water slides are fun for the kids. We enjoyed the lua entertainment, especially the fire twirler. I noticed later that the man performing the fire stunts was the same guy in the 2011 movie "Just Go With It" (with Adam Sandler & Jennifer Aniston) that has plenty of pictures of this resort in it. It is a short drive from Grand Wailea to Kihei for surfing and shopping or to Big Beach to watch the locals perform amazing maneuvers on their body boards.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TomandMarla
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here in July for four nights with our boys aged 14 & 17. The rooms are huge with large bathrooms. We upgraded for $50pn to ocean view rooms and didn't regret it...great view. There is plenty to do at this resort...or nothing - your choice! The grounds are extremely picturesque as is the adorable chapel! The pool area is huge and has slides, whirlpools and a rope swing. If you wanted a chair by the pool you had to get there early - only downside I could see. Lots of places to eat and the staff were amazing. Had an extremely relaxing time which is just what we planned!

Room Tip: Ocean view if at all possible....great views!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jackie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!