“Grand experience of Hawaii”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
“Grand experience of Hawaii”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We knew from the second we arrived we were in a Hawaiian paradise. The Grand entrance is stunning and makes you know you are in Hawaii. The service was good. The property is beautiful and everything you see in the movies. The room was adequate and bed and bedding good enough. The pool is a blast (Even for my group of a 29, 23, 22 year old) We had no kids and still had a blast going down the slides and riding the lazy river. The beach is great and the water was very calm. The only complaint I had was that it was too crowded at the beach and pool. If you wanted to go out for an activity in the morning you will not be able to get an umbrella at the beach or a pool chair around the pool area. We also spent 4 days at the Andaz and if we return to Maui we will be staying at the Grand Wailea if possible.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tom w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Roseville, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Incredible vacation with the family. Pool is amazing, ocean views is breathtaking. Staff is top-notch-always there to help. Great restaurants on property. Kids loved the teddy-bear pancakes, and swimming with the turtles.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 17 July 2014

It has been 10+ years since my husband and I had first stayed at the Grand Wailea. We brought our 2 teenagers on this trip and as I expected, they were just as impressed as we were the first time we were there. We had adjoining rooms. The rooms are just as beautiful as the view. The service is top noch. We would HIGHLY recommend this resort to everyone.

san francisco
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We are staying here now with our two kids and they love it. They love the Tarzan swing, water slides, etc. My husband and I do not love it. The service has been excruciatingly slow and impersonal. It took us a long time (40 minutes?) to get through check-in. And today we waited 30 minutes for our car. When we asked, they realized they lost or forgot about our car. There are tiny ants in our bathroom which we've chosen to ignore. And there are lots of ants on the board above our door outside.The bedding is ok. Amasia restaurant is so overrated. We were very disappointed with our meals here. We've taken to driving to Paia to get great food. (However, the brunch at the hotel is really good with a huge selection.) I wouldn't stay here again. I paid too much for poor service and ants. I much prefer the four seasons or a condo or house rental.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank kshudsgold
Phoenix, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I recently took my family to Maui for our summer vacation and chose to stay at the Grand Wailea Resort. We were there for 15 days and were truly amazed with how beautiful the property was. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were kept clean. The only downside was the cost of food. It was definitely on the high side, but the quality was good. Overall, our stay was amazing and we would definitely go back.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I feel kind of guilty not giving the Grand Wailea my highest rating, because it was a truly beautiful resort. Our room had an ocean view that was stunning, the beds were comfy, the lobby just oozed luxuriousness. The beach was long, and had some great waves which excited my kiddos. The pool area is large and kid-friendly. So why didn't I love it as much as I thought I would?

I think, unfortunately, this resort was my least favorite of the 3 resorts I stayed at this vacation. (The other 2 being Disney's Aulani on Oahu and The Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island). The Grand Wailea probably had the best beach of all 3 resorts, but when comparing all other things, it came in third place for me.

Let's talk about the Grand Wailea pool...very nice! But not as nice as the one at Aulani, which was the resort we had just checked out of before arriving at the Grand Wailea. The pool facilities were kid-friendly, for sure, but not nearly as much as the pools at Aulani. This is probably an unfair comparison, but it was our experience. Leaving Aulani and coming here was somewhat of a disappointment in terms of friendliness and fun for our kids. If I had visited the Grand Wailea first, maybe I would have enjoyed it more. One problem I had with the pools at the Grand Wailea was that they opened kind of late, and seemed to close very early. Getting a towel and wristband for the pool was a very long wait, which got frustrating at times. The pool was actually so large and meandering, that we sometimes got lost just trying to orient ourselves to where we were. The entire resort was large, really, so this means lots of walking from the lobby to the restaurants and pool/beach areas.

The room, as I mentioned before, was awesome. Very elegant, amazing view, no complaints at all with our room. The restaurants were very nice, but the stand out experiences here were dinner at Humuhumunakunakuapua'a (stunning!!!) and the awesome Sunday brunch on the terrace. Loved both of these experiences, and I would recommend that you do both of those meals if you have the chance. I want to give some kudos to the the bell staff at the Grand Wailea. They were so friendly and helpful with directions and advice for visiting the island. I really loved my interactions with the bell staff, and they stood out as being some of the best people I interacted with at the Grand Wailea.

As far as location, I feel the Grand Wailea is on a good spot, with a lovely beach. Maui is simply a beautiful place to visit. I particularly loved being close to the mall (Shops at Wailea) because this gave us a quick option for additional restaurants, snacks/ice cream, and reasonable stores to buy sunscreen, etc. The Grand Wailea is a beautiful place, and I really can't find a lot of fault with it. If I were to return to Maui, though, I honestly think I might try another resort. I think the Grand Wailea is a solid choice for families, but it didn't hook me enough to make me want to come back there over and over again. I think perhaps the large size of this resort was somewhat of a detriment to our experience there. If you are looking for small, intimate and uncrowded, this is not the place. If you like a large, luxurious resort with lots of activities and restaurants, the Grand Wailea will likely fit your needs very well. In summary, I would not hesitate to recommend the Grand Wailea for it's elegance, beautiful beach, nice restaurants, and many amenities, but I would also recommend checking out some other resorts before making your final decision on booking a stay here.

Room Tip: Higher floor with ocean view gave us a stunning experience here. Loved sitting on the balcony and l...
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My fiancee and I stayed here for 8 nights in late June and got out at the beginning of Fourth of July week. And boy, were we glad we did, because as an adult couple without children, we enjoyed a pretty peaceful week before bedlam descended on the Sunday leading up to the Fourth. But I digress…

If you're looking for quiet and intimacy, this is not the hotel for you. It's a big, sprawling, mini-city of a hotel, with first-rate amenities, courteous and well-informed concierges, attentive servers (though likely not on par with the adjacent Four Seasons) and a beautiful property.

Rooms are a bit worn and dated, but you're not coming here for that; you're here for the grounds, the activities, the sunsets. There are a multitude of pools, fab water slides for all ages, and a lazy river. There are waterfalls raining down, a swim-up bar, and a Jacuzzi inside a cave. The adult pool (for those over 18) is a soothing balm for those looking to lounge about in relative calm and quiet, and there's poolside massages available by the half hour ($90-100) and hour ($150, but I could be wrong).

The beach, while not as long as the more famous Kaanapali, is still beautiful, and it's pretty easy to get set up with a chair, umbrella, and various water sports- snorkel, kayak, stand-up paddle board, etc. (No parasailing here; only on the west side). Water is most calm and lovely in the early am. By 11 or 12, it's as if a switch is flicked, the winds pick up, and so does the tide. Sunsets are dependably fabulous.

FYI: The horror stories you've heard about getting a poolside chair are true. It's easier to get a reservation at Tour L'Argent in Paris than it is to score a decent lounge chair by the pool. If you wander down to the adult pool past 8:00 or so- after you get your mandatory wristband and towel - you will likely be relegated to chairs on the grass between the pool and beach. You will gaze longingly and resentfully at the shaded private cabanas that someone has paid $500 a day for, just so they can wander away for hours without their chairs getting claimed.

If you are one of the privileged few who's planning on taking a cabana, then skip the next part of this review.

Here's how the racket works: starting shortly after 7am, a pool guard walks around and lays all "claimed" but unoccupied chairs flat. This starts the clock ticking. If the chair is still unoccupied after an hour, the pool guard has the right to "release" the chair to someone else. But if you nab your chair and stay in it until the guard has swept through your row, you will buy yourself extra time till the guard returns. Then you can go off, get breakfast, and saunter back down to the pool, smirking at the desperate fools who arrived too late.

Food tip: enjoy the more casual fare at Bistro Molokini, but skip the pricey restaurants. Amasia was a major disappointment. Humuhumunukunukuapua'a is better, with a more Hawaiian setting, but the food is pedestrian. The best dinner we had on Wailea was at Matteo's, a casual Italian place up the hill about 7 minutes away.

Beach tip: take the beach walkway to the Andaz Hotel (walking opposite from the Four Seasons) and spend a day on the glorious beach that stretches from the Andaz all the way down to the Days Inn. Or, take the car (or bicycle) the opposite direction and visit Big Beach, in McKenna State Park. Just a short distance away, don't miss the lava coastline at La Perouse Bay.

Spa tip: The spa is top-notch. If you get a treatment, be sure to arrive 45-60 mins. prior to take advantage of the spa amenities. It's all programmed to provide maximum relaxation, and you will be happy you took advantage.

Summary: If you're planning a trip before the kids go back to school in September, expect big crowds and families everywhere. The hotel is big and inclusive enough to have something for everyone, and even with the crowds, there are enough hidden nooks and tiki-lit paths to satisfy the die-hard romantics.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ForkINRoad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!