Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
6,885 results
All reviewswater elevatornapua towerlazy rivergrand wailearope swingchapel winghibiscus poolbistro molokinithe grand dining roomcafe kulaspa grandefour seasonspool areaadult poolvalet parkingper dayocean view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We usually stay at the Fairmont down the street and love it. We assumed the Waldorf would be similar in quality, but we choose it specifically for the seven pools and slides for our kids. The pools were fun for the kids, but that was the extent of anything positive...

Parking (Valet Only):
No mention before we arrive that we'd have to pay $30 a day for parking and it's valet only, so we had to tip multiple times per day as well.

The Beds:
Our bed was worn beyond its years and sagged like a banana both length-wise and width-wise. We would end up on top of each other in the middle.

The Pillows:
The largest and most awkward pillows I have slept on. After two nights we all felt better sleeping without a pillow.

Loud Construction Near the Pool:
Hotels.com did not mention that there was construction taking place at the hotel and it was not very relaxing to listen to heavy machinery all week at the pool.

Service at the Pool:
We had one really great server at the pool, but that was the exception. Most of the time you wouldn't see a server for an hour or more and when you did they were terse and almost annoyed (too many people at the pool and not enough help).

Dilapidated:
When you think 4.5 - 5 star hotel, you think clean, refurbished, and you pay a lot!!! This hotel is way past due for a refresh: the color scheme is all peach (late 80's style), the calk in the bathrooms and showers needs to be scraped and redone, the tiles are falling off in the pool, the towels they provide when you leave the hotel look like old scraps, and the crown molding is cracking and showing damage from the humidity.

Ridiculous Fees:
These always frustrate me. I want to pay the full price up front, with resort fees of $25 per day, and parking included.

Ridiculous Cost of Extras:
To rent a cabana for 4 for a day costs $450. The big cabana costs $1,800 (What?). Renting a boogie board, stand up paddle board, ocean kayak, etc. was over $100 for the first hour (Insane!). The Fairmont included these items as part of the stay.

Ridiculous Cost of Food:
Brunch was $50 per adult and $25 per child (we skipped that one). There are much better restaurants in Wailea that cost much less.

20  Thank TravisCable
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been to the Grand Wailea several times, the resort is one of the best I have ever been to. If you want to relax and enjoy Hawaii. You can do as much as you want or as little. Be with family's or stay on the Adult side of the poo. Area. They have a kids day care that I took our kids to,when we went to pick them. Up they did not want to leave. Shopping for the ladies and golf for the guys. But the most alsome thing is the massages. You can get one in the hotel or by the pool, I suggest by the pool so you here the ocean, very relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The one thing I would have criticism about regarding our recent stay was the quality/ taste of the food with in room dining and at the restaurants within the resort. The very first night we arrived we were extremely tired and hungry and were anticipating a very nice meal based on our initial impression of the quality of the hotel lobby/ rooms and staff. We ordered room service and had a fried chicken dinner with baked potato, spaghetti and meatballs, and a strawberry smoothie. Aside from the smoothie, the rest of the meal was hopeless. The skin off the chicken was dry and undercooked and the thick doughy crust slid off the chicken. The chicken itself was dry and tasteless. The spaghetti and meatballs was horrific. We were extremely disappointed that night but reserved judgement feeling it would be unfair until we sampled more items from the menu and/ or try other restaurants. The next day we had lunch at the bistro and I ordered the fish tacos which the waiter told us was a "specialty". Unfortunately, the fish was overcooked and dry and had literally no taste to it with a texture similar to rubber. After this experience, we as a family decided to start dining outside the resort and were happy to find many great options not too far from the hotel. Duo at the Four Seasons was excellent. Ruths Chris' steaks are arguably the best around. And we found a great little Indian restaurant with superb tasty food in Kehai. Aside from the culinary flaws our overall trip was a success and we loved the hotel. We do not hold it against you and we certainly will be staying there when we visit Maui again hopefully very soon. Thank you for a wonderful holiday!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first time in Hawaii and we are inlove with this Resort. Is beautiful... Super clean, staff is professional and friendly. My son love it! The kids pool is super cool with slides, Tarzan liana, lazy river, a little beach.... Now, our room... Oh God was perfect... The view is breathtaking... We were planing to go to a famous Luau but it was sold out till end of August.... So we reserved a Thursday night Luau at the resort.... It was absolutely amazing!!! The food... The dancers.... The show... What a nice surprise. They help you with the activities inside and outside the Resort, just make sure you ask at soon you get there... We are looking forward to comeback. Thanks to the perfect staff and of course the beautiful Maui for this amazing experience.

• Stayed: July 2014
GWExecutiveOffice, Public Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Aloha NattyMaxCecy,

Mahalo for your review and staying at Grand Wailea during your trip to Maui! We're glad you were able to experience the Luau and waterslides during your vacation and that your son enjoyed his time. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Mahalo,
Rachel @ Grand Wailea

Reviewed 21 July 2014

When reading reviews, I believe you need to know the reviewer. So here is a brief description of me: Family traveler, frequent traveler,t two teenagers 19 & 16, love 5 star hotels, don't mind paying for expensive hotels, items or service, I expect great service if I'm paying for it. I'm not overly picky, I try to see the positives, but will complain when necessary. With that said here is my review:

What a beautiful hotel. When my family arrived we were not greeted with our leis....I was disappointed......but 20 mins later that lady was there and we got our leis. She was very gracious and took tons of pictures for us. We arrived early, our room was not ready (check in 4:30) but they offered us a changing room and charge account so we can use the hotel and feel at home. At 4 pm my husband went to the front and complained said we traveled this far don't make us wait until 4:30 they understood. They upgraded our room to the Concierge tower, larger room with free continental bkfst, drinks and extra services. Room was large, bathroom huge, very comfortable.

Pool was beautiful......keeps everyone very busy and active. Your kids will be knocked out by 6 p.m. Lazy river, slides, Volleyball net, beach in pool, caves, adult cave bar with TVs, water elevator to big slide. Great!! Lots of pool chairs for lots of people. BUT, they reserve many of the lounges for "cabana rental" which are pricey. We did it one day we knew we were going to be there all day. Service at the pool was good for drinks & food.

Beach is beautiful.....pool and beach activity rental.....very reasonably priced. The pool activity and towel service were great. They had beach set-up with chairs and umbrellas, all the towels you need. We got the 4 day package of rental equipment for the kids for $109 each. Well worth it. Plus they gave my husband snorkel equip for free to go with the kids. They are currently located at the end of the pool because they are remodeling a new area right next to the pool (not an issue). You have to get wrist bands everyday. Why, in Hawaii ALL beaches have public access. So the hotel doesn't want just anyone using the hotel facilities.

Plenty of staff in the lobby to assist with travel, excursions, learn about the island etc. The shops were your normal hotel shops with some bargins. They have a market for drinks, snacks etc.

The Luau was very good. The food was surprisingly excellent. The pork was amazing. We waited on line to get our first drinks, but then our waiter came to our table and we never had to ask for a drink again, always had one ready. Show was beautiful.

The pool restaurant was good, pricey, but that's what I expect at a 4/5 star hotel. Drinks were $15 each.

There is no food or drink service on the beach because its a public beach, Hawaiian law. To the left is the Four Seasons and just pass that is a group of rocks. The snorkeling there is amazing. My family saw all the fish and turtles needed for a great experience.

Now Valet.......AMAZING, they were just a great group of people. We never waited for our car, we called down and it would be sitting there with towels and cold water ready to go. They always asked if we needed directions, more towels, make suggestions on where we should go. Great people.

My suggestions for the hotel......hired more pool staff. I'm in my cabana I want consistant service, not wait and look for the waitress. Service was good, but room for improvement. Balcony of rooms need to be cleaned more, I should have told the room maid but I didn't (my fault). Rooms were very clean.

One thing to know about the hotel in general.......The Lobby is on the fourth floor, you go down to the beach. There are two sets of elevator banks. So if you are on the 7 floor. From the pool you take the elevator to the 4th walk across the lobby the another elevator to the 7th floor. Suggestion, little kids get pool/garden view on the first floor. It was well worth getting upgraded to the concierge floor just for breakfast alone, saved lots of money. We ate bkfst at the restaurant one time it was $80 for 3.

I can't wait to go back and would love to stay at the Grand Wailea again. Oh and the location is great. If you go up to Ka'anapali its to commercial and crowed. Wailea area is great more upscale.

Room Tip: Any room facing the ocean, so that can be pool view, partial ocean, full ocean or garden view. Just don't want to look at the back.
1  Thank justkayla

Aloha JustKayla,

Mahalo for choosing Grand Wailea for your family vacation on Maui! Florida to Maui is quite a flight, so we appreciate your visit and your detailed observances as a family traveler. We love your advice on snorkeling locations -- if you come back, another great spot to venture off to for snorkeling is Makena Landing, also known as Turtle Beach, a great spot for Honu sightings that is a quick drive from our resort. We also appreciate your suggestion on having additional cabana staff available and the balcony feedback and are making our Pool Manager and Housekeeping Manager aware. We hope to welcome you and your family back to Grand Wailea and Maui again soon!

Mahalo,