“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Tucson, AZ
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The property here is beautiful. We got the club floor and I would suggest giving it a pass. The club floor offers the benefit of a continental breakfast, afternoon tea and cookies, and happy hour. The breakfast was okay and it was nice to go get coffee in the morning so close to the room, but a delicious breakfast was included with club and non-club rooms in the main dining room that put the club floor breakfast to shame. The tea and cookies were completely unremarkable and the happy hour was a cattle call and not worth it. Go to the grocery store and buy some cocktails for the room. Don't waste the $100 extra each night. I also have issue with the mandatory $30/day valet service that requires you to wait for your car and tip the valet. Add that to the resort fee and everything else and I felt nickeled and dimed.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for six days as part of a company trip with over 90 people. The resort is definitely the best in Wailea and I believe one of the best in Maui.

Location - the location is ideal, because it is close to the main exit out of Wailea and right next door to the Shops at Wailea that has the ABC store and the General Store.

Facilities - Scale is not always bad especially if it comes with good service. The resort is truly a one stop shop with everything you would need to make things comfortable including on-site car rental, many shops, and lots of staff to help you with your needs.

The hotel has prime access to the Wailea beach and the swimming facilities is probably one of the largest in Hawaii. There are I believe 8 water slides, a meandering river where you can just float down, several large pools, and an adults-only section as well.

There are many restaurants there including Alan Wong's Amasia and Humuhumu. I found Humuhumu to be one of my favorite restaurants in Hawaii.

"Hawaii pricing" adjusted, the hotel is reasonable, and they don't overcharge for anything more than what would be available off the property. This includes clothing as well as food.

I was told they will go through a large renovation of the rooms starting in August 2014, and after that I think it will be even better.

If you are not going to go to a Boutique Hotel or a house rental, I strongly recommend that you choose this resort. Don't try to brand shop because I have stayed at other hotels in Wailea and for a smaller scale resort you end up getting the worst of all worlds - inadequate service and cramped facilities (think long breakfast line). The Grand Wailea compensates with its sheer scale and that is what you want especially if you are with an extended family or large group.

Lastly, we are tennis lovers and were able to easily get an introduction to the Wailea Tennis Club and play there virtually every day for a small fee. It's a short walk or a quick drive away (about half a mile away).

Room Tip: Many rooms offer an ocean view. But if you are there for the water activities, the garden level (gr...
1 Thank MillionsRoadWarrior
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our 4th visit to the Grand Wailea! The grounds are like paradise! The Spa Grande is like none other! When my husband and I return we are relaxed and renewed!

My husband and I, 30 years married enjoyed ALL of the pools! We went in the world's only water elevator, sat at the bar in the grotto pool and watched the hockey game, went outrigger canoeing off the beach, used the FREE bike rentals to ride to Kihei and learned to surf!

I left my phone in the car and the valet quickly delivered it to my room! On another occasion, I misplaced my credit card! I was panicking! Yet again, another knock at the door and it had been found and returned!

We don't eat at the restaurants as they are pricey but do spend a lot at the pool bar! Nachos by the pool! yum!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy W
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We go to Maui every two years to our family condo, but decided to change it up a bit by staying at the Grand Wailea for a few nights. The pools and slides are very fun! The grounds are lovely. The fact that you are on vacation and have to be down at the towel/band hut by 7 am to be able to get a chair by the pool is a big bummer. I understand prices in Hawaii are ridiculous, but the price of food at the resort is ridiculous. Two breakfast burritos to go that I took down to the pool to save the seats at 7:00 were about $35. My 9 year old son, however LOVED the pools, the slides, the Tarzan rope, the lazy river and the water elevator so I do see a return visit in the future. We had an ocean view room which was very nice, but not sure I'd spring for that view again since we were at the pool by 7 (when the water slides don't even open till 10!).

Rooms
3 Thank AlohaGirl022
Pearl City, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Grand Wailea resort and spa. As Kama Aina's from another island, we are used to seeing the beauty of the our Hawaiian islands, however we can't help but mention the care taken to the overall landscaping of the resort. We also really enjoyed the pool area and the exceptional service received. Our Ohana can't wait to return for another luxurious staycation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Danville, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went here for Spring Break. I'm sure this place was beautiful and immaculate in it's day. The resort has gotten a bit run down over the years and needed some attention to details. ie- cracked tiles, repainting, level of cleaning. (compared to the Four Seasons next door)

The hotel is large and is a long walk to the pool/ beach. Given that it was spring break, it was crowded with lots of kids in the pool. Great fun for anyone with kids younger than 13. We paid an extra $100/day for a casabella (lounge chair) on the lawn area so we could avoid the crowded pool area. The beach is nice and you can get a free chair/umbrella on the sand if you get there early.

Our room/ bathroom was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. but was dated and in need of redecorating. Service was decent considering it was Spring Break. I cannot recommend the onsite Asian restaurant. It lacks ambiance and the food was mediocre. Having the cafe for morning Starbucks and a quick, casual breakfast was nice.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor to the left (if you are facing the ocean) and the view was great. Walk to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Travelmom143
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our seven night stay was both enjoyable and disappointing. Good value in garden level rooms, but when the bellman apologizes for the state of the room as he is unlocking it for you and telling you that renovations are about to happen, well, this does not make you feel like you are staying at a nice resort. The furnishings and carpet were in very rough shape. A large piece of masking tape with the word "Good" was affixed to the television. Mold in the bathroom, semi-functional aspects of the room, and many other signs of lack of care in maintenance were evident. We moved from 0055 the next morning to a garden room on the chapel side which had at least been given a fresh coat of paint, though the lanai door screen was torn, etc...Based on the room alone, I'd rate this a two star experience. "Free" Wi-Fi is basically unusable and seems like merely a way to frustrate guests into paying for the enhanced, non-throttled Wi-Fi. There was an ethernet cable in the room, but it was non-functional. F&B prices, as I expected were rapacious. Ten bucks for a smoothie; five for 4 ounces of Sprite. I understand this pricing when the resort is in tip top shape, but see above. Service was generally good. The hard working guys at the beach who set up chairs and umbrellas--forget about the pool if you get there after 7:00 a.m.--do everything they can to help you out. Pools and grounds are still very nice, though knocked over lighting fixtures and broken bits of infrastructure are abundant.

I mentioned the condition of the first room at check out and was told that renovations were to start, wing by wing, in August. This, obviously, wasn't a useful or relevant response to my statement. It was pretty clear she'd heard my complaint before. I expressed my opinion that the room should not be in their inventory and got a perfunctory reply. It was clear that some kind of management site visit was going on during our stay. Happy to see that corporate HQ is paying attention. The GW could be a great place to stay again someday, but it is very disappointing to see a hotel company let an asset decline to this point.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Paul O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!