“Family vacation”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The name says it all. Grand Wailea! The property was Awesome! The rooms were great! A real tropical experience. Great location close to shopping and restaurants. Lots of amenities and activities. The food was good but over priced! The service was slow but they are on Hawaiian time. So don't be in a hurry for anything. Me and the girls had a most excellent time! Would definitely recommend this property.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Donald K

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We decided to stay here a couple days at the end of multi-island vacation. I think that was the perfect thing to do as I can't imagine staying here longer than that. Come here with kids for the pool area. The beach is nice as well but the main unique feature is the pool. This hotel is busy and we encountered a number of bratty kids running amok so I think some parents feel they can just let their kids go at the hotel. This hotel doesn't give a real "Maui feel" for us. We've been to the island many times and much prefer other hotels and condos for a relaxing island escape that is less hectic and crowded. As other reviewers have said, be prepared to spend a lot if you eat/drink on property. Beds were comfortable. Pool area showing some age with missing tiles. Need some trash cans too as lazy guests leave cups and trash around in the plants and they aren't picked up until after the pool activities close. We weren't impressed but it was a fine couple days for what we wanted.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank AlexnJim
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I had a great time on our honeymoon. This is a fantastic hotel and offers a large range of activities from the hotel grounds. The fresh fruit at the buffet breakfast is amazing and is the perfect start to a days activity. The hotel is close to my favourite beaches in Maui. The room rate is quite expensive and the sun umbrellas do not give adequate sun protection.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The property here is beautiful. We got the club floor and I would suggest giving it a pass. The club floor offers the benefit of a continental breakfast, afternoon tea and cookies, and happy hour. The breakfast was okay and it was nice to go get coffee in the morning so close to the room, but a delicious breakfast was included with club and non-club rooms in the main dining room that put the club floor breakfast to shame. The tea and cookies were completely unremarkable and the happy hour was a cattle call and not worth it. Go to the grocery store and buy some cocktails for the room. Don't waste the $100 extra each night. I also have issue with the mandatory $30/day valet service that requires you to wait for your car and tip the valet. Add that to the resort fee and everything else and I felt nickeled and dimed.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for six days as part of a company trip with over 90 people. The resort is definitely the best in Wailea and I believe one of the best in Maui.

Location - the location is ideal, because it is close to the main exit out of Wailea and right next door to the Shops at Wailea that has the ABC store and the General Store.

Facilities - Scale is not always bad especially if it comes with good service. The resort is truly a one stop shop with everything you would need to make things comfortable including on-site car rental, many shops, and lots of staff to help you with your needs.

The hotel has prime access to the Wailea beach and the swimming facilities is probably one of the largest in Hawaii. There are I believe 8 water slides, a meandering river where you can just float down, several large pools, and an adults-only section as well.

There are many restaurants there including Alan Wong's Amasia and Humuhumu. I found Humuhumu to be one of my favorite restaurants in Hawaii.

"Hawaii pricing" adjusted, the hotel is reasonable, and they don't overcharge for anything more than what would be available off the property. This includes clothing as well as food.

I was told they will go through a large renovation of the rooms starting in August 2014, and after that I think it will be even better.

If you are not going to go to a Boutique Hotel or a house rental, I strongly recommend that you choose this resort. Don't try to brand shop because I have stayed at other hotels in Wailea and for a smaller scale resort you end up getting the worst of all worlds - inadequate service and cramped facilities (think long breakfast line). The Grand Wailea compensates with its sheer scale and that is what you want especially if you are with an extended family or large group.

Lastly, we are tennis lovers and were able to easily get an introduction to the Wailea Tennis Club and play there virtually every day for a small fee. It's a short walk or a quick drive away (about half a mile away).

Room Tip: Many rooms offer an ocean view. But if you are there for the water activities, the garden level (gr...
1  Thank MillionsRoadWarrior
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our 4th visit to the Grand Wailea! The grounds are like paradise! The Spa Grande is like none other! When my husband and I return we are relaxed and renewed!

My husband and I, 30 years married enjoyed ALL of the pools! We went in the world's only water elevator, sat at the bar in the grotto pool and watched the hockey game, went outrigger canoeing off the beach, used the FREE bike rentals to ride to Kihei and learned to surf!

I left my phone in the car and the valet quickly delivered it to my room! On another occasion, I misplaced my credit card! I was panicking! Yet again, another knock at the door and it had been found and returned!

We don't eat at the restaurants as they are pricey but do spend a lot at the pool bar! Nachos by the pool! yum!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy W
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We go to Maui every two years to our family condo, but decided to change it up a bit by staying at the Grand Wailea for a few nights. The pools and slides are very fun! The grounds are lovely. The fact that you are on vacation and have to be down at the towel/band hut by 7 am to be able to get a chair by the pool is a big bummer. I understand prices in Hawaii are ridiculous, but the price of food at the resort is ridiculous. Two breakfast burritos to go that I took down to the pool to save the seats at 7:00 were about $35. My 9 year old son, however LOVED the pools, the slides, the Tarzan rope, the lazy river and the water elevator so I do see a return visit in the future. We had an ocean view room which was very nice, but not sure I'd spring for that view again since we were at the pool by 7 (when the water slides don't even open till 10!).

3  Thank AlohaGirl022
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!