“Classy Resort”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Lahaina, Hawaii
“Classy Resort”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The grounds and buildings are beautiful. The water slides are the reason we go. One may check in early and use the facilities all day as well as all day past check out time. The rooms are nicely appointed and quiet. There are a couple of things that I wish could be improved upon. First, the valet only parking at $30 per day is exorbitant and a self parking option should be available. Second, there were added charges that we were not made aware of when we booked our room. The resort fee of $25 is understandable and well explained. However, we were charged a portage fee of $30 and we carried our own bags ourselves. A housekeeping gratuity was also added to the bill. We always leave a tip for housekeeping and that should have been explained to us. Enjoy your visit, but ask at check in about all the extra charges that they add.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MOG808

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The Grand Wailea really has it all: Beautiful grounds, spacious rooms, a caring attentive staff, and a sense of "ohana". I have taken my family to Maui more than 30 times and stayed everywhere on the island and the GWR is my favorite!!! Our most recent trip was for 5 days earlier this month and we were there when Hurricane Iselle was scheduled to hit. The hotel was more than prepared for the possible event. They left letters of instruction in the rooms, along with water, emergency glo-sticks, and utilized the message system to keep us in constant touch with the storm's track. For someone traveling with small children, I appreciated the professional way in which they handled what could have been a very disruptive situation. As it turned out, it had zero impact on our vacation and that was due in large part to the staff making all the guests feel like the hotel could handle any contingency that might have arose. Ok, now for the actual trip review: We decided to get two rooms this trip, so my kids were able to have their own space. It really was worth every penny to do this. You go on vacation to relax and stretch out, so the idea of the four of us being in one room and on top of each other was not appealing. The rooms were spacious, have huge bathrooms, fantastic water pressue in the showers, and they provide all the little things you like to find in a well appointed bathroom like hairdryers, q-tips, and cotton balls. Housekeeping was really good and we never came back to find our room un-made, which is amazing when you think about the sheer size of the hotel. We had rooms on the 8th floor just next to the Napua tower. We paid extra for access to the Napua Club, our second really good decison of the trip. The Napua Club serves a hot breakfast each morning along with fresh fruit, juices, toast, bagels, pastries, cereals, and numerous other items. In the afternoon, they put out a number of flavored iced teas and cookies that destroyed my waistline, but I was able to rationalize that I was on vacation and I should indulge.... In the evening, they have enough in the way of appetizers that dinner can quickly become "optional" if you like what is on offer. Unfortunately I never had the will power to skip dinner and found myself at the hotels signature restaurant, Humuhumunukunukuapua’a even after grazing at the Napua Club, which I will be working off in the gym between now and the holidays!!! If you stay at the GWR, you have to go to Humu's at least once. It is some of the best fish anywhere in the world. We went twice in five nights. Zenith, who tends bar most nights in the Napua Club is among the best hotel staff members I have ever encountered in my more than 30 years of travel. She always has a smile on her face, will make you just about anything you could want to drink (all of which is included in the access), and always makes you feel like you are the most important guest in the hotel. One other great thing about the Napua Club food offerings is that in addition to Crab Cakes, Coconut Shrip, and Beef Skewers they put out a number of options that are kid favorites including Macaroni and Cheese, Sliders, and Pizza. In fact, I saw more adults hitting the kids station than kids. The quality of all the food and alcohol was excellent and abundant. If you have kids, the GWR pool is is as good as anywhere in the world. The pool staff is great about helping you secure chairs and do an excellent job of making sure the people who are in the pool are supposed to be there. The GWR pool is so superior to everything else on the island that it is a frequent target of pool crashers, which is not something you want to share with others when you have paid to be there. When you tire of the pool, you can walk down to the best beach in Maui which fronts the hotel. It is an all sand beach, and they offer complimentary chairs and umbrellas, which is a nice touch as well. The other fantastic attraction for kids is Camp Grande, which is a section of the hotel that has activities and games for kids as well as teenagers. If you visit with your kids, it is complimentary. If you want to leave them, there is a small fee. They have the latest in video games, pool tables, ping pong, movies, shave ice, games, and a staff that genuinely loves interacting with the kids. My two boys were the last two kids out each night when they closed at 10pm. I am not an independently-weathly person, but I will certainly pay for value, and I have always found the Grand Wailea to be a great value. My time with my family is priceless and fleeting, the Grand Wailea has provided me memories that will last a lifetime. I have stayed 5 times now and have never been disappointed. I hope I am only lucky enough to be able to return again someday.

Room Tip: Request Napua Tower. It is worth every penny and helps alieviate having to decide what to do for b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Luxtraveler67
Newnan, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had a wonderful time, staff was perfect. Hotel was in excellent condition. The adult only pool was a saltwater pool and was well kept. What was really nice was a trail that lead you between different fruit trees. From cherries to coca trees, and even some star fruit trees. Just a wonderful lush environment. The beach was perfect and well groomed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We love the Grand Wailea and usually visit twice a year, since Hawaii is such an easy jump from Los Angeles. We also have flexible schedules which allow us to go during non-peak weeks, such as the week after Thanksgiving when the occupancy is lower. Still, even during the couple of times we went during peak we still have always had a great time and experience.

First off, you should realize this is a "luxury resort" in Wailea on Maui, where everything is expensive at all the good hotels. If you are looking for the cheapest place, best value, or don't want to pay $18 for a cocktail, simply do not stay here. Either stay up in Lahaina / Kaanapali or go by the grocery store or stop at Costco on the way in and buy the drinks / mixes to make your own drinks.

The beach is fantastic, perhaps the best on Maui and the change they made a few years back to include free loungers and umbrellas was a welcome addition to the amenities you get at the resort. Also, the beach club where you can pay a single rate and take out the kayaks and paddle-boards any time you want was a great added value vs. paying as you go. Turtles galore out in the water and back in May, there was a group of Manta Rays about 200 yards from shore that you could see each morning.

Here are the things that we find are fantastic and how we make it a great stay each time:
- Stay in the Napua Club; free breakfast, free happy hour and appetizers, great rooms, and an awesome staff where Ken, Andrea, and others take great care of you. The only downside is that the views are not as great as the deluxe ocean view rooms.
- Eat at Alan Wong's Amasia -- even if only for dessert -- the shaved pineapple and lilikoi malasadas are fantastic.
- If you need something, ask for it. Example: one of the resort drivers drove to a nearby general store to get a snack my wife was craving and brought it out to the beach where we were lounging. Great service.
- If you do come frequently, join the Wailea Elite Members program -- the fees you pay are definitely worth it for the benefits and discounts you get.

My biggest complaints about the resort?
- The valet service is consistently slow. Like many of the others have commented -- it seems to take forever regardless of the time of day and calling in advance does not seem to help. We have been late to a dinner reservation more than once because of them. If I could change one thing about the resort, this would be it. I am ok if you require valet parking at your resort, but you have to have awesomely fast service. Either fix the service or allow self-parking. Including two bottle of water is a really nice touch, but does not make up for bad service.
- Entitled guests. You will run into them, you know those that complain constantly about everything, are never happy, and treat the staff poorly and wonder why they do not get great service. Be kind to the staff, treat them with respect and they will take great care of you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hotcalsun
Scottsdale, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Even though Maui has many luxurious resorts, you should select the Grand Wailea for your stay. The grounds are so lush as to almost defy belief. The ocean view rooms are comfortable and very well designed and appointed and the food quality for a large operation was surprisingly consistent and very good. I have worked out at gyms in many of the finer hotels in the world and the Grand Wailea's was as well equipped as any I have even seen. The resort is not cheap, but I will gladly pay for quality and quality is what you get at the Grand Wailea.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Randy N
newport beach
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is my 5th trip to the Grand Wailea. Unfortunately this last trip has been a major disappointment. The pool area is nice until you take a closer look. Trash everywhere. Cups and beer bottles in the bushes. I don't know if this says something about the hotel or maybe in the clientele that would throw a beer bottle into a bush. Bathroom by the pool area is horrendous. The wifi is so SLOW! Just think of slow dial up and make it about 100 times slower and that's your internet connection speed. If you're gonna charge a resort fee at least provide a decent service. The good things....The valet guys and gals are awesome...super friendly. The buffet has taken a major downturn over the years. The options are few. I remember 5-6 years ago and there was so much to choose from. Unfortunately I think this is my last time at the Grand Wailea. I just don't understand why they can't get their act together.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank southerncal123
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We chose to stay at the grand wailea mainly because of the awesome pool. We have three children and keeping them happy and entertained is central to the enjoyment of our vacations! The pool was indeed awesome, but my kids aged 9 and two 7 year olds quickly (2 days) got bored of the pool. There was a shark attack a beach or two down, so ocean swimming was out for two days. This, of course, is not the fault of the resort.

The rooms were beautiful and clean. I loved the soaps and lotions that were replenished on a daily basis. We were assigned a garden view room which looked out at the gazebo and toward the ocean.

The koi were fascinating to the kids. You can get free koi food to feed the fish with at the front desk or at the kids club ( even if your kids aren't staying there).

We went to the luau on Thanksgiving day. We paid extra for the preferred seating. Preferred seating only guarantees you seating in the first two rows of tables. We were told if we wanted good seats to send someone early (4pm I think) to stand in line to get a table assignment. My husband, pineapple full of island drink in hand, stood in line and got us seats right front and center. It probably wasn't the most traditional luau, but was great none-the-less. The food was fine, not fantastic.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Pppmomof3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!