“The Grand Disappointment!”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Boulder, Colorado
“The Grand Disappointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Our family has visited Wailea for years and we decided to book a room at the Grand Wailea for one night to enjoy their pools. Well, what a disappointment! We checked in a 4 pm and the special pools close at 5 pm, not sure why. The water in pools was "disgusting" to quote my 8 year old, closed early or not, she didn't want to go in them. The beds were atrocious, the springs poked our back all night. When I complained, I was told the management knew about it and that they were in the process of changing all mattresses. I suppose they could have done so months ago, at $600 a night, I would have expected more comfort. Breakfast buffet was average, not even close to the buffet we are used to at the Fairmont Kea Lani. We left mid morning and won't go back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank LTB2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

This was our second trip to the GW. The convenience of having a great beach and the amazing pools with all the water slides is second to none. The rooms are clean and do include a small refrigerator, which again is great when you have kids. The best kept secret at the GW is their happy hour in the lobby bar. My husband and I each got a beer and it was $7.00 total! Other than that the food and drink are very expensive. We ate dinner one night at the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa on our first stay at GW, and opted not to go back this stay as it was pricey and not very good. I'd have to say all the meals we had a the GW were just that, pricey and not great! My other gripe this visit, was that there was no printed list of the happenings at the hotel. We probably would have done more, had we known sooner about some of the activities.if we go back we might look into the villas. They cost a bit more, with 5 of us we need two rooms, but being able to fix breakfast and lunch in the room might save enough to make it worth it! If you are looking for a quick bite to eat the shops at wailea have a little store with fresh made sandwiches, drinks, and snacks. I think our sandwich was $7.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tipseetraveler
GWExecutiveOffice, Public Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Aloha Tipseetraveler,

Mahalo for your reviewing and staying with us during your family vacation! We are glad you enjoyed the pools, slides and beaches during your stay. Ho'olei at Grand Wailea, our luxury villas, are a great option for families -- with 3 bedrooms, views of the ocean, a kitchen and a personal elevator in each villa, many families that return appreciate the comfort of being able to stay in one home together while still enjoying the amenities at Grand Wailea. We appreciate your feedback on the food and prices. We are currently working on revamped menus and pricing that we hope will bring you back to try our restaurants again.

Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed at the Grand Wailea in July with wife and two kids (age 9 and 11). Reserved a room in the Napua Tower using AAA. The rate was certainly no bargain, but considering we received an ocean front view and free morning and evening food (plus drinks), the Napua room was well worth the nominal additional cost. The rooms are large but a little outdated given the price point. The bathrooms are very large and super nice. The rooms and halls are showing some wear, but the public areas seem very clean and well maintained. The pool and beach make the whole resort worth the minuses you encounter or observe. The beach is perfect! Kids never complained - too busy having fun.

Room Tip: Reserve Napua Tower if you have a family. Drinks alone cover the cost.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Aloha Lord of Canterbury,

Mahalo for your review and staying with us in the NaPua Tower during your family vacation! NaPua Tower is our concierge level, and we're glad to hear you found value in the meals. We appreciate the feedback on the rooms -- we'll be refreshing all of our rooms based on feedback like yours, and we hope to have the chance to invite you back once we're completed so you can see them firsthand.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

The resort is pure opulence and class. The only thing missing is a crystal ball in your room, which I've suggested to the hotel staff.

As the only middle class person at the hotel, I felt a little out of place at times. I didn't have the requisite top hat, monocle or pocket watch to stay here. A few times, I was mistaken for a servant and hit with gold coins. "You there boy. Fetch me the largest turkey money can buy..."

The hotel is beautiful. The spa is world-class and the grounds are beautiful. There are also three great restaurants to choose from.

As a side caveat for all Maui vacationers, don't stay in west Maui. We actually left the Hyatt in west Maui to come here; the noise is unbearable.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Brian D
Aloha Brian D,

Mahalo for your review and making us laugh -- we sure hope that no turkeys had to be fetched, but would be amazed if you found one (roosters may be a bit easier to find on Maui). I'm sure on your next visit, a crystal ball can certainly be found for your room as well. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation and Wailea, it's a beautiful and quiet area.

We're excited to welcome you back and read your future reviews!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Greetings - my newlywed wife (both 27 years of age) and I just returned from our six-night honeymoon stay at Grand Wailea and what can I say other than WOW. The property is absolutely beautiful and conveniently located from the airport, just a short jaunt south and you arrive at the door. Our accommodations for the week were incredibly comfortable (such comfy beds, pillows) and the pool/ocean view in the lagoon wing along with a cooling breeze made our room just so pleasant for the honeymoon. The restaurants on property are all very good - the best and most memorable place to watch a sunset is Humuhumu... Alan Wong's Amasia also has terrific food, service and experience. I have traveled (and eaten!) around the country for work and can confidently the dining did not disappoint in any fashion with comparable experiences. The weather cooperated during our stay, we had a marvelous time relaxing by the pool, paddle boarding off the beach in the ocean and making some time for touristy stuff like the Road to Hana and the summit sunrise. The staff is knowledgeable and pleasant - the valet guys always ask if you need directions and know a lot about the area - and literally any bartender you inquire with can help provide a local tip or two. My wife has Celiac disease and the hotel was very accommodating to her food allergies. We happened upon the 808 Deli just up the road which was a home run at lunchtime and the Safeway grocery is just a few minutes away, as well, if you want a few snacks away from the resort to keep around the room.

Last but not least, we spent one day treating ourselves in the Spa Grande and it is unquestionably the best, most relaxing spa experience I've ever had in my life. We live in the San Diego area and have been to La Costa and other top-shelf spas and the Spa Grande is world-class, top-to-bottom. The service combined with their experience staff made for an absolutely perfect time for my wife and I. We got the "Romantic Interlude" and although the experience comes with a price, it was worth every penny.

I simply cannot imagine a better way to have spent our honeymoon and there isn't another spot on the island I would have traded for the Grand Wailea during such a special stay!

Room Tip: Lagoon wing was beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charlie K
Aloha Charlie K,

Congratulations on your wedding and mahalo for spending your honeymoon with us on Maui! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and experienced everything Maui has to offer, including the sunrise at Haleakala, paddle boarding, and the Road to Hana. Our team members love providing tips and insight as we often venture off to explore Maui, so we're excited to hear that you took some tips from them!

Mahalo and congratulations!
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Everything about this property is beautiful. The staff was very friendly, the pool and grounds were lovely and the room was also very comfortable. It was hard to find a lounge chair by the pool, that would probably be my only complaint. The yoga on the beach was a great experience and the gym was also very nice. It is expensive, but I believe that you get what you pay for. I would return without a doubt.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank love2travel777
Aloha love2travel777,

Mahalo for the kind review and staying with us during your business trip to Maui! Yoga on the beach is one of our favorite activities and a great way to start the day, so we're glad you experienced it.The pool is certainly busy, but our pool concierge team is always available to assist and can help in locating an available lounge chair on your next visit.

We look forward to seeing you again!
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Grand Wailea is not an inclusive resort, do not buy into the hype, every little thing at Grand Wailea costs extra. The room was $600 and was no nicer than hotels where we have paid under $200 a night.
The restaurants, don't bother. A lot of build up for very common expensive dining.
Grand Wailea Does Not Care About Waking Up Guests At 8:AM with big events on the lawn outside your room, live band, church choir...I am not paying my money to say someplace that sets my sleeping hours by rudely waking me up this way. I pay my money to stay on MY schedule thank you.
We found Wailea very overpriced for a visual feast and not a lot more than that. Maui in and of it'self is a visual feast so why pay for what humans have done with nature when nature provides for free.
The only REAL VALUE at Grand Wailea is the photography class but ONLY if you get into the class taught by Michael Parkes. I learned more in that 5 hour class than a whole semester in other classes.

Room Tip: choose another hotel unless you are into paying for far more than you will get.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hope B
Aloha Hope,

Mahalo for choosing Grand Wailea for your Maui vacation. We're glad to hear that you found value in the photography class with Michael. We apologize for the events that awoke you as well as any communication that misled you to believe we were an inclusive resort. We did have a large group in town during your stay that had reserved the chapel lawns for concerts and choirs. We don't want anyone's vacation to be interrupted or ruined because of any events, however, and our Front Desk team will make every possible accommodation request to move you to a similar room in a different wing if they are made aware of any issues.

Rachel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!