“For the price, I would stay elsewhere”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Chicago
“For the price, I would stay elsewhere”
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We went to Maui on an incentive trip at the GW. The rooms are very nice and the service from house keeping outstanding.
Views from various places in the hotel are very dramatic.
On the neg side, high cost of extras like cabanas, umbrellas, drinks,etc.
Some highlights-
Dinners at Ferrara's and Spago next door at the four seasons
The walking path along the beach
The Art Galleries at the Shops at Wailiea
For the money, I would choose the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank scottjh
GrandWailea96753, Director, Public Relations & Marketing Communications at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2009
On behalf of Grand Wailea, I would like to thank Scottjh for recognizing Grand Wailea’s “very nice” accommodations, the “outstanding service” our staff provides and the “dramatic views” our resort features. Regarding his comment about the cost of umbrellas, I would like to clarify that beach umbrellas are free to Grand Wailea registered guests. Our beach and pool staff is available to set up beach chair and umbrellas for our guests, at no charge. Also, I am confident in stating that cocktail prices at Grand Wailea are comparable, and sometime lower, than our neighbor hotels. Grand Wailea also offers the largest resort art collection in Hawaii. A complimentary art tour is available on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 a.m.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
schaumburg, il
Reviewed 15 June 2009

The Grand Wailea is like no other. Once you go, nothing will compare. We were welcomed with smiling faces and helpful associates for checkin. The art, views and gardens are so beautiful and captivate you as if you were walking through the botanical gardens. We actually got married at The Grand Wailea. I can honestly say, after setting up/designing over 200 weddings, I have never seen a ceremony so beautiful and so sentimental then ours at The Grand Wailea. And I have seen it all with working in industry for over four years. The best part is, we can always revisit the resort and the spot on the beach where we married and have the best memories. the food is exceptional. The drinks, deserts, everything. My husband loved the pastries at Kula Cafe where we got breakfast every morning. I can not even explain into words what a amazing stay we had. I felt like a goddess being spoiled and pampered and the help making you feel that they care and want to help with anything. The pictures we got are priceless. Just look for yourself. Recommendation- if you are going then do a room upgrade. We loved our view and there is something about waking up each morning to see the sunrise over the ocean that is so priceless you wonder why you ever considered not getting the upgrade.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank rosemary9909
st. louis, missouri
Reviewed 12 June 2009

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Wailea for our honeymoon this past week. Staff personnel were friendly, polite and very helpful in answering questions and communicating potential Maui destinations to visit. Resort room had more than enough living space and overall hotel grounds/accomodations were first class. We strongly suggest this hotel to anyone heading to Maui and plan on staying there again during future trips.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank honeymooner50
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 9 June 2009

The Grand Wailea is a great resort for couples, families, and kids.

My initial impression of the Grand Wailea was that is definitely is grand. The open air lobby made you feel relaxed immediately. The check-in was pretty efficient and friendly.

We ended up with a corner room-- with an extra huge double shower and a huge bathtub. It was definitely a spacious room with a large balcony. Everything was well maintained, housekeeping were fantastic.

The view was spectacular, directly in front of us, we could see Molokini. We even saw a few whales from our balcony in the mornings.

The food was probably just average for resort food. My hubby and I know Maui pretty well, so we often ventured off the hotel for better food.

The spa was grand as well- with the many different types of soaking tubs, jacuzzis, and showers... I was disappointed that they only allowed you to use those amenities an hour prior to your service. And, the spa was slightly disorganized. There was no one to give me a tour of the facilities-- and I was unaware that there was a scrub included in the service- in which you had to tip the attendant separately.

Although it was just my husband and I, the most memorable part of the hotel for the both of us were the amazing pools, slides, and water features... I think kids and those that are just kids at heart would love their pools & slides.

I love that the Wailea beach is so easily accessible from the hotel-- and it was really easy to grab a chair to just sit and read peacefully at the beach.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelbug_lover
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at Grand Wailea for our week-long vacation in Maui. We both work in the industry, and have high expectations. Grad Wailea blew us away! It was by far the best hotel on the island. The open-air lobby, friendly staff, and amazing views from the room, along with the most fun pool (all the pools are connected by water slides) and beach made our stay extremely memorable and fun.

It's about 30 mintes from the airport - if you are renting a car, we STRONGLY recommend bringing a GPS to get around - it was incredibly useful to us.

The room was spacious (we had a suite on the eighth floor) with three balconies. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom amenities - Honey Mango - are the best we've had!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RSC518
Beverly Hills
Reviewed 6 June 2009

The Grand Wailea is now a Hilton Property. This amazing resort is one of the most beautiful in the world. The art collection in the hotel is probably the greatest of any hotel. Huge Botero sculptures fill the lobby area. Their beach is one of the most beautiful on the islands. And they have winding pools with waterslides, swim up bar, rope swing, and a multi million dollar water elevator. The rooms have just been completely refurbished. The hotel is next to the Four Seasons. They share the beach, but you won't find this beauty and art over there.

It really is heaven on earth.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sdworman
Roseville, California
Reviewed 5 June 2009

My wife and I had never stayed in Wailea, so we had some difficulty selecting a hotel to stay at - we ended up choosing the Grand Wailea and we were not disappointed! This resort is amazing! Yes, it's large, but once you get to know your way around it's actually very walk-able. I suggest getting a room on the south side - it's close to the self-parking, restaurants and pool area. Some people say they nickel and dime you, but like most resorts, everything costs – nothing out of the ordinary here.

The grounds of the resort are unmatched by any other hotel in Maui that we have been to. The Seaside Church is adorable, the pools, slides, and water elevator are very fun, and the entire place is just beautiful. We spent a lot of time in the pools - so much fun!

Henry the bellman was great! He took us to our room and when we didn’t like it (it was on the first floor) he called the front desk and got us an amazing upgrade! Thank you Henry!

Eating at their signature restaurant, Humuhumunukunukuapua'a, was an experience to remember. All of their tables have great views, it's surrounded by a large salt water lagoon (with tropical fish) and the food and service are impeccable. Tell them about your special occasion and the front desk will throw in a free bottle of bubbly!

We highly recommend staying here and we will defiantly be back on our next Maui trip!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mnerius
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!