“Paradise at the Grand Wailea!”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Chicago, IL
“Paradise at the Grand Wailea!”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

My wife and I went to Maui and stayed at the Grand Wailea for our honeymoon. We loved the resort and all that it has to offer. The staff was extremely attentive and made this mega resort feel a little more intimate to us. We had a beautiful deluxe ocean view room and were very happy with it. The rooms are upgraded, quite large, comfortable and have large bathrooms. The view was incredible so I would recommend you request an upper floor room. The hotel has everything to offer and can be a bit overwelming. We had read that there were a lot of families with kids stayed at the hotel and being our honeymoon we were alittle worried but everything was just fine. The hotel has two pools - the main one is really large and nice but at the time we were there it was full of kids. The second pool is the adult pool and this is where we spent most of our time. It was pretty quite and full of couples. The waitservice around the pool was great as well so there was no shortage of food and drinks. (The pizza is awesome.) The hotel is beautiful and in a great location. The shops at Wailea are within walking distance for some shopping. There are a few resorts next door for additional dinning but I would recommend renting a jeep (the hotel has free parking) so that you can try some of the great restaurants in Lahaina (although humum at the resort is good.). Also, a must at the hotel is the spa - it's great and an experience!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mck9982

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Long Beach Island NJ
Reviewed 9 July 2009

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Grand Wailea, and I will list the very good, the bad ( not much) and everything in between. From the moment you walk in, the hotel itself will blow you away with how breathtaking it is. We visited the Four Seasons, and the white hotel next door to the Four Seasons ( cant think of the name ) , and trust me, although the Four Seasons is nothing to sneeze at, its not nearly as dramatic, and open and large as the Grand W. Remember the movie phrase, " You had me at hello"? That's kind of how you feel when you walk through the large lobby of the GW. Regarding our room , we had an ocean view room on the 8th floor, which was ready for us, with a warm bath, with flowers floating on top.. A nice honeymoon touch that we didn't expect - On a one to ten rating regarding the room being perfectly clean, I would give it an 8. A large hand print over the headboard that you could see in certain day light knocked down the rating. The bed was comfy, had a flat screen TV, and the bathroom was large with a tub and shower. The balcony was pretty big too which had a large table , two chairs and enough room where you can stow your suitcases. The pool situation at the GW is crazy -insane- nice. ( And probably 3 times larger than the FS hotel. They have an adult pool and a kiddie area with water slides. The overall grounds at the GW are very well maintained. Spend the time yourself and look online at the pictures so you make an informed decision. You'll see what I mean.
The gym at the GW is two levels overall and rates pretty highly among hotels. I generally stay at 4 star hotels and this is one of the best I have come across. They have very top notch new equipment with a decent amount of free weights too. Don't be surprised to run into a few celebrities. We did. They offer yoga classes on the beach, boot camp, spin you name it. The SPA itself is huge and my wife and I did a couples massage. Personally I'm not that big of a spa person but it's as nice as I've seen, and of course the price tag comes along with that. They have like 5 different types of bath tubs to soak in Japanese style, hot tubs, 2 steam rooms, and like most places every treatment you can possibly imagine. Heads up look for a pretty decent discount coupon on your inboard flight magazine. Unfortunately we found it on the way home. A few things that I thought could be better. The restaurants closed mostly at 9pm. The main bar closed at 11ish. Overall if this place had any downside, the dining experiences we enjoyed the most were located off property. The best the GW has to offer is the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. I wouldn't say any of their restaurants are terrible but for the money certainly not stellar. The place to be dining wise, is outside under that stars at Ferrars( Four Seasons), Tommy Bahamas, two minutes away at the shops at GW and of course an old favorite Ruth Chris. All not cheap but all very very good. We didn't get to try Spago's but heard great things there too. For the area that the GW is situated, being young and wanting to party a bit, the downfall is pretty much the entire town closes early. Certainly the bars at the GW do. Mulligan's a bar around 3 miles away located at a golf course ( go figure ) is open the latest and seems to have a local theme. We also suggest hitting the local Kmart or Walmart, twenty minute drive and loading up on a cheap cooler and beer and some snacks. This will save some money because the drinks are $$$$$. Other misc. info. Room service food is consistent with what I said about the restaurants. Make sure to put the do not disturb sign on your door. They are very consistent on knocking on your door to clean your room. Wi-Fi is not available in your hotel room but it's free in the lobby and the Napua towers lobby. This could certainly be improved. It is 2009? The beach is large and nice, and chairs and umbrella's are free. Also they don't allow you to swim in the hot tub or pool very late. Security guards get notified by cameras if you try. We did several times. So like anything else in Maui, this place is very expensive, very romantic, and my opinion VERY worth it if you can afford it. OOPS I almost forget. The staff that we came across were great. Hope this helps someone.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank in2flying
Orange County
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My husband and I recently had our wedding at the Grand Wailea. The wedding itself, was spectacular, good job Wailea! However, we were there for two weeks and aside from our wedding day, we were underwhelmed, in particular, with the service. We had so many logistical problems and the hotel was not quick to resolve them. Upon check-out, for the first time in my life, and I've traveled all over the world, we had the manager of the hotel, roll her eyes at us and stomp out because we brought a hotel problem to her attention! Could you imagine the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton ever doing such a thing? As beautiful as the hotel was, we were very disappointed with the service, the employee attitudes and the lack of wanting to make our experience better. We put in a call to the General Manager, and after spending thousands of dollars at the Grand Wailea on our event, we never even got an return phone call, let alone an apology. Our conclusion...next time we're staying at the Four Seasons!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank M2Maui4
san clemente, ca
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The purpose of our trip was to attend our best friend’s wedding. We arrived eagerly at the Grand Wailea after a long flight from CA and after hearing such great things about the hotel, we couldn't wait to get there. Upon our arrival, my immediate impression was that it looked really outdated, peach/pink accents that reminded me of the late 80's/early 90's. We waited in line to check in and the staff at the front desk were quite rude. The hotel was only about 50% occupied. It was 4:00pm by the time we checked in however our room wasn't ready, so we were put in another room supposedly with a better view. The hotel is quite large and there are several elevators that take you only to the pool/spa area and others that take you only to your room. We were not given any direction as to where are room was located and how to get there. We got lost and walked around for quite some time before we found it - it felt like we were at the embassy suites to be honest. Once we arrived at our room, immediately I could smell mold. The room was small, dark and the bathroom didn’t have a single place to put your toiletries not even a drawer or a cabinet. We were starving and asked where the restaurant was located, we were told to go down to the second floor, but not told that there restaurants were not open yet, this information would have been very helpful. Once we figured that out after walking forever to find that it was closed, we asked a staff member where we could get some food. We were directed to one of the pool bars. we found it, sat down, ordered and then were told that it was closing in 10 minutes!!! it was 4:50pm! By this time I was getting a little annoyed and asked to speak with a manager. She was nice and upgraded us to a nicer room located in the napui tower (this is where you want to stay). This was part of the remodeled section others are referring to. The room was bigger, brighter and nicer. the bathroom was bigger as well. The complimentary breakfast buffet was quite nice. They also serve complimentary drinks at 5pm, which was nice, but the drinks are very mediocre, albeit free. If they would not have upgraded us to the napui tower, I would have been out of there!!!
We stayed 4 nights. the level of service at the hotel is laughable although not funny when you are paying $500 bucks per night. We ate at the restaurant humuhumu (shortened) 2 times. The first time was part of a wedding reception we attended, the food was quite good. The second time we at there we were initially told that we (my husband and I) couldn't get a table, I insisted that we get one. They called back and said they could squeeze us in. Once we got there, there was hardly anyone there!! not even 50% full. ridiculous. Everything was a hassle at this hotel! We had dinner at the Four Seasons down the road at Spago. It was quite a contrast in terms of service, we were treated as guests although we only at dinner there. If I had to do it again, I would stay at the Four Seasons. It was packed with a lot of energy unlike the Grand Wailea, which was like a ghost town. One of the bartenders at the Grand Wailea said that because occupancy has been low, they have been closing down the pool bar early and opening the restaurants later. The only employee of the hotel who was polite was the Manager we spoke with.
On the upside, the pools alone were amazing especially the kids pool - there is nothing like it that I have seen before. WE have 2 young kids (under 5) and they would have loved the pool - but were not traveling with us for this trip. They also had a nice pool for adults only which was nice. The service at the pool....TERRIBLE!!!! Good luck finding a drink or something to eat! Even after renting out cabanas the service was STILL bad. the chapel is quite lovely and a great place to take pictures. the humu humu restaurant is really nice and tranquil if you can get a reservation.....Our friends very small wedding was quite beautiful. The outside grounds of the hotel are really quite beautiful.

It's very sad to see a hotel that has an amazing potential and such a great history, go downhill so quickly. It desperately needs an upgrade and they need a big time service overhaul as well, otherwise, they should not be positioning and pricing themselves as a 5 star hotel. My recommendation – go stay at the Four Seasons next door and make a reservation to eat at Humu Humu at the Grand Wailea during your stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sdchargersgirl
Chicago
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We went to Maui on an incentive trip at the GW. The rooms are very nice and the service from house keeping outstanding.
Views from various places in the hotel are very dramatic.
On the neg side, high cost of extras like cabanas, umbrellas, drinks,etc.
Some highlights-
Dinners at Ferrara's and Spago next door at the four seasons
The walking path along the beach
The Art Galleries at the Shops at Wailiea
For the money, I would choose the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank scottjh
GrandWailea96753, Director, Public Relations & Marketing Communications at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2009
On behalf of Grand Wailea, I would like to thank Scottjh for recognizing Grand Wailea’s “very nice” accommodations, the “outstanding service” our staff provides and the “dramatic views” our resort features. Regarding his comment about the cost of umbrellas, I would like to clarify that beach umbrellas are free to Grand Wailea registered guests. Our beach and pool staff is available to set up beach chair and umbrellas for our guests, at no charge. Also, I am confident in stating that cocktail prices at Grand Wailea are comparable, and sometime lower, than our neighbor hotels. Grand Wailea also offers the largest resort art collection in Hawaii. A complimentary art tour is available on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 a.m.
schaumburg, il
Reviewed 15 June 2009

The Grand Wailea is like no other. Once you go, nothing will compare. We were welcomed with smiling faces and helpful associates for checkin. The art, views and gardens are so beautiful and captivate you as if you were walking through the botanical gardens. We actually got married at The Grand Wailea. I can honestly say, after setting up/designing over 200 weddings, I have never seen a ceremony so beautiful and so sentimental then ours at The Grand Wailea. And I have seen it all with working in industry for over four years. The best part is, we can always revisit the resort and the spot on the beach where we married and have the best memories. the food is exceptional. The drinks, deserts, everything. My husband loved the pastries at Kula Cafe where we got breakfast every morning. I can not even explain into words what a amazing stay we had. I felt like a goddess being spoiled and pampered and the help making you feel that they care and want to help with anything. The pictures we got are priceless. Just look for yourself. Recommendation- if you are going then do a room upgrade. We loved our view and there is something about waking up each morning to see the sunrise over the ocean that is so priceless you wonder why you ever considered not getting the upgrade.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank rosemary9909
st. louis, missouri
Reviewed 12 June 2009

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Wailea for our honeymoon this past week. Staff personnel were friendly, polite and very helpful in answering questions and communicating potential Maui destinations to visit. Resort room had more than enough living space and overall hotel grounds/accomodations were first class. We strongly suggest this hotel to anyone heading to Maui and plan on staying there again during future trips.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank honeymooner50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!