“Great disappointment Grand Slam”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great disappointment Grand Slam”
Reviewed 21 June 2006

Grand Slam. Well my family 2 adults and 2 children ages 8 and 10 yrs stayed at the GW for eight days in the delux ocean view room. $510 per night. Check in went well we arrived early and the clerk offered a hospitality suite. Great idea! We ate at the Bistro and food was good but price was high. Once in the room we noticed a great amount of mold around the bathtub and on the grout in the shower. The room size was typical however the view was awesome. Thru our 8 day stay we noticed that the hallway carpet was not vacuumed same debris all week. In addition, room service items glasses, glass ice buckets etc were not picked up for several days. The room 8122 was next to a suite and I have to say it was quiet all nights. A for the pool, great concern for lack of pool personnel to keep area free of garbage and towels left on chairs. Since there was a huge inf lux of people by the pools it was difficult at times to find seating, especially in shade. The pools and theme is the best I have seen for a resort, however, I have to say, I was quite disappointed the type of guest and lack of social ettiquite. At times I felt as though I was at a beer drinkin redneck hillbilly barnyard event. At $510/night I expected a higher social class. The staff failed to demonstrate addressing the over abundance of screaming, running, and rudeness of out of control teenagers. The Wailea beach was perfect and it was a great escape from the waterpark atmosphere. Again it was a disappointment with the lack of cleanliness in the hallways and pool area for the money we were paying. Upon checkout we requested a late departure however, we were told that a VIP was coming into the suite next to our room and our room was part of their party. So as a result, we were unable to get the 4pm checkout. We left our baggage with bellmen and they put our belonings into storage. At the end of the day we were offered a hospiltality suite with a 30 to 45 min usage time. That is good but we really felt rushed into leaving the hotel. I paid my $3500.00 balance in cash and felt as though we are VIP'S too. The staff was not the best in customer service like expected for the money and resort of that stature. M.A. Cave Creek AZ. P.S We are not snivelers by nature, just expected more vlaue and service for paying top price.l

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2006

Resort:
The Mrs. and I arrived at the GW on May 24th around 3:00 and were greeting by the staff out front, all of whom were very polite.

The staff at the front desk got us to our room immediately and our bags were delivered within 10 minutes.

There were no problems with the room and we were pleasantly surprised with how nice all of the fixtures and amenities were in the room (especially after reading a few reviews on TripAdvisor). The Mrs. was VERY pleased with how nice and spacious the bathroom area was.

We immediately put on our walking shoes and headed down to the beach and to acclimate ourselves with the property (we only got lost a couple of times trying to find our way to the beach/pools – yes, the resort is that big). It did provide us with the opportunity to check out most of the grounds which were simply amazing.

There were absolutely no problems with our room. My only complaint would be that the TV did not face the bed and even at maximum rotation the person on the short side of the bed could only see ½ the tube. Then again, we didn’t go all the way to Hawaii to watch TV, did we?

I guess part of me can see where people on here could have complaints about the staff at the GW, but here is my $0.02. The staff was for the most part very accommodating and very friendly. Their only problem seemed to be initiating their respective services. If you asked them for something they would drop everything and tend to your every need. The problem is just that, you had to ask.

If you are used to being waited on hand and foot, you might find the service here not up to par. If you don’t mind asking for something from time to time, you will find the service to be more than accommodating.

People also complained here about the “daily resort charge”. If you know it’s coming, why complain about? Just make sure you take advantage of it. Tap into the high speed internet connection each day and certainly take advantage of the workout facility.

Speaking of the gym on the property, the facility was very nice as well. Each treadmill and elliptical machine has a personal LCD screen with 40 some-odd channels and a personal DVD player. The facility was VERY nice. You already pay for it by simply staying at the resort, why not use it? There were plenty of weight machines and free weights as well.

Pools:
Most of the reviews on here do a good job of hyping up the pools, so I’ll save you the time in this review. The pools were simply amazing. We experienced no problems with chairs or towels. Some of the prime spots were “saved” early on, but there were plenty of chairs available. We also saw the staff on numerous occasions picking up towels and magazines/books off of unoccupied chairs.

We did pay the $50 for a casabella by the beach on our last day there and it was well worth the money. We’ll certainly do that again on our next visit, probably for more than one day.

Food:
If you want a good burger, salad, or something of that sort, make the drive up to the Seawatch Restaurant at the Wailea Emerald/Gold golf clubhouse or head over to Cheeseburgers + Rock & Roll at the Wailea Shops. Both were above average and made a nice close diversion from the restaurants at the resort.

Speaking of which – dinner at Humu’s was very bizarre. How can a restaurant with such great food have such horrible service? As good as the food was is as bad as the service was. Something they certainly need to work on.

Our best meal was up at Mama’s Fish House on the north side of the island, but it’s a bit of a drive from the resort. If you don’t mind the drive, the food was more than worth it. Make sure you call ahead and get reservations.

I guess that’s enough for now. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read.

We’re both looking forward to returning to the GW in the near future.

• Stayed May 2006
34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 June 2006

Firstly we had a real problem choosing a resort on Maui as there seemed to be no obvious choice. Most of the resorts had mixed reviews. Basically the West Coast offers a greater choice of resorts, better restaurants, a lively atmosphere, and more watersports. The South Coast has the more expensive, luxurious resorts, but is closer to the main tours on the island.

Here’s what we made of our stay there:

1. Location: Good location in Wailea which is a pretty although artificial ‘resort community’ right on the ocean with a nice beach, and lovely backdrop of the Halekala volcanoe. 30 mins drive to airport and the main town which you will drive through (many times!) to get to the main areas of interest on the island.

2. First Impressions: Spectacular entrance with waterfall feature – friendly and efficient bell service and before you knew it the car was automatically valet parked (for a fee). We were quickly informed that self parking is ‘a block down the road’ but the hotel don’t want you to do this. Got a lei greeting as walked into hotel – nice touch.

3. Check-in: friendly staff who was surprised our room was available at 2pm. We became aware that they stick to the 3pm check-in time as we saw several guests wandering around the resort with their leis on and some baggage waiting for their room.

4. Room – Very large, spacious, neutral décor which we like (not overly tropical). Comfortable bed (similar standard to Westin’s Heavenly bed). Huge lanai – large enough to seat 4 people to have room service. Massive bathroom with separate shower and bathtub, and good toiletry products. Hard to date the room, as they have kept it fresh and clean, but guess it will be due for a renovation in the next 2 years. Complimentary High speed internet access. Nice view of ocean in the distance, and the resort below. Were on a high floor deluxe ocean view room, of the Wailea wing – the resort has 2 tiers of rooms – the main tower is higher but set back and and overlooks the resort gardens and the lower tower but this does not obstruct the view.

5. Resort and grounds. They have clearly spent a lot of money over the years on the building, gardens, waterfalls etc and the resort has a bright, airy fresh feel about it. Most areas are open to the outside. It is clean well maintained and has numerous gardens, ponds, sculptures, bridges to wonder about, although these do not compare with the grounds at the Hilton (much smaller ‘but more manicured and in your face here’)

6. Pools: This is where the hotel seriously lets itself down. First impressions are – wow: what an amazing complex – more like a water park than a resort hotel. Several interconnected pools, lazy rivers, rapids, slides, water elevator. Even has an ‘adults only pool’. All of these are excellent fun, once you have found a chair!

However, big problem is not enough chairs for the number of guests, and so they have crammed in as many as possible in every area. The pool area is poorly managed as they do not discourage you from leaving towels on vacant chairs, do not come around and remove unoccupied towels which would free up many. They hardly have any towel bins, so we actually had to go looking for 10mins to return our pool towels. As a result by 3pm the pool area is messy looking with used towels everywhere.

One day at 9:30am we spent 20mins wandering up and down the pools looking for a chair (not a relaxing start) (there were loads of empty ones with towels on them!) Eventually found out from the one and only pool attendant at the desk, you could ‘go get yourself excess loungers and take them to the beach or on the lawn area next to the pool complex’. The problem with this is that the chairs were tightly packed in a storage tent, and impossible for an older person to handle. I ended up assisting a couple with their chairs (surely this is what pool attendants should do!) If there are not enough chairs they should set out the ‘excess chairs’. Every day the ‘lawn area’ was covered in pool chairs – this should tell management all they need to know about the pools.

Pool service was virtually non-existent. We were offered one drink during our stay which took 30 mins to arrive and was warm. There are not enough servers working a pool this size and they should simply stop it altogether or improve it.

Overall if you know what to expect of this resort, and what not, do not mind being overcharged for your stay, do not intend to use the pools, or do mind mind searching or getting up very early, then you will love your stay here. By the way we do not mind paying large amounts for a good resort, and this is a good resort but felt that this was way above resorts of a similar quality on Hawaii.

24 Thank PsychDoc99
DALLAS
Reviewed 15 June 2006

After reading some negitive reviews, I was worried about the Grand. However, this place was perfect. Yes, it is expensive, BUT, all the rest of Maui was, too.

The Pools were so much fun and we had to drag our 10 and 12 year olds out of them each afternoon! Even my hubby enjoyed them and felt like a kid again!!

Our room was large and the bathroom was great! It was super big and had a wonderful shower/seperate tub. We paid for a garden view and recieved a free upgrade to ocean view. We could also see the pools from our Lanai.

The beach area was very nice. My hubby said the snorkeling was good near the rocks on the left side of the beach. The kids were able to boogie board "surf" every day.
Plus, the sunset was beautiful each evening.

We dined at several of the resturants and really like HUMU HUMU. The food was good,
the desserts even better. Like I mentioned before, be prepared to pay a high price.
(but it was worth it to us)

We had the most spectacular time and Maui has become are new favorite place!!
Enjoy!!
and ask any questions you might have!

16 Thank 232271
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 6 June 2006

Loved this resort the first time I stayed there two years ago - love it just as much now. We stayed in three other places on two islands before arriving here this time. Felt our childlike wonder return and our body tension dissipate as soon as we walked into the lovely lobby. Received a totally unexpected quadruple upgrade to Napua Tower suite ocean view (from a terrace room booked over six months before). Oh, it was gorgeous. Every staff member we encountered was cheerful and nice. Our dinner at Humuhumunukunukuapua'a was excellent! (Don't miss the lobster bisque!) The beach is lovely - very swimmable. AND the pools...Oh my! I felt like a child again, whooshing down those slides. The swim up bar inside the cave is great - lava flow heaven! We never had trouble finding loungers in the sun or shade. The pool never really felt crowded. What can I say? Except we LOVED it and will return...

15 Thank sunshine3
San Diego
Reviewed 3 June 2006

We've stayed at the Grand Wailea a dozen times, but this was the first time with kids.

What I love most about the Grand Wailiea is the easy access to the beach from the hotel grounds. My nieces, ages 7 and 9, simply decided what they wanted to do first...beach or pool, and we easily went back and forth several times a day. The pool is more of a "water park"... two twisting and turning water slides (the tallest being a bit intimidating for the 7 year old), a water elevator, and a long "river" that goes downhill from pool to pool to pool...complete with a rapid that gives everyone, even adults, a good dunking! The beach is large, and very peaceful even when crowded. The Grand Wailea has started putting up sun umbrellas (extra charge) in addition to the lounge chairs, so we spent more time on the sand this trip. The water is calm in the morning hours and late afternoon. The biggest surf is always mid-day (12-3).

We found it easy to feed the kids for breakfast at the Napua Tower (concierge level), and for lunch at the Lava Bar (by the pool). Service was friendly and accomodating. We are not fans of the GW restaurants. For dinner, we prefer to go next door to the Four Seasons. The food and service is always extraordinary. They have a great children's menu with lots of kid-friendly choices....including numerous side dishes that let them enjoy courses along with the adults.

Since I was spending so much time with the kids in the pool, I noticed that I was getting sunburned on my shoulders and face. I suggest buying a visor or hat that can get wet, and a "rash guard" shirt that you can put on over your swimsuit. They sell the shirts for kids and adults at the pool area. My feet also became sore walking on the bottom of the pool while pushing the kids (for hours) around the river run. Next time I'm bringng some water shoes. Other reviewers commented on the scarcity of lounge chairs and shade. If you LOVE to be outside by the water like me, do yourself a favor and invest in a cabana or casabella. My husband and I inhabit our cabana (at the adult pool/terrace) all day - from after breakfast until we pull ourselves away in the late afternoon. If money is a concern, I suggest you skimp on the hotel room (e.g. no ocean view), and enjoy the cabana (with wait servie) all day.

When we go without the kids, we enjoy the spa, all of the exercise classes, and a daily brisk (or lazy) walk along the entire beach walk fronting all of the hearby hotels. Spa treatments at the Grand Wailea cannot be beat!! The facility is simply the best, and they seem to attract the most talented practitioners in Maui. I also highly recommend the outdoor massage by the adult pool. Sometimes I simply want a massage without all of the water treatments (special baths, sauna, jacuzzi, loofah scrub, etc.) that come with the indoor treatments.

I mentioned at the beginning of my comments that we've been to the GW numerous times. We keep returning despite being disappointed by many of the problems noted by other reviewers. However, we have truly found our niche at the GW after so much practice, and we simply overlook or avoid the things we don't like! I think being happy at any hotel depends on whether or not they do best what you like to do. So, I'll review our favorite things below:

1. Setting. You can stay put at the GW. There is plenty to do at the GW and neighboring properties. You never have to drive anywhere. (If you like to stock up on supplies for the room I suggest stopping at the Safeway grocery store off the main highway on your way to Wailea. Also, the shopping mall next door to the GW - yes, a real mall - has everything you need from toothpaste to designer clothing, handbags and jewelry.) In previous trips to Maui I have done all of the tourist attractions. I recommend biking down the volcano. You can be picked up from your hotel for this attraction.
2. Easy access to the beach from the hotel grounds. You simply walk straight from the resort to the beach. And what a beach! Long and wide...great for taking long walks back and forth, and safe for swimming. I'm not into snorkeling off the beach. I suggest taking a boat trip to somewhere great like Molokini.
3. Cabanas. I love having a private area near the pool and beach where we can leave our stuff all day, enjoy wait service and lunch, read, close the curtains and nap, and have protection from the sun.
4. The spa. We always enjoy a few treatments during our stay, usually after a long day outdoors and before dinner. I've NEVER had a bad massage...just some that were more spectacular than others. Request Miriam and an "outside" treatment room. These are rooms that have windows, allowing you to enjoy the sounds of the fountains and the ocean breeze.
5. Breakfast at the Napua Tower. I do NOT enjoy stuffing myself at breakfast, and I hate waiting in long lines to eat. We have settled into the Napua Tower after discovering how much we benefit from their complimentary breakfast service (from 7 to 10 am). I like their afternoon open-bar and appetizers, however, we usually miss it since we are still outside enjoying the pool or beach.
6. Exercise classes. I think the classes have become less interesting over the years. However, they do have offerings every day and a variety during the week, plus they have a gym with all the necessary equipment. So, no excuse for not getting in a good work-out. If you are brave...try the spin class.
7. Eating next door at the Four Seasons. We especially love Ferraro's and the Pacific Grill. The Grill is more casual, and we go there several times each stay. If you are eating on the cheap, just plan to have dessert and coffee at Ferraro's one night, under the stars, accompanied by guitar and violin. Try to arrange for a table for two overlooking the beach.
8. The pool. Just a kid at heart, I guess, but I get a real kick out of the slides and river run. And, I love seeing all of the other kids-of-all-ages laughing and squealing as they enjoy it as well.

Hope this helps you enjoy your stay at the Grand Wailea. Aloha!

35 Thank FromDeb
Seattle
Reviewed 31 May 2006

This is our second time to the GW in the last year. I must admit I had read many reviews of people complaining about the screaming kids and a Disneyland type atmosphere. We did not notice it as much on our first trip but this time we did. We decided to walk over to the Four Seasons and The Fairmont Hotel. There is NO doubt these places just have a different "vibe" to them. These hotels were more subdued, or perhaps the people seemed to be. The GW caters to family's, company party's, etc etc.

We didn't mind the kids so much but I think people need to know the facts. It is a family resort catering to FAMILIES. We met lots of nice people who were having a blast with their young kids. When we start a family some day I'm sure we'll consider the GW as it is a kids paradise vs some of the other properties we toured.

Regardless we had a good time just be in the know that this is disneyland in Maui.

• Stayed May 2006
20 Thank swamiduck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!