“Best Hotel I've EVER stayed at!!!!”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Seattle, Washington
“Best Hotel I've EVER stayed at!!!!”
Reviewed 24 March 2007

WOW!! How do I begin!! I got married in Maui on May 16th! We stayed here the evening before and night of our wedding. The rest of that week we stayed in a condo because we had our two teenagers with us and we just couldn't afford this place for all 4 of us for an entire week. Those two days were the absolute most incredible, and luxurious days of our entire 3 week stay in Hawaii! Because we were on our honeymoon they upgraded us to the Napu Tower!! OMG!!! I've never stayed in finer accomodations. I have no idea what the cost of that room was, but I know I would never be able to afford it on my own. The night before our wedding we had gone to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina with family (sort of a "rehearsal" dinner.) By the time we got back to South Maui and checked into the Grand Wailea we were exhausted. After we saw our accomodations we were stoked and instantly rejuvenated. We quickly unpacked and went down to the Botero Bar and just took in the lush surroundings. This place has the most incredible feast for your senses! You have to experience it to believe it!! We were like teenagers, so giddy with anticipation and excitement. After several rounds of drinks and a walk through the grounds we finally went back to our room. The most incredible bed and views I have EVER seen!!! I can't remember a time I slept so well. The next morning we had fabulous room service for breakfast and ate it on our large lanai. I didn't want to leave...it was such an incredible view and such a serene moment! I savored every second!! We finally went downstairs to meet the kids and spend some time at the pool. Again....WOW!!! That was definitely the highlight of our trip for me. Call me a kid at heart but I didn't want to leave at 2pm to go get ready for my own wedding! I had waited for that day for 10 years (that's how long we had been together...) and all I wanted to do was stay at the pool, order cocktails & poolside snacks, visit the swim up "grotto" bar, and play on the slides all day! The next day we were able to take advantage of the pool again since we were still hotel guests until we checked out. Which believe me...we all took advantage of until the last second! We all knew we might never be there again so we wanted to soak it up while we could! Regardless of what any other reviews say...The Grand Wailea CANNOT BE BEAT! It was a dream come true for me and I will remember that stay forever! If you're looking for a romantic getaway or a fabulous trip that you can connect with the kids don't hesitate to try the Grand Wailea!! It's expensive yes...but well worth the time it takes to save. I've already told my husband that we have to go back for our 5th year anniversary! Okay...maybe not until our 10th! Whichever it is...I can't wait...and I will be staying longer than 2 nights this time!

• Liked — Hands down the Pools!!
  • Disliked — The Price
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank kares

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 16 March 2007

My husband and I just spent 5 nights at the Grand Wailea with our 4 month daughter. It is a beautiful resort - very high quality - no construction that you read about in the older reviews. Our room was comfortable and large and had a great ocean view, even though we had booked and were paying for a garden view (our price $435). The Grand has a mega pool system with lots of water slides - any kid over 5 yrs would be in heaven. The biggest negative - the Grand charges for umbrellas on the beach ($45 per day), as well as poolside cabanas. This is a bad deal compared to the Four Seasons next door, which has the same room rates but no charge for shade. Thus, we prefer Four Seasons for traveling with an infant. We spent most of our time at the Four Seasons (we were able to do this b/c we knew someone who worked there). We still give the Grand 4 stars b/c it is a great resort other than its lack of concern for the health and safety of its guests regarding sun exposure.

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank New_ParentsOC
west creek NJ
Reviewed 4 March 2007

The third time I have stayed there had a great time.Kids loved it we had two rooms in the Napua tower which I highly recommend Kids could go for breakfast on there own(Napua tower has its own common area where the serve breakfast ) and the food is good,saves a lot of time in the morning.Service is exellent,I should mention that I always tip,And I do not fell that the food was higher than any other high end resort lunch at volcano bar a resturant by the pool was about 120.00 130.00 for six people
Myself and three of my kids did the dive class and ocean dive with the hotel scuba personal and they were great would highly recommend.
They are doing a lot of renovation by the pool but are only doing one section at a time and it really is not that intrusive all the slate is being replaced as some of it is older
Would stay ther more often but its a long flight from the east coast

• Liked — Pool & grounds
6 Thank Timwestcreek
buenos aires
Reviewed 1 March 2007

Great hotel for kids. Stay at Chapel or lagoon wings: they are closer to pool and beach. Food is good and expensive with numerous different choices. Rooms are big but not cozy nor luxurious. You will not be dissapointed but you expect a bit more after the astronomical rates you must pay; at least in february when i went. Best things are: its location: great weather (the northern part of the island is more rainny) and very nice beaches. Also an attractive mall at walking distance with different dining options. But ,in particular the hotel has an outstanding pool with lots of slides and other features and an excellent beach. It is my third time in Maui, the nicest island in Hawaii and I strongly recommend this hotel, if you can afford it.

• Liked — poll area
  • Disliked — price
5 Thank matupatu
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2007

Our family of four (which includes two adults and two children; ages 12 and 14) just returned from an eight-day stay at the Grand Wailea Resort. Although the grounds and pools were beautiful, our room was not. The carpeting was worn out and dirty, the bathroom doors (around the handles inside and out) were paint-chipped and coated with grime and looked like they have never been cleaned (such a simple chore to take care of, too!), the toilet room wallpaper had lots of stains on it, which I hope were not from bodily fluids, and our lanai was a sticky mess from spilled drinks of previous guests. I have included some photos for you to see.

The charge for this five-star deluxe ocean-view room was $790/night, plus taxes. Our ocean view was beautiful, but needless to say, the room was a huge disappointment, especially since we had read so many great reviews about this hotel. I just can’t explain what happened with this particular room, but we were unlucky enough to get it. We have never stayed in a five-star hotel room, which we do exclusively, that looked anything like this. I don’t know if it was just this floor (the 7th floor off the Napua Tower elevators), this wing, or what, but unfortunately the Grand Wailea has (this) some really awful rooms. If you should decide to stay at this hotel, just be aware that at the very least it is a crapshoot, because not all the rooms are five-star in quality or cleanliness. Maybe two or three stars, but not five.

I tried to check out other rooms for comparison, as we walked down the hallway of the 7th floor. I could tell that carpeting in some of the rooms has been replaced, so they have made some changes in carpeting in some of the rooms on the 7th floor. At check in, before we had even seen our room, we asked to be upgraded to a suite, but the woman at the front desk told us the hotel was operating at full capacity and there were no other rooms available. Maybe since they were operating at full capacity they opened up their “mature rooms” to accommodate a greater number of guests. She told us we could be added to a waiting list for a suite, but we declined, as we didn’t want to play musical chairs. I absolutely regret that decision now, although, even getting a suite (or another room) wasn’t guaranteed.

Our room was quiet the whole week until our final night, which was a Saturday night. It was noisy. There were guests, one or two floors down from us, who decided to have a drunken party which spilled out from their room onto their lanai. We could hear streams of foul conversations and foul words I would have liked my children to miss. That went on for about an hour before someone closed the party down.

The staff was mostly pleasant, but I did get a sense that some of the staff are burned out. My worst experience was at Café Kula. The employee’s behavior towards a couple being served in line ahead of me was horrific. The couple had asked a simple question, and as they turned to walk away, the staff member mimicked them in a whiney voice. This staff member was so blatantly rude that I couldn’t believe it.

On the positive side, the food in the restaurants at the Grand Wailea were good. Pricey, but good. We dined in all the restaurants at the hotel, sometimes multiple times. Dinner for our family of four cost about $300 per evening. That included fresh fish and/or tenderloin for the entrée, a salad or side dish, soda pop, and dessert. Our bill didn't include any alcoholic drinks. I heard one woman at the pool complain that alcoholic drinks cost $12. I don’t know if that was true for all drinks, but it was believable, as this hotel (and Maui in general) is expensive. The breakfast buffet at the Grand Wailea Grand Dining Room cost $27/person. The food was good and, as with all the restaurants in the hotel, it has an incredible view of the ocean. We ate our breakfasts there every morning.

As far as activities go, besides the multiple pools, the Grand Wailea has a scuba pool and they offer their guests free scuba diving lessons. We tried this activity (our children did, too!) and we had a great time. After an hour or two of lessons, they took us out in the ocean for an ocean dive. It was the hit of our trip. They also have kayak rentals (which we rented twice), surf board rentals, small boats, etc. Of course, the Grand Wailea pools, with their countless water slides and waterfalls, were a big hit, too. Even for us adults! The pools were the only thing that kept us from moving out of the hotel altogether, especially since these activities kept us busy outside of our dirty room. One tip, though. If you should decide to stay at this hotel, ask for a room that is somewhat close to the pool. It was a long hike for us to get to the pool, the water activities, restaurants, beach path, etc. It was another disappointment about our room.

Our room was in desperate need of cleaning and refurbishment and we were especially disappointed that the hotel management continues to pass this room off as a five-star room. Shame on them! Had the hotel not been operating at full capacity, we would have asked for another room. In the end, our final Grand Wailea bill (hotel, food, and activities only) for the week was about $10,000. Too much for a two-star room(!), but everything else was (mostly) grand.

After returning home, I emailed the hotel management about our disappointment in our stay, but so far (one week and counting), I’ve received no apology or explanation from upper management explaining why they continue using this room (especially at this price!) Another red flag and disappointment. I would love a refund commensurate to the type of room we were given.

You can bet that we won't be staying at this hotel again, nor recommend it, unless the entire hotel goes through refurbishment. We won’t take the chance again of getting another worn out Grand Wailea room. What is ironic is that we didn't stay at the Four Seasons Hotel (next door) because the rooms are currently under renovations (until June 2007). We just didn't know we would end up staying in a room that was in desperate need of renovation itself.

• Liked — The pools.
  • Disliked — Mature, dirty rooms.
25 Thank spnslc
Camarillo
Reviewed 26 February 2007

My fiancé and I both loved our stay at this resort. My sister was married and the wedding coordinator did a fantastic job, the wedding in the chapel was beautiful and the food for the reception was great. This was by far the nicest vacation/wedding I have been to. You must go to the spa, it was magical and completely relaxing. The pool is tons of fun and everyone in my family enjoyed the water slide and the water elevator. Get to the pool early if you plan on getting a nice location on the pool lounges. Drinks from the bar were excellent and all around the service was divine. I plan on going back as soon as possible.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank Needadayoff
Michigan
Reviewed 17 February 2007

A lovely resort. Our room was on the 7th floor with a spectacular view of the ocean. We could watch whales spouting and breaching from our balcony. We are water fanatics so we brought our own snorkel gear and hit the water really early in the morning - 7AM. The snorkel spots get busy as the day goes on. We would recommend two good spots off the hotel beach walk. The first was to the left (as you face the water) where the beach hits the lava rock. Head into the water here and swim way out. If you dive down you can actually hear the whales - very cool. We saw lots of turtles, sea urchins and triggerfish. The other spot is to the right - Ulua beach. Just start walking to the right and just after the private hotel front you will see a public beach and dive shop. Enter the water here. Lots of fish in the shallows but if you follow the reef straight out you will find turtles and hear the whales. We even saw a Manta Ray glide by. Just amazing for a snorkel trip. It was as nice as a typical scuba dive trip. At the hotel everything is super expensive and crowded. If you want to lounge by the pool get there early. There are extra charges for cabana's and nice cushioned chairs. Just expect to pay more for the best service. The pool and water slides are as fun as they appear.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Musty odor in the room - they all have it
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank Thunderpunch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!