“Loved the Grand Wailea!”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Plano, TX
“Loved the Grand Wailea!”
Reviewed 8 May 2007

We stayed at the Grand Wailea April 27-May 2 (5 nights) for our 2nd anniversary. We are 25yrs old, but we enjoy laid back get aways - we arent much for bar hopping in Lahaina. Anyway, we booked a Terrace Room and were upgraded to the Garden View upon arrival (with no request). I was amazed at the view! I read on here before we booked that most rooms were the same, except for suites, the only thing different was the view. Since we were planning on spending most of our time at the beach/pool, I didnt think an incredible view was worth the extra hundreds of dollars/night. When we checked into the garden view I was so pleased with the Lanai and the beautiful gardens! Sure, it wasnt the ocean or the mountains, but the trees and flowers were beautiful! We arent much for hanging out on the Lanai anyway, so we still only sat out there a couple times. The room was great - very large. It had a couch and a kind size bed. The decorations were "island elegant". The bathroom was wonderful - a big tub and glass shower. The vanity area was large also. I read horrible reviews on here about the rooms being dirty and aged, but I didnt feel that way at all. Everytime we opened the door, we got a fresh whif of tropical soapy scents (sounds wierd, but it was really nice). I could tell the carpet was a little dingy and some tiles/grout in the bathroom was aged or cracked, but I didnt think it took away from the room a lot.

The staff were incredible. I read bad things on here about the staff, but we had the opposite experience. Everyone we passed said Aloha and briefly spoke with us about our day. When we were leaving we got a few "see you next years" which made us feel so welcome (of course we are paying big money for it...). The lei upon arrival was nice as well.

We valet parked the first day, so we didn't have to worry about finding the lobby or the parking garage. The bellman that showed us to our room was also exceptional - he told us all about the resort. What times things were open, what to expect where, etc. When we checked in we got a couple maps of the resort as well. We were in the front wing near the center Grand Dining room on the Molokai parking garage side. The parking garage wasnt as convenient as valet parking, but it sure wasnt as far from our room as other reviews make it sound. It was definitely worth saving the $15/day plus tip! PLus it was a very pretty walk! We didnt have trouble finding it at all - the garages are on both sids of the main entrance and are labeled either molokai garage or Kiehi garage I believe.

The resort has SO much to offer and looking at the map online it is kind of overwhelming, but i was amazed at how it didnt feel too big. We spent about an even amount of time at the adult pool, the beach, and the activity pool. The slides/lazy river/rapids are fun for adults too! We never had a problem getting beach chairs - at any time during hte day - but I know we werent there during the peak of the summer. I could see where it may be a problem then. The chairs are nice at the pool, with cushions on them. We didnt rent a cabana or anything because we were there for the sun! we just put on a lot of sunscreen and were fine!

The views all over the resort are just amazing though. The pictures dont even do it justice. We went over to the Four Seasons one day and it just didnt compare. The pool was nice and elegant, but it just wasnt as big - with a large resort like these, I'd like the big pool and beach area for all the people. Not to mention, there were no slides, etc. I didnt notice any kids at the Four Seasons, so maybe thats the difference, but kids werent a problem for us at the GW. If they get annoying, you can go to the adult pool.

We ate at the Grand Dining Room for breakfast one morning and it was delicious. The view was amazing, but of course the price was high also. I would never pay the $27/person for the buffet - I just couldnt eat my money's worth. Instead I just ordered regular pancakes for $13 and my husband had an egg, hashbrown, toast, sausage combo for $16. That was still real expensive for what we are used to, but definitely much cheaper than the buffet. I think when eating on the resort, you can either accept the high prices, make wise choices when ordering (if a bagel is too expensive then dont get the bagel! there are reasonable items on the menu), or you can eat off the property. We had the Maui Revealed book and ate at several places we found highly rated in there - that were cheaper - and we loved them. We also ate at the Volcano Bar, Bistro Molokini, and Cafe Kula. All were decent, nothing spectacular for the price, but you are paying for the convenience of eating on the resort I think. For us, we ate about half on the resort and half off. Drinks at the resort are high also - $12 for pretty much any alcohol drink. We knew that going in, so just budgeted for it and had fun. They are going to be expensive at any resorts. Even at the government resort on Oahu has $8 drinks I think. Drinks at the restaurants off the resort were cheaper - but hey a few more dollars for a drink in the pool was worth it - just not for a ton of drinks.

We did the scuba lesson and dive also and absolutely loved it. Donald was our dive instructor. The dive was off the shore - so nothing too scary, but we saw lots of colorful fish, reef, turtles, and eels. People were also snorkeling out above where we were also. Donald took a ton of pictures underwater of us. It was $50 for the pictures, but the 80 shots are priceless! He was an incredible instructor and dive guide. I would request him for sure! Of course the others may be great also... There is also a cove in front of the Marriott Wailea (which isnt a beach front resort by the way - its a rocky cove). This cove had 4 or 5 turtles swimming in it. We walked over and took pictures - it was great!

We did a couples massage at the Grand Spa also. This is hands down the best spa I've been too - and I am a frequent Spa goer at home and on vacation. We got to our Terme appt about 30 minutes early, and they just let us go in. So we got an hour and a half in the baths and then a 50 minute massage. Between the 2 we sat outside on the spa lanai in our robes for about 10 minutes. It was gorgeous - overlooking the adult pool and ocean! My husband isnt much for baths, as I'm sure most guys arent, but he loved the terme!! He may have enjoyed those more than the massage! The massage was great though - in a couples room - with hawaiian spa music and the windows open, so we could hear the ocean. Just perfect!

One last thing I would reccommend is the Warren and Annabelle show in Lahaina. It was a close second to our scuba dive at GW for our favorite on the trip. Its a magic/comedy dinner show thats incredible!! We went to the Luau at the Marriott Wailea. It was ok - the food was pretty good and the dancing/costumes/fire thrower was good. Kinda cheesy though, but I think a lot of the luau's are like that I guess.

Overall, I cant wait to go back to Maui. We will definitely stay at the Grand Wailea again. Its a perfect mix of adult relaxing atmosphere plus fun - all in luxury! Yes its very expensive, but if you know that going in and can afford it, just accept it and have fun. In comparison to the other resorts on Maui - its worth the money!!

I hope this helps - I read tripadvisor a ton for advice on our trip.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank wood0430

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 May 2007

We stayed at the Grand Wailea April 29th-May 4th and had a great time there. We had booked the lowest rate room and knew our view would be of the parking lot but with a bit of "talking" at check in we were given an upgrade to an ocean front room on an upper floor since the hotel was not crowded. When we opened our door you could see straight through to the ocean just amazing! The rooms are very nice, well appointed, and large by hotel standards, especially the bathroom which has both tub and shower. Beds are very comfortable and the lanai gives you a great view. There is a mini bar instead of a refrigerator which was too bad but other than that everything was great. Plan on doing a lot of walking here even the self parking garage is quite a hike every day. We had breakfast in the Grand Dining room twice while there both times the food was superb, don't miss the Whole wheat cranberry pancakes! Lunch by the pool was also a great treat as was dinner at the Bistro one night. The small Cafe for breakfast was not the greatest but a good cup of coffee and bagel worked fine along with some fresh fruit.
The pools are amazing, several levels of water fun all interconnected by slides my husband had a great time! The beach is lovely and chaise lounges are provided but shade will cost you 45.00 a day for an umbrella, just a little pricey. Thankfully there is an independent service just down the beach that will provide one for 20.00!
There is no direct access to the Shops at Wailea which is a shame but the blue cheese burgers at the Burger place are worth the walk. There is also a coffee place tucked away upstairs that makes a great cup of coffee! Not to be missed is Roy's Restaurant for dinner, it is located in the Safeway shopping center on Pilani Highway.
The Grand Wailea is truly grand a not to be missed experience if you can afford it. The staff are well trained to take care of every need, the grounds are beautifully maintained and you know you are living in luxury. It was very hard to leave yesterday I miss the ocean view!

• Liked — The amazing ocean view
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Msbgd1
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 3 May 2007

Let me begin by saying this hotel was beautiful. The Grand Wailea is a huge property with beautifully maintained grounds. We used our Hilton Honor points and stayed here 5 days. If we had paid for this hotel, we would have been very disappointed and felt very taken advantage of. We are not cheap people. We stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and to "treat" ourselves. We were prepared for the high prices in Hawaii and the higher costs associated with luxury hotels. The Grand Wailea far exceeeded our expectations by outrageously charging for every little thing and for services that are usually complimentary at other hotels. Its funny how that works when you get more and pay less at mid-priced hotels like Hiltons and Holiday Inns. At luxury hotels like the Grand Wailea you are charged a lot more and then charged even more for the things that are free at the lower end hotels.

This is the only hotel that I have ever heard of that you can't pull your car up to the front door and check in and then go park your car. The main entrance is "valet only" and there is no parking. The self parking garage is next to the property and is unmarked. I feel they purposely trick the guest into using valet parking, especially during the check in process and give you no other option. We unknowing pulled into the main entrance and tried parking the car when we arrived to check in. We were promptly notified by valet that there was no parking and they would be happy to park the car. After checking in, my husband asked if parking was included in the price of the room. The front desk told him valet was $15/day and the self park garage was free. My husband complained that he was not offered this option and that this was the only hotel he has stayed at that you can't park in front and check in. The front desk called the valet and told them not to park our car. We ended up parking the car ourselves after check-in. The self parking garage is quite a walk from most of the hotel rooms. They make the guest feel like valet parking is your only option by not offering and not identifying the self parking garage. The hotel sits on 43 acres so there is a chance you wil have a good walk. This could be a problem for someone with a physical disability or families with small children.

We were notified upon check-in that we were upgraded to a "oceanview" room which would have cost $950 night. We were expecting the room to look like the Taj Mahal at that price tag. It was your average hotel room on ground level that overlooked a Koi pond, wedding chapel, manicured lawns, and then the ocean. It was as close to the ocean as any of the rooms were but nothing else was special about this room. The condition of the rooms were slightly used and outdated. You could see the age by the tiles and grout in the bathroom, old bathroom rugs and stained tiles on the lanai. The bed was big and comfy with clean white linens.

Our room came with a mini-bar refridgerator but you were asked not to store any personal items in the refridgerator to avoid getting charged for any of their provided items. Expecting outrageous prices for the provided items in the mini-bar, the Grand Wailea far exceeded this expectation.

They also say they provide free internet. You must plug your computer into their dock and it is very very slow connection. If you want a faster connection, you must call the front desk and pay an extra $5/day. You would still have to use the same connecting dock, the only difference would be they would flip a switch somewhere and give you the faster service and charge you more.

Our first morning, we woke up and decided to check out breakfast in the main dining room. At $27 per person for your basic breakfast, eggs, meat, bread and potatos, this just seemed outrageous. We drove down the road to Kihei and ate every morning at a small cafe called Ashleys where the prices were reasonable and the food was fast and delicious. We looked at the room service menu which was identical to the dining room menu except for the 18% service charge plus $4 delivery fee on top of the outrageous menu prices. A bowel of oatmeal and a bagel only would have cost $30! We did purchase food once at the hotel from Cafe Kula because we were in a hurry to catch our tour. Cost of 1 Coolah energy drink: $7.03. Cost of cup of yogurt with granola on top $6. I thought maybe energy drinks would cost a little more considering they are imported from the mainland and I found the prices to be the exact same at most gas stations and shops.

After a short time, you began not to trust this hotel. For services that are standard at every other hotel, the Grand Wailea charges and they charge a lot more. To use the hotel pools, you must get a wrist band and they offer towels. I though for sure this was another way for the Grand Wailea to charge their customers but this is one service that is still complimentary.

Overall, the staff seemed very friendly except when my husband called the front desk to ask if they were having problems with the internet. Instead of checking on it for him, they automatically connected him with their internet provider.

The Grand Wailea is known for their pools. The pools are beautiful. We stuck by the adult only Hibiscus pool and had a little trouble finding 2 chairs. There were Cabanas but you had to reserve and pay for those. It seemed like the pool area lacked attention as there were used wet towels and empty drinks everywhere. I only noticed 2 waiters taking drink orders for the entire area. There were probably more empty chairs than it seemed but you couldn't tell who was there and who had left because there was a towel on every chair.

The other pools were crawling with children and were very busy. I could see lots of fun things like water slides but I didn't feel like hanging out with 10 year olds.

This is also one of those hotels that charge an additional $25 day on top of the room rate and tax for a "resort fee." As if they already haven't drained your life savings after a stay here, they dare to add insult to injury by sneaking in this fee on your bill.

Overall, this place was nice. The rooms on their website look like they are right on the ocean, and they are not. In truth, the hotel sits far behind the water and in our opinion, the pictures are deceiving. The grounds are beautiful and the staff is overall very friendly. The prices here are outrageous for what you get, even by Hawaii hotel standards. If we hadn't used Hilton Honor points we would have felt very cheated and ripped off. The rooms are needing some updating very soon. We will not stay here again. This hotel would be ok for someone who is not actually paying for their stay here or if you like wasting your hard earned money.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — getting ripped off every way possible
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank sarah_and_jaymie
mo
Reviewed 2 May 2007

We checked into the Grand Wailea on Saturday, and our room was ready, but the lovely girl at the front desk upgraded us to another room as we were there to get married. We got a room in the Chapel Wing, overlooking the incredibly beautiful chapel and surrounding garden. I know that the 'full ocean view' rooms are premium and sought-after, but I cannot imagine ANY room in this resort having a better view than we had (1020). We had the breathtaking gardens, the chapel, the koi pond and waterfalls, and we could easily see the beach, ocean and even the lovely sunsets. The bed was heavenly. The bathroom with the steam shower was huge and so pretty. I loved our lanai, loved watching the fish and turtle in the koi pond under us. I agree that the prices of nearly everything at this resort is completely outrageous, but I went in knowing that and it removed most of the sting. The staff was mostly very gracious and accomodating. The pools were great, and I can't wait to come back and bring the kids. We were married at nearby Makena Cove, but the wedding staff at the Grand Wailea was kind and gracious enough to allow us to take a bulk of pre-wedding photos all over the grounds, and our photos are amazing because of it. I TRULY appreciated that. We ate at Humuhumu, and I'm sorry to say that it wasn't great, and certainly didn't live up to the $250 check for the two of us to eat. We have to assume that the $76 2-lb lobster from MAINE must have arrived in Maui from Maine in a first class seat to warrant that price! And my husband is an East Coast Italian boy, so his lamenting over the size and quality of the lobster is a pretty good litmus test. It wasn't great. We also tried Spago, Ferraros (at Four Seasons), and several restaurants in Kehei. We liked Cafe O'Lei and Moose McGillicuddy's pretty well for the decent quality food and good prices. We had the greatest waitress at Moose's. She was amazing. Our server at Spago was equally awesome, and because we arrived to Spago still dressed in our wedding attire (formal), we were gifted with a complimentary dessert, which was delicious.

We did the usual things, snorkeling at Molokini via Ma'alea; visited Lahaina and Ka'anapali, went to Paia, etc, but honestly, the best of everything was either at the Grand Wailea or 7 minutes away in Kehei. The Grand Wailea is immaculate, gorgeous, lush, extravagant, amazing. I don't think I want to stay anywhere else when we return to Maui. However, the next trip will be with the children, so there will be a definite shift in our dining choices. We had room service for my husband only - and it was $117. Not something we will do for four, or even two. We ate at the Volcano bar - nachos and a turkey sandwich with sodas - $48. We ate at the Molokini restuarant by the pool - a salad for me and steak for hubby - over $120. We did rent the fridge for $25, and made a trip to Foodland, and one to Star Market in Kehei. We saved a mint just buying muffins, soda, bread and lunchmeat, etc. I do wish that the Wailea offered self-service laundry. I was told that there was a laundromat in Kehei, but I never found it.

The Spa Grande has earned its place as one of the top spas in the world. It was incredible. Our couples' massage and the terme therapy was like heaven on earth - $400 for the both of us, but it was fabulous. The Shops were nice, but so pricey. As a wedding gift, my husband purchased a necklace I admired at NaHoku. It is lovely, but I saw the same or very, very similar necklace in other places for far less than the $400 he paid at the Shops at Wailea.

It was a VERY expensive wedding/honeymoon/vacation, but the Grand Wailea is THE place, in my opinion, to be when on Maui. I was very disappointed and turned off by the vastness and corporate look of Lahaina/Ka'anapali. Though I understand it is a very desirable place for many to go, I can't imagine staying there if I can stay at the Grand Wailea. Makena Beach was very nice; I love that it remains undeveloped. The luau next door at the Marriott was very, very good.

I'd be happy to share more details if I can.

• Liked — The luxurious atmosphere, spa, beauty of resort
  • Disliked — cost of every little thing - $6.25 for bottle of water
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ubermomom
Boston
Reviewed 28 April 2007

I'm about to celebrate my 2 year anniversary, and I got to thinking about my honeymoon at the Grand Wailea.

Atfer a week in Oahu, my husband and I took a puddle jumper to Maui.

My first impression of Maui was shock. I was expecting lush greenery and tropical utopia, but was greeted with a gigantic walmart, strip mall, and an otherwise overly commercial area.

After a few minutes in the car we got our scenery. It's amazing. More, the Grand Wailea is one of the most beautiful places I've ever experienced. Not seen, experienced.

There are fountains, pools, restaurants, flowers, the beach, just amazing...

It's very remote, about 40 minutes from Lahaina, which was were the nightlife was.

The restaurants were fair considering the price. $25 pizzas are not really appealing.

My husband was reprimanded for not being dressy enough in the resort lobby, I guess he was to wear collared shirts in the public areas, and not a t-shirt?

There are people paid to hose down the sand on the beach full time as it's very windy.

Tons of kids. Holy cow were there a ton of unattended kids.

The spa? WOW. The terme, hot baths, couples massage and bath, papmering, etc. have no equal.

All in all, we had a good time. The grounds and ammenities were 5 star. The costs, rules, and staff were not.

I'd love to go back some time, but wouldn't want to be there more than a few days. It would be ideal to stay in Lahaina and just spend a few hours at the resort spa, if they allow that...

2 Thank AMRBoston
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed 27 April 2007

First of all - WOW - the town of Wailea is fantastic. You can tell that it is the rich part of Maui. On the drive from the airport you will notice the typical crowded and unkempt yards of a beach town, dusty & sandy paths, and worn down houses. But once you come into Wailea it's a different story. Well manicured lawns, new & large homes, beautiful vegitation and many fancy resorts & shops.

The Grand Wailea is definately a 5 Star resort, but you can see signs of aging in the rooms. The most notable was the tile work in the bathroom. Originally white or beige grout was dingy from time. I noticed one review commented on dirty tiles on the lanai, but it's outside at the beach, what do you expect? Neither of these "complaints" should be a reason to overlook the Grand Wailea.

The bed was heavenly - all white down pillowtop, down comforter, & oversized down pillows. The room was very spacious and our view overlooking the pools & out to the beach was spectacular. We were on the top floor, second to the end of the lagoon wing (I think - it was room 3068).

The hotel provides towels for the pool/beach and chairs. (I went during April, which is the off-season, but I didn't have a hard time finding a chair and nobody was at the pool before 8:00 am. This is probably not true during peak season though, because as the day wore on, the pool became much more crowded.) If you can't find a chair at the pool, it is most likely because people have left their used towels on the chairs that they have vacated. Look around for chairs that have only towels and no shoes, clothes, bags, etc. with them and they are 90% open. Just throw the towels to the side. You aren't supposed to be able to "save" chairs for longer than 60 minutes even with your stuff on them, but the pool attendants don't start picking up left towles until the late afternoon. Also, is all else fails, look around at the more hidden areas of the pools - next to the slides and such - where most people don't go for chairs. Or drag one of the beach chairs upto the lawn. The adult pool is the most crowded of all the pools in the way of chairs because the adults tan instead of swim. Oh, if you need towles after the activity desk closes, I think you can request them from the front desk and they will bring them to you. I think.

I also noticed complaints about rude staff members. Everyone that I walked past greeted me with an "aloha" and were very friendly. The only people that weren't helpful were the valet (it is $15/night to valet park & free to self park - but it's a walk - so the valet kinda look down on you if you self park.) My husband rented a longboard and wanted to store it. The bellmen said that it was too large for their storage, but the valet could store it with the bicycles. The valet said he would take care of it when he parked our car. When he found out we were self parking he turned up his nose and told him to take it to the bell desk. After explaining what the bell desk said he finaly said that he "guess"ed he could take it if he had to. My husband just ended up taking it up the stairs and keeping it in our room instead. So if you intend on valet parking, you should have no problem. If you want to self park, just try to aviod the valet all together.

The front desk was helpful. When we were ready to check out I noticed that we had been charged $25 every day instead of once for the refrigerator that we had brought to our room. When we called about it, she immediately removed the extra charges. (But do check your bill - what if they did that every time? Not everybody would notice or say something about it.)

Do realize that the room rate is not all you will pay. There is a $20 per night charge for a resort fee (that is supposed to be fore internet, phone calls, pool access, self parking, etc.), $3 per night housekeeping fee, $15 per night valet parking fee (or self parking is free), $25 one time charge if you want a refrigerator, crazy prices for umbrellas at the beach or cabanas at the pool that I didn't even want to know, high prices for watersport equipment at the beach, a charge for floats/innertubes at the pool, and probably more that I'm forgetting. And all that has the 11.XX tax added to it. Many guest commented that they felt "nickle and dimed" at this resort because of all the extra fees. But look on the bright side - you don't have to pay for what you don't want. Except that resort fee and housekeeping fee.

The pools were great. The Hibiscus pool is 18 & up only, so it is relaxing (if there aren't a buch of drunk people in it). The water elevator is overrated, but I'm sure the kids will love it. The 2 big slides are fantastic - even for adults - very fast and long. The rope swing was a huge hit with the kids. The cascading slides, especially the rapid slide are fun leading into the lazy river. They also offer each guest one free complimentary introductory scuba lesson in the deep water pool. Then you can go on an ocean dive out in front of the hotel for $99. (Certified divers are charged $25 for a refresher lesson, but it is subtracted from the ocean dive fee, so it is still only $99 if you go on the dive.) The dive is simple, nothing fantastic, but it is nice for a first time dive. You should at least take the lesson. There's no commitment to go on the dive if you don't want to. It was way easier than snorkling because it was so much easier to breathe and you don't have to worry about sucking in water. When we went it was only my husband (who is a certified diver) and I so, the instructor was able to watch me and help me continuously. Even in a group, the numbers are limited, so you should have a similar experience. They also take high quality digital pictures of you during the dive that they will sell to you for $50 on a CD.

The grounds were beautiful. Well maintained and tiki torches burned all over the resort at night. Art and water are displayed beautifully all over the hotel and grounds.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants at the resort because they were soooo expensive and no one I talked to (or reviews I read) said that they were very good, just O.K. We also didn't have any spa treatments, but I heard rave reviews about them from other guests, especially the hydrotherapy that you experience before your treatment.

My husband played the Wailea Emerald Golf Course. He loved it. He said the views were great.

I probably wouldn't spend my own cash at the regular rates here just because of all the extras that you have to pay for. But it was a wonderful experience. I'm just glad that my husband's company rewards his hard work with places like these every year! For those of you who aren't concerned about the amount you pay, the Grand Wailea is a good place to go, especially if you have kids (because of the pools and child-sitting services). I did hear another guest say that the Four Seasons next door was wonderful. It was more expensive, but they included much more in their rates, instead of charging you separately for everything.

Other Info:

We ate at:
1. Lahina Fish Company in Lahina (Moderate to Slightly High, approx. $18 - 39/entree), good food, O.K. service, great view - it sits out over Lahina Harbor). 2. Paia Fish Market in Paia (Inexpensive, approx $10-13/entree), great fried food, counter service only, a few bench style tables that you sit with other people at, no view). 3. Buzz's Warf at Maalea Harbor (Slightly High, approx. $23-45/entree & drinks are club service - no refills), FANTASTIC shrimp - read up about it - O.K. other food, O.K. service, O.K. view of Maalea Harbor, but not directly on the water, so you'd have to sit at the window and look over the parking lot. 4. Canoes in Lahina (Moderate to Slightly High, approx. $18-39/entree) O.K. food - I didn't really care for my Mahi, good service, good view of the ocean if you sit at the windows near the north end of the restaurant.

We shopped at:
1. The Shops at Wailea - really only good for high-end shopping, not much entertainment. Only a couple of restaruants.2. Front Street in Lahina - nice to stroll & do some Hawaiian market shopping along with a few clothing stores, nice jewelry stores, and art galleries. Lots of restaurants. Stop and check out the huge Banyan tree. 3. Whaler's Village in Kanapali - similar to the shops at Wailea, but on certain nights they offer free entertainment. 4. Hagusegawa (sp?) General Store in Hana - junky place to pick up a t-shirt or a snack or some motor oil after traversing the road to Hana. 5. ABC store - the ultimate Hawaiian convience store. Good for cheap souveniers, snacks, etc.

We surfed at "The Cove" in Kihei. Good, long breaking 1 foot swells for beginners. It is where a lot of surf classes take place, but you can keep away from them by surfing in the actual cove where commercial activity is forbidden. We rented our board from Maui Waveriders which has a shop out of a truck between the Marketplace and the 76 Gas station near the Cove in Kihei and somewhere in Lahina. They were great. Provided you with booties - the sand can be dangerous from rocks - a rash guard - and of course the board. A soft top is $15/day and a hard top is $30/day.

We traveled the Road to Hana. If you like seeing a lot of different areas/beaches and waterfalls, you should do this, ONCE. But it is a loooong winding road. There are lots of places to stop to swim, body board, and see waterfalls. You can even swim in some waterfalls, but it's not always advised depending on the conditions.

We went to Big Beach in Makena - this is more like the beaches you'd be used to in the US. Most beaches in Hawaii are small, but this golden sand beach is long and wide. The shore break is right on the beach, so bodyboarding and body surfing are fun, but dangerous. The waves have some major crashing force here. The water here is crystal clear. I've never seen anything like it.

• Liked — The pools, the view, and the room size
  • Disliked — The additional costs for everything under the sun
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
10 Thank drydenh
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 April 2007

After a long business trip to Phoenix we (my son and I) decided to take a quick weekend vacation from Honolulu at the Grand Wailea in Maui. As soon as our taxi from the airport arrived at the hotel the bellhop happly opened the door and gave us leis and offered to take our bags, aftering accepting there offer they directed us to the check in desk. The line was rather long but it went rather quickly. After receiving our room keys the same bellhop that assisted us upon arrival showed us to our rooms and asked if there was anything else we needed. After he left we toured our room which was actually very nice, but deffinatlly not worth the $700 price tag. The bathroom was very nice and very clean, but in other parts of the room there were defiant signs of aging as you could see wood chips missing from the closet door and from the bathroom door. But overall the only thing that really I disliked was the fact that there was a stain on one of our pillows that looked of blood. Emidiately we called house keeping who showed up very shortly (withing 10 minutes) and genuanly apologised for the inconvenience.

After looking at our room we toured the property and decided to try and go for a swim aftering getting into our swimsuits and going down to the pool it was shocking to find out that towels were not being given out beyond six even though the pool was open till 10:00. So we went back up to the room ordered room service and ended the day.

On our first day we went to the pool at about 10 AM and found the pools to be absolutley amazing, but at the same time very crowded with other familys. The adult pool though was like walking into another world it was very quite and had attentative service. One thing we were very happy about though was that there were pool chairs avaliable, becaue after reading the horror stories of having to come out at six in the morning to get a chair we began to worry. Later on that evening me and my son decided to go to the spa for the evening and both agreed that it was above and beyond what we had expected.

On our last day at the Grand Wailea we came out to the pool at noon and to our amazment the horror stories were true no chairs were avaliable, but and excellent pool staff member gladly helped up out by finding us two chairs. She even offered to get our pool towels and wrist bands for us as an apology, but we declained not wanting to be a burdan.

Overall our stay at the Grand Walea was very good, not worth $700 a night but still very good.

• Liked — the pools & spa
  • Disliked — how crowded it was
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank supernoa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!