“A slice of heaven.................” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Waldorf, Maryland
“A slice of heaven.................”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

It has taken me a while to write this review. As I do, it brings back such good memories. My family and I travel quite a bit and we depend on Tripadvisor to guide us. I am always thankful to those who write reviews that are helpful which is why I try to do the same when I return. I've learned over the years to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt because some people you just can't please.
My husband, son 11 yr., nephew 12 yr. and I traveled to Maui from Honolulu. We were only here for 2 nights, but they were well worth it and left us wanting more. We stopped at the K-mart on the way from the airport and got snacks and drinks to take with us. Prices maybe slightly higher than at home. We also stopped and got lunch at the Burger King before we continued on. We had a fantastic time at the Grand Wailea Resort. When we first planned our trip to Hawaii someone suggested we should do more than one island since we were traveling so far. Boy are we glad we did! When we stepped out of the car we were greeted with flower leis. When we arrived our room wasn't ready, so they allowed us to check our bags and start enjoying the property. Guest services was always very helpful, although oftenbusy, but still the wait was not that long even when there was a line. They serve you juice while you wait and the views from there are great too. We are Hilton members and got a coupon for a free bottle of champagne and $40. off dinner. Join before you go. The staff was always smiling, courteous, and helpful. The lobby area is beautiful with a lot of great art work. The resort is huge, but we had a friendly bellman that gave us a good tour and orientation on the way to our room.
We loved our room overlooking the Chapel. The Chapel was a nice cool place to sit and get away from the hustle and bustle. I got some great pictures of the chapel reflected in the pond surrounding it. (I will try and add them later) We could still see a beautiful ocean view and the sun rising/setting from our room which was spectacular. Our room was spacious enough for the 4 of us with 2 queen beds. The beds were extremely comfortable and we all slept like babies. We had a nice size balcony to sit on with chairs and a table. The bathroom is huge and nicely decorated. Although, it was spring break, it was quiet in our building. The resort was packed, but we wouldn't have known it once we were in our room. Take the time to walk the grounds and the beach. Walking from the resort on the path to the left as you face the ocean you pass by some amazing houses and get some wonderful views, there is another little beach cove along the way about a 10 min walk. There is a path to the right which takes you pass what looks like condos. Stunning views everywhere you look. I walked these paths a few mornings when it was quiet before there was more foot traffic.
We loved the easy access to the beach and close proximity to the beautiful pool with rapids, Tarzan rope swing, water elevator, lazy river and water slides. The kids loved it. All of us enjoyed the cave and waterfalls. The pool staff and security does a great job of making sure everyone has a good time. Our housekeeper was very nice and made sure we had everything we needed. All of our requests were handled promptly.
If you want to continue your fitness routine, don't miss the gym, the facilities at the GW are great. The equipment is state of the art with lots of cardio/weight equipment, each with its own video monitors. We only snacked at the pool one day. We got hamburgers and pina coladas (adult and kid versions) which were good but could be expensive to do every day. We used the self parking lot (which was a quite a walk from our room) but you pass by some great scenery while walking, so we didn't mind. We were always able to find a space. The valet parking was a little expensive for us.
There are marble terraces and fountains everywhere. There are a lot of little gazebo with benches where you can sit and enjoy some quiet. The property is meticulously manicured and has a true local island flavor. There is an artificial sandy beach which is good for kids/adults who aren't up for the the strong currents on the real beach. My son and nephew loved the water trampoline. The guy that runs it is very nice. We bought a ticket for them to use it for the day, but they didn't really use it that much, so he let them use the rest of their time the next day. We only snacked at the pool one day. We got hamburgers and pina coladas (adult and kid versions) which were good, but could be expensive to do every day. We asked at guest services and got the name of several nice restaurants. We also tried the Outback Steakhouse about a 15 min drive from the resort headed back towards the airport. Went to the farmer's market http://mauiopenmarket.com
We found some great deals on souvenirs and fresh fruit. We all golfed at a country club (a place whose name escapes me). The grounds were beautiful and a lot fun! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the courses. All in all we enjoyed our stay in Maui and at the GW. Can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mylesmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Wailea Hotel in October of 2009 for 5 days. The experience that we had was amazing! Everything about the experience was first class all the way. The hotel room and bathroom were large and inviting spaces. We really enjoyed the balcony that overlooked the ocean. It was a wonderful place to have coffee each morning and watch the sun rise. The hotel concierge was great about helping you book excursions and outings. We went to a luau, had a sunset dinner, went kayaking and snorkeling while we were there. the kayaking and snorkeling trip we booked thru the guide at the hotel. He was wonderful and it was a lot of fun to be on a small trip where you really had time to spend with the guide. It was only my husband and I and one other couple. It was a lot of fun and we were able to see a lot of underwater life.

I have recommended this hotel to many people I know who are traveling to Hawaii. The only downside I can say to this hotel would be that it is very expensive, but you definelty get what you pay for. Although meals could be costly there was not one thing that I did not enjoy abou tmy stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

This is a grand property - very lush and manicured. We usually stay at the Ritz in Kapalua, but friends encouraged us to try something new.
Upon arrival, we called room service to get some champagne flutes (we bought wine & champagne at Costco) -- room service is answered by VOICEMAIL. You are required to leave a name and room number, and they'll call you back. After 15 minutes with no call back, I called an "express service agent" - identified in the reference book as a troubleshooter. She transferred me back to room service voicemail. I called the agent again, and this time, she said she'd have room service call me. When all was said and done, it took 90 minutes to get the glasses, and they charged us a $5 delivery fee. It appears we should have just walked 1/2 mile to the bar, but by that time, we had already ordered them and were being charged.

The spa was amazing - very large with lots of amenities; however, it was like an assembly line with names being called in all spa areas, and overall very confusing.

This is a very family-friendly hotel - lots of kids. While the staff tries to enforce the "adult pool" policy of no kids under 18, there are still some rude parents who brought their kids anyway to the adult pool.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

We live in Dubai and we are accustomed to five star resorts all over the world, but our stay at Grand Wailea has been the most memorable experience truly had .
The Grand Wailea is a state of art property with everything you would expect from a top 5* resort. The resort is fully surrounded by nature: flowers, tropical trees, waterfalls, spectacular views of the ocean … definitely the best resort in Maui offering a top quality services in all aspects.
The reception area is majestic and stunning; large fountains, marble everywhere and modern statues, make you feel like you walk through an open air museum. The gardens, the private chapel surrounded by a pond and waterfalls and the ocean behind it offering a breathtaking sunset every day; the SPA is huge and high quality services offering the best treatment…those are just few details to explain how architecturally impressive the resort is.
We arrived late evening at the airport and our pick up went smoothly and fast. At the hotel the welcome experience was warm and charming: the employees are calling you by your name and flowers necklace were offered upon arrival. The check in was done in our room and welcome card with a large cheese platter and a bottle of wine was offered from the hotel (truly a personal touch).
The room is spacious and nicely decorated: it looks much better on reality than it does on the website! The bathroom is large with big shower and bath tub, there is a lot of space around the marble sink to keep personal creams, solar products, facial make up etc; I liked in particular the positioned of the hair-dryer next to a mirror: a very good thought detail as many hotels store them in drawers or somewhere in the rooms where it is difficult to use it properly.
The food and beverage outlets are wonderful and the food is delicious especially the fish restaurant Humuhumunukunukukapua’a (you may pronounce in syllables) offering a great selection of live lobsters and pacific rim cuisine; The Bistro Malikini is delicious and tasty: the fish and chips is superb, recommended to try; it was not greasy at all and the taste of the cod was delicious. The Japanese restaurant is astonishing (impressive the quality of the furniture and the ambience) offering a real Japanese food specialties – it’s a must if you like Japanese food!.
For the independent people there is a coffee shop located in the resort where at any time you can buy whatever you would like for meal or simply eating on a nice terrace overlooking the gardens. They also make large good take away pizzas to taste while looking at the sunset!
The professionalism of the employees offered a genuine service, attentiveness and always accommodating at all time. They help us to organize all our excursions and they assisted us all over needed.
Last but not least, if you feel like shopping, there is a large choice of shops offering whatever you might have forgotten home up to an interesting art gallery with super cool paintings and art decor.
Truthfully, the Grand Wailea resort and its team exceed our expectation: quality, attention to details, comfort and professionalism made us feeling very special creating unforgettable experience.

1 Thank BabiStella
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

Our expectations were too high as this was our first trip to any Hawaiian Island and we thought it would be a trip of a lifetime. We went with our three boys (9,11,14). You can't beat the beauty of the hotel and scenery, but it stops there. The service was horrible. Extra fees were questionable. The food was disgusting. We dined at their signature restaurant, Huma Huma, spent over $700 on one of the worst meals I have ever had. It wasn't crowded and it took our server over 20 minutes to greet us. Under our table, I found a partially eaten rib. Don't eat at Huma Huma and for that matter, eat off site if at all possible. You will get a better meal at a much better price.
The hotel is just too big and they can't handle the onslaught of people. The pools are over crowded and you have to fight for a lounge chair. Don't leave your spot or someone else will overtake it. And getting bar service by the pool takes way too long. Same goes for the beach. Get there early to stake out your spot. And you will not have any bar/food service while on the beach.
The pools were OK for the kids but very dirty.
And best of luck with your hotel bill. Mistakes all over mine.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Gurne
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

So beautiful, best weather and best beach. Hint: If you can travel without kids, go in October when it is less crowded. These guys offer an adult only pool where you can carry your drinks, kiss in the pool, whatever. Hint: I think you can get a garden view (if your room overlooks the chapel) that is the closest to the pool and beach. I may not spend the $$ for the deluxe ocean view next time. The people were great, service was great, I have no complaints. The hotel can get very crowded, so maybe people complain about the service during those times. I did not each dinner there but once, the view was great from the steakhouse, but the food was so/so at best. At night, get in the rent a car and go out to each, there are many great places.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

I have done a lot of traveling in my lifetime, I have been very blessed, and one of my favorite place to return to year after year is the Grand Wailea. I love the friendly staff, the comfortable rooms, the beautiful surroundings, the pools and the artists that line the lobby. One of my favorite finds this last trip was a small jeweler down by the pool, Sophie Grace, beautiful hand made jewelry. I always try and buy something special each trip to Maui and I will remember the trip of 2010 with the beautiful necklaces and earrings that I purchased that afternoon down by the pool. Go and enjoy, it will be well worth it...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!