“Excellent view and good food”

The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Price range: US$50 - US$200
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Kalai Waa
Description: Hawaii's first and only Relais & Chateaux restaurant, The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea (formerly known as Capische?) offers a European-inspired elegance infused with creative island-to-table cuisine. Menus are created around what is readily available from Maui’s own farms and fisherman ensuring that each dish is prepared using only the finest local, seasonal and artisanal products; including those grown in the restaurant’s own garden and farming operation. From its perch on the hillside above South Maui's Wailea resort area, the restaurant offers sweeping panoramic ocean views from the upper lanai and intimate dining under the stars in the garden.
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
“Excellent view and good food”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Located on a hill overlooking Wailea beach/coast we sat a table in the garden. It was almost like a private dining room from 10 under the stars. Very nice. We decided to get the prix fix dinner deal for $75. It consists of picking one antipasta, one primi, and one secondi dish. I had the seared sea scallops for my antipasta and the scallops were excellent prepared. It came with some bacon and tomatoes and I did not feel it really came together as a dish. The bacon was very heavily salted. I ate all of the components separately and I did love the sear on the scallops. For my primi dish, which is often a pasta dish, I had the bolognese. I thought it was absolutely delicious. I almost wish I had ordered it was my main course. Three types of meat provided a medley of meaty flavors. For my main I had the Ahi. It was good. They had an impressive wine list and we chose the La Jota Cab Franc from 2005. We all liked it. The service was good. We all were full and skipped dessert. Overall it was very good.

• Visited July 2014
Capische, Manager at The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Aloha Barron, Mahalo for your review. We're happy you enjoyed your experience here and loved the scallops and bolognese! We hope you'll come back to see us if you visit the island again!

“Indifferent service lacking warmth, disappointing food”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We had high hopes for this dinner as we had numerous recommendations. Unfortunately we found rather brisk unattended service. We felt somewhat neglected as all the tables around us were spoken to by the chef & we were studiously ignored. No one bothered to explain the specials - in fact we did not know there were any until we heard the waiter explain them to the next table after we had ordered. We had the antipasto and then the pasta dishes. Neither were memorable. To cap it off when we asked the girls at reception to call the hotel shuttle we felt we were intruding on them. No shuttle arrived & no update from the girls & the valet from the hotel saved the night & offered to drive us home, so well done to the valets. In fact the driver was the highlight of our night.

Visited July 2014
5 Thank Steve E
Capische, Manager at The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Mahalo for your review and feedback, Steve. We are disappointed that you were unhappy with your experience at Capische. We apologize for the treatment you received from our wait staff and that you were not informed of the daily specials. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve our processes and training.
“Off the scale awesome!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My friends and I to travel the world extensively and eat at the finest restaurants found two piece to be truly extraordinary. We had the tasting menu and Chef Chris blew us all away! The food and wine were truly off the scale. My friends said it was the best meal ever had in Hawaii since their first trip in 1972. I highly recommend this Exquisite culinary experience.

• Visited July 2014
Mahalo for the review and kind words, Spar! We will certainly pass on your compliments to Chef Chris. We hope you'll remember to visit us if you travel to island again!
Fremont
“One of My Best Dining Experiences . . . Ever!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I decided to spend a week in Wailea, Maui for our 36th anniversary. As part of the celebration, we tried to find restaurants where the quality of food, service, and atmosphere were good to great, but not necessarily the most expensive. We decided Capische would be one of the places we would try.

When we arrived the hostess seated us on the Lanai which is like a balcony that overlooks the gardens and straight out towards the sunset. On this day, the sky was mostly clear with a few scattered clouds which seemed like the ingredients for a nice sunset.

We ordered one mixed green salad which we planned to share. Our server, Aaron, split the salad in the kitchen for us, which was very nice. For entrees, my wife ordered the special which was Kampachi, part of the Amber Jack family of fish we were told. I ordered the lamb shank & risotto. I asked Aaron to recommend a wine to pair with my meal, which he did: an Italian 2012 blend (80% Sangiovese - 20% merlot) named Piancornello, Rosso di Montalcino.

The lamb was "fall off the bone" tender and tasted very good, as did the risotto. The wine was excellent. The Kampachi was absolutely delicious. Seared with the skin left on, then baked, it was cooked and seasoned perfectly for our tastes. (Not overcooked or dry)

When seated, the setting sun was directly in our eyes (bring sunglasses), which cannot be helped if you want a table with a sunset view. By the time we were into the entrees, the sunset was pretty phenomenal. The service was excellent. I never needed to look for anyone, yet the staff was not "hovering".

We wound down the meal with a Creme Brûlée trio (Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry) and a Passion Fruit Tart with Coconut meringue accompanied by the darkest (a good thing) decaf I've ever had.

I want to thank the Capische staff and kitchen for giving us a memorable evening and one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. Excellent quality food, Excellent service, and Excellent atmosphere & setting. Five stars and highly recommended.

• Visited July 2014
Aloha rjshibata, Happy 36th anniversary! We thank you for allowing us to be a part of such a special experience for you. We're thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experience and loved your meals. Thank you for your recommendations, and we hope you'll visit us if you're ever on the island again!
“Amazing Views, Decent Service”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate here one evening during our honeymoon. I asked the concierge at our hotel what would be a nice place to enjoy the sunset and have a romantic dinner, and this was the suggestion. The menu has a three course pre-fixe menu (and other entrees) that you can also add a wine pairing with every course. Be warned - if you want to do this, both people in your party have to order the course meals, eliminating the possibility of saving at least part of your arm and leg for the meal. We ended up just ordering three courses outside of the fixed menu (plus one more entree) and it came out to less than the two course meals (just FYI). The beef carpaccio as a starter - awesome! Really well flavored. Next was the carbonara - this is the best thing on the menu! A house specialty, and they do it right! Our entrees were some steak dish and a mixed seafood dish. We thought these were just fair. After the carbonara, wasn't much left to get excited about :)

The view at sunset is SO beautiful. It definitely makes the dinner (and maybe helps to justify how much you have to pay them). The restaurant is part of a hotel which sits up a bit from the beach, so you are able to have a greater viewpoint of the water, islands, and landscape. Get there at 6pm for dinner so you can see the final moments of sunset by the time you're finishing up your meal.

As a twenty-something, the restaurant is definitely pricey, but the service is a multiple-waiter type deal with one person bringing bread and another in charge of the table. We got pretty forgotten in our corner booth, hence the 3-star rating. Two tables that were sat after us left before us due to the difference in service. When you make an investment in a dinner like we had ($200 for two people), you kind of don't like that to happen. Regardless, the food was good, the setting even better, and the overall ambience was a nice setting for a honeymoon dinner!

2 Thank Lebammel
Capische, Manager at The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Mahalo for your review, Lebammel. We're happy to see you enjoyed your overall experience here at Capische?. Also, we're glad you enjoyed the beef carpaccio and carbonara! We apologize you had a long wait for your food. We hope you'll consider visiting us again in the future.