“Great views”

Mala
Price range: US$40 - US$100
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Kihei Islander bus line stops in front of the Shops at Wailea, just in front of the Marriott. Mala Restaurant is located on the ocean front of the Marriott, Wailea. Just walk through the main lobby and you'll see our lounge, with the restaurant ramp to your left.
Description: Chef Mark Ellman of Avalon fame and Chef/Owner of Maui Tacos, who also owns the orginal Mala Ocean Tavern in Lahaina, has joined forces with his long time partner Shep Gordon and opened a Southside outpost of Mala. Aptly called Mala Wailea at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort and Spa Overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Island of Lanai. Our delightful restaurant offers stunning sunset vistas over the Pacific – every seat has an ocean view. Mark is pleased to continue the Mala tradition of making great food organic, healthy, fresh, and delicious. With an authentic menu of Mediterranean and Pacific Rim cuisine, our beautifully crafted dishes will please the palates of your most revered guests.
Bermuda
“Great views”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The service was great and the restaurant had nice views. They had a good menu and the food was good.

Visited July 2014

Fremont, California, United States
“Great food”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Not fancy but the food is amazing. In all of our 20+ trips to Maui this has turned out to probably be my husbands favorite restaurant. Right on the water and the food is excellent.

• Visited August 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“nice, expensive, not a lot of food”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were 4, probably better as a romantic couples date night out. We were trying to share pupu but the plates were very small, ended up ordering quite a bit more. Food was good though, just not enough.

• Visited November 2013
“This is No Lahaina Mala”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Let me first say my expectations could be too high. Mala Lahaina is our favorite restaurant in Maui. The setting, the food, the memories are all thee for us. We typically stay on that side of the island so we frequent Mala.

This time we are staying at the Gran Wialea and were so happy when we went for a walk on the beach and saw Mala was at the Marriot close by. When we arrived at Maui we did the standard Costco run and were surprised when we saw the opportunity to buy Mala GC for 20% off. Since we knew we would go at least twice we loaded up. I'll get back to that.

Restaurant view is amazing. Staff was friendly but just didn't have Mala vibe. Menu was limited and when we asked about specific dishes that looked similar they were described as being different. No worries we go the view. Food was OK-Nothing spectacular. If I wasn't aware of the original Mala i would just say this is an average hotel restaurant.

Finally when we went to pay the bill we pulled out our pre-purchased GC from Costco…No dice. They explained the don't work at this Mala…bummer. Guess we didn't read the fine print.

My best suggestion is make the trek to Lahaina Mala. 6:300-&pm reservation. You won't be disappointed. Watch for the turtles in the surf. Its worth the drive!

• Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DEFINITELY GO HERE”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This place was my favorite restaurant and meal and experience of my entire trip. The food was spectacular. The view was amazing. The staff was perfection. I can't say enough good things about this place. I consider myself a food snob being from NYC and I can't stop thinking about this food!

• Visited May 2014