“Thanksgiving - Maui Style”
Review of Gannon's

Gannon's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gannon's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wailea Alanui
Description: Floor to ceiling glass doors gracefully invite shoreline vistas right to your table as you dine beneath grand ceilings lit by contemporary chandeliers. Chef Bev Gannon's newest venture offers a truly distinctive dining experience where traditional island flavors are embraced by the flair of her own personality delivering a taste of sophisticated culinary elegance right here on Maui. Savor more than just your dish as you indulge in decor rich in textures – touches of bamboo, marble, and lava rock compliment chic artwork and locally handcrafted accents.
Bellevue / Maui
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanksgiving - Maui Style”
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Having spent the last 4 Thanksgivings on Maui -- I have learned to set my expectations accordingly (i.e. not too high). We decided - a year in advance - to eat at SeaWatch this year based on reviews and previous experience. It's one of the best looking restaurants in Maui. Recently, we were told it had changed hands -- and a very special chef "Bev Gannon" had taken it over. We made the mistake of letting that raise our expectations.

A menu that promised "a fantastic Thanksgiving affair with all of the scrumptious food you have come to love from my holiday buffets" was actually the same appetizer menu that was printed on Aug 27 and the entree menu from Oct 30. They added a Turkey special to the menu and choice of Pecan or Pumpkin pie, but otherwise nothing that looked like any extra effort for the holidays. They appeared more interested in shutting the place down for three weeks and ordered their food accordingly.

The menu was full of self-promotion (like everything Bev Gannon) with lots of I's and Me's talking about what was to come -- but Thanksgiving was ho-hum. Having made reservations, we were met with "It will be a little bit of a wait for a table of 4". How long? "We don't know". After a long pause while they tried to figure out where this was going -- they asked us There were better ways to have handled this -- we know, it's Thanksgiving on Maui. Most of the staff looked like they had been hired for the day. And the boss, she just wandered around - and didn't seem to add much. She kinda looked like she wasn't sure why she had bought this place. Fortunately, our server was adequate, and so was Tom the Turkey.

The whole place didn't look quite as fresh as SeaWatch in the past. Worn woodwork, sticky furniture. Closed bathrooms. As they were shuttering the place for a few weeks -- I avoided anything on the menu that might kill me.

She made sure to delete any references to the previous Award winning chef Todd Carlos from their website -- but not his positive reviews.

If you have a good product - you don't need the hollywood hype and self promotion, especially on Maui.

1 Thank Bellviewer

Dallas, Texas
“Quiet and nice”
Reviewed 24 November 2009

My husband and I enjoyed the food and service of this restaurant. He had the steak and I had the pork loin (I know - come to Hawaii and eat those? but we had had a lot of seafood by this time). We arrived early evening without a reservation in November - it was VERY quiet. We had a romantic setting outside, with the moon. The server was attentive and made good recommendations.

Brisbane, Australia
“Service almost surpassed the Food”
Reviewed 17 November 2009

A group of 11 of us ate at Seawatch in November - we were in Wailea for a business meeting. It was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. But I'm getting ahead of myself - firstly it can be a little difficult to find the place after dark - the restaurant is situated at the Wailea Golf Course, but once there, easy enough to find.

I knew we were in for a great experience the minute we arrived - the service was impeccable and Christine our waitress was not only extremely professional, but also warm and friendly. Her recommendations were also top knotch.

The margueritas (both blended and not) were fantastic as were the mai tais. But it was the food that was a standout - Bev's crab dip is not to be missed and was perfect to share for a starter. Everyone had an entree and the beet and blue cheese salad was a huge hit. But everyone enjoyed what they had ordered. For mains most of chose the monchong fish on Christine's recommendation - a pacific deep sea fish - it was like nothing I had had before (although similar I guess to tuna or salmon, but creamier if you can say that about fish). Highly highly recommended. Again everyone enjoyed their mains - and desert, save some room because the entire desert menu sounded delicious.

The setting is gorgeous and I would recommend you go late afternoon and enjoy a drink while the sun is setting. Honestly while the cost is slightly outrageous, it is well worth the money for such delicious food and such an enjoyable experience.

1 Thank Melisa L

Been to Gannon's? Share your experiences!