“Decent course with some good views”

Wailea Old Blue Course
Ranked #18 of 30 Outdoor Activities in Wailea
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wailea Old Blue Golf Course located on Maui, Hawaii is Wailea resorts original golf course. Reserve a tee time online or by phone. Old Blue features ocean views from every hole.
Elgin, IL
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Decent course with some good views”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I would just rate the course average due to the condition of the fairways. While the course is interesting and has some good views, there were many brown spots on the fairways, which surprised me since the courses near Kaanapoli were green and lush on the same trip. I don't know if the amount of rain was significantly different between the two areas on Maui to explain the difference in fairway condition.

Visited January 2014

Toronto, Canada
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“great course but costly...”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I loved playing 'old blue' and do not have any complaints other than I don't believe it is a $170.00 round - I have read some reviews of others saying a great value but I will dis-agree and the one thing I have to say is if I am to pay $170.00 for a round of golf than I should be able to play in and around the 4 hour range and playing 'old blue' took us closer to 5 hours with some very slow players and the marshall not helping in moving play along - I am not the best golfer but I played 18 holes, didn't lose a ball and was waiting on every hole which for $170.00 is un-acceptable - not sure I would play 'old blue' again mostly due to the price and the slow pace of play but as a golf course it was beautiful, in great shape and worth it certainly once - stop in at 'mulligans' for an after round pint is the thing to do - mahalo

Visited February 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice Course, but a Little Slow”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I get it. Old Blue is a classic. The course is fine - in some ways really good, but the amenities - club house, practice area, parking lot, need some work. And so does the pace of play.
My wife and I had a bit of a tight schedule, but were lead to believe that we could finish in a little over 4 hours. We were enjoying ourselves, but we were waiting on almost every shot. A couple of times we hit our drives, not into the group ahead, but close enough that the should have known we were right behind them. Didn't seem to matter, and there was little evidence of a ranger or anybody to do something, even though our GPS monitor was urging us to speed up because we were at least 20 minutes behind. Do you think the people ahead of us might have noticed their monitor?
Anyway, we had to leave before finishing the last two holes.
So if you have the time, by all means play "Old Blue." But don't expect much more than a pretty good course with some great views. The practice area was simply a few green mats and a net hanging limply on a steel frame. There was also a chipping green with a bunker, and a small putting green near the first tee. The pro shop was small and my wife was not inclined to shop for souvenirs. Curiously, the little rest rooms on the course were way nicer than the shabby bathrooms under the pro shop! Maybe that portends things to come(?) I hope so, because with a little work, "Old Blue" could be a great experience.

Visited January 2014
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Old Blue is great value”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The fairways are more expansive and the course is generally more forgiving that the Emarald and Gold course. Whale watching from the 12th hole is fantastic at this time of year. It is fun to play a golf course where you can just grip it and rip it from most tees. A cautionary note, when we played late in the day, there was no course marshall...play can get a little backed up. Conditioning was good and the service very friendly.

Visited February 2014
Edmonton, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A "value" round of golf in Wailea”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Have played the Gold and Emerald before.
Blue is much more forgiving. Vies are not quite as spectacular as the other two, but still great.
Cost is also significantly lower than the gold and Emerald.Played after lunch and were put out early. Staff were all fantastic!!
A great resort course. Not a lot of trouble, so you can play fairly quickly.
Only complaint would be the lack of a driving range ( practice nets to warm up), but otherwise it was a great round of golf.

Visited December 2013