“Overrated”

Wailea Old Blue Course
Ranked #23 of 31 Outdoor Activities in Wailea
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wailea Old Blue Golf Course located on Maui, Hawaii is Wailea resorts original golf course. Reserve a tee time online or by phone. Old Blue features ocean views from every hole.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We played the course anticipating fabulous fairways, greens and bunkers, however, we were very disappointed with the front nine, as the fairways were not well manicured and the bunkers had grass growing in them. The greens were a mixed bag. Some were nice, while others had some disease on them. We felt like we were playing at a municipal golf course paying $65 a round, not $130 a round. We knew we were in trouble when we had no practice area. Unless you call practice nets with holes in them and old practice balls, with cuts in them, acceptable, then you will be disappointed, as we were. We almost decided to cancel our round and head back over to the Gold Course. We decided to stick it out and enjoy being in Hawaii. When we started the back nine we began to feel better about the course. It began to feel like a $130 golf course. The fairways were much better, the views special and more manicured. We enjoyed the back nine and were happy with the end of our round. The course needs some help. Hopefully, someone will invest in new practice nets, golf balls and other amenities for serious golfers. We still loved our trip to Maui and will always remember our golf. Aloha!!!

1  Thank J C

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The views are nice. The course itself is pretty bland. Pretty straight fairways. They time you out at 8 minutes per hole which is pretty tight. I like the gps systems in the cart. The beverage cart only came around once when we were there.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I would just rate the course average due to the condition of the fairways. While the course is interesting and has some good views, there were many brown spots on the fairways, which surprised me since the courses near Kaanapoli were green and lush on the same trip. I don't know if the amount of rain was significantly different between the two areas on Maui to explain the difference in fairway condition.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I loved playing 'old blue' and do not have any complaints other than I don't believe it is a $170.00 round - I have read some reviews of others saying a great value but I will dis-agree and the one thing I have to say is if I am to pay $170.00 for a round of golf than I should be able to play in and around the 4 hour range and playing 'old blue' took us closer to 5 hours with some very slow players and the marshall not helping in moving play along - I am not the best golfer but I played 18 holes, didn't lose a ball and was waiting on every hole which for $170.00 is un-acceptable - not sure I would play 'old blue' again mostly due to the price and the slow pace of play but as a golf course it was beautiful, in great shape and worth it certainly once - stop in at 'mulligans' for an after round pint is the thing to do - mahalo

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I get it. Old Blue is a classic. The course is fine - in some ways really good, but the amenities - club house, practice area, parking lot, need some work. And so does the pace of play.
My wife and I had a bit of a tight schedule, but were lead to believe that we could finish in a little over 4 hours. We were enjoying ourselves, but we were waiting on almost every shot. A couple of times we hit our drives, not into the group ahead, but close enough that the should have known we were right behind them. Didn't seem to matter, and there was little evidence of a ranger or anybody to do something, even though our GPS monitor was urging us to speed up because we were at least 20 minutes behind. Do you think the people ahead of us might have noticed their monitor?
Anyway, we had to leave before finishing the last two holes.
So if you have the time, by all means play "Old Blue." But don't expect much more than a pretty good course with some great views. The practice area was simply a few green mats and a net hanging limply on a steel frame. There was also a chipping green with a bunker, and a small putting green near the first tee. The pro shop was small and my wife was not inclined to shop for souvenirs. Curiously, the little rest rooms on the course were way nicer than the shabby bathrooms under the pro shop! Maybe that portends things to come(?) I hope so, because with a little work, "Old Blue" could be a great experience.