“Our First Family Vacation in Hawaii”

Wailea Ekolu Village Resort
Durham, North Carolina
“Our First Family Vacation in Hawaii”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We rented units 302 (grandparents in their 70s and 40something couple) and 605 (40something couple with 11 and 14 year old). 605 looked quite stylish and had a very nice sunset view, but limited plates/cups/mugs, etc. in the kitchen. 302 was comfortable and had lots of plates/bowls/glasses, etc. so we had a couple group meals there with my brother-in-law using the charcoal grill near the unit as we made salad, baked sliced potatoes, cut up pineapple and papaya, etc. I highly recommend you look at photos of the units so you know who has done some renovations. We were pleased with our accommodations. After lunch one day we drove to Lahaina for shopping before going to the evening luau. On another day we drove the road to Hana (8 hour adventure). And of course we left at 2:45 AM to catch a sunrise up on Haleakalā. With our tourist activities I did not want to spend a ton of money on our accommodations because I knew we would be on the go. I think we selected well. We did have to drive to a couple beaches, but I am not complaining about needing to do that (just letting you know it probably is too far for most people to walk). We were surprised that neither unit had any foil or plastic wrap to cover the few small containers needed for leftovers. Very glad I had brought some sandwich, quart and gallon sized bags on our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Aloha....Thank you for your review of Wailea Ekolu Village. I was happy to read that you were pleased with your accommodations and that we met all of your requirements. I hope that you have many more family vacations in Hawaii planned for the future.

Mahalo nui loa,

Destinations Resorts Hawaii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Our stay here was very enjoyable it is quiet and the view was amazing from the balcony. The Condo itself is very simple but comfortable enough. If you want modern everything this is not the place for you, but our Condo was clean and had everything we needed. The distance to the beach is also something to consider as it really is driving distance. Overall though we were very pleased with the accommodation and nice to get away from the resort style accommodation.

Room Tip: We stayed in #1504 which has amazing views of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Napa, California
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at 1703 and the condo. was great and clean! We tried cooking at the kitchen, used their washing machine on our last day and the gas grill. I don't have any negative comments but just all praises. The owner tried their best to make us feel comfortable and what a beautiful sunset and backyard! We feed the birds in the morning. We wake up in the morning with the singing of different birds!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Aloha.....Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Wailea Ekolu Village. I was so happy to hear that you enjoyed it and that the accommodations met your approval.

Destination Resorts Hawaii
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed at Wailea Ekolu #1406 for 9 nights from April 1-10, 2013. The condo was nice, but at the same time there are several areas that need improvement. Below I have lined out the aspects that I liked/enjoyed and the aspects that I think need improvement.

THE GOOD:

-The owner is lovely and easy to work with
-The management company is very accommodating and quick to address issues
-Great location in Wailea, convenient to dining, shopping and beautiful beaches
-The grounds are very nice and well-maintained
-The condo floor plan is functional, spacious and flows well
-View of the ocean from the lanai was lovely
-Convenient parking without having views of parking lots
-The pools are very nice and were heated to a comfortable temperature

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:
(Of course I acknowledge that some of the issues below are not the fault of the owners.)

-The grounds did not have gas grills, only charcoal
-No hot tub
-The condo unit was not as clean as I would have hoped, it needs a thorough, deep clean.
-The furniture looked dingy and worn
-The carpet in the bedrooms was stained and looked old
-The internet connection was spotty, we connectivity about 30% of our time at the condo
-Very few kids (although this could be a plus for some vacationers) We traveled with our 5 year old daughter and she was constantly looking for a playmate. The people staying at Ekolu while we were there were older.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Hawaiiheaven
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Aloha.....Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback, both good and bad. The one area that deeply concerns me is the cleanliness of the unit and I hope you will accept my sincere apology for not providing you with the level of housekeeping service that you expect and deserve.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We have stayed at Ekolu Village on 4 of our last 5 trips to Maui and love, love, love the complex!

Most recently we stayed in units 703 & 903 (we wanted to rent 305 but it was booked!), and both were wonderful.

The complex is beautifully landscaped and the units in the lower section abut the Wailea Old Blue golf course which provides huge and beautiful green space. There are two well kept pools for guests to use (one in the upper section & one in the lower) as well as several BBQ areas for residents to grill at (the buildings are wood construction so patio bbqs are not allowed unless electric). Several nights we took our veg, Mahi Mahi steaks, Maui beef and pineapple rounds and sat at the picnic tables that are smartly installed at each BBQ and sipped our wine while watching the sunset and revelling in the charcoal grilling of our dinner. Paradise!

The complex is walking distance to the Shops at Wailea, Ulua beach and the Gateway Centre -which houses a great cheese & wine shop and Monkeypod - an awesome restaurant owned by Merriman (our Cheers when we're in Wailea at Ekolu). It is also a great starting point for a run or a cycle.

Staying at a condo instead of one of the luxury hotels in Wailea we not only found saved us a tidy sum of money, but also allowed us to live like a local, to wash our sandy beach clothes and relax in more peace and quiet than a busy multi-roomed hotel provides.

The big thing to know though (and this is BIG) is that the units are all individually owned and with the individual ownership each unit reflects the owner's taste(or lack therof), renovation budget and pride of ownership. So it is IMPERATIVE to look at all the photos of the units you are considering before booking and look for ones that have been recently renovated. Knowing that the units are all privately owned we chose to go through either vrbo (vacation rental by owner) or maui owner condos to find our piece of paradise. (We rented once through Destination Resorts, but didn't like having to track someone down in the mall late at night to get the key to our unit).

All in all Ekolu is an awesome place to stay in Wailea....just be sure to pick the right unit!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChristineM998
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We recently returned from our fourth trip to Maui. Unit 1107 at Ekolu Village was booked with Destination Resorts. Overall, we were disappointed in the unit. If all you wanted was a spectacular ocean view, you would be satisfied. However, if you wanted to spend any down time in the condo, you'd be underwhelmed. This unit obviously hasn't been updated in at least ten years. The first things we noted were the stained carpets and walls, as well as a chair that I wouldn't let my dog sit in. The arms were black with dirt. The kitchen cabinets were basically painted (but not for at least 5 years) plywood. You could wipe the dust off with your finger.Our kitchen lacked basics such as a kettle, paring knife, pot holders, oven mitts and dish drainer. We had 3 place matts and not enough coffee mugs. As for the electronics, the TV's were at least 15 years old (flat screen? you must be joking!) and the sound system didn't work. The WiFi worked intermittently. I turned the A/C on once; loud & annoying. We had an electric BBQ that only worked when it felt like it. To the property manager's credit, they did remove the chair promptly (but didn't replace it) and provided a kettle and new sound system, The master bath was so tight, you couldn't open the shower door and bathroom door at the same time. In our trips to Maui, we have rented elsewhere in the same price range, but this unit definitely is substandard.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank DogtorQB
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 March 2013

First of all, I had done a ton of research to find a good value rental and came across this property and my family (my husband and I, plus my parents) stayed in what was supposed to be a "ocean-front" property-- will get into it later-- with a great view from 2/10-12.

Upon booking (we booked a couple months before), you get a confirmation email with lots of PDF files -- from getting your fridge stocked in advance to helping you find the "check-in" lobby which is different from the property you are staying at. If you are checking in after 9pm, there's an instruction as to what you should do because you have to go somewhere else. MAKE SURE YOU PRINT EVERYTHING OUT. It will come in handy!!

Let me just say that we were coming from Hana and it looked like we would be arriving juuuust after 9pm (by a min or two) I tried to call the front desk to ask if they could wait for us but nobody picked up. We tried to go to the "front desk" located at some shopping mall, but couldn't locate where the office was exactly in the big, unfamiliar outdoor mall in the dark. We scramble to get the address off the PDF for late check-in and their directions made NO SENSE in the dark evening. (really, directions were terrible. Use your map on smartphone or GPS in the car) For late check-in, the guard at the gate of another property is supposed to hold your keys for late arrivals but when we got there, he didn't have any for the night. He said the manager usually drops it off at 9pm but hasn't done so yet. We waited and waited while he called the front desk and night manager in charge to figure out what was going on. We were told after 30+ min or so that the person in charge had "an emergency" and we should just go back to the regular check-in area at the mall. Someone will wait for us there.

We finally get there and check in the room #106. It seems okay and spacious but AC unit in the guest bedroom was so outdated and smelled a bit stuffy. (It looked like those old school cooling fans) We were exhausted so took showers and went to bed.

Next morning, I see a trail of small ants in the guest bathroom. That's weird, since we didn't eat or left any food the night before. especially not in the bathroom. Let me just say that they were there throughout the stay but reduced in number after drowning and wiping them off constantly. I don't little ants here and there (I dont think those little ones bite, to be clear) but the guest bathroom had much more than we would have liked. Oh well.

We had one incident where the door was jammed from inside and we couldn't open with our key. Really frustrating as we were running on schedule. I called the front desk who said they will send someone out. My handy father finally got it to open 30 min later and right at the moment we got a call from them saying they sent someone over. I kindly said we got it to open and didn't need the service any longer. She said I should have called before! I tell her we JUST fixed it ourselves and she said okay and hangs up. Not so amazing customer service.

The WORST blow of it all was... the view. I had called to make sure we would be getting a room with a decent view (my parents were flying in from abroad where they live to be part of this trip) since all rooms are different according to who the rental's owner is. But they said the ocean-front rooms are given to whoever arrives first (for those who booked ocean-front, of course) and they can't put requests. I guess, for arriving late, I got stuck with subpar room? Room #106 was on top floor so I was expecting a nice view of the ocean, which is what we paid for. but we ended up starting at trees all day long. Thanks!!

Overall, below average experience. Also, this place is not walking distance to the the ocean, FYI.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank J P
DestinationMaui, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Aloha….I was very distressed to read your review describing the condition of your unit and your overall experience. Our standards and level of customer service that we set out to achieve are much higher that what you obviously experienced, and for that I must say that I am sorry. I would also like to apologize if the location of Ekolu Village was not properly communicated to you prior to arrival. Some of our units do have ocean views, but unfortunately Ekolu Village is not an oceanfront property and is a short drive to the beach.