“Heavenly holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Heavenly holiday”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had an amazing 7 night stay in this new and super cool property. The decor in the rooms & around the hotel was so beautiful I want the designer to come and redecorate my house! The food was superb- we really loved the farm to table concept at breakfast and the Ka'ana Kitchen. Ate one of the best meals of my life at Morimoto. In fact the food in the resort was so yum- we rarely ate elsewhere. Although by the end of the week we felt like we were running out of dinning options.There is a free shuttle if you want to go to Wailea, with golf, shops and (a few) restaurants nearby. We were blown away by the attentiveness & friendliness of staff- the service was really top notch. I'm a big fan of the Andaz group of hotels and look forward to our next stay in one of their properties.

1 Thank Sarah C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

The wow factor started from the grand grand entrance all the way to the staff uniform. The iPad check in also shows off this new concept. This hotel caters toward the young professional and non-family group. The property is not as large as other hotel nearby, but there are several infinity pools to relax and hangout. The best part about this hotel is their staff and services. They are really friendly and accommodating. They did not nickel and dimes us on amenities like other nearby hotels. The spa facility is nice and free for hotel guests.

The Ka Ana kitchen is amazing and the Morimoto restaurant is also very good.

The rooms are nicely decorated and cozy. Although I like the bathroom decor, it is not suitable for daily usage. Water splashed everywhere when we shower, and we have to put towels everywhere to keep it dry. There are no tub, so bathing a small child is not an option. We had to ask for a detachable shower head to rise our baby.

Overall we had a great time at this resort and will go back again.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Catsinee
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 November 2013

When we arrived at Andaz Maui, we were presented with tuberose leis that smelled amazing. the bellman took our bags and we sat in the lobby with the young man who checked us in. He gave each of us wonderfully scented cool towels as well as a glass of lavender lemonade and a glass of alcoholic punch. They upgraded us to an oceanfront room and he took us to our room. Shortly afterwards, our bellman arrived with our bags. He also gave us each a plastic water bottle to keep as well as a carrying bag. Shortly after that, room service arrived with a bottle of Pinot Grigio and some crackers and fantastic goat cheese, courtesy of the Andaz and our wonderful travel agent.

One of my favorite things about the resort was the shower. It was the width of the room so two people could very easily shower together, and we could see the ocean from the shower. A loofah sponge was provided as well as Malie shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face soap, and body soap. These were liberally restocked. (I am a bathroom amenity hoarder.) The hooded robes were wonderful, and the towels smelled delicious. I had to ask for slippers twice, but eventually I got them.

The slippers were important, because the floor was not carpeted, nor was it particularly clean, so it was almost impossible not to track sand into the bed. This was my #1 gripe. My #2 gripe was the Hawaiian music playing EVERYWHERE. Even with our balcony door closed, we could hear music, and I prefer to hear the birds and the surf.

As other reviewers have noted, non-alcoholic items were free in the minibar. The food items provided were a bag of barbecued flavor pop chips, and 2 Kind Bars - One was dark chocolate nuts and sea salt and the other was almond and coconut. Thanks to that minibar, I am now addicted to the dark chocolate nuts and sea salt flavor, and when we left a note for housekeeping asking for 2 of those we were given 4! That is outstanding customer service.

Throughout the resort the service was fantastic. The staff were all quite young and genuinely enthusiastic about the resort, as well as extremely friendly.

We had 2 meals from Mokapu Market - paninis and salads. They were very good, but the selection was more limited than I would have liked, and everything was premade, so they could only accommodate some special requests. When we went in there the first evening, they asked us where we were from and if we were there for any particular reason. When I told them it was my 50th birthday, I was invited to select a pastry as a birthday gift, which I much appreciated. I chose a chocolate cream cheese cupcake which was quite good.

We had breakfast both mornings at Ka'ana Kitchen. That may be the best breakfast I have ever had! I loved the juice mixologist, and the corn and quinoa fritters were amazing! The service there was fantastic. When I ordered an omelette from the chef, he told me to go sit down and he found me and brought my omelette to me.

Every morning there were a variety of newspapers in the lobby. I grabbed a New York Times and a Wall Street Journal each day. I believe they also had USA Today as well as the local Maui newspaper. They also had fresh sliced pineapple, which was wonderful before our morning snorkeling.

And that leads us to the beach, Mokapu. From Mokapu it is an easy swim around a rock to Ulua Beach, where the snorkeling is fabulous. This alone is a great reason to stay at the Andaz.

My last "complaint" is that the bathroom sink is about an inch deep and not conducive to rinsing snorkel gear or suits, AND, they ask you not to put any clothing out to dry on the balcony, so that makes things a little difficult if you are there to snorkel every day.

Overall, though, it was a fantastic experience, and if they would stop the music (which I know they won't - sadly, I think I'm in the minority with my preference for quiet) and carpet the floors, I would be in heaven.

4 Thank HarshBetty
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Though some renovations were not yet finished when we visited, this is an absolutely beautiful hotel. Updated rooms, beautiful pools and a spacious beach. The staff was incredibly welcoming and the service was was unparalleled. The open kitchen design for the restaurant was really unique and made every meal we enjoyed there a blast. We will definitely be back.

We also did many activities with the Andaz beach crew which really made the trip. The moonlight outrigger ride and paddle board rentals were among our favorites. We got to know Charlie and the beach crew well by the end of our stay. We also used Charlie's company (Blue Soul Maui) for a wonderful trip to Hana. Charlie picked us up from the Andaz in first class accommodations and we enjoyed a completely customized day. We have always wanted to do the road to Hana but were nervous to drive it ourselves. Charlie made us feel more than comfortable. We told him some specific things we wanted to see and not only did he time it perfectly but he added some local destinations that made the trip truly unique. The personalization of the trip, comfortable accommodations, and experience and personality of our guide made the trip WELL worth the value. It was our favorite part of our trip to Maui. Definitely recommend Charlie and the beach crew for any type of outdoor/water activity!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren D
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We visited the Andaz for our Babymoon. One last week in paradise, just the two of us. Overall, we had a really nice and relaxing time. We debated between the Hyatt in Lahaina or this one and went with this one just because it was new. The hotel itself is beautiful. Check in was easy and quick. The guy who checked us in was very helpful, we were quite exhausted though so we didn't go on the tour that he offered us. We went to the Marketplace for a quick dinner that evening (paninis); both ordered the sandwich with turkey; and both felt it tasted quite odd. It came with a dip that was extremely spicy (luckily I hadn't taken a bite yet and ended up scraping it off of my sandwich) and the whole thing had an overbearing taste of seaweed. The next day we went to the Marketplace for something and realized that we were given the wrong sandwich...we were given the one listed above which had beef (I think) and a chipotle dipping sauce -- hence the spice. Mistakes happen, but honestly, there are only a few paninis on the menu. It should have been correct. The breakfast buffet is ridiculous. We ordered a la carte, which was still ridiculous, and ate off site for the remainder of our meals.

The Beach Crew was FABULOUS! They were extremely friendly and helpful. They asked each afternoon if we would be back the next day and then either had chairs set up for us before we got down there or started setting them up just as soon as they saw us. Loved those guys. Also, the Valet guys (and ladies) were amazing as well. Super friendly, engaging in conversation, always gave us suggestions and seemed to genuinely care. I can't say enough good things about them. The front desk crew was helpful when needed (which wasn't really all that often), but friendly whenever they saw us as well.

I suppose the overall location in Wailea was good, but Wailea itself is small and lacks much to do or places to eat. We used the hotel shuttle the first day to go to The Shops at Wailea and to dinner that evening. But after that, we went out on our own either to Lahaina or Kihei for pretty much everything else. At least we could find restaurants and things to do (don't get me wrong, we spent much of our time on the beach, but I can only lay on a beach chair for so long).

I can't speak to the pools. I can lounge by the pool anyday I want, so we spent our time on the actual beach. However, the pools were never busy, usually only had 3 or 4 people in them at any given time.

Overall, the Andaz was great for a relaxing trip for the two of us. Would I return? Not sure...but if we don't, it will only be because of the location (we would probably not stay in Wailea again).

Cameron Park, California
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The reviews I read about this hotel is dead on accurate. The service is fantastic. Everyone has a nice smile for you and they really try hard to make you feel welcome. I won't reiterate all the positives about this hotel and there are many. I want to return to this hotel and I hope they fix some of the minor problems to make this a 5 star gem of a hotel. I hope management reads these reviews and makes the maui andaz a world class experience with some minor fixes.

1) The balcony furniture is not comfortable at all. Virtually no-one was enjoying the wonderful views from the balcony. The egg shaped hanging chair is a nice idea but badly designed. Cushions are necessary or replace them with something comfortable.
2) The wood slats in the bathroom counter in our suite was very pretty but not functional at all. My girlfriends cosmetics kept falling through the slats or tipped over all time. A quick fix would be to add glass on top of the wood.
3) Twice housekeeping had not made up the room in a timely manner. 1st time it was 3 pm and the 2nd time it was 4pm and the room was not cleaned up. I shouldn't have to go down to the pool to get clean towels. I was informed that housekeeping hours were 8 to 4. In my opinion that's to late. It's Hawaii. People wake up early and come back to there room to clean up for dinner or a show.
4) Crank up the heater in the pools a few degrees.
5) A few more flowers scattered throughout the public areas wouldn't hurt. All the public areas are quite beautiful but when you compare maui andaz to the hyatt in kauai or the grand wailea they both win hands down in terms of showing the beauty and lushness that you expect in hawaii.

Overall the maui andaz is a real winner and I recommend it highly. A few improvements and it will be the best hotel on the island.

Thanks for a great stay.

Jim and Susan

4 Thank Jim F
likeseasytraveling
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This property is beautiful-- the pools are spectacular, and the beach may be the best in Wailea. The staff were wonderful, and it was 5 star quality.. all the amenities. The food in the restaurants was spectacular. I'd stayed at the Grand Wailea earlier in the year for a conference, and it had a crowded, Disneyland feel.The Andaz is much classier, and I did not feel nickel and dimed for every service . The snorket and stand up paddle board rentals were actually reasonably priced, and we didn't need to get a ticket for a chair on the beach. We were treated very, very well.

Why not 5 stars? the rooms are teensy.. really small. We didn't spend much time in the room... the beach, pools and lobby were too nice to want to leave, but they were small enough that we didn't want to do anything but sleep in them.The bathrooms are not particularly functional-- the sink is square and flat and so was hard to drain....so forget about trying to rinse out your swimsuit in it ( it was 3 inches deep). And while the staff was awesome, there were so many of them they didn't seem to be able to communicate with each other and couldn't seem to get things right .. like fixing the hot water issue, checking us in ( 1/2 hour) , getting the times of the of the exercise classes right on the weekly agenda, etc. We had problems with the lights and electronic blinds going off and on at all hours.

Note that many of the ocean view rooms are above the bar/ restaurant, and very noisy at night. We asked to move, and they kindly accomadated us. But they moved us to one of the few rooms that looked at a wall.. and the place was only 50% full at best. So we were mildly irked.

I'd stay there again.. but hope they work out the kinks.

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room, ask for one the side facing the tranquility pool and not too close the the...