“Serenely beautiful”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Serenely beautiful”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

We transfered to the Andaz Wailea from the Four Seasons because it was so beautifully designed, the rooms had gorgeous views, and the service was par excellence.
They have a small store for snacks which is open 24 hours, and they also provide free snacks juices and water in the rooms.
The beach area, although not one of the largest, is beautiful and good for kids. Their negative edge pools are stunning, and there is one area reserved for quiet adults.

If we had one complaint it would be that the Hotel Restaurant seems to be trying to be unique a little too agressively; if I had wanted "doughnuts" with my dinner entree, I would have gone to IHop! Morimoto, the Japanese fusion restaurant on the premises, is excellent.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lili W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Having stayed several times at the nearby Grand Wailea I can honestly say that The Andaz blows away the competition!!! Just like so many others have said it really is an amazing experience. What truly sets the Andaz apart is the staff. Part of the appeal is that all staff wear locally sourced clothing and it's "normal" Hawaiian beachwear as opposed to stuffy uniforms. Every staff member we spoke with was so genuine and truly happy to be working at The Andaz. Other unique things about the resort is no front desk. We arrived very late in the evening and were greeting by a staff member waiting with an Ipad to check us in. We were also greeted with a fresh floral leis, fresh squeezed lemonade and a scented towel. The grounds are beautiful and the infinity pools are amazing.

The resort is very focused on sustainability across the board but not in the way where guests are inconvenienced. They do not sell any bottled water but rather the bellman delivery refillable water bottles that guests can refill throughout the resort. In fact, you staff members ask if they can refill your water wherever you go.

Lastly, the resort does NOT charge a resort fee even though they still offer amenities such as complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the resort (and it is fast). I cannot wait to experience the Andaz Maui again very soon.

Room Tip: Definitely want an ocean view room!
3 Thank morristhecatchitown
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This review is written LIVE from the Andaz Maui Hotel, opened in September 2013.

I'm extremely critical of hotels and can always find something wrong that gives me cause to complain, however at the Andaz Maui it's hard to find anything to fault without really nit picking. We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by our personal concierge, there's no queuing at reception, although there isn't really one, you're checked in with an iPad and of course a refreshing drink, you already feel relaxed and you've not even got to your room.

We are in a Deluxe Ocean view room with balcony, a large room with a modern design without going OTT, large comfortable beds, separate bathroom, separate toilet, a rain shower and a bath (not all rooms have a bath). In room there's complimentary tea, coffee,and nibbles and in the mini bar there's complimentary water and soft drinks, there's also alcoholic beverages available for a charge.

There are 5 pools, 3 with infinity views and a separate tranquil pool for adults only out of the way from noise, most are heated ( I hate cold pools) and there's ample free sun beds and umbrellas by the pools and on the beautiful beach. there's also a well equipped gym. The attendants can't do enough, that runs right through all the staff and departments at the Andaz, they all do their jobs as you would expect of a hotel at this level.

There's an ample buffet breakfast in the main restaurant, or choose virtually anything you want a la carte and they'll do their best to accommodate you. Nine of us ate dinner at the Morimoto Maui Restaurant one night, the food was to die for, they had no problems accommodating such a large party, no food delays and everyone ate together, great experience.

I could go on but I'd be missing the sun, you'd need to stay here to experience all the fine aspects of the hotel, one negative comment I do have but it's not a game killer, is the $30.00 a night valet parking, there's no self park facility offered and after staying here for 13 nights it's quite an extra.

My opinion; a stunning well designed top quality luxury hotel with under 300 rooms, I'd say the number 2 property on the stunning island of Maui next to the Four Seasons but both hotels are different in their own ways, I'd return again without a second thought.

Thank you everyone at the Andaz for a memorable vacation.

Room Tip: If you want a bath in the room you'll need to book the right room type.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Eliott C
Guernsey, CI
Reviewed 15 January 2014

First off, I have to say, I am extremely jealous of whoever is reading this review, as it probably means you are researching a vacation in Maui, and importantly the possibility of staying at this truly FANTASTIC hotel!

It's hard to describe just how fantastic our stay at the Andaz was. From the moment we drove up to the entrance, we knew our stay was going to be very special indeed, from the friendly and attentive valets to the gracious and smiling housekeeping staff, the hotel just oozed customer service. We were greeted by a member of the reception staff as we walked through the beautiful entrance and congratulated on our 10th anniversary (which was in our booking) there we were shown around the grounds where the true sense calm and beauty was overwhelming.

We booked an ocean view (and requested a quiet room) which is exactly what we got. Our room was on the far side of the hotel, overlooking the adults only spa pool and wonderful views of the ocean (where on one occasion I even spotted a whale)! The room of course was stunning with the most amazing bathroom I have experienced in a hotel. The free water bottles (where you can top up your water at many filling stations throughout the resort) and flip flops (slippers in USA) were also a great touch (i've never had such a comfty pair of flip flops)! Nothing was too much trouble for the pool staff either (I couldn't even fill my own water bottle up without a staff member taking it off me to do). Food around the pool was also fantastic.

Another great extra was a courtesy car (and driver) to take you anywhere within Wailea, which was great as we really wanted to try The Monkey Pod which is just a little too far to walk. They dropped us off then gave us a business card with a number to call them when we were ready to be picked up, and were there within 5 minutes, with a smile!

Evening entertainment was great, nothing too overpowering, just a number of very talented solo artists plucking away at an acoustic guitar. The new Morimoto restaurant was top class. I can't comment on the breakfast as we never went, but the snacks from the market place were fantastic (make sure you try the gluten free shortbread of they have it on special).

Something we didn't realise until we were half way through our break was just how close the Wailea shopping centre was. It was lovely to take a leisurely stroll there in the morning and grab a coffee from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and make our way back along the waterfront.

Overall, our stay was completely faultless! It was a shame that it was our first stop on our months holiday, as nothing else compared for the remainder of our vacation, but hey, we still have the memories, and are already hoping a return visit will be on the cards...and soon!

Enjoy!

6 Thank Sweetsugar1621
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We can not say enough about this property or it's staff. By most standards this property is small ( under 300 rms) which made it all the more desirable for us. That's not to say that the grounds aren't spacious and well designed. Our room is perfect and is on the ground floor with an accessible walkout to a private pool just steps off our patio. All of the public spaces are beautifully appointed. The staff is very gracious and go above and beyond. We wantedto enjoy our two nights here so we opted to wait and rent a car during our stay in Lahainia. The convenience of the complimentary car service offered at the Andaz has enabled us to shop and dine off the property.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The Andaz Maui At Wailea is truly an amazing place. It's brand new and completely modern. You are treated like royalty from the moment you drive down the driveway. Treated like royalty, but also left alone. Some places in Wailea go overboard with customer service and it almost feels like you're being harassed. Not here. There's people available all the time and near if you want assistance, but they're not chasing after you hoping for a tip.
I've seen a few complaints about them not having a reception desk. Instead they sit you down on a comfortable lounge with a spectacular view with a cold lemonade and a had towel whilst they check you in on an ipad. What is there to complain about? If you want the old school reception desk where you have to wait in a line, stand up for 10 minutes whilst they go through all the hotel facilities....then you're old school and don't stay at a modern hotel. Times are changing and this hotel is doing it right!
We were escorted to our room where we were shown all the facilities and how to operate all the tech equipment. Some people might think this is not needed but not everyone is tech savvy and I’m sure it saves some people frustration later on. Well done. Being proactive rather than waiting for someone to ring up frustrated later asking how to use something.
I stayed in a partial Ocean View Room. It was full Ocean View to me so I was pleasantly surprised. What a stunning room. So modern, I could turn all lights on and off from bith bedsides tables, and operate the blinds from here too. They made it so easy. 2 free water bottles (great water bottles) were included, a little beach net back and some bamboo thongs. It was a pleasant touch. I've still got my water bottles.
Housekeeping did a spectacular job. Room service every day and a turn down service every day. I never had to ring and ask for this to be done. Sometimes you see them in the corridor also and are the happiest of people always wishing you a lovely day.
The cascading infinity pool are a spectacular site. Kids are right down the bottom, so if you don't want to be near them, you don't have to be. Choose whichever pool you want. All have the brilliant service. Your lounge chair of choice is set up and a cold water delivered. You could spend your whole day here. What lovely staff at the Andaz Maui Wailea.

Not many kids at this resort which was perfect. Not too many old snooty people either. They often frustrate me and are just out to find something wrong and complain.

Pacific Dream Photography offer a complimentary photo shoot whilst you're there. Now I wasn't on my honeymoon or anything however we thought we would take up the offer. If you don't like then photo's, don’t buy them. The photographer was so professional. He could tell we had never been photographed like this before so would direct you to do different things and he would capture you at the best moment. He'll tell you to do something weird that makes you laugh, and will capture the moments of laughing. It was just so easy and not uncomfortable at all. It only took 20 minutes, and the photos were extremely amazing. These boys know what they're doing. They are better than wedding photographers! The photos were affordable too. You should really take advantage of this offer. The photos are a lovely memory of our time and such a spectacular resort.

This hotel is truly one of a kind. They have the best pools out of all Resorts in Wailea.
We've also just made a decision to come back at the same time next year. So thank you Andaz Maui and Hyatt Hotels for creating such a spectacular resort/experience.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean View room we stayed in was fantastic!
3 Thank Carly G
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This hotel was our last stop on our island hopping trip to Hawaii. And boy was I glad it was last. Had we stayed here first it would have truly ruined all our other stays. Everything here is impeccable. The hotel was sold out for our stay on the last week of December but it never felt crowded. The one negative here is the $30 parking charge which is definitely a bit steep but the valets themselves are great.

Check in was quick. We were given a beautiful ocean view room. The room while a little smallish makes great use of space. The bed faces the ocean and is super comfortable. There is a very comfortable couch as well along with a nice balcony with great views. The blinds are awesome and work incredibly well to keep light out....too well infact coz you never realize its light out and sleep in late. The bathroom is just wonderful. Beautiful rainfall shower head, great toiletries and very nice design again. The bathroom is also really large.

Wifi is free at the hotel and works very well. Tons of outlets to charge your many devices as well. All the non alcoholic stuff in the fridge is free (honest tea) plus pop chips, granola bars and starbucks via coffee. Note that coffee at the hotel can be had for free if you go down to Kaana kitchen. There is a coffee station kept outside the restaurant. The staff working is incredibly helpful and insightful. Love the arrangement they have for water as well. Basically give you 2 BPA free bottles and you can refill them at the various watering holes spread throughout the resort. An excellent idea. The hotel also sent over a welcome amenity...kahlua pork chutney with some toast. Tasted great and a very different amenity than what one usually receives.

They also serve you the most amazing lavender lemonade at check in. Truly fantastic stuff and are always glad to serve you more of it anytime you ask, which admittedly I did shameless quite a few times. They also have an unadvertised happy hour at 5 PM, serving you the local cocktail of the day...and as much as you want of it.

The infinity pools are beautiful and really nicely designed. It was never hard to find space and the pool staff are constantly on hand to check on you. All except one pool closes at 8 while that one is open 24 hours along with a hot tub. After sundowns, the pools would be completely empty and you could have the place to yourself. Dine at the pool and try the Lobster grilled cheese.

Laundry at the hotel is complimentary in that there is a laundry room. Such an excellent amenity to have access to. There is a Morimoto onsite and the food is just terrific. The the food that truly blew me away was breakfast at Kaana kitchen. Being a little apprehensive at spending almost $50 for breakfast, we decided to give it a go one morning. And boy was it worth it. Just incredible high quality foods available from a fresh juice station to the most incredible white chocolate macadamia nut pancakes. Definitely dine here at least once for breakfast.

The Andaz is truly amazing and makes me wish I had spent more time there. The service is flawless and upon check out we were even given some lovely departure gifts (local hawaii chocolate plus dried papaya and pineapple). The little touches here are awesome, the design is great and the setting just amazing. The staff take care of everything while you just chill. Sure its pricey, but you definitely do get what you pay for here. Easily my hotel of choice in Maui now.

Room Tip: Higher floors. Try to get a room on the wing on the right hand side.
3 Thank sandyjb83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!