“Romantic Serene Ambiance”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Maui, Hawaii
“Romantic Serene Ambiance”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was immensely surprised at how much I fell in love with this resort. Although we had been there on a couple occasions and meandered around, staying at Andaz Maui said it all in regards to standing out in the crowd (of Hawaii resorts). Aside from the exceptionally friendly staff and fantastic food, we could not believe how romantic and sexy it was. Although the rooms are not huge, having the very comfy bed facing the outdoors was just lovely. We were in a regular ocean view so the bathroom was small also, thus, no bathtub. (I understand that the premium ocean view bathroom is bigger with a tub and 2 sinks). What it lacked in size it made up for with the shower!!! Sexy! The big plate glass window looked over the bed and to the….. outdoors! A shower with a view! The overhead rain shower and the fine toiletries were the final touches needed to make a great showering experience. There are very few showers in Hawaii's resorts that have a view. I've been to 3 other resorts that did. It's a fantastic 'value added' for romantic vacations. Walking around the resort at night was magical. The solo guitarist's music wafting into the night air, blanketing the resort in melodies……… the waterfalls in-between the many swimming pools had soft blue lights fixed on the dancing waters and add their own sweet tune to the night air. The resort is at the end of Wailea (north end) so there is no resort next to it on the north and quite a distance to the next resort on the south. It's serene, long gorgeous beach, fantastic stars because it is out of the main Wailea resort area where the bigger hotels are. I can't wait to go back. I hope it's soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a complimentary upgrade at check in, especially if it is your honeymoon, anniversary or spec...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MelissaMcCoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
SoCal
Reviewed 23 January 2014

All of the Hotels in the Wailea area will have friendly Staff, they just seemed a little more sincere about it here at Andaz.

They start off with a nice relaxed feel at check-in, no waiting in a line, you sit down in a lounge with a great view with a drink and towel, and a staff member sits down with you and gets you setup.

I'd say the Hotel room is probably smaller than say the Grand Hyatt Kauai, but they make good use of the Space, AND your Ocean view Room is Ocean View from the Bed. That's nice to have a great view of the ocean while laying normally in bed. I think my wife only set out on the balcony twice, because the view was just as good from the bed. :-)

It's located at the North End of the that nice beach Front Walking path that fronts the Wailea area. Don't worry, the trail ends in a non-penetrable bramble of vegetation to keep those middle class people of Kihei away. :-)

I'd say the Vibe for the look and feel of the Hotel is "Equinox Sports Club". ("Open, Clean, Wood Metal and Glass, if you're not familiar with them. It's NOT "full-on Hawaiian".) I'm fine with that, the only thing I don't like is the Back Ground music is too loud (at both Equinox and the Resort. Not sure why they do that.) There is a more quiet section of the hotel by the SPA area, but the Pools in the main area are bigger and the wife and I like to swim laps in the morning, so it's more convenient for that in the main area.

Several of the main Pools work fine for swimming laps, if you get out in the morning, and the single Jacuzzi has a couple jets that are just strong enough to be "hydro therapeutic". (There are Jacuzzis in the SPA area too. Mens or Womens, nothing Co-ed in the SPA).

One tip here on the Rooms, if you're a Big, White, Furry person (like some of my relatives from Washington and Oregon), they've got a North Facing Wing of Rooms and the bottom floor open up to a wading pool to cool off in. Not my thing, I prefer Sunny South or West facing, but I'd recommended it to some folks.

The Restaurant Morimoto was excellent, and the "buffet Restaurant" was very good too.

My wife enjoyed the SPA, probably had 4 hours of massages, and a couple times just went there to hang out and relax in the evening before going to bed.

They've got a variety of fitness classes in the mornings and my wife usually enjoys those. I liked the morning Outrigger Canoe rides, and there's some OK snorkeling right beneath the Hotel.

You know you're going to be burning money staying in Wailea, and eventually just accept it, :-) but if you made your money by not spending it, the daily Valet fee more than the base price of the rental car is annoying (no self parking), but they don't have a resort fee, don't charge for the non-alcoholic drinks in the room, Wi-Fi, Fitness or SPA facility access... so it balances out. And the Valet folks are excellent. Hard working, more locally seasoned and aware (the Thai food truck tip in Kula was great). The Hotel Shuttle for the Wailea area when we didn't feel like driving or walking worked out fine.

Not a lot of kids when we were there, which is nice if you're old and grumpy like us. :-) For some reason the Four Seasons Wailea always seems like a Day Care center in or out of the main Vacation breaks. It's nice not to deal with that.

There are some Ocean front Villas. Those looked nice, and if I had been there I'd bet that would probably be my favorite place to stay in Wailea.

Thank you Andaz folks, we enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank withwife
Maui, Hawaii, USA
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Beautiful property, it is like vacationing in a Dwell Magazine.
Food is superb (be prepared to pay top dollar - an example is
$12 for 3 onion rings at pool bar) and service is top notch. The rooms are
very stylish, but definitely on the small side. I would recommend this
as a great place for a couples get away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank HawaiianStyle808
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Can't say enough about the quality of the staff. Fantastic! Lobby, beautiful! Overall property very nice. The room, terrible like taking a vacation in a motor home. Furniture could not have been more uncomfortable, bathroom awful!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank JerryH_10
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 19 January 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Andaz at Wailea, we were blown away. We were promptly greeted by the valet staff, who handled our bags and escorted us into the breathtaking lobby. We were checked in by Johnny, who was friendly and helpful. Sherman escorted us to our room, and showed us around the beautiful property. Any request we had during our stay was efficiently handled by the Guest Services team. Every detail was attended to. Every time we'd leave our room, we'd return to a slightly refreshed abode, whether it meant a turndown, fresh towels, or a full cleaning.

The pool was clean, and pool staff was eager to assist with anything and everything. Pool servers were friendly, introduced themselves, and made us feel truly welcome. The valet staff was always on top of things, and always friendly. The complimentary Wailea shuttle was fantastic, and luxurious.

The live entertainment every night was phenomenal, as was the ambience in the lobby as the sun set. We especially appreciated the General Manager's cocktail receptions on Monday and Friday.

This property is amazing. Elegant, yet casual. Effortlessly excellent. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Justin H
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I've stayed in many hotels in the past years, but the Andaz Maui is definitely a one-of-a-kind hotel. From the moment we checked-in, we were always blown away by everything and everyone on property. The lobby is breathtaking, with the sandbox and couches everywhere. We were welcomed with a flower neckclace (after 10 days in Hawaii, I was happy to finally get one!! Great job, Andaz! ) and were invited to come back later for a complimentary welcome cocktail before dinner. The views are amazing, the pools are out of this world... I could of stay in that lobby forever. We booked a Garden View room (yes, Maui hotels are very expensive...but the Andaz's worth every penny!!!) so we were very disappointed to get a parking view. We called downstairs and they offered to upgrade us to a Partial Ocean... for a cost. Afterwards, we were absolutely delighted with our new room and almost forgot about that sad episode. They have a 24 hour Market : absolutely perfect, we would grab coffees and breakfast sandwiches quickly in the morning and sometimes snacks in the afternoon. The 2 restaurants on site are amazing. Ka'ana Kitchen is very good and the restaurant is beautiful, and the new Morimoto offers gorgeous views of the ocean. They also have complimentary snacks and drinks in the minibar (refreshed daily)... very thoughtful and convenient. Free wi-fi all over proprety (thank god! it was about time luxury hotels start offering the wi-fi to their guests...) and a complete spa with jacuzzi, sauna, etc... top of the line and absolutely free. We absolutely loved our stay and enjoyed everything about the hotel. They have a lounge for guests who are checking in/out with showers, tv, computer, etc. We stayed there after check out while we were waiting to go to the airport. Very convenient, again. They really thought about everything ! We visited the Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons next door, and were so happy with our choice. The Andaz is really a unique hotel, and I'm confident to stay is the best option on the island of Maui. We'll be back

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Partial Ocean View. For the price of the Garden Room, you absolutely dont want a parkin...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

We transfered to the Andaz Wailea from the Four Seasons because it was so beautifully designed, the rooms had gorgeous views, and the service was par excellence.
They have a small store for snacks which is open 24 hours, and they also provide free snacks juices and water in the rooms.
The beach area, although not one of the largest, is beautiful and good for kids. Their negative edge pools are stunning, and there is one area reserved for quiet adults.

If we had one complaint it would be that the Hotel Restaurant seems to be trying to be unique a little too agressively; if I had wanted "doughnuts" with my dinner entree, I would have gone to IHop! Morimoto, the Japanese fusion restaurant on the premises, is excellent.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lili W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!