“Great staff and property, overpriced and limited food”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
vancouver
“Great staff and property, overpriced and limited food”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Andaz for a celebratory anniversary/birthday trip, taking in five nights at the gorgeous property. If you were looking for a beautiful place to stay, but are willing to walk/drive elsewhere for affordable food and souvenir shopping, consider this hotel.

Pros:

The Andaz Maui has done a remarkable job in its design, creating pool spaces and environments where almost without fail you will find a spot that feels tranquil and uncrowded. There are multiple pools and levels, and you will definitely find a spot to suit your needs. The foliage and flowers are lovely and complement the exterior spaces, while the water features and fountains have lighting to bring out the best in them. The chairs were all adjustable and comfortable and the firetables were a great touch. You also had a fantastic view of the sunset from almost any tier of the pool! The lobby was likewise gorgeous and a design marvel, with a long open balcony to look out over the grounds to the water as well as a sandy seating area with skylight. At the Four Seasons in Wailea, pool seating was frequently a hard to find commodity, and forget getting a spot at the so-called adults only serenity pool. The Andaz got it right on this score.

This is a green hotel, so we had water bottles we could refill at water stations on every second level. This was an admirable effort on the part of the hotel but I imagine some might find it annoying to be made to serve themselves. The menus, hotel guide etc were all non-paper, and accessible only by television. Another good idea, but in practice a bit iffy if your significant other or family are tired and sleeping while you would like to browse for the hotels amenities. Imagine a flickering tv in your darkened room. Not such a good thing, but every idea tends to have pros and cons.

Service is excellent, the staff are all friendly and helpful and truly seem to enjoy their jobs. The beach crew were fun and helpful, but remember that they are the beach crew - they help you with water sports, set out your chairs and umbrellas, and keep an eye on people in the water... they are not your personal concierge - don't ask them to leave their posts to get you stuff you can do yourself - that's not their job. I saw someone do this and cringed.

Cons:

For a hotel with its price range, you expect the Andaz to respect the guests and their choice. We have previously stayed twice at the four seasons, which per room is only slightly more expensive, but that hotel had a large variety of menu options for the light eater to the ravenous foodie. As a light eater, I felt my breakfast options at their restaurant were to either fork out $45 for the all you can eat buffet and pick out my tiny meal while seething at the price tag, or pick one of five menu options. Additionally there were no printed drink options like smoothies or juice, you instead had to ask what was available. I'm no smoothie chef, I don't know what goes in my drinks and I'd rather a tried and true option be present to pick. I honestly felt like they were trying to trap me into paying for the buffet and this rankled, as most of the five other menu options were generally not on the light or healthy side. The other option was to go to their tiny market, and pick something there. It just didn't feel well thought out, and if it was, then it seems worse as an obvious money-grab.

Cocktails were around 16 dollars poolside. A light lunch bill with one drink each came to $100 per couple. And I ordered an appetiser, which was oversized and priced accordingly.

As I said, we have stayed at the Four Seasons in Wailea and being cheap is not the issue. Its having the option to eat light, which is simply not present.

Shopping is likewise not the best. The spa has a small clothing and apparel shop, which is dimly lit and in the back. There is a 24 hour market that sells chips, snacks, muffins, sandals, sunglasses, some odd books and condiments etc, but there is nothing very souvenir or giftlike that I would have bought. We ended up walking to the shops at Wailea for our needs in that department. They could remove some of the meeting rooms and employ those spaces for more shops, because aside from hot sauce and the odd early morning coffee, I didn't use the store.

Last notes:

We also dined at Morimotos, the exquisite restaurant on the property. Very pricey, but worth it for the experience and the food. Don't expect it to be your nightly go to, although we DID choose the chef's dinner (omakase) which lasted three hours. It was a birthday and as a special occasion it was a wonderful treat. Your Hyatt card points however, do not apply to this third party vendor so don't expect to earn anything on your card for it! Not complaining about that, but its worth noting if you were hoping for it.

We almost never ate lunch at the hotel. Instead, we took the five to ten minute walk to the shops at Wailea for late breakfast at Longhi's (excellent) or to the Four Seasons for breakfast at Duo or lunch at Ferraros. We also did make a grocery trip to Kihei for alcohol and snacks, which I highly recommend you do if you're a nibbler.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but the first couple of days got under our skin due to the food issue. Its such a tiny thing, but offering lighter food options with appropriate pricing on the menus (restaurant and poolside) would have us seriously considering this as the best option in Wailea. Its so beautiful and seems such a shame. As it is though, food is such a large part of many a tourist's trip, and it rankled that we had to either leave the property to dine and feel like we weren't ripped off, or stay and feel more the fool for forking out.

9 Thank tententen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Everything about the hotel was outstanding with modern decor - the lobby, rooms, views etc. Very clean hotel - hope they are able to maintain that.
Service was very prompt.
We had a partial ocean view room facing the pools and we enjoyed the atmosphere there. Would definitely love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view is recommended
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This trip was with two girlfriends and myself. We originally booked 5 nights at Makena Beach thinking it would be nice enough and would save us a few dollars. After checking in and staying one night we decided to ditch our reservation there (and pay a hefty penalty) to move over to Andaz. Although there was a huge price difference we were absolutely happy we made the decision to move. From the minute we pulled up to the curb, valet guys were there to greet us and help us with luggage and guest services whisked us away and to give us the overview of the hotel and have us checked in. We were so impressed with the decor and cleanliness of the hotel and room. The complimentary snacks and beverages provided daily in the room were nice to have. Loved the 24hr market, fitness center, jogging trail, pool, beach was beautiful, and service everywhere was superb! I love this hotel! Can't say enough great things about it. Looking forward to coming back one day!

Green Features: Linens are washed every third day, they provide water bottles that can be refilled vs using disposable water bottles, linen towels provided in public area restrooms instead of paper towels
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank nyao888
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Andaz Maui and have nothing but wonderful things to say and even better memories to bring home. The whole experience from start to finish was simply amazing. Everyone was so genuine and so happy to make our experience the best. We have stayed at a couple of places in Maui but the Andaz has made forever guests out of us! The room restaurants pools service beach all perfect. Thank you.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view....it's worth it. You can shower and stare at the ocean. What's better tha...
Green Features: All information can be found on your tv. No more bulky room books or daily activities list. Also the wooden utensils by the pool are pretty epic!!
Princeville, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is my first review on Tripadvisor and after staying at the Andaz, I felt compelled to let everyone know about this resort. The primary reason I've given it a rating of 5 is the top-notch service. From the valets, to the guest attendants and poolside service, everyone was incredibly friendly and would go the extra mile to get you what you needed/wanted. An example is when I asked for a drink at the pool that they served in one of the restaurants. Instead of saying "I'm sorry, I don't have that," the waitress ran around the hotel to find everything she needed. They made my husband and I (on our honeymoon) feel welcome and well taken care of throughout our entire stay. We also spent part of our honeymoon on Kauai, staying at the St. Regis. I have to say, the service at the Andaz is superior!
A few additional comments. The pools are lovely and we were certainly thankful for the adult only pool. The only criticism that I have of the hotel is the somewhat awkward layout of the room, particularly the bathroom. We had the deluxe ocean view room and the higher price was worth it! Finally, I can't say enough good things about the food. The Ka'ana Kitchen was amazing!! Again, spectacular service, with attention paid to every detail. I can't wait to go back!

1 Thank Tara L
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were there on our honeymoon and stayed at The Wailea Marriott. During our time there we went and ate at Ka'ana Kitchen for dinner and let me just say, it was hands down the best meal we had there! Jim was our server and he was AMAZING! Thank you for a beautiful evening and amazing service and knowledge! We will be going back there and staying at that hotel when we go back to Maui!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Megan S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I've stayed several places on Maui, and this is by far the best. Check-in was quick, even though there was a conference and local prom going on when I arrived. The staff was wonderful - all seemed happy and genuine. The room, while not large, was well-designed. The bed was also very comfortable. I can see where some might find the closet too small, but I always pack light for Maui, so this was not a problem for me.

The breakfast buffet was awesome - although expensive. Food in the Mokapu Market was fresh and provided a quick alternative. There was never an issue getting a spot by the pool at any hour, and service by the pool staff was prompt and friendly, without being intrusive. I also had a massage and a facial at the spa, which was amazing! And no upsell during the treatment, like I had experienced at the Four Seasons.

Yes - it was expensive, but worth every penny. I'm already planning a return trip for next year.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tracy S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!