“Sleek & modern” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Sleek & modern”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We loved this hotel, it was modern and new. We loved Kahana kitchen and thought the food was great. We stayed in a king room that had sliding doors out onto a grass area with sun lounges. I loved the modern shower and we had great storage with a wardrobe and plenty of hanging space.
We were very well looked after around the pool areas and loved the resort.

1 Thank Fionaeid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I would give this place 5 stars but didn't feel it was a polished as I'd had hoped. The staff is really young and sweet but a little novice in customer service. Don't get me wrong they were accommodating but I'd have to point out things to get service.

The whole resort was breathtaking. The food at the Kahane kitchen was stellar - I really appreciated the professionalism and kindness of Nico - Director of Food and Beverage. From the first day we got there he was jovial and always had time to chat with us. We appreciated meeting him. He was also so kind to send macaroons and drinks up to our room in honor of our honeymoon! Nice touch!

After the fourth day we were there we started to feel like service was really warming up. Everything was lovely and we would definitely go back.

The rooms were a little small and the bathrooms unwieldy. The doors to the bathroom, toilet and closet are very similar and it takes you a minute to get used to where everything is. Ladies watch your nails there aren't door knobs so you have to pry the doors open and my nails fell victim.

The turn down service every night was nice but the hours (9pm sometimes later) were not ideal. We also missed not having a bath in our room nor having the option to upgrade our room (despite it being our honeymoon). Apparently the hotel was fully committed. boo. Also upon our arrival, we weren't greeted with any treats in the room for our honeymoon. They eventually offered us a tub treatment at the spa after we asked. We received acknowledgment of our honeymoon in Oahu so were expecting something from the Andaz. Nonetheless, we appreciated the treatment.

The Andaz is in a word cool, but new. There are some kinks that need to be worked out but I realized that and thus I am going to give it 4 stars. I realize it's quite a job running a hotel but also notice the special touches from Nico and others. Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a bath
Green Features: I liked the purified water and water bottles they provided. The water efficient toilets were great too.
1 Thank Esteria13
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I did not have a tripadvisor account until visiting this hotel, but I felt the quality of the property, staff, and facilities was deserving of a positive review. For someone who has visited high-end hotels quite extensively, I must say that the Andaz Maui at Wailea was a real treat. The hotel itself is gorgeous - minimalist, understated, while keeping a high-luxury feel. The open-concept lobby is refreshing and inviting, while the rooms are comfortable and distinctly Hawaiian. Further, the pool deck and beach-front are easily accessible, perfectly sized, and the 24-hour hot tub didn't hurt either.
The true gem of this property, however, is its staff. Almost every encounter I had was professional, genuine, and friendly. Just a few individuals I would like to single out include Alex at the front desk, Brian, our bellman, Nina at the pool bar, Anthony and Lex in the restaurant, and especially Lynette in guest services. Their attention to detail and commitment to our visit are unmatched among other hotels I have stayed in. As my friend and I were only in for the weekend, we certainly weren't the highest paying guests on site, but you would not have been able to tell from the service we experienced. Thank you for a refreshing, revitalizing, and fun weekend trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Rancho cucamonga, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a very short trip. We really enjoyed the modern look of the hotel and the chic feel. The rooms were modern with automated black out shades which were amazing and the bathroom was awesome with an open rain shower.
Service was very good at check in.
This is a good hotel for a more modern, chic experience. If you are looking for a more classic hawaiian type room/resort this may not be right for you.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tiffkat2000
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I rarely write reviews for anything, but had to post one for my recent stay at the Andaz Maui Wailea. It was the best hotel experience I've ever had. I went there for my 40th birthday with 10 friends. I couldn't possibly say one thing negative about this hotel. From the first step into the property to exiting a week later, it was truly incredible. The staff and concierge were courteous, knowledgeable and engaging. Everyone seemed to really enjoy their job which certainly reflected in my overall experience. I would highly recommend this hotel. I won't stay at any other hotel when I return to Maui.

Room Tip: Ocean View or Partial Ocean view are both exceptional rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
San Ramon, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel had distinct positives and negatives. First lets talk about the positivies. The Andaz is new and squeaky clean with a young, upbeat and energetic staff. Among the staff the valets and housekeeping are top notch. On the other end of the scale the pool attendants were hard to find and the pool drink servers were few and far between. Despite the pool service the five infiiniti pools are well done and the hotel sits on a great beach. Well, for the positivies that's about it.

Now the negatives (and there are a lot of them so we will be concise) For openers the check in was quick with a hand off to the bell man for escort to the room and an explanation of room features. That is where it ended. The bags were placed in the middle of the floor and the no explanation of room features was forthcoming. Ok, now the room and this is where things start to go downhill fast. The rooms are small, decorated white on white, very stark, and totally lacking in any hint of Hawaii. There is no place comfortable to sit in the room including the lanai. The lanai chairs were not meant to be sat upon. There is no storage if you want to unpack, room for only one medium size bag in the small closet. This is where it became very clear the rooms are designed for not more than a 3 night stay. If you are staying for a week or more there is no place to put your stuff including any place to hang a wet bathing suit. The bathroom looks like something you would find in a low end cabin on an aging cruise ship (very small). The shower is a rain shower head and a shower pan with no walls, if you dare move or splash you will either flood your bed (which sits exactly six inches from the shower) or you will flood the bathroom floor. There is no sink, just a flat slab with a drain with water that only runs at a trickle to once again avoid flooding the bathroom. The bathtub can only be accessed on one side by passing through the shower with a fill nozzle that is so small it took 90 minutes to fill the tub half way (actually tried it once). We could go on and on about the negative aspects of the hotel room; this is by far the poorest design and disfuctional hotel room ever placed in a hotel that aspires to achieve 4 or 5 star status - a tragic design miss all around. Without going in to great detail the food in the hotel is overrated and very expensive for what you get ( try much more expensive than the 4S).

Next issue is the "vibe" created in the hotel. This is south beach comes to Maui with soft hip hop music playing throughout the hotel from 9am to 9pm. After a couple of days it seems like audio water boarding. Hyatt created this hotel for the 35 and under segment of the population. Those over the age of 50 that were here looked and felt out of place ( including us). If you value the Aloha spirit, a comfortable room to shower and dress for dinner, stick with the 4S, the Farimont, or the Ritz.

We tried the Andaz and we will not be back.

Room Tip: For an oceanview room pick the 6th floor or higher.
Green Features: The water bottle and water filling station is a good idea but appears not to be working well including raising some potential serious sanitation issues. After a few days where can you wash your water bottle?
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank CAFlyfisher2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was at the Andaz for the start of my honeymoon. Maui is a fantastic place so definitely go there but avoid this hotel. How it is rated so high on here I do not know. Rooms are small and not functional. Supposedly they have 100s of honeymooners as one of the staff told us on arrival which explains the two small pieces of chocolate we got to congratulate us on our marriage! WHAT A JOKE! I have been to many 5 star hotels but non have given us as little information on the area let alone their hotel facilities as this one. The valet were decent but for 30 dollars a day that should be expected!But the bar staff were a joke and rude. The guy slammed the drinks menu in front of my wife and looked like watering down the drink. The general service was so bad by then we spoke to the manager who gave us credit for our dinner and sparkling wine but by then it was too late. We went for dinner on our last night and were promised great service with special care from the manager the previous day. Instead all the good tables were full and we sat near the kitchen. Another promise with zero outcome, basically explaining everything about this hotel. My only impression was they were there to take and make money with no service care or attention to detail. The food in their restaurant was overpriced and basically bland. Overall the hotel and staff should have a look at themselves as they did a disservice to two honeymooners. So avoid this hotel as there are better ones just down the road!!!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
24 Thank Mehdi K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!