“Definition of "Garden View"”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Group of us stayed here for our friend's wedding.
Reception area had spectacular view of the ocean with sandy floor, very impressive.
The Lavender Lemonade they served was to die for. It was the best welcome drink I've ever had.
Checked into the room, checked the amenities - great, complimentary drinks in the room were surprisingly generous and so were the granola bars and little snacks. It was a so-far-so-good type of deal until I opened the screen curtain...instantly put :( on my face.
GARDEN VIEW meant "PARKING LOT VIEW"
I was expecting grass and trees at least, not full of cars and concrete.
My friends got pretty much the same view and we all agreed that we shouldn't be facing parking lot for $500 a night.
My friends complained and got their room changed, but it became "partially" garden view but still facing the parking lot.

It was really unfortunate about the view, because everything else about this hotel was really awesome.
Ryan at the reception was super helpful with my request.
Would I stay again? Yes, as long as I get my room assigned at the right side of the hotel :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank ekkachan s
Write a ReviewReviews (2,830)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Pros: Wonderful greeting service (you get greeted with leis, water/lemonade, and an introduction to the property/ check in is via iPad), beautiful infinity pools, and a gorgeous beach with this unique darker tan colored sand (when paired with the golden sun is just amazing!)

Cons: Primarily that the rooms are smaller, compared to most of the 4-5 star luxury hotels that I've stayed at (Four Seasons, Ritz, St. Regis). I had booked a partial pool view room, was upgraded to a full pool view room, but even with the upgrade, the room's view was mostly of the stairs that led to the pools. I didn't mind that much, as I spent most of my time outside of my room, but the mediocre size and view of the room is the reason why this review is only 4 stars out of 5.

Tips:
1. If you are considering getting a lei greeting at the airport ($25 per lei), save the money b/c you get gorgeous leis at the Andaz! They are white orchids with white tuberose for women so they smell amazing and look pretty. Men get these leis with what looks like dark bead-like shells - not as fragrant but obviously longer lasting.

2. Best spots for sunset - I stayed in Hawaii for 2 weeks across 5 properties but Andaz was my favorite spot for sunsets. If you're into photography, I would recommend standing at either A. the green patch of grass next to Morimoto, so you can capture / watch the sunset between the beautiful palm trees, or B. up top by the pools so you can capture / watch the sunset with its reflection on the 4 pools.
Of course the beach is nice to watch the sunset but there isn't much else there to frame the photo.

3. I love the Iron Chef, but Maui has some amazing sushi places that costs significantly less than Morimoto - e.g. Sushi Paradise in Kihei or Miso Phat up in Lahiana - they both have simple, super fresh, melt-in-your-month sushi.

Enjoy!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Amy C
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Everything was very good and wonderful experience .The resort has been well thought out and no doubt will lead the way for future resorts.Only slightly negative things were abit of noise from people in the hallway and neighbouring rooms.This could be over come by getting a room near the far end of the hallway.Our room also had a clicking noise from the water system.On the Sunday afternoon a few over exuberant kids in the pool spoiled it slightly but the staff tried hard to keep them under control,we suspect they were guests visitors kids by what was happening.These things are very small and we still enjoyed our time at Andaz and would love to come again and would recommend it to anyone who wants a great break,This is what many people only ever dream of but at Andaz it is real!

1  Thank Grant R
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely beautiful and modern, the resort has 3 pools and an adult only pool. We were greeted right away when we arrived, and made the check in process very easy. I must say this is probably the most relaxing resort I ever stayed in.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As others have mentioned, the views (especially from the hotel lobby) are great- the staff also very helpful. We generally prefer small hotels and Hyatt has figured out how to make their Andaz provide the small-hotel experience in a bit larger sized property. Back to the staff- all friendly and helpful (very impressed with Alex G, a "resort host"- he spent a lot of time with us making sure that everything that we wanted was taken care of- he even remembered our names after a full week- much of what a boutique hotel is about).
The "exchange rate" is a bit steep in the hotel restaurants- we ate at both and are used to expensive restaurants, but these two felt a bit more expensive than others in the area.
Our only other observation was with written requests to the maids- usually well responded to, but not always (we expect in a boutique hotel not to have to ask twice).
Overall, way to go Hyatt/ Andaz!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

From the moment you arrive in the drive you are taken care of. I love the 'no check in desk' concept that is making its way to even the major chains. It is nice after that crazy long flight to be escorted to a comfortable seat with a view of the property and the ocean while you wait for your keys to be brought to you. After check in and a quick costume change we were poolside with a bottle of Veuve, the only way to watch a sunset to die for. Every single poolside waiter was helpful and attentive. The market has great iced coffee and the cutest trinkets. Don't miss the spa for fabulous shopping featuring local designers. The room was a little tight (we had 2 queens so the king room may be more roomy) but who stays in the room with that pool! Our dinner at Ka’Ana Kitchen was fabulous. Might sound crazy but I think I miss the valet guys the most, they were so helpful and funny! A few Maui tips…don’t miss Monkeypod, Paia, Kehei Café, Coconuts Café and since you are up early anyway walk to the beach, turn left and walk as far as you can on the path turn around and come back. That helps you not feel guilty about all the drinks at the pool. Maholo everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Donna B
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Being the newest resort in Wailea its also the most modern. The resort and pool area is beautiful. The rooms are small, but extremely efficient and still relaxing. I loved that the room had automatic privacy shades and black out shades, and the AC worked better than most any resort I have stayed. Bed however was a little on the hard side.

The resort had very few kids/families (compared to the other Wailea hotels I have visited), which was a huge plus for my wife and I.....My wife is a teacher and obviously doesn't want to listen to screaming kids on her vacation.

We picked the Jetsetter package that included breakfast at Kaana kitchen, which was wonderful. The breakfast was spectacular every morning, however probably wouldnt want the breakfast for more than a few days in a row. Whoever decided to serve bacon fried rice on the breakfast buffet was a genius.

1  Thank Mike J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!