“A Beautiful Hotel with Few Limitations”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A Beautiful Hotel with Few Limitations”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our family arrived at night and we had great first impressions. The hotel is beautifully designed with three cascading infinity pools each complementing the view of the beach and ocean. Each room is visually stunning and luxurious. The room seems a little compact at first because of layout but becomes more accommodating and relaxing as you get used to it. Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks are stored and replenished in your room daily (usually late morning) and are great way to start your morning before heading to the beach.

The beach is directly in front of the hotel and not a very long walk from your room. Make sure to be at the beach early in the mornings (7:00ish) so the beach crew can set up your lounge chairs and umbrella on the front row. Also, they begin to run out of chairs and spots around 9:00ish so don't be on the late side. There is spectacular snorkeling to the left of the hotel as you will probably see others already jumping in pretty early. The reef is shaped like a semi-circle and can be accessed easily from the left or right side of the lava rocks. You might see a turtle at the tip of the reef but it doesn't happen often.

For the courageous snorkelers: Ulua beach, the last beach to the left of the Andaz, has wonderful snorkeling but can be a long swim to get to. Enter at the very end of the beach and if you continue swimming adjacent to the rocky shoreline, you will run into many sleepy turtles on the bottom of the reef. It is truly spectacular and worth the lengthy swim. If you go down even further, there are some amazing lava rock formations with colorful coral.

One of the negatives to this resort was mandatory valet parking. On some occasions, we had to wait for our car for a lengthy period of time even though the parking lot is only 50 or so yards away. Also, the complementary spa facilities were a little disappointing. Other than that, it is a very beautiful hotel and our stay was definitely spectacular and one to remember!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor. It gets pretty busy on the bottom floors near the pool and lobby. Of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank auboy123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel entrance is spectacular. I loved the open concept giving a beautiful view as we walked in. The staff is warm and welcoming. The room was tastefully designed with a shower behind a glass wall giving view on the room as well as outside.
The four swimming pools give plenty of lounging space.
The only complaint I have is when we showed up around 10:00pm for dinner at the Japanese restaurant we were told we had 3 minutes to order because they were about to close the kitchen.
The surroundings are perfectly manicured and absolutely breathtaking.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor gives access to the lobby without having to take the elevator
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hustach
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived on 7/4/2014 at 2:30 pm at the hotel. Great start. We were amazed by the view from the lobby. 4 tier pools, beautiful ocean, and the service of friendly check in clerk was great. The partial ocean view room was better than the full ocean view room. From the 6th floor ( I read on TripAdvisor to request 5th or higher floor) partial ocean view room , we see the other half of Maui and the ocean. The cloud on top of mountain and the sun rise, sun set were just breath taking. Dinner at Morimoto was fantastic! I ordered spicy crab leg as an appetizer and my husband got a roll. For entrée, I got Chirashi sushi and the raw fish toppings were so fresh! The rice was very good. My husband got the seafood to an yaki which was soooo good!

The local beer was also refreshing.

Try the lobster sandwich at the pool side for lunch. Excellent. Better than four seasons Maui lobster salad.

Unfortunately, on the 3rd night when my husband took a shower, he cut his foot. He was bleeding and saw something stuck on his back of his foot and it was a piece if shattered glass. I used my tweezer to pull out the piece. I went back to the area to see if I see any other pieces and to our surprise there were many around the entry way to the shower and under the sink. They look the same color ( green) as the glass cups in the bathroom. Since we did not break any glasses , most likely the housekeeping dropped while cleaning the glass. I cleaned the immediate area and kept some pieces to show the manager. Since we had dinner plans that night, we waited till next AM to talk to the manager. She was mortified and sent housekeeping to clean the room. She also said she will comp our lunch that day which was very nice. BUT, when we returned to the room that evening, the glasses were still everywhere. Looked like these pieces were missed. Thank god we did not walk bare foot. This time they sent the executive manager to clean the room. She did a good job the second
time. This was NOT acceptable to me. Very poor follow up and sloppy cleaning!

When time to pay the bill, the lunch was not even comp. We had to explain to the check out clerk what the manager told us. I've worked in the hotel industry before so I know how follow up and follow through are important part of the job. We'll Andaz failed me. Very disappointing. We were nice about this injury but now I feel that they took advantage of our nice attitude. Follow up and follow through were very POOR!

This experience made our vacation just ok.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank NI91403
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We just returned from our 4 night stay at Andaz Maui. To be honest, this has been the best resort stay ever for us. The hotel lobby is simply breathtaking with great contemporary and crisp looks. The customer service at this resort is topnotch. You will see smiling and customer friendly faces everywhere. They have some very good restaurants at the hotel. The breakfast buffet at Kana Kitchen is simply out of the world and hands-down the best breakfast buffet we ever had.

If you can, please try to get a ocean view room to fully enjoy your vacation. Overall, Andaz Maui is a true paradise with great customer service and easy access to beach from the resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vka30
Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2014

First, this hotel has been recently redone, so every part of this hotel is modern and luxurious. Second the staff provide top notch service. We even had a (very minor) issue on check-in, after a very long day of travel, and the hotel manager stepped in personally to help! The restaurants here new, and terrific. Marimoto's has great sushi, and the Kitchen other amazing dishes available, with a great mix of local seafood, meats, and fresh fruits/vegetables.

In short, this was an absolutely great place to stay!

Room Tip: Definitely choose a partial ocean view, or full ocean view. The Garden view includes both the garden...
Green Features: Recycling and other eco-friendly practices are in full effect at this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheHappyTraveling1
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I returned from 5 nights with my two daughters, 18 & 21 plus my husband. Our room was 521 and it had an ocean view with two queen beds, which is hard to get. The rooms are lovely and have a clean modern feel. The bed and pillows very soft and plush, got a great night's sleep.
The entire property has been designed to be relaxing, beautifuly showcase the ocean views. I loved the check in process! No front desk, no lines. From the minute we pulled up in our car, we were greeted, someone took our bags, welcomed us with flower leis, escorted us to the lobby to take a seat, offered us cold scented towels, ice water or lavendar lemonaid while they checked us in. That was the begining of the best five days of my life!
The beach had fantastic snorkeling and we saw giant sea turtles everyday. No one wears a name tag but you know you is there to help you because they are always near when you need anything. The infinity pools are a great idea! They allow for guests to not feel crowded.

My daughters and I had the ultimate spa day. We did the one where we selected our own scrubs and lotions to be used. I had a detox wrap and lomi lomi massage. My daugther had a facial and massage and the other picked 2 hours of massage! Each of our therapists we said was the BEST. The spa itself had large, separated men and woman's areas for steam, hot sauna, jacuzzi and every amenity known to man. The waiting lounge was peaceful and well appointed too. It was expensive but worth every penny since the service was so fabulous. I get alot of body work done and usually a hotel spa is not that great since they figure they will not see you again soon. This spa was the exception!

We loved the bar food and it was such high quality and yummy. We did eat dinner one night at the Ka 'ana Kitchen and did not like the fussy food. The menu was a play on standard dishes but too "innovative" for me to like. We all picked a different dish, one steak, fish, chicken and seafood and none were anything to wow us. I guess we are not hard core foodies? It was expensive and my expecations were high so after that dinner we did eat there again. I am told the breakfast buffet is wonderful, but it is $45 per person and I was happy with other options.
Even Morimoto's, which we ate at did not blow me away. I love sushi but this was very good not excellent and of course expensive. There is a nice 24hr market with food, wine, coffee, and the gelato is out of this world. I also loved the steel cut oatmeal.

This is my new favorite stay on Maui. I was pampered the entire time by the best service from everyone I encountered. I liked the fact that it is a smaller place and not overrun by children. Most of the kids there, their parents kept an eye on so they did not run wild and bother everyone. I hope it does not get to popular with families with kids since that would change the vibe. I have found too many times parents just forget about their kids and the kids spoil the relaxation of being in such a lovely place. I am not a kid hater just do not like how many act at nice resorts, they get attitudes. I plan to return and look forward to my next trip here.

Room Tip: rooms over looking the adults only pool, by spa are quiet and have ground level walk in private pool...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Hado1
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 6 days and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was modern, comfortable, and spacious. We had a full ocean view on the 6th floor. Among the pleasant surprises: the room and balcony were very spacious.

We had a fantastic sea kayak and snorkeling experience along the coast, with Kaleo as our guide. Kaleo is an expert on the marine wildlife of the area and is an excellent free swimmer and snorkeler, and showed us some beautiful and amazing animals along the coast. Definitely a highlight of our entire trip, and much more interesting than the trip to Molokini that we took the day before.

The entire staff at the Andaz is fantastic. Without exception, everyone was polite, friendly, and willing to help in any way. It is hard to name just a few who stood out, but Jim Wrzesinski made our dining experience at Ka'ana Kitchen unforgettable. At the pools and bars, Hollie, Niki, Mike, Drew, and Dennis were friendly and accommodating. But I don't want to forget the countless others whose names I didn't get, all of whom were very helpful and went out of their way to make us feel like royalty from arrival to departure.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craig S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!