“Outstanding Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Outstanding Hotel”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My family recently stayed for five nights in July 2014 and had a wonderful experience. The hotel grounds, room, and staff were all excellent. Upon arrival, the staff presented each of us with leis: for women, a white orchid lei, and for men, a lei made of a seashells and kukui nuts. We were in a pool suite, which had a living room area (that was able to accommodate a rollaway bed comfortably). The cascading infinity pools are beautiful, as others have mentioned, and there are towel kiosks where the staff will even provide you with complimentary sunscreen in a little plastic shot glass. There are two beaches: one directly in front of the hotel (Mokapu) and one to the left (Ulua). We snorkeled at Ulua, which has a nice reef that starts early on, on the right-hand side, and had lots of sea life. We enjoyed the various activities offered by the hotel when we felt like having a more low-key day, such as ti-leaf lei making and coconut leaf weaving (to create a fish), and we were often the only guests in attendance. They also had a ukulele class one day. The hotel offers a complimentary 30-minute outrigger canoe experience, which is very generous of the hotel, although it fills up fast, so you may only be able to sign-up for a slot (which you can do down at the beach activities hut) at the end of a several night stay. We ate breakfast at the Ka'ana Kitchen, which has really high-quality food. Even basic things, like a blueberry muffin, or a chicken sausage, they do exceptionally well. We also took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service to get to, and back from, a nearby restaurant (Monkeypod, which has good happy hour deals). There is live music every night by the top pool from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. There's nothing better than watching a beautiful Maui sunset from one of the infinity pools while listening to relaxing music.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rebooted

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Me, my husband and sons ( 18 & 21 ) stayed at the Andaz for six nights. We had an amazing stay from the movement we arrived until we sadly said goodbye. The entire staff was so helpful. Debbie Bailey- concierge, planned amazing excursions and dinner reservations for my family before we arrived. Everything she chose was fabulous. Crystal at the front desk was amazing- we had to leave unexpectedly to rush to an activity and she actually got my laundry out of the washer/ dryer and it was folded and in our room when we returned. Breakfast at the Ka'hana kitchen is expensive but so worth it. We went to the Four Seasons for 3 nights after our stay at the Andaz and we actually walked back to the Andaz after dinner at Spago so we could have dessert at the Ka'hana kitchen- the waiter actually brought me my favorite gluten free pound cake and cream/berries along with the dessert I ordered after I told him it was my favorite thing I had to eat at breakfast. The spa was fabulous. The valet guys were fun and so helpful. They actually would ask where we were off to and then pack us towels and water. First class service all the way. Amazing pools/ beach and super modern hotel! We also loved the photo shoot and have beautiful pictures to remember our dream vacation at the Andaz of Maui!

Stayed July 2014
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

When we drove up to this gorgeous property we were promptly greeted by the hotel valet with a traditional lei for both my wife and I. One looked at us and said "Welcome to paradise!" At that time little did I know that how right they were!

The service from everyone (and that includes the valet, housekeeping staff, front desk, restaurant servers, pool staff, beach crew, etc) in this hotel is over the top... friendly and they go out of their way to exceed any expectations you have for your stay. They quickly get to recognize you and know you by name and ask how you day was or offer suggestions on what to do for the day. The staff is very proud of the hotel and very proud of the island.

After the first 24 hours, we realized that you really have no need to leave this property during your visit. The restaurants are amazing and the 24 hour market has everything you need. There is a trail that leads from the hotel past the other properties which is paved and is a good walk to start off the morning. If you choose, you may walk on the beach in the other direction which is also a beautiful walk. Speaking of the beach, the beach in front of the Andaz is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island.

We had a beautiful suite with a view of ocean as well as the pool areas. There are two zero edge pools that cascade down the property then a large pool at the bottom. There is also an adult only pool. The vibe is very sophisticated yet not stuffy, very relaxing and when overlooking the ocean, very tranquil.

I cannot say enough positive things about this hotel. If I had to complain about something, it would be that we didn't stay long enough!

2 Thank Sousek
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our family arrived at night and we had great first impressions. The hotel is beautifully designed with three cascading infinity pools each complementing the view of the beach and ocean. Each room is visually stunning and luxurious. The room seems a little compact at first because of layout but becomes more accommodating and relaxing as you get used to it. Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks are stored and replenished in your room daily (usually late morning) and are great way to start your morning before heading to the beach.

The beach is directly in front of the hotel and not a very long walk from your room. Make sure to be at the beach early in the mornings (7:00ish) so the beach crew can set up your lounge chairs and umbrella on the front row. Also, they begin to run out of chairs and spots around 9:00ish so don't be on the late side. There is spectacular snorkeling to the left of the hotel as you will probably see others already jumping in pretty early. The reef is shaped like a semi-circle and can be accessed easily from the left or right side of the lava rocks. You might see a turtle at the tip of the reef but it doesn't happen often.

For the courageous snorkelers: Ulua beach, the last beach to the left of the Andaz, has wonderful snorkeling but can be a long swim to get to. Enter at the very end of the beach and if you continue swimming adjacent to the rocky shoreline, you will run into many sleepy turtles on the bottom of the reef. It is truly spectacular and worth the lengthy swim. If you go down even further, there are some amazing lava rock formations with colorful coral.

One of the negatives to this resort was mandatory valet parking. On some occasions, we had to wait for our car for a lengthy period of time even though the parking lot is only 50 or so yards away. Also, the complementary spa facilities were a little disappointing. Other than that, it is a very beautiful hotel and our stay was definitely spectacular and one to remember!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor. It gets pretty busy on the bottom floors near the pool and lobby. Of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank auboy123
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel entrance is spectacular. I loved the open concept giving a beautiful view as we walked in. The staff is warm and welcoming. The room was tastefully designed with a shower behind a glass wall giving view on the room as well as outside.
The four swimming pools give plenty of lounging space.
The only complaint I have is when we showed up around 10:00pm for dinner at the Japanese restaurant we were told we had 3 minutes to order because they were about to close the kitchen.
The surroundings are perfectly manicured and absolutely breathtaking.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor gives access to the lobby without having to take the elevator
3 Thank Hustach
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived on 7/4/2014 at 2:30 pm at the hotel. Great start. We were amazed by the view from the lobby. 4 tier pools, beautiful ocean, and the service of friendly check in clerk was great. The partial ocean view room was better than the full ocean view room. From the 6th floor ( I read on TripAdvisor to request 5th or higher floor) partial ocean view room , we see the other half of Maui and the ocean. The cloud on top of mountain and the sun rise, sun set were just breath taking. Dinner at Morimoto was fantastic! I ordered spicy crab leg as an appetizer and my husband got a roll. For entrée, I got Chirashi sushi and the raw fish toppings were so fresh! The rice was very good. My husband got the seafood to an yaki which was soooo good!

The local beer was also refreshing.

Try the lobster sandwich at the pool side for lunch. Excellent. Better than four seasons Maui lobster salad.

Unfortunately, on the 3rd night when my husband took a shower, he cut his foot. He was bleeding and saw something stuck on his back of his foot and it was a piece if shattered glass. I used my tweezer to pull out the piece. I went back to the area to see if I see any other pieces and to our surprise there were many around the entry way to the shower and under the sink. They look the same color ( green) as the glass cups in the bathroom. Since we did not break any glasses , most likely the housekeeping dropped while cleaning the glass. I cleaned the immediate area and kept some pieces to show the manager. Since we had dinner plans that night, we waited till next AM to talk to the manager. She was mortified and sent housekeeping to clean the room. She also said she will comp our lunch that day which was very nice. BUT, when we returned to the room that evening, the glasses were still everywhere. Looked like these pieces were missed. Thank god we did not walk bare foot. This time they sent the executive manager to clean the room. She did a good job the second
time. This was NOT acceptable to me. Very poor follow up and sloppy cleaning!

When time to pay the bill, the lunch was not even comp. We had to explain to the check out clerk what the manager told us. I've worked in the hotel industry before so I know how follow up and follow through are important part of the job. We'll Andaz failed me. Very disappointing. We were nice about this injury but now I feel that they took advantage of our nice attitude. Follow up and follow through were very POOR!

This experience made our vacation just ok.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank NI91403
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We just returned from our 4 night stay at Andaz Maui. To be honest, this has been the best resort stay ever for us. The hotel lobby is simply breathtaking with great contemporary and crisp looks. The customer service at this resort is topnotch. You will see smiling and customer friendly faces everywhere. They have some very good restaurants at the hotel. The breakfast buffet at Kana Kitchen is simply out of the world and hands-down the best breakfast buffet we ever had.

If you can, please try to get a ocean view room to fully enjoy your vacation. Overall, Andaz Maui is a true paradise with great customer service and easy access to beach from the resort.

3 Thank Vka30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!