“Stylish laidback Maui...”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very elegant hotel with lovely grounds and pools to chill out and enjoy the best of Maui. Hotel grounds are immaculate and you can choose whether you want to be in the midst of people or hide out at the "quiet" adult pool. Stylish rooms, restaurant/bar and lobby where you can enjoy amazing sunsets and sip cocktails! The area around the hotel is perfect for morning or sunset walks.
Didn't try the breakfast (too expensive at $45 per person) but enjoyed a lovely birthday dinner in the main restaurant with a special surprise dessert from the staff! Overall we loved the Andaz and would go back any time - just note the room that you are booking (opt for at least partial ocean view - see cons below).

Pros:
- modern furniture and comfy beds
- innovative bathroom with glass separating the shower from the bedroom
- great gym and fantastic pools
- classy atmosphere and friendly staff
- complimentary snacks in the room
- complimentary sunscreen at the pool

Cons:
- expensive valet parking (no option to self park)
- uncomfortable lanai chairs
- and my biggest gripe - I booked a "garden view" room hoping that it would look out to some greenery. Unfortunately, we were given a room on the first floor with a vista of the car park - no greenery in sight! Credit to the Andaz staff who tried their best to relocate us after the first night - they managed to put us in a room on the second floor overlooking the adult pool - and this was perfect for us. The "car park" view rooms should perhaps be called "standard" and then guests wouldn't be confused as to the type of view they may get.

Room Tip: If you don't want to look at tail lights, ask for a room in the wing overlooking the adult pool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlphaAlpha
Write a ReviewReviews (2,903)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel was amazing! There are five pools, a beautiful private beach, and just an overall lovely hotel. When we got there, we were greeted with Leis (sp?), given a complimentary drink, and taken quickly to our room. There, the fridge was stocked with drinks and there were snacks in the room, which were replenished daily. The room itself was beautiful, even though we had one facing the garden. There is one small thing that took us by surprise though: They had doors that opened up to the shower for I am assuming honeymooners?? If I had traveled with a group of guy friends or little kids I am not sure I would be okay with that - they must have rooms that don't have this, however I never got a chance to ask and as I was traveling with all girls, it was not a problem. I think if you had a ocean facing room and you were there with your significant other, this would be awesome, but other than that, a little terrifying each time we got in the shower! lol Also, we never really went to the beach at our resort till the last day, and that was a huge mistake, as the beach and the grounds are so beautiful!!. When we did go, we genuinely enjoyed ourselves and wished we had realized what we had and gone there sooner. If I ever go back to Maui, I will definitely stay there again and I have already recommended it to a group of friends that are going there next April. I feel so spoiled by my stay there, and that is definitely a good thing!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DoubbleD
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We are very impressed with the service, facilities, and overall experience at the Andaz Wialea property. Our recent stay was the best experience we have ever encountered at any hotel/resort throughout our long history in travel, particularly with the Hyatt brand. We have been loyal to Hyatt for many years, and our Andaz experience is just another way the company proves to us, its commitment to quality service.

From our first encounter with staff as we pulled up to the entrance, to the amazing check-in process, we felt 'at home' immediately. The warm relationship we developed with Michael, made our stay extraordinarily comfortable. The staff in Ka'ana Kitchen was very attentive and courteous. Mary-Ben (sp?) was very genuine and worked to make sure we had Kari as our server. Kari went out of her way to make our meals very enjoyable and fulfilled our requests without hesitation. The staff in the omelette/pancake/waffle chefs were outstanding, and made sure everyone had their meals fresh and to their liking. The pool and beach staff were very helpful, and were always checking to ensure that guests were satisfied with their experience.

Overall, we can say that the Andaz was the 'number 1' experience in travel we have ever encountered. Please keep in mind, however, that the signage to indicate the location of this property could be much larger, and stand out among the other resorts in the area. We did drive by the Andaz about three times before we could locate the entrance. Also, the rooms could be a little more family friendly in terms of storage (more drawers). Otherwise, we are looking forward to our next stay at Andaz, and will highly recommend this property to others looking for the best experience in Maui, HI.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Andaz Maui for our belated honeymoon. My husband used to live in Maui and insisted on staying in Wailea and after some research I insisted on staying at the Andaz Maui and I am so glad we did. I travel a lot and I have stayed at many hotels in the past and this was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. We will definitely be back! Here is a breakdown of pros and cons - though I don't have many negative comments, its really just nitpicking.
Pros:
- Modern, clean, spacious rooms
- Great walk-in shower
- Amazing lobby!!
- Great gym
- Superior customer service! Everyone was super nice!! (Thanks Ben for making our stay extra special).
- Awesome pools, one is adult only and nice and quiet (good for a nap in the sun)
- Fantastic food (we especially loved the food at the Market).
- Nice beach, awesome views and some of the best sunsets I've ever seen
- Super comfy beds, almost better than home (and I love my bed at home!)

Cons:
- I didn't like that there was no self-parking (daily parking rate was expensive and money for tips added up).
- Restaurant are expensive but food is great (We didn't go to Morimoto since it only got mediocre reviews and we decided to spend our food elsewhere) -
- All extras were expensive (i.e. snorkel equipment, kayak rental, yoga classes, etc.)

Thanks Andaz for making our stay so pleasant!

Room Tip: We stayed at in a King Garden View. I would have loved to have had an ocean view but it was more exp...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daniela V
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had the most phenomenal trip to Maui due to the exceptional service at the Andaz Maui. Nani who checked us in late night with a hug and a "welcome home" made us feel so excited to be there when we could have easily been ignores due to our late arrival. She set the tone for a wonderful week. Krystal took excellent care of us in the cafe/room service every night and was so kind and friendly and always took the extra steps to accommodate use. When she wasn't there, Jeff provided excellent service as well.

The pool and bar experience was excellent. The great highlight is that the pool area is laid back and relaxed. We could be rowdy or we could just silently relax and we were welcome either way. The pools are nearly kid-free which is excellent. The kids that were present were very well-behaved.

The bar and cocktail staff was stellar. Holly, Travis and especially Archer were genuine and friendly and even made us our favorite specialty cocktail not on their menu. They made us feel so excited to be there and Archer took extra steps to make our time at the pool and in Maui very pleasant.

We ate at the breakfast buffet nearly every morning which, for $45 a person is worth every penny. The quality and selection of food was unbelievable. Kari gave us exceptional service even offering to get waffles, omelettes, juices for us if there was ever a line for the buffet. She was so welcoming. We looked forward to breakfast with her every day. Jenny was also fantastic!

Overall the hotel was beautiful, clean, modern and well kept. But the most impressive part of our stay was how every single person we encountered went our of their way to greet us and go the extra mile. Service like this is hard to come by and will continue to be a wonderful, lasting memory. We will be back ASAP.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Cmaeding
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We ended up staying at the Andaz for half of our honeymoon stay on Maui. I would of liked to of stayed longer after I found this place, but another resort had a "too good to be true" deal so we split the stays. Though the other resort was very nice, the Andaz somehow exceeded those expectations by a country mile and it was by far the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at! From the outside, it looks like an ordinary hotel but the property itself and the inside is far from ordinary.

Right when you show up to the hotel, you are greeted immediately and taken inside to continue the check-in process. At the Andaz, there is no official front desk so you're free to sit at any of the comfortable chairs in the lobby (or as we did, in the large sand pit) and complete your check-in with one of the staff.

The room we had was amazing, we absolutely loved it! It had some many features that we've never had in a hotel room, our favorite being the shower area that had a ceiling built-in square shower head that has the water come down on you like it's a rain shower. Anytime we got a reason to take a shower, we did it!

The two pool areas (main pool and adult pool areas) are both very nice and have great service by the staff. In the adult pool area, there are flat beach chairs that are built in the pool where you can step off and step right in the water. The beach right outside of the property is very nice. It's not too big and it's a secluded area so the only people out there are hotel guests (which weren't a lot the days we were there). It was very nice for once to be on a beach where it wasn't flooded with guests and their screaming kids. A very good perk with the hotel is that they don't charge for you to use the beach chairs & umbrellas!

The only "negative" I could think of with the Andaz is the required valet parking that you have to pay for each day, since having the choice of self parking is always nice in my opinion. But overall, we loved the hotel and can't wait to come back on a return trip. Though the hotel was the priciest place we stayed at on our Hawaiian honeymoon, we will definitely stay here for the entire next trip to Maui. The Andaz is a perfect honeymoon/couples hotel because of the low-key environment, beautiful location and the absence of a lot of kids...which worked out perfect for us! Definitely stay here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JB8588
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Andaz is a beautiful modern hotel with a great waitstaff. Everyone we encountered was extremely friendly. The grounds, waitstaff, and restaurants were all A+. All the restaurants and pool bar were very good. Do not waste your time on Morimoto. The hotel is very expensive though and they don't offer a self park. Parking is $30 a day. The rooms are very nice but small. I would stay at a Andaz again, but maybe not in Hawaii. This hotel is terrific, but I could see this hotel being in any big city--just not a hawaiian vibe.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jpatrickDallas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#1 of 8 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!