“Beautiful but Costly”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Andaz Hyatt in Wailea is gorgeous, relaxing, and clean. It is right on the beach with gorgeous sunsets. You definitely want to upgrade to ocean view! We loved the check in process of NOT having to wait in a lobby line for check in! There is a market open 24 hours, which is great when adjusting to a significant time zone change so we were able get coffee at 3:00 am. The only downside would be pretty much like everything else on the island...bring a thick wallet! Everything is quite costly at the Andaz!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. Everything was perfect. We traveled with our two children(ages 5 and 6) and we all loved it. The staff is great on all levels: room, check-in, valet, pool and beach. Great people. I think the food is excellent. The Ka’ana Kitchen was so refreshing each morning. Excellent food that is fresh. It had good views and good service. The Mokapu Market is a hidden gem. On the last day we had a flight to Honolulu and they packed us a great box breakfast. It was very good.
The valet service is fast and they even have a car to drive you to nearby places.
The rooms are clean and modern. The house keeping staff is first rate. The views from the room are perfect.
What made the trip was that my kids felt comfortable in the kids club; while we got to relax. The staff that worked with them(Drew, Tahanie(sp), Dennis, and Tasha) all made the trip special. My kids said they miss Hub 808 as we are now home. We felt bad for about 2 minutes leaving them but then realized 9am to 3pm was a good amount of time for our kids to be busy.
Overall, this is a great place to stay. The staff never says no to anything and they find a way to make you comfortable. We plan to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason J
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. This was our first trip to Maui and we were blown away by everything. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we were well cared for. We will definitely stay at Andaz the next time we go to Maui.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoriO634
Reviewed 17 July 2014

After spending 4 days at the Andaz I was not as impressed as I had hoped to be. I will say that I had very high expectations for the property as I did much research and this seemed to be a very highly rated property. I stayed with my wife and brother in law during this stay, and my wife was a Diamond status with Hyatt. Here are the highlights and low lights for my stay:

Highlights:
The staff was great and always willing to do whatever they could to make you feel at home.
Complementary Diamond Breakfast was a delicious and complete as any I have ever had.
The property is breathtaking! Seriously beautiful!

Lowlights:
The staff was great, but for me and my family they were borderline overbearing. It could also just be that I cam completely cheap and would rather do things myself instead of feeling obligated to constantly tip people.
At check in our room wasn't ready. We were told it would be a half hour and it took over an hour and a half to finally get the call that we could go to the room.
The bathroom is not set up for families, just couples. Most awkward shower set up ever!
Our room was not clean. My wife took a towel and got it wet and wiped down part of the marble floor and it was covered in dirt. It looked like the floor hadn't been mopped in ages.
We could have been anywhere. If you took away the beach you would never know that we were in Hawaii.

All in all it is a beautiful property and the help is very attentive. It wasn't the property for us, but I can see the appeal and for most people this is a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank tom w
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very elegant hotel with lovely grounds and pools to chill out and enjoy the best of Maui. Hotel grounds are immaculate and you can choose whether you want to be in the midst of people or hide out at the "quiet" adult pool. Stylish rooms, restaurant/bar and lobby where you can enjoy amazing sunsets and sip cocktails! The area around the hotel is perfect for morning or sunset walks.
Didn't try the breakfast (too expensive at $45 per person) but enjoyed a lovely birthday dinner in the main restaurant with a special surprise dessert from the staff! Overall we loved the Andaz and would go back any time - just note the room that you are booking (opt for at least partial ocean view - see cons below).

Pros:
- modern furniture and comfy beds
- innovative bathroom with glass separating the shower from the bedroom
- great gym and fantastic pools
- classy atmosphere and friendly staff
- complimentary snacks in the room
- complimentary sunscreen at the pool

Cons:
- expensive valet parking (no option to self park)
- uncomfortable lanai chairs
- and my biggest gripe - I booked a "garden view" room hoping that it would look out to some greenery. Unfortunately, we were given a room on the first floor with a vista of the car park - no greenery in sight! Credit to the Andaz staff who tried their best to relocate us after the first night - they managed to put us in a room on the second floor overlooking the adult pool - and this was perfect for us. The "car park" view rooms should perhaps be called "standard" and then guests wouldn't be confused as to the type of view they may get.

Room Tip: If you don't want to look at tail lights, ask for a room in the wing overlooking the adult pool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlphaAlpha
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel was amazing! There are five pools, a beautiful private beach, and just an overall lovely hotel. When we got there, we were greeted with Leis (sp?), given a complimentary drink, and taken quickly to our room. There, the fridge was stocked with drinks and there were snacks in the room, which were replenished daily. The room itself was beautiful, even though we had one facing the garden. There is one small thing that took us by surprise though: They had doors that opened up to the shower for I am assuming honeymooners?? If I had traveled with a group of guy friends or little kids I am not sure I would be okay with that - they must have rooms that don't have this, however I never got a chance to ask and as I was traveling with all girls, it was not a problem. I think if you had a ocean facing room and you were there with your significant other, this would be awesome, but other than that, a little terrifying each time we got in the shower! lol Also, we never really went to the beach at our resort till the last day, and that was a huge mistake, as the beach and the grounds are so beautiful!!. When we did go, we genuinely enjoyed ourselves and wished we had realized what we had and gone there sooner. If I ever go back to Maui, I will definitely stay there again and I have already recommended it to a group of friends that are going there next April. I feel so spoiled by my stay there, and that is definitely a good thing!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DoubbleD
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We are very impressed with the service, facilities, and overall experience at the Andaz Wialea property. Our recent stay was the best experience we have ever encountered at any hotel/resort throughout our long history in travel, particularly with the Hyatt brand. We have been loyal to Hyatt for many years, and our Andaz experience is just another way the company proves to us, its commitment to quality service.

From our first encounter with staff as we pulled up to the entrance, to the amazing check-in process, we felt 'at home' immediately. The warm relationship we developed with Michael, made our stay extraordinarily comfortable. The staff in Ka'ana Kitchen was very attentive and courteous. Mary-Ben (sp?) was very genuine and worked to make sure we had Kari as our server. Kari went out of her way to make our meals very enjoyable and fulfilled our requests without hesitation. The staff in the omelette/pancake/waffle chefs were outstanding, and made sure everyone had their meals fresh and to their liking. The pool and beach staff were very helpful, and were always checking to ensure that guests were satisfied with their experience.

Overall, we can say that the Andaz was the 'number 1' experience in travel we have ever encountered. Please keep in mind, however, that the signage to indicate the location of this property could be much larger, and stand out among the other resorts in the area. We did drive by the Andaz about three times before we could locate the entrance. Also, the rooms could be a little more family friendly in terms of storage (more drawers). Otherwise, we are looking forward to our next stay at Andaz, and will highly recommend this property to others looking for the best experience in Maui, HI.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!