“so Aloha”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Andaz Maui is a top notch resort.
From the moment you arrive you are treated like o'hana (family)
We had a great ocean view room, quiet, clean, modern.
mini bar items were complimentary and filtered water was available.
I found a great rate at Whatahotel which included breakfast for 2 , late checkout, and $100 spa credit.
we usually stay at the Fairmont but the andaz Maui is so much more, 5 pools, gorgeous beach.
You must stay here!

Room Tip: ocean view on the adult pool side are peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chad C
There are newer reviews for Andaz Maui At Wailea

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I booked this hotel on a flash sale on jettsetter.com and got a $300 dollars a night rate with breakfast included. What an amazing experience. Impecable service, beautiful property with a private beach and 5 pools. Very few kids, more adult oriented. Nice spa and gym, modern and comfortable rooms, with a nice rain shower.

Breakfast is delicious, with healthy options from local farmers. But the most impressive thing at Andaz is the service. I've never been in a hotel with this level of service and attention to the guest. It's refreshing and maybe a new standard to be follow by the big chains out there!

Room Tip: Book an ocean view. It's worth it and you are worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vicente R
Reviewed 23 July 2014

If you are looking for a 3 star resort in a five star location...this is for you. We arrived to no one around. Had to wait for at least 10 minutes while being ignored by concierge staff who were busy chatting. Of course no front desk so no where to go. Very uncomfortable! Had to wait about an hour as room was apparently clean but not inspected....that was 3:30 in the afternoon. Later i was jealous when i saw the welcome other travelers received. Wish we could have had that. I received my lei from my husband. Apparently the valet handed it to him. The valet convinced my husband to let them take our things to the room and then promptly lost one item. Called guest services and security the next day who didn't care or thought i was lying...who knows. Had to talk to management to get help which came too late. Booked a deluxe ocean view and were taken to a room that overlooked a roof top with a tiny view of the ocean overtop of it....which the valet reported to us was a "great room". My husband hates it when i ask for another room but even he was so disappointed, he was glad i asked. We then got a better room so i would not hesitate to ask. Went to the hot tub one night about 8:30pm to find only piles of used towels so i hiked up 3 flights of stairs to wait 10 minutes and then be rudely greeted by one of the concierge women who instead of calling someone to replace the fresh towel supply, gave me 2 towels. I said thank you, she said nothing. Problem is that we watched other people have the same problem. You should know that this resort has a lot of stairs and it is very dark at night and there is no one around except concierge staff and restaurant staff. Like i said, 3 flights to request hot tub towels. You could go to the elevators but that would require more walking. My recommendation would be to always have your phone and have guest services on speed dial. There ate just so many occasions when you can't find anyone. I remember thinking i really need to watch myself because it was just so dark around the stairs at night and i'm not that old. My husband was ignored for 45 minutes at the pool looking for chair covers. You should also know that pool and beach staff start to cleanup around 3:30 so don't expect much for service after that time. As for the room, we liked it but really, the bathroom is teeny tiny so if you are 2 larger people it would be tough. Cleaning staff were ok but nothing special. I had just stayed at another hotel in Auckland and the cleaning staff really made an impression by organizing my stuff and just making me feel special....nothing special here. Tv did not work properly (didn't really care) but when trying to check out kept getting loss of signal message. When i came home, hyatt sent me a questionnaire and i think one of the questions summed it up for me. It was something like, "did you feel like the staff cared about your stay"? My answer was a resounding NO! This staff that we were in contact with do not work as a team here. The management did do a couple of things to try to make us feel better but really, i just wanted a relaxing stress-free vacation with the kind of luxury i was paying for. I sincerely hope they can get it together because i love the location, its a beautiful hotel and beach but would probably try somewhere else next time. We tipped the first valet but didn't feel like tipping after that. Maybe you need to tip to get good service but i still believe that you should tip when you have received good service!

Room Tip: If you want quiet and nice views choose a room on a high floor on the adult pool side.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank roadtripper007Usa
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I just finished a 3-night stay at this property with my wife and two kids (ages 5 and 3) and it's definitely a beautiful resort with excellent service. We first got in on a Sunday night and were warmly greeted and lei'd by the valet and bell guys who walked us to the check-in area. We were offered wine/lemonade/water while we waited, and there's a little sandbox where my kids immediately began digging holes :)

We were given a 2-queen room on the 4th floor with a partial ocean view. I was really hoping for an upgrade to something bigger since I'm a diamond member, but I was told that there was nothing available- even for a paid upgrade. The room was nice and big enough for us, since our kids are still small.

Overall, the resort is really nice but I'm not sure it's great for families with young children. Our kids received an equal mix of "how cute" and "what are these kids doing here?" looks from the other guests. Also, even though we were told there weren't any larger rooms available, it didn't seem too busy, which was really nice.

As a diamond member we received complimentary breakfast buffets (great spread and delicious!) which normally runs $45/person and $22.50/child (gratuity included).

The beach area and bottom pool was great for the kids. We didn't try the other pools because there weren't any other kids and I felt like we would be bothering the other guests by bringing our little kids up there.

Today (check out day), my 3 year old ran a fever so we asked for a late check out but were told that the room was already going to be occupied by the next guest, but we could speak to the manager and figure something else out. We opted to and let my boy sleep in the car, so that was a little disappointing. I figured it was easier than packing everything up and storing it with the bell and moving to another room or lounge.

Others on TP have indicated this is probably a resort tailored for couples or families with older children. I'd have to agree but the hotel does a great job of making everyone feel welcome!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Donald H
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Stunning rooms, stunning property, amazing staff. The restaurants are terrific quality although cheaper eats can be found nearby. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was looking for a hotel on Maui for an anniversary trip. We had booked a mega-resort (Grand Hyatt) on Kauai for the first half, and wanted something more intimate for the 2nd half of our trip.
I don't know how I missed it in reading all the reviews here, but the Andaz is a very upscale property. In a very upscale area. While everything about the place is first class, we just didn't feel comfortable there. Our travel agent left us hanging, but thankfully Jonessa, a manager at Andaz understood our feelings and helped us move to a different Hyatt in Lahaina. As I told her, it had NOTHING to do with their service or property, we just don't typically stay at upscale properties, and were looking for a more "old Hawaii" feeling. Her understanding was SO appreciated! She literally saved our anniversary trip.
The $45 breakfast was actually worth it! SO much fresh, delicious food with excellent service. The room itself was nicely appointed, but the bathroom was smaller than the one we had just left at Grand Hyatt, Poipu, Kauai.
Overall, it's a great property, just not our cup of tea.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ilive4sun
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome hotel with great villas. Highly recommend the extremely spacious villas. Property was immaculate and the multiple pools provided space for everyone. If you are a beach person, the chairs and umbrellas are limited so get their early! Snorkeling off the beach is easy and very convenient. Most activities, food and drink are premium priced. Overall a very nice place to relax and soak up the sun.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!