“Top Notch Property - Outstanding Service”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Top Notch Property - Outstanding Service”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After staying at the Andaz, I'm not sure we'll be able to stay anywhere else on Maui! Every single staff member we encountered was incredibly friendly and genuinely so! The food and drinks at the pool bar were outstanding. The property was relatively quiet - it seemed to be more couples than families with children although there were some. I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to others. We were traveling with friends who stayed at a nearby resort and they spent every day with us and mentioned several times they wished they were staying at our property rather than the one they selected!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have larger lanais.
Green Features: They provided us reusable water bottles at check-in rather than plastic water bottles!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Andaz for our 3 year anniversary and babymoon. The service, rooms, property, and food exceeded our expectations. We upgraded to a partial ocean view room but was given an ocean view at check in.
The room was gorgeous, modern, crisp, and comfortable. It was also so so clean. The property is Eco friendly and there were two reusable water bottles in the room to refill with water. There were water stations all over the property but any employee was happy to fill it for us. One amazing thing about the room was the complimentary snacks that were refilled daily.
The pools are beautiful and so so quiet. There were a lot of kids but it was still quiet. We never felt the need to venture to the adult pool. The pool service was great some days just ok others, but the food made it all worth it.
The hotel beach was great with not too many rocks, the snorkeling was also fabulous although he hotel charged a lot for snorkels per day.
The breakfast buffet was the best I've ever experienced and every restaurant was delicious.
We had to take a red eye and he hotel has a great room with lockers a tv and showers to use so that you can check out and still use the hotel property.
We had such a great experience at the Andaz and we can't wait for our next trip there!!

2 Thank Carly D
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I agree with all reviewers that praised the resort. Agree with all benefits that were noted. So I won't repeat the benefits and mentioned the things that I did not like (I rated the property "4" instead of "5" because of that.
- Room: everything OK; a lot of modern technology features. However such features require some printed manual/explanation, which was not found.
For example last night I found a connector to charge iPhone/iPad (not latest model, but exactly fitted my devices). Strange that I did not know about it before (lack of manual?). I plugged my device, but it appeared that the charger was not connected to any power source. Since it was last night I did not attempt to find out how it worked.
- Also: switches/dials near the outer side of the bed (lights, shades etc) were not accessible directly from the bed. I could not switch on any light without standing up and using ny external torch to see the dial. A switch for bedside lamp should be directly near my pillow! Or I did not find one; maybe it was well hidden.
- Service complaint: I reported that the telephone in my room was not working (disconnected?) on the first day of my stay. I was promised that a technician would come and fix it. However it never happened (I stayed for 6 days). I was promised the same thing several times after, but the phone was not ever functional. Not a big deal for me since my room was very close to the main lobby and I could walk and talk to the staff directly. But really a flaw.
- Unacceptable: last night of my stay I had to close the window around 2 am because somebody nearby was smoking apparently on his balcony. I suppose the hotel is non-smoking area. Are smoke detectors installed in the balconies? I did not have time to complain to the staff (it was my last night), but I considered it a great flaw, especially in such an expensive resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on level higher than 5 (where main lobby is). I stayed on level 5 and had advantages...
1 Thank aozh
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just returned from several days. Some short comments:

- Staff outstanding. Parking may be expensive ($30) but usually the valet was faster than we were when we called to get the car. All staff very friendly and helpful.

- Very few kids, really not a resort with kids activities, but the kids looked like they were having fun.

- Room overall is very nice. Bathroom though, not for us. Rainshower is nice, but no tub, after getting feet dirty hiking on our road trip to Hana, felt that we never got them clean. I'm sure if I asked, the hotel would have provided a stool, but when you are washing your feet isn't the time you are going to ask. Bathroom was definitely large enough for a soaking tub, if they had made the rain shower smaller. Even worse is because of the design of the bathroom, there is no hand shower (appears there was, or they just put up the fixture because it was required by the rain shower) so if you get sand or sunscreen spray on the floor in the shower, its really hard to clean up yourself.

- Note in the room not to hang anything on the balcony (e.g. dry off swimsuit) and to call if you need any assistance. I guess they will dry your suit, but there is no wear to hang anything in the shower, even though there is definitely a lot of unused room in the shower.

- Difficult to get shade at the pool - so disagree about points that it is always easy to get a chair - it is easy to get a chair but there are not enough umbrellas, so people go down before breakfast, and stake out their territory, marking chairs with their hat, book, etc. Never were able to get a chair with umbrella at the beach because of this issue and that we went out in the morning to do things several mornings - by the time we were back from the sunrise at Haleakala, we were thinking nap, not, oh go grab a chair at the beach and then come back to the chair after the nap. Had to be rude ourselves and stake out chairs the last two days around the pool even though we only used them for a few hours out of the entire day, just to get some shade. Simple solution - order more umbrellas, or just be rude and hog your chair all day.

- Some of the poolside bar staff were just too aggressive, and this increased selling may have led to the someone who was slightly too inebriated at the pool. On the other hand, that situation was handled very professionally. The next day, the pools tide bar staff seemed to not be as pushy selling cocktails.

- Restaurants excellent but very expensive. Sushi dinner at Morimoto, we considered a good value. Dinner at the Ha'ana was excellent, with a nice variety of dishes to choose from. The cafe (open 24 hours) was less expensive and the food was great, but still had items that are either outrageously expensive (like organic sunscreen for 3x the cost of normal sunscreen) or borderline ridiculous (boxed water is better, apparently).

Overall, would stay again at this resort, but it was my first Hawaiian resort, so I may be at others before coming back here.

3 Thank europa00
Oakland
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was very happy with the service at mokapu market, and your over night staff was on point with everything. My husband and I was very pleased to meet Lei and Jef whom was over the top helpful. Lei also helped us with some of the Hawaiian words. Very awesome staff you should be very proud of them.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I stayed at the Andaz Maui for our vacation. The hotel, property, pools, beach, etc. are beautiful. The service is awesome. The hotel exceeded our expectations and exceeded my experience at some Ritz hotels! They really go above and beyond. All the employees were great but unfortunately the only person I remember by name is Sherman. He had great recommendations for sites, restaurants, etc. The hotel has a shuttle service to local restaurants and shopping. This is not your typical shuttle bus. They drive you around in nice SUVs and are available to pick you up within 15 minutes. We had a rental car but used their service as well. Using the service was great for going out to dinner away from the resort. We had teenagers with us and they loved it. There were some small children but not a lot and they mostly stayed at the first pool area. The hotel is not like the very large resorts. You never had to fight for a chair. The food at the Andaz is really good but like most places in Hawaii, it is expensive. The breakfast buffet was better than any I have experienced (US or other countries) but it is really expensive. Regardless, the price of the food would not prevent me from coming back. I would highly recommend the hotel and the location.

Room Tip: The higher the better. If you have a room close to the lobby side, you may hear music but they do n...
Green Features: Great! They give you bottles for water. They have water dispensers everywhere. They recycle.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just returned from an 8 night stay at Andaz. As a Hyatt Diamond member and loyal customer, i can attest to the many favorable comments here. Wailea is amazing, and having visited the 5 resorts along the connected walkway no question Andaz has done a great job. In terms of my actual experience, I did travel with our family of 4 (including an 8 and 6 year old) and was aware of the various references to this being a prime couples resort. I found the staff to be great with the kids, in particular at the Kaana Kitchen for breakfast. What was lacking was simply not addressing this market of customers. Without being like the Grand Wailea, there is a clear opportunity here for the Andaz to make an effort with families while maintaining the similar feel. There were a lot of children throughout; just not much in the way of programs or activities. Again, not major changes but a small set of poolside activities would be huge. The only other observation i had was that they could use more practical foods in the Lobby shop (i forget the name) / convenience store. The prices were, yes, high - as referenced by others, but at the same time if you didn't want the buffet breakfast in the morning, or a high end breakfast; they could take advantage of more offerings at the on site convenience store.

The beach activities desk was really good and we made use of the surf lessons, paddle boards, boogie boards, snorkel gear etc.

The rooms were nicely appointed, very much like other Andaz properties, although as other pointed out, quite inefficient in their set up; way too much space dedicated to the bathroom relative to room size.

Staff was first rate and incredibly friendly. Valet reliable, and courtesy car service was also reliable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!