“Few bumps in our stay.”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is one of our favorite hotels in the world. When we checked In we were put in a room next to a pair of jerks who allowed their children to scream and cry, took quite a while for us to be moved and then we are put in a room with 5 people in the next room, so another move. After missing our dinner reservation we finally were put in a decent room, not real pleased at the amount of time it took or the lack of interest from the management. Ended up having a very late dinner at Morimoto's (very good) , but all the drama put a damper on our last night on Mau. Did get to spend the next day around the pool chatting with the always amazing and cheerful Nikki, our favorite person here!! Also had a nice visit with Fernando in the food & bev. department, really nice guy. The good at Andaz always trumps the bad

2  Thank Gunner62

Reviewed 3 August 2014

we stayed at the Andaz, for 11 days. We were impressed from the moment we arrived. From valet to gm, this place is impressive in both natural beauty and staff attention to detail. The most impressive part of this property is that it was at capacity but never felt crowded. We never felt stacked and racked. The staff at the beach will lay out lounge chairs and shade and attend to your needs. there are 5-6 pools all beautiful and staffed very well. I forgot the name of the sushi restaurant, but Ryan made us some drinks that were fantastic ( a tropical margarita) not made from tequila. There was a special waitress in the main restaurant by the name of Catilyn, who works the breakfast and lunch, she made our meals there such fun. The entire staff has been well trained, in their job, well educated about the history of Hawaii, Maui and Wailea. The property is managed by Michael Stephens whom we had the pleasure to have met. We were more than impressed by his dedication to his guests and his personal quest to make sure his staff is the best they can be. We also learned that this property helps support a local, low income school, by top managment volunteering there every day of the week. We were impressed with the total package of what this resort does for its guests, staff and community. A few notes, skin diving and scuba diving there is a reef to your left as you look out from the beach, If you want to do a beach dive (scuba) the reef continues on out to about 40 feet. early morning for best results. great place for dinner near by is Monkey Pod. Great lady to meet, head south (driving) past the 4 seasons and head towards "big beach" you will see some off the road venders selling cold coco nut milk, fruit etc. go past the first stand and you should come upon a wood frame stand with an old Hawaiian lady, she has got to be 350 lbs and she has a machete that she puts on a show as she cuts the coco nut into a fun bowl for you to drink the coco nut milk. she is a hoot and fun to talk to, bring her a cold water, buy some fruit (excellent) she tries to sell her sons wood carvings (not my deal) but she is the real deal and family roots going way back. travel this road all the way to the end. it is not far less than 10 miles but you go through lava fields and great ocean views.

Room Tip: upgrade to an ocean view 5th floor or above great sunsets
4  Thank desertymcaceo
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in the Andaz with our 2.5 year old daughter and could not have been happier. We chose a 1 bedroom suite with a private pool and it was fantastic. Food and service were also top shelf, the breakfast is one of the best we have had in our travelling, well worth it, our daughter loved the sand pit in the lobby to. We would stay again...

Room Tip: we stayed Suite 126, best in the whole hotel....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank mralastair
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel as part of a package through Costco Travel. We wanted to stay here since we had honeymooned at this property when it was the Renaissance. Hyatt has done a great job with the complete overhaul.

Property-

I would describe the property as minimalist with typical Hawaiian/Asian touches. The front entry is very confusing since you pull up to it and it looks like the back entry. However, you step into the walkway and realize that this is indeed the main entrance. There is no check-in desk but you are greeted by one of the (very young) front lobby staff to get checked in via IPad. There are plenty of areas to spread out and relax in the lobby including a square area in the middle with a sand floor. The view from the lobby balcony is breathtaking and the pool area is second to none, with multiple levels, each with an infinity edge, except the bottom one of course. There was always plenty of staff running around so your drink was never empty unless you wanted it to be. The adult pool area was also very nice and very quiet. The only thing I didn't like about the adult pool area was the fact that the fitness area was directly behind the pool with windows out onto the pool.

Rooms-

The rooms are all white, beds low to the ground, huge showers and free snacks that are replenished every day. With this said, it's not all good as some of this minimalism trades style over function. For instance there was a lot of wasted space in the room that could've been utilized for storage of stuff when you are some place for a week. The bathroom counter is not a bathroom counter but wood slats all the way across with part of it covered by a mat and some shallow boxes. We still ended up dropping stuff through the slats however since it all wasn't covered. There should've been more hangers in the closet and more storage over the small set of two drawers that were there. The bathroom is separated by wood shades/slats from the room. This means that anyone in the bathroom is going to wake the other person if the light is on in the bathroom or any noise is made. You can hear everything in the room from the bathroom and get quite a bit of light. In addition, there is a light that is mounted under the sink, in the wall, as a nightlight. It puts off entirely too much light and there's no way to turn it off (that I could figure out). I finally just stood a book up on end and put it against it. With all this said, I liked the rooms overall, especially the AC that worked really well.

Shops/Restaurants-

Okay so everything is expensive in Maui right? Well this place tries to take it to a "whole nother level". The breakfast buffet is 45 DOLLARS A PERSON. Are you kidding me? 35 dollars a person is the right price point if you want to keep the guests dollars in the hotel. As a consequence we drove to Starbucks every day and saved ourselves a 550-600 dollars. Would we have eaten the buffet every day, no but we would've done it at least twice if they hadn't wanted my 3rd child. The drinks are 16 bucks a pop for their signature drinks. They are extremely good but you can go down to the shops at Wailea or over to Monkey Pod (for Happy Hour), get drinks just as good and save yourself 5-8 bucks a drink. The restaurant is extremely pricey for dinner as well. There are so many good options in Wailea/Kihei that you can go out most nights and save a bundle. Once again, the hotel is pricing themselves out of keeping more money in the hotel.

Staff-

The car valets are the most friendly and fun people that I've met at any resort in Hawaii. As far as I'm concerned they should demote the front lobby staff to valets and promote these guys to work checking people in/out. The valets were always happy, quick to get your car and just nice guys. The front lobby staff was nice but they were also very young and a little pretentious at times. I travel a lot and when I go to a resort I expect to see older people working the lobby, it gives the place a more professional appearance. The pool staff was awesome, especially Devin. Housekeeping was very good but our room attendant would not take a tip money we left for her every day. My wife finally handed it to her. Timing was inconsistent in housekeeping however as we would leave our service button on, go out for several hours, come back and not have the room done. Other times, we would hit the service button, come back in 45 minutes and the room was done.

I called a couple days before we left to see if we could get a late checkout and was told that this was done on a first come, first served basis. Well we woke up very early (as we always do because of the time change) and I called to see about a late check out. I was put on hold for 3 minutes and then told that it was not available since my room had an early check-in the property was "fully committed". About an hour later on my way out to Starbucks for my daily run I asked another staff member if we could get a noon checkout and he said, "consider it done!". Wow, I guess that they weren't really "fully committed". I then asked him if 1 pm was asking too much. He looked in his system and said it wouldn't be a problem. My guess is that they girl who answered my phone call earlier just didn't know how to do it in the computer system so she made something up.

Recommendations to Hyatt-

Lower your prices on food and beverage by 20-30% and your revenues should go up overall. For example, last time we were in Maui we spent 1500 dollars on property at the Marriott Kaanapali, this time we spent 500 (210 of that was for the mandatory valet parking). Make the rooms just a little more functional by adding in a little more storage space. Hire more experienced front lobby staff. We were always greeted by the staff when entering or leaving but a couple of them didn't know how to smile, making them a little creepy.

2  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in a suite for 6 nights and it was amazing! As soon as we pulled up to the hotel we were adorned with beautiful leis. This was the most gorgeous lobby we have ever seen. The hallways were so tranquil with the ends actually opening to the ocean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. All the food on property that we had was great. The beach crew was awesome setting us up almost every day on the fabulous beach. You should definitely take advantage of the complimentary photography session offered at the hotel-Mike and Matt were the best.

We stayed in suite #738. The room was very modern and well appointed. Floor to ceiling windows with remote control shades are in both rooms of the suite. The views were amazing and you could see the ocean from the bed and the shower! The room even had a Sonos radio system and an iPad mini for playing music - a very nice touch in my opinion.

The beach was also top notch here, and based on what we saw at the other hotels around, it was the best one too! Tons of activities and direct access from the hotel. The pools were great too.

We would definitely recommend this property and hope we get to come back someday.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chuckmd
Reviewed 1 August 2014

On my most recent visit to Andaz Maui I absolutely I fell in love with my deluxe ocean view room with 'bathtub'. As far as the room size goes, it's the same. I really enjoyed be a little closer to the ocean and the bath tub was the big hit this visit. I had packed Vanilla relaxing dead sea salts just for this occasion.

Upon arrival I was a little hungry and enjoyed the complimentary ginger beer and maui potato chips that are part of the mini bar. As far as I can recall, there is no other hotel/resort in Hawaii that offers 'free' mini bar items (non alcoholic). I think this is a gesture that reflects the hotel's commitment to the guest experience.

The beaches and gentle bays of Wailea culminate in front of the Andaz, where little tussled waves come to shore bringing occasional sea shell surprises. There is a smithering of rocks here and there which, it is said, create 'negative' ions that are...... positive to our minds and spirits. For sunset, I immersed myself in the sounds of the shore (and those positive 'negative ions') and was engulfed in the magnificent colours of a Maui summer sunset. As far as I can tell, nature is magical and gorgeous no matter where you go. However, sitting on the beach here I felt the exhilaration of nature. It's a really sweet spot!

Evening at Andaz was equally enjoyable for the same reasons as my last visit. The shape of the resort acts somewhat like a amphitheatre allowing the melodies of the live music at the pool bar to meander out to sea. Morimoto's is a lively and fun venue. I've put in the request with my sweetie for dinner at Morimotos' on my birthday next month! I LOVE their food and everything about this restaurant!

There are no resorts or resort lights on either side of the Andaz to disturb the night sky. Stars are dazzling walking along the beach or beach path! It's an island of tranquility yet a stones throw to all the 'action' in Wailea.

Once again I did not have breakfast 'out' of the room which is just an excuse to return for another visit! We did enjoy champagne brunch in the room and that was awesome :)

2  Thank MelissaMcCoy
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel is average. Rooms are very small. Ours was estremely noisy. Many of the rooms face the pool and bar area which is noisy at night. Rooms only have two small drawers - no room to unpack your clothes. No room to store your suit cases either. Bathroom set-up is horrible. Tried to make them trendy - not very functional. All the doors have slats - easy to see through - awkward if your have kids. Entire room fills with steam everytime someone showers. Noisy if you are in the bathroom and kids are sleeping. Definately not the best location on the water. Beach area is small. Fills up fast. Very rocky. Gets deep quickly. Not a great place for the kids to play. We ended up driving to other beaches or just used the pool.

Service was excellent. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Lots of smiles and always a willingness to try and help. The valet staff was exceptional! Check in and check out was easy.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the pools and bar.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Jack948
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!