“Almost perfect but a few disappointments”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We just returned from a stay at the Andaz in July. We stayed on the island for 15 nights and splurged the last 5 days of our trip here. It was our 10 year anniversary celebration and we were really looking forward to being pampered. I am normally a Ritz Carlton girl but with the reviews and wanting to try the sunny side of the island we thought this would be wonderful. It was a huge splurge at 500.00 a night but hey you only live once right? When we arrived I wasn't blown away by the entrance and wasn't sure immediately if we had made the right choice. The check in process was kind of awkward too. I appreciate the idea of it but I wasn't sold on it either. I hated that I felt so disappointed but it didn't feel as grand as I had thought it would. The attendant that showed us to our room was nice and gave us a run down on the room and how everything worked but again after paying for a room upgrade I was SOOO disappointed in our "partial ocean view" We could really only see the rooftops of the villas and the adult pool. It was on the 2nd floor and I felt so cheated for the price we were paying. Maybe we've always been lucky but the Ritz has upgraded us to a suite every time at check in so I felt sad that THIS was the room we got for our 10 year. I could not relax over it and finally went and found a manager to speak to about it. Jonessa is who I spoke to and she finally made me feel better and more relaxed and said she would get us in a new room the next day. That room was so awful really. The shower door was so rickety that it barely opened and the wind was just howling under the door in the morning so I am so glad we got a new room. They did move us to the other side of the hall and up two floors and the view was OUTSTANDING from it however from a comfort level I will NEVER understand why they put the lounge chairs they are using now. They are truly awful and so uncomfortable that you can barely sit in them before you hurt all over but I did love being able to hear the music playing from the lounge bar while we got ready at night.
We did love the infinity pools and the beach was really awesome. It was so nice to actually be able to have chairs on the beach too. The bar and pool staff was really great! Le'hua was so sweet and such a joy to get to know. Holly, Chad, Archer and Sy were amazing too! Had some really good laughs with all them. Got an amazing recommendation to do the chef's table at Ka'hana kitchen and that paid off. One of the best things we did on our whole trip to Maui. What an experience we had! Sy and Le'hua took care of us that night and made it that much better. The Chef was so great and the food was beyond amazing! I would do this again in a heartbeat.
Morimoto's was big disappointment as I am a HUGE fan of his and felt like the food was MEH...really sad actually that it didn't live up to the hype.
However the lobster grilled cheese totally did live up to it. That was so good and really all the food was delicious all and all. The flatbread pizzas from the market are fantastic as well.
We had spa treatments and did enjoy the spa and the people. I wish the steam room was adjoining with the men. I would have loved to sit in there together after our couples massage. My husband said he had the best massage he's ever had.
The last night of our stay Jonessa had a bottle of really nice champagne sent up with a beautiful plate of fruit and honestly that was such a HUGE gesture and made up for the first night of our stay. I was impressed with that and felt like we mattered.
All and in all the service was fantastic and the modern feel is pretty cool but I am not 100% sure I feel it is in the same level of a Ritz or the FS just yet. I loved it overall and by the end really felt like we had made some friends but there was just something missing for the price of it all.
We had one other mishap worth mentioning..we went over the FS for dinner one night and when we were ready to leave we had them call for our ride...20 mins went by and no one...another 15-20 mins went by and finally the FS offered to take us back. I really don't think this should happen at such a high end resort. Luckily we did see a manager and they apologized and even gave us a voucher for drinks which was a nice gesture) so again they did correct or try to correct the issue and I do appreciate that but it would be better if these annoyances were kept to a rare occasion.
Lastly but not least they did extend our stay for us until 6:30 in the evening even though it seemed to be very busy that night. Lots of check-ins that day and it felt full so I do really appreciate being able to stay in our room to the last second and enjoy the hotel at the fullest. It was hard enough to say goodbye to beautiful Maui so that ended the trip on a wonderful note!
I would say we would go back but not at the 500.00 price range. If we got it at around the 300.00 otherwise I might really splurge for the FS and come over to enjoy drinks and dinner and see the staff that we fell in love with over our stay.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in room 234. It was awful!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jmodgeqt2
Write a ReviewReviews (2,873)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a great stay at the Andaz Maui. The property was beautiful and new, and service impeccable. However, we actually prefer the Hyatt Regency Maui more because the Andaz did not have as warm an atmosphere as the Hyatt Regency Maui. The Andaz felt more uptight, and was not as relaxing.

PRO's:
- Gorgeous new property
- Huge, beautiful suite
- Luxurious bathroom in suite
- Outstanding service from all staff
- Large breakfast buffet
- Great pool service, easy to find lounge chairs
- Nice pools for swimming laps

CON's:
- "Uptight" atmosphere not very relaxing
- Not much to do in the location around the hotel

Room Tip: Suites are huge and gorgeous
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank shinywings
Reviewed 5 August 2014

From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, the Andaz was so fantastic! Spectacular views with four pools cascading down to the beautiful beach! The cast of the Andaz gave a superb performance during our stay at their hotel. They're friendly, warm, and give over the top service… especially the pool crew Heather, Christina, Tasha, and Tia! The food was also outstanding and the spa was incredible! We highly recommend making the Andaz your first choice when staying on Maui!

Room Tip: Connecting rooms are great for families!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We are here on our honeymoon and I couldn't picture a better place to spend it. The andaz Maui is phenomenal. Not only is the location and view fantastic but I've never came across an entire staff as nice and helpful as everyone has been here. From the second we walked in to every time we walk thru the lobby, this place is filled with people who care about your stay and have been helpful with anything we needed. Chad the bar manager has been so hospitable from the second we arrived and laid out by the pool. Brooke and Travis behind the bar have been so much fun and helped make this trip memorable. Not to mention Hollie's awesome recommendations for food and Kai, heather and Le'hua's awesome service. Overall everything has been perfect and I cannot wait to come back!!! And p.s the lavender lemonade is to die for!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank ScheanaMarie
Reviewed 5 August 2014

After a great experience at the Anduz San Diego, we decided to give the Maui location a shot. We were in awe of how they took a tired hotel and brought it up to hip and cool. Staff was amazing as we had a couple of special requests and they went above and beyond to deliver. Food was incredible at the main restaurant and their beach access was private and had some of the best snorkeling on the island. Go, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kclarke2000
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Second stay. Just as good as the first. This property has a great location. Snorkeling at Ulua is fun and easy. Never had a problem finding chairs by the pool (not the case at Grand Wailea). Loved breakfast at Ka'ana Kitchen. Great staff.

Room Tip: Loved our room #318. Partial ocean view suite, had 4 lounge chairs on a grassy lanai outdoors
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

From start to finish, my stay at this hotel was almost without fault. The service and amenities were impeccable. The room we had was large and modern with a beautiful view off our balcony out to sea. The only issue we had with the room was that we couldnt adjust the secondary AC, there was one that you could control the temperature and turn off, but there was another that was always freezing and made quite a bit of noise. All on site food options were brilliant. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. The pools were brilliant. I highly recommend having the buffet breakfast, at $45 isnt the cheapest, but worth every cent.

Room Tip: Get one with a partial ocean view at a minimum.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annabelle M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!