“Perfect pick for our honeymoon!”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland
“Perfect pick for our honeymoon!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We visited a few Hawaiian Islands for our honeymoon, after being in Oahu we were hoping there was more to Hawaii once we got to Maui. Because of an impending hurricane, we had to go to Maui earlier than expected. Unfortunately the Andaz was already full for those extra nights. We stayed at the Marriott Wailea for a few days before we could check into the Andaz. I'm normally a Marriott person, but I have to say the stay there did not even compare to our time at the Andaz! My husband and I truly felt like our honeymoon began when we arrived in Maui...This is what Hawaii and a honeymoon in general should be.

Valet: upon arrival, I've never seen such attentive and courteous valet staff. Every time we used the courtesy car or needed our rental they were right there to help. They actually rush out to help you. But not in an uptight annoying way...they were still friendly but relaxed.
The drivers for the courtesy car were also so friendly and would strike up real conversations with us. They actually seem genuinely interested in what you have to share. It was so refreshing!

Rooms: the rooms have all top notch technology which was great! Including all access to lights and shades right from your bed. There were plenty of plugs and USB ports. The rooms were a tad smaller than expected which you can read about below in the Bad category. Rooms were super clean and we'll maintained and staff brings fresh shower towels multiple times a day without requesting them.

Service: I've never had better hotel service at any property. The rooms were booked under my name but upon arrival the staff made a note in our reservation to use my new married name for me and my husband which was nice. The other hotels we were at kept calling my husband by my maiden name even after telling them. The staff even remembered us by name when they would see us walking about. Kathleen in particular seemed to remember everything about our trip and would always check in. Everyone was so friendly and genuinely interested on our stories and our stay. That includes everyone from the cleaning staff to the concierge.

Cleanliness: we saw cleaning staff wiping down railings, elevator buttons, and other items that you don't typically see done at other hotels. We saw this on multiple occasions and the property reflected this as it shined and was very clean. Even the pool restrooms were spotless.

O hana room: we had a red eye out on our last day. The hotel has a room where you can relax or even shower and change before you head out if you have already checked out. This allowed us to enjoy the pool on our last day.

Price: keep in mind this is an upscale hotel. Food and drink are not going to be cheap but you have to remember where you are. To save a little money, we would sometimes do a quick breakfast sandwich in the hotel market instead of going down to the restaurant. The food was still made to order and was still delicious!

Beach crew: we booked a snorkel trip off of the beach at our hotel with the beach crew. It was an awesome experience. Our guide was amazing and knew everything there was to know about the ocean. Kaleo was our guide and he was native to Hawaii having spent his entire life in the water. He spent almost 30 minutes diving around and looking for sea creatures and especially an octopus because of our special request. He eventually only one and I brought it up to see and touch. He even shared some Hawaiian myths and stories and songs with us. It was an amazing experience!

The bad: the only small downside to our stay that we could scrape up were 2 small things. 1. We paid for a full ocean view however were a bit disappointed in what is considered full. It felt more like a partial view. I would just recommend the hotel consider being more specific on.the website description or.havw better pictures. I did mention this to the front desk staff and I will say she immediately looked into getting us a better view and called me right away. Unfortunately the hotel was sold out so we could not be moved bit at east the effort was made. 2. The rooms were a tad smaller than expected however still had all the amenities you could need. Really didn't seem to matter much but after coming from a king at the Marriott, the size was much smaller. Pictures online did make it appear larger.

Overall: I am a meeting and event planner for a fortune 200 company, planning hundreds of trips and meetings each year for corporate clients and I myself sometimes travel along. I have to say I have never experienced better service or stay at any property.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gina A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My friend and I stayed for 6 nights and loved everything!
Room:
We had a "cheap room" it was a queen garden view. It was perfect for us. I do think an ocean view would be awesome but we decided to spend our money on other things. The shower.... amazing!!! The beds....so comfortable, we slept perfectly every night.
Food:
We did the breakfast included rate and were so glad. Breakfast was served in Ka'Ana Kitchen. We sat on outside and enjoyed the ocean view every morning while enjoying breakfast. Possibly my favorite part of the day.There is a large selection of fresh fruit and juices, several items that are prepared and served buffet style. However there is also a menu to order from if you prefer or they will make an omelet, pancakes, waffles, ect to order for you. Everything we tried was incredible. The wait staff was very helpful and friendly. Jenny and Nic were so helpful at breakfast! They went out of their way to make our mornings special. Also - they have bottomless mimosas for a little extra charge, I think $15!!! Yumm
Ka'Ana Kitchen for dinner: perfection - you must try this for dinner.
Bar experience : The staff was so friendly, especially Lehua, Travis, and Jason. The drinks were amazing and they were entertaining.
I seriously have nothing bad to say. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth every single penny? Yes!!!!! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Misti P
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I wanted to stay more time at this lovely hotel . The service is one of the best , the breakfast was the best breakfast I ever had so fresh and organic . I did the pregnancy massage with Kira was very nice one of the best , the ocean view rooms were small but well designed , I love everything about this hotel

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Nonowa
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in two hotels in Maui on our last vacation: The Andaz and the Four Seasons. Without question, the Andaz bested the Four Seasons in every category, except for the on-beach experience. The restaurants are superior and the service was beyond superior. The staff at the Andaz were really excellent, for the most part. They are a new hotel and there are some quirks that they still need to work out, e.g. bag boy who doesn't offer to carry my bags and a clumsy set-up/break-down team around the beach & pool areas, but the hotel on the whole was very good and the rest of the staff was utterly brilliant. Seriously, a waiter took the time to plan out an insider's itinerary for us, which we oddly enough followed, and had a brilliant time. As if you'll have anything less than a brilliant time on Maui. Regardless, the Andaz was, without question, the best hotel of our trip.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SquirrelBot
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This place was killer on all levels. We stayed for 8 nights and had paid for a garden view room and found ourselves treated to a full ocean view room for our entire stay. The staff from the moment you check in are fantastic. I love the relaxed way you are greeted and the simple, yet elegant, lobby.

The restaurants and food are fantastic. Whether it be the breakfast buffet or a treat for dinner at Morimotos, everything was top shelf.

My favorite thing about the hotel is how they break the pools up into levels. This gives you a chance to stay in different areas with varying views of the ocean and pools. If you decide you want to avoid the families, there is a great adult-only option as well. As the hotel is situated at the end of the hotel row, there is not a lot of traffic by other guests. You really get a sense of privacy and seclusion.

This is by far my new favorite on the island and will make sure I stay here on any trip through Maui.

Room Tip: Make sure to take the time to enjoy the art from artist Shane Robinson in the lobby. Very cool phot...
Green Features: I love that they avoided the bottle water and instead dispensed Andaz water bottles to each guest. Having filtered fountains throughout the hotel, it was a great way to cut down on the plastic bottle usage and still have access to good clean water. Why don't more hotels embrace this idea?
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Alex L
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 9 August 2014

After hearing great things about Andaz, I decided to try it for a couple of nights during the past Maui Film Festival, and I LOVED IT!! First off, I had an awesome room with views of the 2 infinity pools, and the beach! The room was very modern, with the most awesome bathroom. It was easy to see how well the entire staff was trained to ensure client satisfaction and it shows! I was impressed with everyone from the moment I was greeted, from the Valets, to the pool waitpersons, to the beach staff! Big smiles, and they genuinely cared! Congratulations to the General Manager, Michael Stephens, for a great job running a jewel of a resort in Wailea, Maui! I will be back, again and again!

Room Tip: I bet you could not find a bad room! The view of the infinity pools, and the beach is a hard combina...
Green Features: I was impressed with their energy saving practices, including the room lighting, their green approach to low chemical gardening, and solar energy for water heating! This resort is ahead of most in these areas! Very cool!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 1MauiTraveler
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a medium sized very modern hotel situated on a nice beach in the midst of Wailea. The staff are very friendly with the restaurant and pool staff remembering you by name. Service is exceptional (the only exception being the very grumpy guy manning the omelet station everyday at breakfast). The beach is great - the snorkeling only so-so. There was always enough room on the beach and the beach guys were quick to set up lounge chairs and an umbrella whenever we were down there - only issue was that it is a public beach so there was a constant parade of people walking along it making it feel congested at times. One issue with the resort is that there is no onsite tennis - you have to take the shuttle to a nearby tennis court - this is inconvenient to say the least. The four pools are well designed and perfect for cooling off. The two restaurants have good food - a cut above most hotels on Maui. Breakfast can get expensive for a family of three ($120 plus) if you have the buffet. Rooms are well designed and decorated, beds very comfortable - only issue with rooms is there is nowhere to hang wet clothes and they forbid you from drying things on balcony (destroys the look of the hotel -according to the posting in the room) - so they need to come up with some alternative. The hotel is only about 30 minutes from the airport so very convenient location. All in all a great hotel. We will be back.

Room Tip: Don't get a garden view room - its code for facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank EricLosAngeles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!