“Very over priced”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Very over priced”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Andaz is a high end boutique overpriced resort on Wailea.

* If you want to stay at a place where coffee and a muffin from their store costs about $20, stay here

* If you want a place where a small pizza and bottle of wine to got costs $50, stay here

* If you want a poorly laid out resort where getting from your room to the beach will take about 6 flights of stairs, stay here.

If you want to pay about $150 more per night than any of a number of other equivalent resorts on Wailea, stay here.

Otherwise, go stay at about 5 other hotels right next door.

If you like paying for "boutique" by all means, knock yourselves out

12 Thank TheTravelingBGs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

It is a very beautiful hotel with a beautiful beach. The staff are generally very warm, friendly and helpful except that we were just unlucky to get a not very warm person to check us in (we happen to observe other much more friendly staff who checked in other guests - other guests were also given face towels and offered drinks upon arrival. We got none of that.) and a rather stern looking person at the concierge who helped us with our itinerary. I wouldn't have nitpicked if we haven't paid the level of hotel rate we paid.

2 Thank Hafiz W
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed here as a couple on vacation from the UK for a week last week.
It seems most people agree it is a fantastic new hotel in a great location, so I'm not going to wax lyrical any further. The hotel staff we encountered were all first class and gave great service without exception. If I had just one issue it is that there is very little by way of closet space or drawers in the Ocean view rooms (room 227 we stayed in )and when you have travelled for so long and brought a fair but of luggage you appreciate being unable to unpack everything and have space to spread out!
We ate in the Morimoto several times, had Breakfast in K'ana Kitchen and used the Bum Bye bar most nights for cocktails/ preprandial drinks, all of which were excellent, Morimoto in particular as in the UK where we live it is difficult to get such fresh produce to really appreciate Japanese food as it should be eaten. Thanks Morimoto.
The best thing about the hotel is the private courtesy car that will take you to other nearby locations if you wish to go to other hotels to eat and we also used this several times during our stay. We enjoyed the fact that there is a huge choice of excellent restaurants nearby and you can have that bottle of wine and don't have to drive (DUI no thanks)! the courtesy car is not much advertised anywhere so now you all know!
We hired a car from the airport to get around the island and visit other places and yes the valet parking is expensive compared to some other hotels but hey, you cannot argue with the great service they provide.
This was our second visit to Maui after a 17 year gap and we could not have chosen a better place to stay, so thanks to all at Andaz Maui.
We would return for sure.

Room Tip: Ocean Front rooms are best
2 Thank n31lH
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We loved the Andaz in NYC so wanted to try the one in Maui- an old property that has been completely redone and updated. It is a great location, cool style, friendly staff and well equipped with internet/loads of spots to charge in the room and very comfortable amenities. The bathroom is lovely and has an amazing shower.

My complaints about our hotel...

There are loads of chairs near the pool and beach but WAY too few umbrellas. They have cabanas to rent for $200 but that is not a fair price for a daily spot of shade. We felt rushed daily to get down to the pool to get an umbrella which was not the best.

They only have valet parking- no self park- so it cost us MORE in valet for the trip than our rental car. They do have a local shuttle so we could have paid for a taxi to/from the airport and used the shuttle but would have been fairly tied to the property. The car rental and valet added almost $1000 to the cost of our trip and Hawaii is already pricey.

Finally the food on property- by the pool was great and they had a decent kids' menu. The cafe was good but hotel priced for quick grab items- we got breakfast there most mornings. The 2 main restaurants are VERY expensive even for Hawaii- and neither had great kids' menus. I can not eat fish and both restaurants were very heavy on fish- there was very little on the menu that didn't swim. The breakfast buffet was GORGEOUS but also $45 per person, so that is $200 for a family of 4 before you have even headed to the pool and the a la carte menu for breakfast had only 4 items on it. If there is a package that includes breakfast get it, because you will eat well but $200 per day for eggs for a family is a lot even for Hawaii. We ordered room service once and it was fast but the food was not good at all- pizza was cold and soggy, sandwiches were over toasted and cold, steak was too chewy to eat and the salad was warm and wilted.

We did find great (still Hawaii priced but more moderate) restaurants nearby in Kihei and Wailea- check Tripadvisor and Yelp for ideas.

Finally there did not seem to be a room with a view that was not a suite- we were told we would have a garden room but the garden was really grass next to the service entrance and garbage bins. Our room was expensive but we felt like it was not the right price for a room with such an awful view. There are lovely mountains behind the hotel but that was not our view so sitting out for sunrise/sunset was not an option and we felt like we really missed that- but the price of suites was not slightly more it would have doubled the price of our trip :(

Room Tip: Consider skipping a rental car due to cost of valet and availability of free shuttle. Buy snack item...
Green Features: LOVED this- when you check in they give you an Andaz water bottle and there are filtered water stations at the ice machines so you can refill. They also use potato based recycled utensils and cups at the bar/pool.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa T
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I just returned from a 5 night stay in this hotel with my husband and it was absolutely excellent! The property is beautiful and a breath of fresh air. The décor was modern but still felt tropical and Hawaiian and the vibe was really hip- which being from New York City felt perfect. When we were staying, the resort was 90% full and it barely felt like it. Always beach and pool chairs available. Make sure to check out the “adult pool”– we really enjoyed it here in the late afternoon. (There weren’t that many kids at any of the other pools either)

The sunsets are incredible from every part of the hotel. We especially enjoyed watching it from the beach and the Lehua Lounge (awesome live music every night!) Morimoto was absolutely delicious and a beautiful space- make sure to request an outdoor table! We also enjoyed dinner by their bar one night for a more relaxed feel.

We had no complaints about the room- they were clean, sleek and decorated minimally. The bathroom was very nice too. I had read that they were on the small side but we had no complaints about that- it’s Maui- we were barely in the room for long periods of time!

Few of the highlights we enjoyed-
Complimentary shuttle to and from restaurants in Wailea (try Monkeypod and Capische!). We never waited more than 5 mins and most times it was immediate
Laundry facilities for guests to use
Amazing buffet breakfast at K’ana Kitchen
Clean, sleek bedrooms with a balcony (perfect to enjoy the complimentary in-room coffee!)
24 hour Market- which was necessary when we needed emergency Aloe at midnight!
Quick valet- there were always at least 3 people waiting
O’hana room- Hotel had a nice big space where you could shower, change and relax if you have a late flight and needed to check out of your room- so helpful!
Really helpful and friendly staff- took a few of their recommendations for nearby hikes

Yes, the hotel was expensive, along with the food and drinks but it was completely on par with any other high end hotel. You definitely get what you are paying for here and would really have to struggle to find a negative aspect. We arrived from the St Regis in Kauai (which was great in an old school luxury way) but really felt like this hotel was fun and lively and with a fresh feel for Maui.

Room Tip: Oceanview- great view overlooking infinity pools out to the ocean!
6 Thank d_dawnmarie
US
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My wife and I just returned from a fantastic week at the Andaz. I almost did not want to post a review, because we had such an amazing experience that I don't want this place to become over crowed, but the staff, the hotel and everything was so perfect that I felt I would have not been fair not to post a great review.
First of all, the hotel. Beautiful, everything is new and we like the more modern style. You can see the ocean from every pool and it never felt crowded even if it was full. In the afternoon it was difficult to find a shaded chair but we are in Hawaii...
Second: the staff. In my entire life i never found a staff more helpful or cordial. Everyone went above and beyond to help and make our entire stay a one to remember. I want to mention Crystal, she was amazing and to this day, i feel she is the best hotel host I ever met.
Jonessa was also great. And honestly I could mention every one there because they were all good, but these two ladies were amazing.
Rooms are on the small side, but we got an upgrade, so I can't really say anything bad.
The breakfast is superb, I tried almost everything and it was all good.
I wouldn't eat again at the Japanese restaurant on the property, food was ok, but definitely pricey (well, it is the same in any resort on the island, so can't really complain about this).
In summary, I can't wait to go back again. This place is truly amazing and the people working there are making it even better. If there was another star I would add it to my review.
Thanks for turning an amazing vacation into a real memory.

Green Features: they don't use plastic water bottle and give you a refillable water. Only issue with this is that since it is a new bottle it smells of plastic.
1 Thank ilcontemascet
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I experienced a few notable problems at this resort notwithstanding its beautiful grounds and modern appeal. My fiancee and I actually came here predisposed to love the hotel, so it's honestly frustrating that we felt compelled to write this review post our experience. Despite the many positive reviews that may be written about this place, it was clear post the stay that I just had that there are enduring miscommunication issues with the staff.

Why was I initially coming to the Andaz excited? One reason is because my fiancee's cousin works at the Andaz in West Hollywood, and so we've been followers generally of the Andaz and its new properties. Also, relevant to this particular visit, we are planning a wedding in Maui for 2015, so we decided to come over and visit a number of different venues. We picked the Andaz as a our home base for the trip because it's new, and we figured we would also check out the hotel as a potential wedding venue. Interestingly, despite the fact that the hotel knew we were seriously considering it as our potential wedding venue, little effort was shown to rectify some of the issues described below.

The issues:

1) On our second night, we returned to the hotel in our rental car and communicated with one of the valet, who indicated that he would take care of our car. I left my sunglasses in the driver's side cup holder. In the morning, upon receipt of the car, the sunglasses were gone.

Thinking that I had gone crazy, and given that we were in a rush to visit a wedding planner that morning, we left for the day and didn't return until the evening. After scouring our room upon returning just to make sure I hadn't misplaced the sunglasses, we went downstairs and communicated with one of the staff indicating that the sunglasses had been stolen. I would describe their reaction as bordering on skeptical, yet they assured us that they would look into the matter as soon as possible and call us the next day (as we were checking out). No one called the next day; it was as if we never spoke to anyone...

So day of check out, sunglasses gone and staff not checking in with us, we proactively called and spoke with someone at the "front desk" who had no clue of our situation (don't they share notes with each other?) and passed me on to a member of security who indicated that he would look into the issue. Ultimately, we went down to check out and were handed the final bill in a matter of fact fashion with no apologies made for the valet mystery (they even kept the parking charges on the bill!). We mentioned that we wanted to speak with security again given the sunglasses issue and the lady with whom we were speaking just said "Oh yeah, I saw that in the notes." Great, thanks...

Long story short, they sent a member of security upstairs to speak with us, and no surprise, he had zero idea what the issue was because yet again, no one with whom we spoke previously passed along any notes for continuity. Felt uncoordinated and unprofessional. We decided to involve the police since the hotel wasn't showing any effort. The officer that arrived was significantly more solicitous and thoughtful than anyone we dealt with at the hotel all weekend. It was a necessary step because the hotel wasn't showing any effort to rectify the issue or apologize, and they need to be held accountable for the sake of future guests and any similar issues which may arise.

2) The night before checking out, I asked someone downstairs if we could get a razor sent to our room (as mine had a worn blade and I didn't want to drive off property to get a new one). At least 1 hour later in our room, nothing had arrived. I called down again to remind them, and again, we were assured that one would be sent up....Significant time passed yet again, so my fiancee called down. Third time was a charm, almost 2 hours post request. Such a mundane item as a razor is less the issue vs. the principal of having to wait that long in one's room after making 3 distinct requests with significant time between each request.

3) The Wifi in our room barely worked - i.e. disconnected every 30 seconds to 1 minute. For such a modern property and brand new hotel, it was kind of embarrassing. We thought about complaining but given our general experience on the property, we figured it would be a fruitless endeavor.

4) Walls are paper thin. Someone in the room above us had a penchant for dragging a chair/ottoman (something to that effect) across the floor. This person would do it frequently - once at like 3am/4am, which woke us up. I shouldn't need to hear this when I'm trying to sleep. I've stayed at enough hotels that don't have this issue that it's easy to tell the difference. Unfortunate again that a new hotel has this potential issue.

Overall, a beautiful property with some unfortunate coordination issues that make the whole experience less substantive than it should be. I likened this recent stay to that annoying phone issue we've all had at least once in our life where you call "customer service" and get put on hold excessively and/or transferred to a different department/person where you need to re-explain everything you already described to the prior person on the phone. No one should need to have that takeaway after staying at a new resort such as the Andaz.

6 Thank mhershen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!