“A Dining Experience that is Off the Map!”
Review of Ka'ana Kitchen

Ka'ana Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Ka'ana Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Apologies in advance for the loooong review (and the lateness). This is a review of my Ka'ana Kitchen dining experience 9 months ago.

My wife and I stumbled upon the ANdAZ hotel while vacationing in Maui. We decided to dine at their restaurant: Ka’ana Kitchen. Many other reviews have done an excellent job of describing the innovative dishes and kitchen, dining room, and staff. I want to focus on what makes Ka’ana so different and, apparently, successful.

A New Hotel with a New Restaurant.
As a new five star hotel (opened 2013) one would expect the dining room to be very nice and perhaps sophisticated with a corresponding menu. But Maui ANdAZ Senior management decided to do the unexpected instead of the expected. In my opinion, they have taken fine dining off the map and are exploring unchartered waters.

The Dining Room - Fine Dining in a Casual Atmosphere.
The dining room has high ceilings and all windows facing the ocean to give it an open, airy feeling. About a quarter of the tables are on the restaurant balcony that overlooks the cascading pools and the ocean beyond. The remaining three quarters of the tables inside have a view of the ocean or horizon through the windows and large doors that are opened.

The warm, casual atmosphere is created by three things: The casual staff uniforms, the absence of table clothes by using what appears to be teak tables, and the friendliness of the entire staff.

Creating a Chefs Table Experience
In most cities you can hire a private chef to shop and come to your home to prepare custom, gourmet meals for small parties or groups. The food is prepared in front of you in your own kitchen near where you dine. You can interact with the chef and are close to the cooking process, sounds, and smells. The atmosphere is informal, not formal. The food is excellent and service is great.

In some celebrity fine dining establishments, they have the “chef’s table” which is a table placed in the kitchen. Customers, for an additional charge, can dine next to the pass through window/counter and see how a celebrity chef runs a five star kitchen first hand.

The Kitchen
The biggest difference between Ka’ana Kitchen and any other restaurant is the presence of the line cook’s part of the kitchen in the dining room. And that is where the restaurant draws its name from.

By placing the kitchen in the middle of the restaurant, I think Ka’ana Kitchen has tried to give all the restaurant patrons more of a chefs table type experience. Because of the proximity of the kitchen to the customers, you can’t help being more connected to the food preparation.

I do not think “open kitchen” adequately describes just how open the kitchen is: Cooking islands located in the dining room proper. There are no barriers between where the line cooks prepare dishes and the dining area. So the average customer experience is more integrated with the kitchen compared to even the best fine dining restaurant.

Somehow the chefs run this kitchen without accumulating piles of dirty cookware, making an inordinate amount of noise, and scattering food fragments on the floor. All the while they are under pressure to produce innovative, artful, world class cuisine in front of an audience. And they make it look easy. Impressive!

Food Quality
Ka’ana purchases directly from about a dozen local farm/seafood vendors. As such, whatever is in season for those farms is what is featured on the menu. The chefs develop dishes around the ingredients and not the other way around. So the menu changes frequently and the freshness of the ingredients comes through when you taste the dishes. Excellent food quality.

The Menu
The menu is organized by vendor or food type in columns rather than by the type of dish. The evening we went there, the first menu column had three small dishes with ingredients primarily from Surfing Goat Dairy. The second column had two small dishes and one main course each of which centered on asparagus. There were five columns in all. Innovative.

The Dishes
The dishes, small or large, are easily shared or eaten as an individual entrée (just like a chefs table in your home) We ordered four dishes: Watermelon Salad, Asparagus Saute, Onaga (white fish), and Grilled Ahi. Each dish was original because of the preparation, accessory ingredients, and sauces. All of them were delicious and had a very artful presentation. Excellent

Service – Proactive & Attentive Fine Dining
First, the service staff at Ka’ana Kitchen is outstanding. I can’t say enough about how well trained they are. When entering the restaurant, the maître de (Anthony) walked up to greet us instead of waiting for us to reach him. He made eye contact with us the entire time he spoke to us. As we went through dinner service, we could not help but notice that every employee made eye contact with us when we looked at them. And each asked if we needed something. We felt that the entire staff was serving us, not just our server, Sam. Service that is proactive and attentive.

Most restaurants have a few great staff, some good staff, and a few average or poor ones. Ka’ana Kitchen’s management seems to be determined to create a culture of unparalleled service. It seems they want every employee to take responsibility for excellent service, not just a few.

Second, the wait staff are well trained about the menu, which is a given for a fine dining establishment. But our server, Sam (Samantha), was also well versed with how the ingredients in each dish complimented and worked together to create unique flavors. She talked about each dish in a conversational manner, not as a sales person or a robot rattling off a memorized list. I remarked that I was surprised at the depth of her knowledge about the dish. She told me that the servers really had to study each dish.

Third, Sam knew all the steps required to provide true table side service which is one of the hallmarks of fine dining. Not in a stuffy or showy way. Although low key, all of the cues for fine dining were there. Replacing dirty napkins, clean utensils after each course, quick removal of dirty plates, etc, etc. The table always looks clean.

After deciding on the dishes, the server discusses then recommends in what order the dishes will be served. The order of the service, in a way, creates the structure (courses) of the meal. As mentioned, clean silverware is set after each course.

If asked, the sommelier will recommend wine pairings for each course, which I allowed them to do. I enjoyed two different reds with our meal. Both were excellent selections in themselves and paired well with the food.

Since the order of serving the dishes is not conventional or fixed, the kitchen staff needs to adjust to whatever order the customer and server decide upon. The kitchen staff becomes part of the service experience. In addition, patrons can visit the kitchen area of the dining room anytime to see how dishes are being prepared. Again, the kitchen becomes part of the dining experience.

A Totally Integrated Experience
Ka’ana Kitchen has created an integrated dining experience between the customer, kitchen, food, and dining room. There are many fine dining cues but they are inserted where applicable into the total dining experience.

Most restaurants can be broken into discreet areas: service, food quality, atmosphere and price. Ka’ana has rewritten this formula so that the boundaries between each area are integrated and thus blurred. One thing is clear though; they have made a huge bet that excellent quality food, service, and atmosphere can render top prices secondary in the customers mind. In this, I think they have succeeded. I look forward to going back. Excellent all the way around. Five Stars. I’d give them six if I could.

4  Thank rjshibata

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was the brunch/dinner spot at the Andaz where we stayed. The menu was quite limiting for someone who doesnt eat pork but we managed. Fresh ingredients thrown together made amazing dishes. The desserts were phenomenal!

1  Thank SamWD2
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Absolutely gorgeous restaurant and the view is the delicious part of the meal. The food is good but the menu is minimal and the prices are just too high for the quality. Our server, from some midwest state, didn't get that we are at the restaurant to eat and speak to each other, not her! Go away lady. We don't care about your life in the least bit, we don't need you to stop at our table every 10 minutes, really. We don't want to spend over $200 and be rushed out the door in 63 minutes. When we ask you to delay putting our dessert order in to the kitchen for 15 minutes, we actually mean it. I don't want to get dessert 8 minutes later. We also don't want to sit on top of other tables when the restaurant only has 4 full tables. Where is the management??? Hello, you need to train and manage your staff to understand they are working to serve - not act, play or entertain the guests.

2  Thank AOneWorldTraveler
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My girlfriend and I were excited to try something new here on Maui. Ka'ana Kitchen did not disappoint!! The food was super fresh, innovative, and YUMMMMMYYYY!!! The quality of the food matched the service and the ambiance of the restaurant. Our server Wiser was the best!! He made some excellent recommendations and really made our meal special, so THANK YOU WISER!!! We look forward to dining with Ka'ana Kitchen again very soon. We are very lucky to have this amazing restaurant on Maui! Keep up the good work!!

2  Thank CaptainWoodysMaui
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I think by the other reviews you can tell that the food here is over the top. It truely is! Only the freshest ingredients, creative menu items, healthy preparations, and priced accordingly. I can't say enough about the food.

Here is the super kicker: it is served by the most helpful , friendly, and hardworking staff you will ever meet. From the hosts, servers, bus people, and kitchen staff (yes you can and will meet them if you do the chef's table option, which I recommend) you will quickly understand that they are all hard working, eager to please, amazingly friendly, well groomed, and people you would like to call friends.

This place has an amazing formula! Honestly I can t say enough good things about this place. I promise you, if you are looking for a fantastic, over the top dinning experience you will find it here!!!! Breakfast, brunch or dinner!

2  Thank MerleAsper