“Great to try new things”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wailea Ike Dr.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Great to try new things”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The majority of the menu is preparations that were new to us, it would have been helpful to have a but more guidance on the best way to order. However everything we ordered was delicious, the king crab legs are good but spicy! Cod was to die for. We had both lunch and dinner here, seemed very decadent to have a poolside lunch here!

Visited April 2014

• Korean first
Kona hawaii
“I Wanted to Like It, But...”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Ok. So, my wife and I are foodies and closet food channel maniacs. We watch all chopped episodes as well as iron chef. She is Asian and I am Italian. We love Japanese food and the price of food is rarely if ever the point with us.

Morimoto disappoints on so many levels.

We ordered the price fix chef's choice.

Service - the wait staff is well trained but not particularly deep on knowledge. They can repeat what they were told about items but you are left feeling hollow and rushed.

The presentation of the food could be spectacular were it not for the fact that it too seemed like a line chef rushed it. Evidence is in the grease streaks on each plate where they clearly tried to wipe it clean before presenting. Sorry guys, grease reflects poorly on presentation.

Some dishes were quite creative and certainly not to be missed. Others left one feeling like Morimoto himself wanted to impress the judges abs went a little far with complexity.

The price is, well, extreme.

My recommendation is that if you want an amazing experience, skip this one and instead go to Kana Kitchen twice (for the price of one meal here). They are both located in the same hotel.

I will not be recommending this to my foodie friends, and will not go back. I am glad I went once.

Los Angeles
“Superb food”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We had a wonderful lunch--octopus carpaccio, rock shrimp tempura, Califorina roll, soft shell crab roll, Negihamachimaki. It was fabulous. We let the server make suggestions, asked questions, and wound up supremely happy. We went with a rose, which was less pricy than many of the white wines.

Some folks were ordering hamburgers. Go figure.

• Visited April 2014
St. John's, Newfoundland
“Pretentious and over priced, but the food is pretty good”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was expecting more... Too bad

We showed up a few minutes early for our reservation and were "Thanked" by the Hostess as she said she appreciated that we arrived at 6:53 for a 7:00 reservation but she didn't have a server available for us yet or something in that vein? and led us to the pool bar to enjoy a cocktail. No problem, she'll come back for us in 20 minutes.

When she came back to get us, she asked if we had settled up with the bartender yet... Apparently you can't add your cocktails from the bar to your restaurant bill? So we settled up and moved to our table. We met the server, who was on autopilot and he explained the menu in great detail... Well maybe not actually the menu but the Morimoto mystique was explained in detail.

He food was pretty good, I had sushi that I enjoyed and my dinner companion had the fresh caught fish special which she really enjoyed.

I did not like the seating with the tables. I shared a smallish "love seat" bench with the guy at the next table, which was a little too close for comfort in my opinion. The tables were about 6 inches apart and his conversation was right in my ear all night. He was a nice young man, but louder than I wanted and more annoying with each glass of saki.

The service was okay, but petered off at the end of the meal and it took a long time to get the bill before I could escape my accidental table-mate.

The food is good but there are better restaurants close by.

• Visited March 2014
Los Gatos, California
“Not worthwhile for non-fish eaters”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This restaurant is unapologetically a fish lovers restaurant. Mostly sushi and some rice bowls. They can make vegetarian rice bowl and that is very good and so are the vegetarian sushi rolls. But honestly if you don't want fish, there is little point in coming here. The food is all very well made and fresh tasting. The setting by the pool and some views of the ocean is nice as well. The restaurant could have been designed better to have more unobstructed ocean views, though.

• Visited December 2013