“Homemade pastas are yum!”
Review of Matteo's Osteria

Matteo's Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Matteo's Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Price range: US$20 - US$45
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Matteo’s Osteria is Italian Soulfood in the heart of Wailea located at The Wailea Town Center. As the 2016 ‘Aipono Award winners for Best Italian Food on Maui, we invite you to savor our healthy, locally-sourced, homemade pastas, pizzette and entrées. Our traditional style comes from the influence of award-winning Best Chef on Maui, Matteo Mistura, born and raised in Liguria, Italy. If you enjoy a truly unique family style dining experience, we ask you to come for our friendly, attentive staff and tour the world through a glass of wine with the largest wine selection by the glass in the State of Hawaii. Lets not forget about our HAPPY HOUR Menu Monday thru Friday from 3-6 p.m. at our Matteo’s Lounge, where you can receive an assortment of beverages and food at amazing prices.
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We decided to venture away from the seafood restaurants this evening and try Matteo's Osteria. What a great decision! Restaurant has a great amount of energy and staff were very engaged and attentive. I had the Lamb with homemade pasta. This was fantastic...ragout was well-prepared and complemented the yummy homemade pasta. My husband had the beef tenderloin and very much enjoyed his meal. I started my meal with Pasta Fagioli soup which was one of the best I've ever had. My husband had an equally delicious salad. Drinks are also well-done. We both tried the papaya margaritas - - another winner! We didn't have wine this evening...we usually do...next time. They have quite the selection - - one of the best selections I've seen on the island.

Our server, Phillip was incredibly attentive. He made some fantastic dinner recommendations and even offered his perspective on where to have the best breakfasts on the island. He really represents the restaurant well. The support staff was equally fantastic.

2  Thank Judy3720
There are newer reviews for Matteo's Osteria

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had overdosed on fish and seafood for the last few weeks and decided to try Matteo's based on TA reviews. It was better than we anticipated. We shared an excellent salad of local greens, small bits of squash, cheese and candied pecans (a bit too much vanilla and sugar for me) with just the right amount of a light dressing. My husband had a pizza, actually large enough to share, with what he said was the best Italian sausage he has eaten outside of Italy. I had the spaghetti bolognese which was a very traditional style sauce over hefty homemade pasta. The wine list is more than adequate for the type of restaurant and many wines are offered in 3 and 6 ounce pours which are perfect if you want to switch between courses. The only shortcomings: we had to ask for bread with our salad and we were never offered cheese for the pasta (it was not needed, in my opinion, but perhaps others would disagree.)

The wait staff is attentive without being overbearing and both the maître d' and the chef's wife came around to check on our food and service. All in all, a very enjoyable evening. One final point -- even with a gps, it was not easy to find. Calling for directions may be a good idea if you are not local.

2  Thank carebearPittsburgh
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had dinner here based on the recommendation of staff at our hotel. We arrived during happy hour so were able to get some discounts on appetizers and wines by the glass. All food was excellent and featured mostly local ingredients. Wine list was very extensive with more than 50 wines available by the glass. Our server was outstanding and gave excellent recommendations and stellar service. Definitely check this place out!

3  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Would highly recommend this for anyone seeking out some great Italian food. The fish, pasta and pizza were all outstanding and the gluten-free pizza crust was the best we ever had, bar none. Throw in a diverse wine list and excellent service (Charlie was our waiter and everyone from the hostess to our other servers were all helpful and friendly) and our family of five (two adults and three adult kids) had an most enjoyable evening. If we lived here, we'd be going back all the time!

2  Thank DallasAyrUFan
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We ate here based on some of the good reviews from Tripadvisor. I would have to say it was just ok. The location was in a shopping mall just at the end of the Piilani Hwy in Wailea. There is not a view of the ocean, but that is not a problem for us. We were looking forward to some authentic Italian food.
We were seated right away so there was not a wait. The patio was closed due to a wine function, but the dinning room was nice. The servers and hostess were a little flighty. It was awkward when she was looking up the nightly specials on her iPad and was having trouble. Long awkward silence. She did a good job bringing courses on time, however.
The food was just so-so. I had the roasted beet salad but half of the beets were cooked so much they were a mushy pile. The entrees were just ok as well. The pasta was fresh made so that was a plus but the sauce on the gnocchi was bland. Squash ravioli was better. Dessert was a flour less brownie that was too rich for me, but my mom thought it was very good.

Been to Matteo's Osteria? Share your experiences!