“Nice atmosphere, but nothing special”
Review of Joe's Nuevo Latino - CLOSED

Joe's Nuevo Latino
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Wailea Ike Drive
Description: Joe's Nuevo Latino celebrates the incredible diversity of food from Latino communities around the world. Guests enjoy a culinary journey designed to introduce the best, most inspired Latin flavors blended with fresh, local ingredients. The menu features small and large plates, all equally sharable, and includes dishes such as Peruvian ceviches, Argentinian-style beef with chimichurri, Puerto Rican pastele, spicy shrimp with Ecuadorian corn cakes, Cubano conchita pibil (slow roasted pork shank), chicken tamale with Oaxacan mole, Mexican-style roasted fresh fish, and traditional Spanish pulpo a la plancha (grilled octopus). Guests will experience a contemporary, communal, high energy atmosphere and a bar featuring traditional and imagined cocktails with a particular emphasis on tequila and mezcal. The creative force is Chef de Cuisine Gary Johnson, one of Maui's top up-and-coming young culinary talents and an avid traveler with a passion to share his interpretation of nuevo latino cuisine. The award-winning management team includes partners: Chef Roger Stettler, Chef Bev Gannon, Greg Shepherd
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband liked the ribs. MY fish was drenched in butter and too rich... nothing special. My cocktail was a bust.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We went here for the BOGO special (buy one entree get one free) from 5:30-6:30. The mahi and meatloaf were both solid and I would recommend both. Mai tai was average, a little on the sweet side. I would recommend this place if going for the special pricing. Without the 2 for 1 it is too pricey for what you get and better choices with similar prices like Nick's.

1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I read reviews about Joe's at the Wailea Tennis Club while looking for a place for a reasonably prced dinner and decided to give Joe's a try. Joe's is excellent. They serve fish or bekk tacos at the bar for $4 (Bar only) along with happy hour drinks. The tacos were fantastic. Excellent value. Beers were $3 and Margaritas $5. They also have an $18 all you can eat rib special which we did not try but if the ribs are anything like the beef in the taco is anything , it would be a great deal. The bartender (Steve?) was very friendly and made really good drinks. I highly recommend dinner at Joe's. We can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Sue and I decided on Joe's at the last minute. We had been there about 4 or 5 years ago. She had Monchong with ferns, asparagus, and artichoke potatoes. I had a flat iron steak with a red wine shallot demi glaze and blue cheese potatoes. They were to die for. The Demi glaze was the best I have ever had (if you could only get it in a market). The atmosphere was fabulous (at the Wailea Tennis Center). I did not know that Joes Gannon was one of the members of the original Kingston Trio. The restaurant is packed with memorabilia. Great popular and nostalgic place for dinner!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband & I had dinner for the first time at Joe's just a few weeks ago. From the moment we walked in until we left, we felt like we were visiting friends! I learned about the painting with Joe and all of his friends - great artists we also enjoy. The staff was on top of everything - really there for just the right times when we needed anything. Just really friendly - the food was delicious, we had steaks/seafood between us... comfortable atmosphere and just delightful food prep/presentation... just one of our top spots in S. Maui now!